Corinth plant closing to leave 400 wi...

Corinth plant closing to leave 400 without jobs

There are 92 comments on the Djournal.com story from Aug 7, 2010, titled Corinth plant closing to leave 400 without jobs. In it, Djournal.com reports that:

Quad/Graphics Inc. will close its Corinth plant by the end of the year, a move that leaves about 400 employees without a job.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Djournal.com.

Past and Present

Canton, OH

#42 Aug 10, 2010
I hear the word on the streets is Bill T may need some help getting too and from work...I understand the people are quite upset and he's a little afraid
that something may happen....any truth to this ??
Billy

Naperville, IL

#43 Aug 10, 2010
ThatGirlinMS wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm confused. Yes, they have been sending machines to Corinth and spending money there. I've heard it referred to as World Color's 'Premiere' plant. That didn't stop Quad from closing it and my husband losing his job...even worse, Quad cited that all the Southern plants being closed are pretty much out-of-date. Corinth just lost 1 week vacation and 10% pay + only getting paid for 36 hours for a reg week with overtime not starting until 40 hours are met.

I remember when the main man at Quebecor came down and had them tear down the back break room. A lot of folks were already working 12 hours without breaks and eating on the presses. I've been trying to get my hubbie out of there for years. I'm just so upset for the families where all their income comes from World Color.

Corinth was considered a premier plant only when it had the National Geographic Society account. Donnelley had printed National Geographic Magazine in letterpress. W. F. Hall's Chicago Rotoprint plant did some rotogravure tests in an attempt to move NGS away from letterpress and into gravure.

Corinth (which, when built around 1976 was called Hall of Mississppi, Incorporated) was essentially two separate plants. One part was devoted exclusively to NGS and the other was for Avon Products and for other accounts which were slowly moved from Chicago Rotoprint and W. F. Hall's Diversey Avenue plant.

The NGS part was entirely devoted to that magazine. All production equipment (including rotogravure and web offset presses, side-wire binders, etc.) was purchased for NGS by Hall and the cost for all of that equipment was amortized over ten years, after which time it became NGS's property. Corinth's NGS customer service people handled ONLY that account.

During Corinth's heyday, it made money hand over fist, due to the cost-plus nature of the contract.(Hard to believe, perhaps, but even plant-caused makeovers were covered by that clause!) When the NGS contract was renewed, that cost-plus thing went away, and with it went much of Corinth's profitability.

By the time the next contract renewal came up, NGS wanted to change many things (including a switch from side-wire to perfect binding) which would have made all of that equipment obsolete. During the years of Corinth's existence, the name changed from Hall of Mississippi to:

(1986) Krueger Ringier Incorporated
(1990) Ringier America, Incorporated
(1996) World Color
(1999) Quebecor World
(2009) Worldcolor
(2010) Quad/Graphics

As had been the case with most of our plants, when Quebecor took over, things really went to hell. It is heartbreaking to see so many good people in all parts of the country lose their livelihoods and their careers. I realize that I may be somewhat prejudiced, but it certainly appears that plants in the south (and particularly those in Tennessee) have been hit the hardest.
ThatGirlinMS

Tupelo, MS

#44 Aug 10, 2010
Billy wrote:
<quoted text>
Corinth was considered a premier plant only when it had the National Geographic Society account. Donnelley had printed National Geographic Magazine in letterpress. W. F. Hall's Chicago Rotoprint plant did some rotogravure tests in an attempt to move NGS away from letterpress and into gravure.
Corinth (which, when built around 1976 was called Hall of Mississppi, Incorporated) was essentially two separate plants. One part was devoted exclusively to NGS and the other was for Avon Products and for other accounts which were slowly moved from Chicago Rotoprint and W. F. Hall's Diversey Avenue plant.
The NGS part was entirely devoted to that magazine. All production equipment (including rotogravure and web offset presses, side-wire binders, etc.) was purchased for NGS by Hall and the cost for all of that equipment was amortized over ten years, after which time it became NGS's property. Corinth's NGS customer service people handled ONLY that account.
During Corinth's heyday, it made money hand over fist, due to the cost-plus nature of the contract.(Hard to believe, perhaps, but even plant-caused makeovers were covered by that clause!) When the NGS contract was renewed, that cost-plus thing went away, and with it went much of Corinth's profitability.
By the time the next contract renewal came up, NGS wanted to change many things (including a switch from side-wire to perfect binding) which would have made all of that equipment obsolete. During the years of Corinth's existence, the name changed from Hall of Mississippi to:
(1986) Krueger Ringier Incorporated
(1990) Ringier America, Incorporated
(1996) World Color
(1999) Quebecor World
(2009) Worldcolor
(2010) Quad/Graphics
As had been the case with most of our plants, when Quebecor took over, things really went to hell. It is heartbreaking to see so many good people in all parts of the country lose their livelihoods and their careers. I realize that I may be somewhat prejudiced, but it certainly appears that plants in the south (and particularly those in Tennessee) have been hit the hardest.
This plant has been in my life all my life. My grandmother, mother, stepfather, husband, 3 uncles, myself, my brother, my brother-in-law....they have all supported their families throughout all the plant names. Everyone just needs to realize what a lifeblood this plant is and has been for Corinth. It's all a lot of people know. I just hope folks can find other ways to make money - legally!
Daltrey

Corinth, MS

#45 Aug 10, 2010
I worked in National Geographic up until we lost the contract and unfortunately had to watch about 300 people lose their jobs. I worked on one of the avon lines for years up until we lost that contract too. Ninety percent of our equipment is old and worn out and we did the best with what we had. Just like an old automobile there has to come a point when you realize all your doing is wasting more and more money by trying to keep it running. Unfortunately the last two companies that owned us were more worried about expanding and trying to put the competition out of business that they didn't realize the importance of investing in new technology and equipment. Harry Quadracci understood this and hopefully his son will continue it.

Best of luck to all the quad graphics/world color family out there.

Daltrey
3rd shift
Mueller Martini Supra operator
Down But Not Out!
Past and Present

Canton, OH

#46 Aug 10, 2010
My question is still this...the last few years they have been bringing in machines to install from
various places, you mean to tell me of those machines none were up to date...I was in there to visit once and I saw people installing machines, junking the old ones they had, plus had trailers waiting in the parking lot with others just waiting their turn to be installed...they took various jobs from the Franklin plant, we all just thought Big T was
doing his song & dance and seemed to be getting what he wanted not counting all that money they gave him, plus the transfers of personnel...you mean they pissed all that away on out dated stuff...
Past and Present

Canton, OH

#47 Aug 10, 2010
Pencil-pushers, they think they know it all.
Billy

Naperville, IL

#48 Aug 10, 2010
Past and Present wrote:
My question is still this...the last few years they have been bringing in machines to install from
various places, you mean to tell me of those machines none were up to date...I was in there to visit once and I saw people installing machines, junking the old ones they had, plus had trailers waiting in the parking lot with others just waiting their turn to be installed...they took various jobs from the Franklin plant, we all just thought Big T was
doing his song & dance and seemed to be getting what he wanted not counting all that money they gave him, plus the transfers of personnel...you mean they pissed all that away on out dated stuff...

The bottom line is that Quad's stuff is better than ours. Period. A lot of the so-called new equipment was simply OLD equipment being cannibalized from other closed or soon-to-be-closed plants.

Generally speaking, you can't have bean-counters running the joint! It doesn't matter if you're making cars, televisions, motorcycles, boats, or if you're a printer. <No offense to any bean-counter who may be attempting to read this.>
Gene

Booneville, MS

#49 Aug 10, 2010
It is hard to imagine corinth, ms without world color. I am so sorry for the employeees and their families. God will orovide. He always has and always will.
Gene

Booneville, MS

#50 Aug 10, 2010
I am so sorry for the employees and their families.
God will provide for them in his way and time. He always comes through.
Past and Present

Canton, OH

#51 Aug 13, 2010
Word on the street is Bill T is working hard, dealing on trying to stay with Quad at another position within...not going well, hear Quad doesn't want him...any truth !!
Billy

Naperville, IL

#52 Aug 13, 2010
Past and Present wrote:
Word on the street is Bill T is working hard, dealing on trying to stay with Quad at another position within...not going well, hear Quad doesn't want him...any truth !!

Does ANYBODY want him? I've never heard anything positive about him ...
Helpful

Brandon, MS

#53 Aug 13, 2010
Past and Present wrote:
Not sure what your past beef is with Bill but this isn't the time or place for you to vent. Closing a plant isn't decided at the local level. He is a casualty just like all of his employees he tried to protect. This is the reality of corporate America today. Merging, downsizing, outsourcing happens everyday everywhere. Hopefully our city will change its leadership and attract new industry potential to Corinth very soon.
Carol

Corinth, MS

#54 Aug 13, 2010
Helpful wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure what your past beef is with Bill but this isn't the time or place for you to vent. Closing a plant isn't decided at the local level. He is a casualty just like all of his employees he tried to protect. This is the reality of corporate America today. Merging, downsizing, outsourcing happens everyday everywhere. Hopefully our city will change its leadership and attract new industry potential to Corinth very soon.
You must b a blooming IDIOT! Mr. T and the rest of the big-wigs have mismanaged the plant for many years now. Many people blame them for putting the company UNDER-PRODUCTION with the misuse of the company $ and time! I sincerely hope that Quad terminates ALL upper level management....it's only FAIR! And I think that this is the perfect time to vent and lay blame. The clock is ticking REGARDLESS of what people may say. And I sure hope that MR. T and his sidekicks don't screw around and mess up during the next 4 months or Quad may just come in and shut down earlier than December! Since the announcement the PLATING Dept. has had many BOO-BOOs! If the first dept can't even get the book off of the ground which comes from plating....then we might as well just go ahead and hang it up! It's not the employees fault the blame goes way HIGHER UP in the chain of command....PERIOD!
Billy

Naperville, IL

#55 Aug 13, 2010
Helpful wrote:
<quoted text>

Pardon me, Sir, but this is PRECISELY the time and the place for people to "vent" as you put it. Hundreds of good people are about to lose their livelihoods, and if they truly feel that plant management is the culprit, why is that a problem for you?

People feel that despite the millions of dollars which were poured into the Corinth plant during the past five years, the plant was poorly managed and the money was squandered.

Your post really said NOTHING positive about the Corinth management team. It was just a restatement of things which everybody knows, and then you say it's the "CITY OF CORINTH" which needs new leadership. So what's your beef with THEM?
Anonymous

United States

#56 Aug 13, 2010
Oh, it will shut down before Dec.! How about 900 jobs. 400 full, 250 part, post office, first tier and second tier suppliers, delivery people, outside (local) contractors, landscapers. Thanks Mr T. Your the man.
So ya know

Bowling Green, KY

#57 Aug 13, 2010
Helpful wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure what your problem is either. The poster merely asked a question regarding Bill Tallent and his possible future with Quad. If you must defend him then go ahead, however, don't accuse someone of 'venting' when all was done was to ask a question.
EX WC Employee

Hornsby, TN

#58 Aug 13, 2010
Helpful wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill NEVER protected anyone except himself and Leonard Jefferson. He would pitch you under the steam roller in a heartbeat if he thought it would save the two of them. He once stated that Leonard Jefferson was THE reason that everything was running so well in the plant. THAT shows you how well he knew what was going on. Jefferson always was, and always will be, an idiot. The man doesn't know how to "DO" anything. All he ever did was "manage", and not very well. If it wasn't for all the front line supervisors and employees, the plant would not have lasted as long as it did.

Bill Tallent deserves NO credit for "protecting" the employees.

The sad thing is, that he will doctor up his resume, and some unsuspecting company will hire him to mis-manage their plant. He will probably hire Leonard Jefferson to make things "run smooth" again.

As far as I'm concerned, all "mr. Bill" deserves is an a** kicking from the employees that he was supposedly "protecting"
Uncle joe

Hornsby, TN

#59 Aug 13, 2010
Carol wrote:
<quoted text>
You must b a blooming IDIOT! Mr. T and the rest of the big-wigs have mismanaged the plant for many years now. Many people blame them for putting the company UNDER-PRODUCTION with the misuse of the company $ and time! I sincerely hope that Quad terminates ALL upper level management....it's only FAIR! And I think that this is the perfect time to vent and lay blame. The clock is ticking REGARDLESS of what people may say. And I sure hope that MR. T and his sidekicks don't screw around and mess up during the next 4 months or Quad may just come in and shut down earlier than December! Since the announcement the PLATING Dept. has had many BOO-BOOs! If the first dept can't even get the book off of the ground which comes from plating....then we might as well just go ahead and hang it up! It's not the employees fault the blame goes way HIGHER UP in the chain of command....PERIOD!
IF the prep departments can't produce fast enough, it's probably because they don't have equipment capable of the task. Bill Tallent would not invest in what was reuired, instead he put all the money into the bindery that never ran but 2 days a week. He was repeatedly told by the supervisors in the prep areas twhat needed to be done, but ignored them. He ALWAYS blamed "the people" for not doing better.

Corinth was set up to be a long run facility. It was never designed to handle the hundreds of cylinders and plates that are being attempted now.

The idiots in charge never could understand that..........
NickDanger

Houston, TX

#60 Aug 14, 2010
Future Ex-Quad Employee wrote:
<quoted text>
Wish y'all had kept your "Golden Boy."
I watched a program on television several years ago: someone gave a homeless person a lot of money (a million dollars, I think). They followed him with cameras to see how he would spend it and how long it would last him. Less than a year later, he was broke. He spent it on worthless whores, expensive vehicles, and a couple of houses. A wise man would have bought himself a modest home and car. He would have educated himself for a good job. He would have invested or saved part of the money.
Our leaders in Corinth made bad business decisions and squandered most of our millions. They bought old worthless equipment and spent too much on new unpredictable customers. They spent a quarter of a million dollars just to dig up the floor and reinforce it to put in an old worn out press to print News America. They also installed several inserter machines. I cannot remember how long, but we did not print it long enough to justify the expenditure.
We have two perfect binders that seldom get used. We already had one that was not used very much. And, lo and behold, they purchased another that was used even less. Bindery operators are forced to steal parts off lines that are not running in order to run their lines. We threw thousands of dollars of parts away while cleaning house for company.
We have an auto-bander in shipping that was installed and has never been functional. We spent thousands of dollars on salaries for too many supervisors.(At one time, I think we had three bindery supervisors for each of our four shifts of twelve hour crews. We now work eight hours.)
Sounds like St Cloud-(At one time, I think we had three bindery supervisors for each of our four shifts of twelve hour crews. We now work eight hours.)
Joel Q

United States

#61 Aug 14, 2010
Yes printing is alive
&fe ature=related

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corinth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
what city worker DUI 4 hr Ashcraft 27
murder trial of woody 4 hr carl 1
rigged 6 hr averagejoe 1
Hmmm 7 hr Catapult 4
Tyler Robbins 8 hr kermit 10
Who are they trying to fool? 8 hr extraextra111 2
Things to do for kids 10 hr free 10

Corinth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance