Greece - Statement of FM Bakoyannis a...

Greece - Statement of FM Bakoyannis at the UNGA

There are 11 comments on the www.isria.com story from Sep 29, 2009, titled Greece - Statement of FM Bakoyannis at the UNGA. In it, www.isria.com reports that:

“Allow me first to congratulate the President of this august body. I am confident that your extensive prior experience will serve us well and guide us through the trials we are called upon to address. I would also like to pay tribute to H.E. Mr. Miguel d'Escoto Brockmann, for his tireless efforts to promote the work of the General Assembly during the 63rd Session.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.isria.com.

Since: Mar 09

Athens, Greece

#1 Sep 29, 2009
"However, long-standing disputes persist. For the past 15 years Greece has participated in UN-led negotiations on the issue of the name of the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. Greece has participated in good faith. Regrettably, no substantive or tangible progress has been made so far, despite the fact that Greece has taken a huge step towards a compromise. We have accepted the use of the term ‘Macedonia’ along with a geographical qualifier that reflects reality. Of the large geographical region of Macedonia, only a part falls within our neighbor's territory. So how can this country claim exclusive rights to the name? The persistence of the leadership in Skopje in pursuing exclusivity over the name by denying a geographic qualifier and the anachronistic rhetoric and policies that run contrary to the principle of good neighborly relations, raise serious questions as to its real motives."

No name change?= NO EU and NATO!

NO EU and NATO?= Break up of monkeydonia!

SIMPLE!
lol

Nijmegen, Netherlands

#2 Sep 29, 2009
let's hope it happens soon.
dinos

Hadera, Israel

#3 Sep 29, 2009
I think this ridiculous farce must stop.

FYROM is dragging the matter indiefinitely. Other
countries are fed up and accept the name Macedonia to get over the matter.

Time is not in Greece's and real Makedonia's advantage.

It is high time for the Greek government to give
an end to the discussions abd start ACTING.
dinos

Hadera, Israel

#4 Sep 29, 2009
ta polla logia einai ftwxeia!
Deste

Piscataway, NJ

#5 Sep 29, 2009
The UN should start paying attention,but is it? Otherwise we should start by complaining that the name brings about confusion to our culture,language,(which is greek) same language Alexander the Great spoke...etc..etc And then Mitsialis should also bring on about the Encyclopedia and how they describe us and where we originate from.
Deste

Piscataway, NJ

#6 Sep 29, 2009
dinos wrote:
I think this ridiculous farce must stop.
FYROM is dragging the matter indiefinitely. Other
countries are fed up and accept the name Macedonia to get over the matter.
Time is not in Greece's and real Makedonia's advantage.
It is high time for the Greek government to give
an end to the discussions abd start ACTING.
I agree Dino...it's got to stop. Now we should say NO to this nonsense. This is not working anymore. No geographical crap. If that's the case then Bulgaria should have just as much rights to the name as well. End of story.We should just keep on VETOing their asses till they get the point..and eventually imlpode as a country.
Geo

Saskatoon, Canada

#7 Sep 29, 2009
Too bad, if everyone hasn't noticed the UN is a tool of the big nations and its inactivity is painful. I mean, why solve problems at the UN when they can use it to stir tensions and then individual countries like the US won't have to.
Deste

Piscataway, NJ

#8 Sep 29, 2009
Geo wrote:
Too bad, if everyone hasn't noticed the UN is a tool of the big nations and its inactivity is painful. I mean, why solve problems at the UN when they can use it to stir tensions and then individual countries like the US won't have to.
I agree with you. All we can do though now is VETO. And we have every right to do so since the UN doesn't do smack.

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#9 Sep 29, 2009
wow

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#10 Sep 29, 2009
lol
Geo

Saskatoon, Canada

#11 Sep 29, 2009
In my book of morals, something like this doesn't happen to an honorable country like Greece. FYROM is in the wrong here. I mean since this even became an issue, FYROM has humiliated itself countless times. So what other conclusion can you come down to other than a number of important countries supporting it in its bid to name itself Republic of Macedonia? A people that came into the region in the 7th Century from Siberia in Russia.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corfu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ralph "Bucky" Phillips Spotted In Chatauqua County (Jul '06) Oct '14 HIGh ya 1,604
News Law and Order: Batavia teenager accused of rape... (Jun '14) Aug '14 shadylady 7
News Law and Order: Suspect in burglary in Corfu arr... (Dec '13) Dec '13 genuine_concern 1
News Man pinned by bulldozer on Boyce Road, Pembroke (Sep '13) Sep '13 Darcie 4
find a man in your town tonight free! (Sep '13) Sep '13 Josephina Baltzer 1
News Victims of possible paving scams asked to come ... (Oct '10) Aug '13 Bill D 3
Burling Drugs (Aug '13) Aug '13 Wny2010 1

Corfu Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Corfu Mortgages