ThyssenKrupp trimming its payroll

Mar 16, 2010 Full story: Mississippi Business Journal 11

WALNUT a ' ThyssenKrupp Elevator will layoff 50 workers at its manufacturing plant in Walnut in Northeast Mississippi.

Full Story
lazyslobs

United States

#1 Mar 16, 2010
Oh dear what a shame...
Now they will have to find somehwhere else to lean on a broom, NEVER have I seen so many lazy ass, ignorant,& under the influence so called workers with NO idea what the word "safety" means under one roof, in all my life!
The Advocate

Corinth, MS

#2 Apr 1, 2010
Notice there has been no mention of the Middleton, TN plant. There have been nearly 450 people laid off at that plant since the late part of 2008. Johnny Abdon, VP of operations still continues to make his bonus check though. The so called union hasn't done much to stop this either. The work was there, but where did it go? Simple, Abdon ran out the back log so he could get his bonuses. The only reason Thyssen Krupp has a union is because many places, such as Canada, will not buy a product unless it is union made. Consequently, the Walnut plant is not unionized. Therefore anything that is made at the Walnut MS plant, is sent to the Middleton TN plant so they can say it came from a union company. Middleton TN is roughly 15 minutes due north of Walnut, MS. They say these cuts are necessary, but funny thing is, after every layoff, the remaining employees usually have to work overtime to make up for the loss of laborer. Here is another fine example. On March 19, 2010, approximately 42 people were laid off, yet on March 26, 27 were called back. Wow, suddenly Johnny Abdon realized he couldn't make month end on the shipments. As a matter of fact, they were begging people to work 10, 12, 14+ hours on the last 2 days of the month trying to get all of the products shipped for the month. It is funny though, because they didn't quite get it all out. I guess Abdon won't get his bonus this time! The poor greedy bastard. I give them maybe a year before both plants shut the doors for good. Thank you "Uncle Johnny"!!
The Advocate

Corinth, MS

#3 Apr 7, 2010
From a post in the Walnut, MS Topix area.
"ABC 7 Eyewitness News has learned that a majority of the company's recent layoffs came at the expense of workers in Middleton."

Yes they are correct. Over the past year or so, approximately 450 people have been laid off from the Middleton TN plant. Since some of these have been laid off for over a year, there may be no chance that they will be called back. The plant recently trimmed over 40 employees from the payroll, but just a week later called around 27 back due to the fact that they had trimmed too many. Many departments within the plant are or have been working overtime due to the cuts. Also the plant missed many month end shipments for March due to the low workforce. Most of this can be blamed on John "Johnny" Abdon, VP of operation at the location. A backlog of jobs have been built up over the past few years, and instead of working the log out over time, he had many departments to work overtime to get shipments out. Why? It's simple. He gets a bonus for getting "X" amount of jobs out per week or month. Some say construction is down, which they may be right. This causes less orders for elevators and escalators. How can Mr. Abdon still make the mark each month? You trim the people on payroll. Although less money is coming in compared to previous months or years, there are fewer employees working, therefore the percentage can be the same or better. This just goes to show that corporate greed still rules. Layoffs may have been inevitable an the plant, but I believe the number could have been less had the greed not played a big factor.
Abdon also either doesn't know, or doesn't care about operations on the floor. Instead of coming out and watching how a process is performed, he will come up with some ridiculous idea of how it SHOULD be done. He simply will not listen to most employees when they make a suggestion if it goes against what he wants. Pay attention to this. Even though many were laid off, most of which were skilled laborers, over 10 jobs were created for salary, or non-floor jobs. Although not confirmed, it is rumored that some of these positions are being paid $250,000 a year or more. What was the average yearly salary for a "floor" employee?$35,000 -$43,000 a year. You do the math. Most of these created positions are redundant or are not necessary.
Over a year ago, ThyssenKrupp announced that they would make a huge investment to purchase punching and forming equipment from an Italian company called Salvagnini. They boasted about how many jobs this would create, and how many millions of dollars they would save because this would reduce the amount of scrap created, and the number of employees that would have to handle the product. What they failed to mention is that even though jobs were created, they were filled internally, and nobody was actually hired. Although the new machinery is fast, and can take a sheet of metal and turn it into a potentially finished product or part, many of the programmers lack the correct training to correctly program the machines. This is not the fault of said programmers, but the fact that they did not want to spend the money to have the right people to come in and teach the employees.
Keep an eye on this post as more information may be released.
Unknown

Cincinnati, OH

#4 Feb 28, 2011
First off, Mr. Abdon is not a greedy (insert word) as you say because in the business world you do what is told for you to do as per I am sure you do as your boss tells you. I understand the need of a company to have a union in order for workers to have their opinions heard and rights acknowledged. You might want to ask many other large corporations where their work goes because I guarantee most of it has gone overseas, not just ThyssenKrupp. It is not just Mr. Abdon who is aware that the overtime needs to be made up for the loss of laborers and as a human being, Mr. Abdon does feel for the workers who have lost their position and what their families have to go through.(I have known Mr. Abdon a long time and I know that as a human being, he does feel for the workers who have been laid off and their families (side note**: Having a large income does not change the human condition). He may still continue to receive his bonus check, not without the pain of having to tell someone that they cannot provide for their families everyday and as a person who has had to lay someone off I am sure that may be difficult. I am quite sure that your numbers and facts may be accurate, but unless someone is your direct boss or you know them as a person you cannot possibly know how they are feeling when they know they have to lay someone off. Maybe before you throw stones at a glass house and call someone a poor greedy (insert word)(double negative), you might want to spend a minute getting to know them personally and not base this off of their business profile.

The Advocate wrote:
Notice there has been no mention of the Middleton, TN plant. There have been nearly 450 people laid off at that plant since the late part of 2008. Johnny Abdon, VP of operations still continues to make his bonus check though. The so called union hasn't done much to stop this either. The work was there, but where did it go? Simple, Abdon ran out the back log so he could get his bonuses. The only reason Thyssen Krupp has a union is because many places, such as Canada, will not buy a product unless it is union made. Consequently, the Walnut plant is not unionized. Therefore anything that is made at the Walnut MS plant, is sent to the Middleton TN plant so they can say it came from a union company. Middleton TN is roughly 15 minutes due north of Walnut, MS. They say these cuts are necessary, but funny thing is, after every layoff, the remaining employees usually have to work overtime to make up for the loss of laborer. Here is another fine example. On March 19, 2010, approximately 42 people were laid off, yet on March 26, 27 were called back. Wow, suddenly Johnny Abdon realized he couldn't make month end on the shipments. As a matter of fact, they were begging people to work 10, 12, 14+ hours on the last 2 days of the month trying to get all of the products shipped for the month. It is funny though, because they didn't quite get it all out. I guess Abdon won't get his bonus this time! The poor greedy bastard. I give them maybe a year before both plants shut the doors for good. Thank you "Uncle Johnny"!!
xoxo

United States

#5 Feb 28, 2011
??????!?!
xoxo

United States

#6 Feb 28, 2011
Xxxxxx
Concerned Employee

United States

#7 Apr 14, 2011
I dont know who you are and I certainly dont understand why you are taking up for Johnny Abdon! He couldnt care less about the employees, myself included. All hes interested in is padding his own pocket. The working conditions are worse now than they have been in the 13 years I have been with the company. And YES, every time he lays off workers, they put everyone else on mandatory overtime! Does that make any sense? NO IT DOES NOT!!!!!
Unknown wrote:
First off, Mr. Abdon is not a greedy (insert word) as you say because in the business world you do what is told for you to do as per I am sure you do as your boss tells you. I understand the need of a company to have a union in order for workers to have their opinions heard and rights acknowledged. You might want to ask many other large corporations where their work goes because I guarantee most of it has gone overseas, not just ThyssenKrupp. It is not just Mr. Abdon who is aware that the overtime needs to be made up for the loss of laborers and as a human being, Mr. Abdon does feel for the workers who have lost their position and what their families have to go through.(I have known Mr. Abdon a long time and I know that as a human being, he does feel for the workers who have been laid off and their families (side note**: Having a large income does not change the human condition). He may still continue to receive his bonus check, not without the pain of having to tell someone that they cannot provide for their families everyday and as a person who has had to lay someone off I am sure that may be difficult. I am quite sure that your numbers and facts may be accurate, but unless someone is your direct boss or you know them as a person you cannot possibly know how they are feeling when they know they have to lay someone off. Maybe before you throw stones at a glass house and call someone a poor greedy (insert word)(double negative), you might want to spend a minute getting to know them personally and not base this off of their business profile.
<quoted text>
Concerned Employee

United States

#8 Apr 14, 2011
If Johnny Abdon is such a good person why is he subing all of our work out to his brother in law Terry Abby where he can get a cut out of it He is for his self not his employes he dont give a damn about us unless ur in the buddy system
Unknown

United States

#9 Apr 14, 2011
Amen! We found out at Thanksgiving that Johnny Abdon sent the multi-million dollar Freedom Towers contract the Middleton plant was awarded to Abby Manufacturing. The union is currently in arbitration with TKE over this issue, but I don't know how much good that will do. The fact is, it is sad that TKE is laying people off due to "lack of work" when they are outsourcing a multi-millon dollar account to Johnny Abdon's brother-in-law. Some laid-off employees have went on to get jobs at Abby to work on a contract that never should have been outsourced.

Also, laying people off the last day before the Christmas shutdown was as low down and sorry as anyone can get. No holiday pay, no insurance. Then Johnny Abdon had some of those people called back to work the day after everyone returned to work after the holiday. How sorry can you get???
BiPolar Bear

Bossier City, LA

#10 Oct 17, 2011
It's great to see Johnny doing what he does best.
realist

Atmore, AL

#12 Oct 19, 2011
everybody is cutting back in one way or another in todays economy. be glad you have a job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corinth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
caterpillar dating service 3 hr trophy wife 71
Sec/college football picks 4 hr Pro picker 175
hot blonde in cracker barrel 4 hr Loosie Goosie 2
mobile patrol 4 hr dumbasses 3
Magnolia 5th floor (Aug '12) 6 hr The man 33
Art Timbes 7 hr Whaaat? 13
Atheist's speak out. 7 hr Fth 705
•••
•••
•••