Comments
1 - 20 of 466 Comments Last updated Tuesday Aug 12
First Prev
of 24
Next Last

Since: Jun 08

Topix Headquarters

#1 Mar 24, 2011
Hey Corinth! I've noticed a lot more activity here and just want to let you know that we Topix Mods are here to answer your questions.

Also I've seen a lot of name threads and wanted to remind everyone that posting personal information about people without their permission and cyber-bullying are not allowed. If you see any posts that need removing please click the "report" link and let us know!

Thanks,
Top Mod 5
(admin@Topix)
Concerned

Atmore, AL

#2 Mar 24, 2011
Hopefully you can help monitor this more often because this openness has caused so much controversy. Some of us try reprising stuff but sometimes it is hard to keep up and you can't report from the mobile site. Some of these names are even of minors. Being a high school student I know that they use this to start trouble. Will you be helping by watching the forums more often?
barbara

Tupelo, MS

#3 Mar 24, 2011
how do you delete a post?

“I find no solace in solitaire”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#4 Mar 24, 2011
I agree. Many people use the mobile site, and it's a big problem that abuse can't be reported from my phone.

Very glad to see you finally recognizing that this is an epidemic problem, especially for the young people!

“MDK”

Since: Mar 11

Corinth (for the time being)

#5 Mar 24, 2011
What about assigning Local moderators who have shown to not be biased against one or the other? A sort of privilege that can be revoked if abused? That would make a good start because with the amount of name-calling on here, it's gotta be really hard for just one person to get to it all at one time, and just from what I've seen, it would be a full time job in itself.

Just a thought. I have mod background experience, and have even held my own sites. On my sites, everyone had to register, and they had to read and abide by the rules and regulations that I posted for the site. I went on a two strike rule: One strike - PM warning about inappropriate behavior, second strike was immediate IP ban. It might decrease the traffic flow on here, but it would help those of us who are trying to get a positive experience from Topix.

Just some ideas.

Location hidden

#6 Mar 24, 2011
MDK,
I've wondered why they didn't use this model too. Most boards have done it for years.

One issue here is that there is no banning. They allow anybody to post from anywhere with no registration.

As for the mods being local, it's tough on the mods because everyone screams bias. But the fix for that is simple:

Only allow deletion of truly criminal posts. That is, posts that defame. This includes accusations of criminal activity, sexual activity, social disease, sexual orientation, and health privacy issues.

Otherwise it would stay "anything goes" almost between posters using their screen names. So when the geniuses say I'm gay, that's acceptable, because I'm just "Bob", and not a "real" person. If a mod starts messing with that kind of verbal sparring, it's a bottomless pit.

The only exception would be death threats...where a person (a Klan representative allegedly), tells me he's going to "find me, pull me out of my house, and kill me". That's illegal.

The only other problem is that members would have to KNOW that mods have no access to our email addresses used for registering. This would only cause some to beg to get chosen, just to try to uncover identities. Now obviously this is ridiculous. But we've seen this week just how ridiculous a few of these people are.

“MDK”

Since: Mar 11

Corinth (for the time being)

#7 Mar 24, 2011
Ok well in depth... The posts wouldn't be DELETED per-say, but put into a private 'archive' for future reference. The banning can be done, it's not difficult. I'm sure TM5 has had to ban at least a few in his/her time. I sincerely dislike minors names being brought up. Personally I dislike ANYONE having their name on here especially when they can't defend themselves. That really irks me, but that's another rant for another day...

As far as Emails, Only admin would have access to those. Mods can be removed if shown to be abusing their powers. Also, it shouldn't be a case of 'Pick me to be a moderator' as it would have to be an Admin decision, and that would have to be made directly in part of how the poster handled themselves. It's a crime to look up people's email addresses, and personal information, so that should be known FIRST before anyone can be accepted into a moderator position.

For banning: Mods send the post that incriminates the individual to the admin, along with a recommendation for banning. I think if people were required to register first and foremost and forced to agree to the terms of service, then there would automatically be a BIG drop in the b.s. Wouldn't permanently disband it, but it would put a dent in it.

Death threats: Automatically saved in archives, and reported to the correct authorities. No exception.
Vroom

United States

#8 Mar 24, 2011
Although I'm glad to see SOMETHING being done to address this issue, it's a half-a@@ed effort at best. I think Topix, LLC is being reactive instead of proactive...this site is Pandora's box. I did a little research and found some info that stated that there were only 20 moderators nationwide and that was only AFTER they entered into an agreement with several states attorney general's offices as a result of numerous complaints and law suits.

Location hidden

#9 Mar 24, 2011
Vroom wrote:
Although I'm glad to see SOMETHING being done to address this issue, it's a half-a@@ed effort at best. I think Topix, LLC is being reactive instead of proactive...this site is Pandora's box. I did a little research and found some info that stated that there were only 20 moderators nationwide and that was only AFTER they entered into an agreement with several
states attorney general's offices as a result of numerous complaints and law suits.
Great post, Vroom. Interesting and very much agree. If they only have 20 there is certainly no hope of protecting vulnerable kids.

I, like you,(and I like you, but I digress) felt today when I saw this that it was token. Apparently the total anonymity of not registering and posting literally anything goes is their big hook. They aren't going to give that up until legislated in each state to do so.

I used to blog some on a city's newspaper site that I lived in. There were a good hundred or more regular posters, all registered. The discussions were incredibly vibrant, sometimes angry, and always interesting.

But the venture was a total failure. Advertisers only pay for unique hits. So a regular community of 100 is worthless. But here, even in a small town, they are getting hundreds. And much of it is because a person can be "wow", "haha", and "john"....all in a five minute span.

It's cheap shock jock stuff, but it's their play for mouse clicks, and it works.
Vroom

United States

#11 Mar 24, 2011
fawk q wrote:
How about the moderators take the persons ip and ban their ip from the site
Please refer to Names_Bob post fit answer. They're not the least bit interested in banning anything. Smut sells...Jerry Springer-renember him?
beezabug

Philadelphia, PA

#14 Mar 25, 2011
Grab a cup of coffee and put on your snuggie; you are going to spend a lot if time here. Get comfy . . .
Just wondering

United States

#15 Mar 25, 2011
How many suicides is it gonna take to have this website shut down? U people outta be ashamed....

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#16 Mar 25, 2011
$50 million is probably more accurate but you're right. How many times have we talked about this? It's not Topix that is inherently bad, its the users. It's the same as blaming the gun for the murder. You, Bob, and I know more than anyone on here how evil-hearted the people of Corinth have become with this weapon at their disposal. It has become the one final resource they needed to become the ultra-religious, isolation-minded terrorists that they have longed to become for so long. MDK: I think you are on the right track. Bob has offered some good counter points. Any level headed individual knows that brainstorming brings out better results so keep at it. As for you Mr./Ms. Moderator: you are late, but I'm glad to see you nonetheless. When I was stalked and threatened to have my identity exposed, I felt helpless. I don't know where you are from, but I know you've heard plenty of stories about the South. Most of those stories are a total farce, but you can believe this: anyone that posts a name thread, or tries to expose a users identity is trying to bring physical harm on that individual. Do not get caught up in any lie to persuade you otherwise. The attack that I endured was an attempt by religious terrorists, to let the "right" people know my identity, so they could physically harm my family and I. As crazy as that sounds, I'm the one that lives here, therefore I know what and who I'm talking about. No one should have to endure the attack that Names_Bob and I encountered. Never in a million years would he or I try to expose someone because they believe differently than us. It's wrong and dangerous. The ball is in your court now. You have acknowledged that you are now aware of the evil people on this site. It is now your responsibility to handle the situation. "I didn't know" or "I wasn't aware" will not cut it from this point on.
MasterBlaster wrote:
<quoted text>
somebody needs to give me a million dollars. to hell with loaning me 5 bucks, i need a million dollars.
that's parallel to the same request.
FYI

United States

#17 Mar 25, 2011
I just wanted to keep this post at the top of the list, so more people will actually read it!
Baptist Mafia

Corinth, MS

#18 Mar 25, 2011
Watching and waiting, Lee Ann.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#19 Mar 25, 2011
You and those like you are a problem. Your name says it all.
Baptist Mafia wrote:

Location hidden

#20 Mar 25, 2011
Baptist Mafia wrote:
To each his own obsession, Mr. Scary.

I'd respectfully recommend an occasional stroll outside in the sunlight or maybe a game show on GSN.

By the way...do you do bathroom breaks, or have you had a catheter installed?
anon

Madison, MS

#21 Mar 25, 2011
The mods are asleep.
Say What

Mount Juliet, TN

#22 Mar 25, 2011
Only city I've seen with a moderator. Corinth has one of only 20 mods in the country. They are ranking high.
Vroom

Philadelphia, PA

#23 Mar 25, 2011
Say What wrote:
Only city I've seen with a moderator. Corinth has one of only 20 mods in the country. They are ranking high.
All the moderators are located in one place-California. There have been numerous report abuse threads, legal threatienings,etc. For them to look at it and say, "children, be nice".....it's a joke, really. There is something called Internet libel and the majority of the posters are certainly guilty of that. Problem is, the law is behind and slow change compared to the fast changing technology. Add that the statute of limitations on this kind of crime is one year, and there is little that can be done on the individual level...so slow courts, fast technology, nothing gets resolved.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 24
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corinth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mexicans Angry About Illegal Aliens 9 min obummers fault 132
Jimmy Langston dunebugg 27 min That country women 9
homeless man purdy svhool road.bridge 30 min An Idea 51
warrior stadium 55 min Lightblub 5
Dirty Erotic Smells 1 hr keith 2
who r the pretties woman in corinth n 30's 3 hr Landon 93
Who makes cakes? 4 hr big debbie 12
Spooner 5 hr zellybean 2,322
gina rogers smith 5 hr seriously 26
loss of Chelsey Beavers Fri derdur 12