Should the Tourism budget be cut to h...

Should the Tourism budget be cut to help fund the Arena and city parks?

Created by Tourism Budget Cuts on Aug 29, 2012

221 votes

Click on an option to vote

YES

NO

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Angered citizen

Canton, MS

#1 Aug 29, 2012
Yes. Yes. Yes. I have seen first hand how the Tourism board budget has been squandered. This has become an ego issue. These boards are put in place to serve THE PEOPLE not their egos. The community is supposed to benefit not watch adults argue about this crap. Hey Corinth....wake up.
Over Taxed

Corinth, MS

#2 Aug 29, 2012
This poll should say "Should the City and County raise taxes so that Tourism can keep their money and take expensive trips?". I think they should take even more of the Tourism money and let Tourism cut back on some of their expensive habits!
TheGuitar

United States

#3 Aug 29, 2012
This isn't really a "should" thing, it's a "have to." Years ago when Corinth was an industrial powerhouse, in fact, the most industrialized city in the entire state, and awarded as such, these issues were non existent. But....the people with the money and power in their ignorance and greed decided that they weren't going to reinvest in the capital base of the area by supporting manufacturing, technology, and commercial real-estate development, which is the civil duty of the wealthy, and one way in which they make more money. But instead.....these people decided that Corinth was better suited as a tourism city and thus kicked hundreds of families out of their homes and put a cut little Civil War facility there, and to light the cute little candles once a year, and oh isn't it sweet. This is the idiocy and greed of our community leaders at work, and the dividends are still being paid 25 years out, and it's killed the growth of the city. Hence...we are left with such ridiculous considerations because there simply aren't municipal economic activities that generate funds for such things because there are no people around to do those activities because there are no jobs for them to have because there are no factories for them to work at because Corinth is a tourism city when just 30 years ago it had great manufacturing, economic, employment, investment, and even political power. Now?? Well....the coke plant produces the commemorative bottles.
Citizen Government

Corinth, MS

#4 Aug 29, 2012
I for one am tired of seeing that so called tourism department whine and complain about their, or should I say our, tax money being taken away. From what I see all they use it for is a flea market at the depot and going on trips to other places. It seems like all the tourism dollars are doing is making the people that work there tourists to other places during the week and flea market vendors on the weekend.
WrongWrongWrong

Saltillo, MS

#5 Aug 29, 2012
Citizen Government wrote:
I for one am tired of seeing that so called tourism department whine and complain about their, or should I say our, tax money being taken away. From what I see all they use it for is a flea market at the depot and going on trips to other places. It seems like all the tourism dollars are doing is making the people that work there tourists to other places during the week and flea market vendors on the weekend.
The Tourism department DESERVES to keep that money. Look at all the good groups they support in this town. I think they are doing so well that they want to hire a new full time salesman too.
Taxed to The Max

Corinth, MS

#6 Aug 29, 2012
WrongWrongWrong wrote:
<quoted text>
The Tourism department DESERVES to keep that money. Look at all the good groups they support in this town. I think they are doing so well that they want to hire a new full time salesman too.
I looked far and wide and could see not one thing that they did that helped this city. Drive down 72 highway and look at all the empty buildings and tell me the money would not be better spent attracting industry. Not rich people parting at Pickwick and creating crony jobs for a few friends. Hardly a way to build a city.
Citizen Government

Corinth, MS

#7 Aug 29, 2012
WrongWrongWrong wrote:
<quoted text>
The Tourism department DESERVES to keep that money. Look at all the good groups they support in this town. I think they are doing so well that they want to hire a new full time salesman too.
Is the salesman to help them sell things at the flea market or just someone else taking taxpayer funded junkets? And if the groups are so good then why don't the government just take more money from tourism and give directly to them?
oh yea

Corinth, MS

#8 Aug 29, 2012
YES it should be taken away. Just a few weeks ago a promoter came in and put on a concert it sold out the promoter walked away with 200 K profit and the arena might have made 10 k if they were lucky why> because they dont have the money to buy the shows because The Tourism Klan wants to hoard that money to keep the flowers pretty how many people you think visit our city to see flowers or luminations? REALLY
Also vist the DEPOT what the deal with Coke having a private run musuem in a Depot? People who come to concerts,rodeos and etc at the arena buy gas here ,eat here, lodge here and you want everybody to be opposed to it because they devide $15k a year among 40 groups I heard the mayor of Farmington is upset that they will lose the $1500 a year tourism gives them to put on The Battle of Farmington I would give it back if I was the mayor! If he can have a Battle for $1500. he needs to run for Prsident of the United States of America Also I thought to be on the tourism board you have to be connected to a business with food one guy on there his only connection is that he works for ACE ?????
And this is a challenge find the names of each board member on tourism then ask them who appointed them then you will find out whos hoarding the money and why our town cant move forward END THE TRIPS YOUR PARTYS OVER!
Lillee

Corinth, MS

#9 Aug 29, 2012
The tourism board is funded by the 2% added tax on food and hotel lodging. 1% goes to the arena the other 1% goes to the tourism board. If tourism spends their money on parties, trips, & flea markets, what exactly is the arena doing with THEIR 1%? Also, it was my understanding that the law was set up where no one could take the Tourism Board's money without repealing the tax altogether.
Bad 4 Business

United States

#10 Aug 29, 2012
They need to focus on their job and stop spending money on the green market.. That market is bad for the downtown businesses. I've heard the business owners complain about it many times. They hate it. cuts into their business and vendors don't collect or pay taxes.

Personally I can't stand the lady over the market in the tourism office. She's been rude to me and to my wife when asked about setting up a booth. It's not what you say sometimes as much as how you say it.

The city needs to focus elsewhere. It's a bold move and I applaud them for putting their foot down. Tourism, really? People are intrigued by our history but it hardly makes it much of a travel destination. Bring on some real good shows and some nice restaurants that can sell booze and people will come.
oh yea

Corinth, MS

#11 Aug 29, 2012
The Arena is paying ACE $10,000.00-$17,000.00 Power Bills WITH THIER 1% and there contract reads the lowest a bill can be is 30% of the higest bill so a county and city owned building can sit vacant for a month and the minimum the bill can be is $5000.00 a month sitting in the dark ACE IS A RIP OFF! Go in a bank downtown do you see a armed guard? NOPE Go pay your water bill see a armed guard NOPE But go to pay your electric bill and they have a armed guard WHAT DOES THIS TELL YOU? Id GUESS IF THEY HAVENT ALREADY robbed YOU HES THERE TO FINISH THE JOB???????
Bubba

Corinth, MS

#12 Aug 29, 2012
Why do we keep pumping dollars into the arena
when it dose not make enough to pay the power
bills? The arena is a joke.
tourism fan

Tupelo, MS

#14 Aug 29, 2012
Bad 4 Business wrote:
They need to focus on their job and stop spending money on the green market.. That market is bad for the downtown businesses. I've heard the business owners complain about it many times. They hate it. cuts into their business and vendors don't collect or pay taxes.

Personally I can't stand the lady over the market in the tourism office. She's been rude to me and to my wife when asked about setting up a booth. It's not what you say sometimes as much as how you say it.

The city needs to focus elsewhere. It's a bold move and I applaud them for putting their foot down. Tourism, really? People are intrigued by our history but it hardly makes it much of a travel destination. Bring on some real good shows and some nice restaurants that can sell booze and people will come.
You are so full of crap! The Green Market is 100% self sufficient! And the downtown businesses do MORE business on GM weekends. They don't sell 'junkets'. It's not First Monday. Really? You need to get a clue. Ask all the LOCAL small entrepreneurs that sell at GM how they like it and they will tell you it is great for business! Oh yeah, but they didn't 'build that!' I can't take you seriously. Sorry.
wondering

Tupelo, MS

#15 Aug 29, 2012
Bubba wrote:
Why do we keep pumping dollars into the arena
when it dose not make enough to pay the power
bills? The arena is a joke.
Show us the missing money before we pump more money into it!! Show us you can even get decent shows before we give you more money. Who is guarding the hen house ????
needajob

Tupelo, MS

#16 Aug 29, 2012
TheGuitar wrote:
This isn't really a "should" thing, it's a "have to." Years ago when Corinth was an industrial powerhouse, in fact, the most industrialized city in the entire state, and awarded as such, these issues were non existent. But....the people with the money and power in their ignorance and greed decided that they weren't going to reinvest in the capital base of the area by supporting manufacturing, technology, and commercial real-estate development, which is the civil duty of the wealthy, and one way in which they make more money. But instead.....these people decided that Corinth was better suited as a tourism city and thus kicked hundreds of families out of their homes and put a cut little Civil War facility there, and to light the cute little candles once a year, and oh isn't it sweet. This is the idiocy and greed of our community leaders at work, and the dividends are still being paid 25 years out, and it's killed the growth of the city. Hence...we are left with such ridiculous considerations because there simply aren't municipal economic activities that generate funds for such things because there are no people around to do those activities because there are no jobs for them to have because there are no factories for them to work at because Corinth is a tourism city when just 30 years ago it had great manufacturing, economic, employment, investment, and even political power. Now?? Well....the coke plant produces the commemorative bottles.
Tourism isn't meant to bring in jobs. It is meant to provide activities and functions so people will come here and spend money. Duh!

The mayor and The Alliance need to be recruiting some industry to come here and create jobs! That is THEIR Job. Classic bait and switch. It's their town now. They own it. I say, get with it or come election time, we will find someone who will!
green market vendor

Saltillo, MS

#17 Aug 29, 2012
Just for the record, I am a Green Market vendor and have set up at every market since last summer and WE PAY TAXES, thank you very much!!! The Green Market committee made it a requirement.
Bad 4 Business wrote:
They need to focus on their job and stop spending money on the green market.. That market is bad for the downtown businesses. I've heard the business owners complain about it many times. They hate it. cuts into their business and vendors don't collect or pay taxes.
Personally I can't stand the lady over the market in the tourism office. She's been rude to me and to my wife when asked about setting up a booth. It's not what you say sometimes as much as how you say it.
The city needs to focus elsewhere. It's a bold move and I applaud them for putting their foot down. Tourism, really? People are intrigued by our history but it hardly makes it much of a travel destination. Bring on some real good shows and some nice restaurants that can sell booze and people will come.
whoareyou

Tupelo, MS

#18 Aug 29, 2012
Angered citizen wrote:
Yes. Yes. Yes. I have seen first hand how the Tourism board budget has been squandered. This has become an ego issue. These boards are put in place to serve THE PEOPLE not their egos. The community is supposed to benefit not watch adults argue about this crap. Hey Corinth....wake up.
What on earth are you talking about? First hand? Really? You have seen money squandered? I tell you what would be considered squandering money. Paying good money to pave streets and then digging up those same streets 2 months later to fix broken, rotten sewer lines. Now THAT, would be squandering money. But hey, what do I know?
Citizen

Pinola, MS

#19 Aug 29, 2012
How much was tourism giving to the arena and park? If the park and arena are just going to be getting the same money but direct from city and county, then I don't really understand the big deal? The arena and the park do just as much to bring people here
Heywood Jablowme

Tupelo, MS

#20 Aug 29, 2012
To The Daily Corinthian:
Please publish the Arena budget and expenditures and then the CACVB budget and expenditures and let the people see what is in the table. This should all be public knowledge.
oh yea

Corinth, MS

#21 Aug 29, 2012
amen

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corinth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
farron gilley 1 hr busted 6
taking advantage of vhurches 2 hr curiosity 2
Stateline mob (Apr '11) 2 hr Rhett Butler 368
gangster disciples (Jun '16) 2 hr Stainless 14
was there a body found in kosduth 2 hr curious 25
DHS is a waste of tax payers money (May '15) 5 hr Cowboy 41
Po po rounds up 6 hr Cowboy 6

Corinth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Corinth Mortgages