How a 19-year-old activist is making ...

How a 19-year-old activist is making life hell for Louisiana’s creationists

Posted in the Corinth Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
the Majestic Fking MB

Great Falls, MT

#1 Jan 15, 2013
For Zack Kopplin, it all started back in 2008 with the passing of the Louisiana Science Education Act. The bill made it considerably easier for teachers to introduce creationist textbooks into the classroom. Outraged, he wrote a research paper about it for a high school English class. Nearly five years later, the 19-year-old Kopplin has become one of the fiercest — and most feared — advocates for education reform in Louisiana. We recently spoke to him to learn more about how he's making a difference.

Kopplin, who is studying history at Rice University, had good reason to be upset after the passing of the LSEA — an insidious piece of legislation that allows teachers to bring in their own supplemental materials when discussing politically controversial topics like evolution or climate change. Soon after the act was passed, some of his teachers began to not just supplement existing texts, but to rid the classroom of established science books altogether. It was during the process to adopt a new life science textbook in 2010 that creationists barraged Louisiana's State Board of Education with complaints about the evidence-based science texts. Suddenly, it appeared that they were going to be successful in throwing out science textbooks.

http://io9.com/5976112/how-19+year+old-activi...
the Majestic Fking MB

Great Falls, MT

#2 Jan 15, 2013
Encouraged by Barbara Forrest, a philosophy professor at Southeastern Louisiana University — and a staunch critic of intelligent design and the Discovery Institute — Kopplin decided to write a letter that could be signed by Nobel laureate scientists in support of the repeal. To that end, he contacted Sir Harry Kroto, a British chemist who shared the 1996 Nobel Prize in Chemistry with Robert Curl and Richard Smalley. Kroto helped him to draft the letter — one that has now been signed by 78 Nobel laureates.
More Guns

United States

#3 Jan 15, 2013
Neither creation or evolution should be taught in public schools. Both subjects should be taught at home. I am a believer in creation but I believe the good Lord gave us a choice to believe or not. I don't want what I feel to be a false doctrine taught to my children.
Fase Palmer

Frisco City, AL

#4 Jan 15, 2013
How a nearly-forty-year-old loser can't leave his home town in the past...
godly man

Bozeman, MT

#5 Jan 15, 2013
Fase Palmer wrote:
How a nearly-forty-year-old loser can't leave his home town in the past...
the difference is you're still there.
godly man

Bozeman, MT

#6 Jan 15, 2013
More Guns wrote:
Neither creation or evolution should be taught in public schools. Both subjects should be taught at home. I am a believer in creation but I believe the good Lord gave us a choice to believe or not. I don't want what I feel to be a false doctrine taught to my children.
you're not good at science, are you?
More Guns

United States

#7 Jan 15, 2013
godly man wrote:
<quoted text>
you're not good at science, are you?
Better than you might think.
David Liebe Hart

New Albany, MS

#8 Jan 15, 2013
More Guns wrote:
<quoted text>Better than you might think.
If you understood science you wouldn't be calling evolution a 'doctrine.' Describing it that way makes it me think you probably don't...
More Guns

United States

#9 Jan 15, 2013
David Liebe Hart wrote:
<quoted text>
If you understood science you wouldn't be calling evolution a 'doctrine.' Describing it that way makes it me think you probably don't...
Sorry I didn't clarify what I meant. By doctrine I mean Christian doctrine. Not all Christian doctrines are the same.
I do know that evolution is considered science. That being said, I don't want something that can't be proved or that I don't believe taught to my children.
godly man

Bozeman, MT

#10 Jan 15, 2013
More Guns wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry I didn't clarify what I meant. By doctrine I mean Christian doctrine. Not all Christian doctrines are the same.
I do know that evolution is considered science. That being said, I don't want something that can't be proved or that I don't believe taught to my children.
like i was saying... you're not very good at science, are you?
More Guns

United States

#11 Jan 15, 2013
godly man wrote:
<quoted text>
like i was saying... you're not very good at science, are you?
My knowledge of the different disciplines of science has nothing to do with the fact that I do not want my children taught evolution.
I'm assuming you think I don't know science because I said evolution can't be proved. The science of evolution to me is a hypothesis.
godly man

Bozeman, MT

#12 Jan 16, 2013
More Guns wrote:
<quoted text>My knowledge of the different disciplines of science has nothing to do with the fact that I do not want my children taught evolution.
I'm assuming you think I don't know science because I said evolution can't be proved. The science of evolution to me is a hypothesis.
there is more evidence for evolution than there is for germ theory, so why don't you just stop bathing and washing your hands?

there are lots of thing that cant be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. evolution isn't really one of them, but nevertheless, it seems strange that you would pick it out of the pack as something that shouldn't be taught. are you sure you're not just biased because of your religion?
okie_dokie

Corinth, MS

#13 Jan 16, 2013
godly man wrote:
<quoted text>
there is more evidence for evolution than there is for germ theory, so why don't you just stop bathing and washing your hands?
there are lots of thing that cant be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. evolution isn't really one of them, but nevertheless, it seems strange that you would pick it out of the pack as something that shouldn't be taught. are you sure you're not just biased because of your religion?

TROLL much??????
More Guns

United States

#14 Jan 16, 2013
godly man wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure I am biased because of my faith, if I'm not I don't have very much faith. We are all biased because of our beliefs.
There is only one thing since time began that has never been disproved (given enough time). That is the Bible. Scientist say the earth is billions of years old. I believe they are wrong. One method they have use is radiocarbon 14 dating or 14c however you want to look at it. They claimed they could date the earth with this method at millions of years. It has been proved that 14c is only accurate to thousands of years. It is funny to me that when one way gets disproved they (the scientist) have to find a new way to try to disprove the Bible.
There is only one constant. The bible says what is says, never changes. It doesn't have to change. Science on the other hand seems to always change to fit the newest "scientist's" theory.
chucky

United States

#15 Jan 16, 2013
Ahhh the liberal , "the God aint real people ,we evolved from Apes millions of years ago" . Well i believe the earth is millions of years old....but i also believe liberals evolved from apes just to humor them & myself . Evolution is & always has been a crock of monkey dumplins that science has never proven because its not possible. Ill study God's word & yall keep slinging your monkey poop.
Gtown71

United States

#16 Jan 16, 2013
More Guns wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure I am biased because of my faith, if I'm not I don't have very much faith. We are all biased because of our beliefs.
There is only one thing since time began that has never been disproved (given enough time). That is the Bible. Scientist say the earth is billions of years old. I believe they are wrong. One method they have use is radiocarbon 14 dating or 14c however you want to look at it. They claimed they could date the earth with this method at millions of years. It has been proved that 14c is only accurate to thousands of years. It is funny to me that when one way gets disproved they (the scientist) have to find a new way to try to disprove the Bible.
There is only one constant. The bible says what is says, never changes. It doesn't have to change. Science on the other hand seems to always change to fit the newest "scientist's" theory.
Very well said!!!
the Majestic Fking MB

Great Falls, MT

#17 Jan 17, 2013
More Guns wrote:
<quoted text>
well, since you just admitted that you're biased on the subject, i think it's only fair that you cite some evidence for how radio carbon dating been proved wrong?

otherwise, you know, i would just assume that you're saying whatever you need to affirm your own beliefs (keyword here being beliefs, not facts).
the Majestic Fking MB

Great Falls, MT

#18 Jan 17, 2013
okie_dokie wrote:
<quoted text>
TROLL much??????
i could see you making that accusation since you don't have a valid argument on the subject.
the Majestic Fking MB

Great Falls, MT

#19 Jan 17, 2013
chucky wrote:
Ahhh the liberal , "the God aint real people ,we evolved from Apes millions of years ago" . Well i believe the earth is millions of years old....but i also believe liberals evolved from apes just to humor them & myself . Evolution is & always has been a crock of monkey dumplins that science has never proven because its not possible. Ill study God's word & yall keep slinging your monkey poop.
prove it.
the Majestic Fking MB

Great Falls, MT

#20 Jan 17, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Very well said!!!
somehow i'm not surprised that you applaud people for taking pride in being biased and ignorant since you're like, the poster child for that sort of thing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corinth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Yellow mustang 6 min Just curious 1
needing info 40 min missing you 2
BrittanySky 1 hr Dopeheads 5
Steely 2 hr Comet 7
Attention STATE TROOPERS 4 hr Chelse 27
paranormal 5 hr Ghost 1 4
Ribshack 5 hr Dad 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Corinth Mortgages