Comments
1 - 20 of 21 Comments Last updated Aug 19, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
WER3

Middlesboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jul 31, 2010
 
Hey, I have a question for anyone who has ever owned fish. Last night when I went to bed, my betta fish was perfectly beautiful and healthy. This morning he was stuck to the cage at the bottom of the pump hose and looked like he'd been chewed up and spit out with no fins at all. He's been in there forever with two other goldfish but they've never bothered him at all, and I have a pump and filter but a cage at the bottom keeps the fish from going in. The same thing happened to another fish of mine about a year ago. Any idea what could've happened overnight?
phishie

Barbourville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jul 31, 2010
 
A fast temperature change can cause finrot to go into like a growth spurt. Check your thermometer and heater. How old was the beta? Could be natural decomp in water with a high nitrogen (ammonia)level
WER3

Middlesboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jul 31, 2010
 
It's a 10 gallon tank and I change 5 gallons of water every 3 or 4 days. The water is so clean so I'm just worried about what happened. My daughter found him first, so that's the hardest part.
uncle woody

Brownsville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jul 31, 2010
 
when you changed the water did use a treatment tablet and let the water get room temp gold fish can almost survive in any kind of water the beta may have shock during the water change
yahoo

Georgetown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jul 31, 2010
 
you never change your water that often. maybe once every couple weeks, if that. that always cause problems.
WER3

Middlesboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jul 31, 2010
 
My water is always room temperature and I do put water treatments. But what could happen from changing the water that often?
WER3

Middlesboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jul 31, 2010
 
phishie wrote:
A fast temperature change can cause finrot to go into like a growth spurt. Check your thermometer and heater. How old was the beta? Could be natural decomp in water with a high nitrogen (ammonia)level
The betta was maybe 6 months old. All that I can think of is that he was sick even though I couldn't tell by how he looked, and maybe he suddenly got weak and was sucked to the cage at the bottom of the hose and that destroyed his fins. That doesn't make sense at all does it? Anyhow...
SMOKIE

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jul 31, 2010
 

Judged:

1

WER3 wrote:
Hey, I have a question for anyone who has ever owned fish. Last night when I went to bed, my betta fish was perfectly beautiful and healthy. This morning he was stuck to the cage at the bottom of the pump hose and looked like he'd been chewed up and spit out with no fins at all. He's been in there forever with two other goldfish but they've never bothered him at all, and I have a pump and filter but a cage at the bottom keeps the fish from going in. The same thing happened to another fish of mine about a year ago. Any idea what could've happened overnight?
You CANNOT KEEP Beta with ANY other fish. they will kill each other and others will kill them/ ONE TO A BOWL.
Interested Person

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jul 31, 2010
 

Judged:

1

SMOKIE wrote:
<quoted text> You CANNOT KEEP Beta with ANY other fish. they will kill each other and others will kill them/ ONE TO A BOWL.
WRONG, you cannot keep a MALE Bata with another MALE Bata (or agressive fish). Goldfish are no problem at all. Also you can have as many females as a tank will hold, its just the Males.
Interested Person

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jul 31, 2010
 

Judged:

1

LOL, I've been on this computer too long, Spelling correction...It's BETTA, not bata!
phishie

Barbourville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jul 31, 2010
 
changing the water stresses the fish, stress makes them get sick easier. If your filter is workng change about one fourth of the water about every 10 days.Bettas dont need really clean water, if you buy another and it dies soon clean the tank and everything in it with hot water and let it dry completly in direct sunlight for a few hours. Get a better filter ,like one that hangs on the back of the tank.
WER3

Middlesboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jul 31, 2010
 
Thanks. My girls want another fish. They had a fish funeral today, but I think we'll get another gold fish to go with the two we still have, unless we find one that's not a goldfish and is safe to put with them. I wish I knew what happened for sure, it looked so scary and sad too. Thanks again.
yahoo

Georgetown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jul 31, 2010
 
SMOKIE wrote:
<quoted text> You CANNOT KEEP Beta with ANY other fish. they will kill each other and others will kill them/ ONE TO A BOWL.
yea,. thats your best chance with a betta. and you can't be changeing water that often in any tank, stuff will happen, unless you stay right on top of it with change of water. cause you know this water down here....
fish liker

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Aug 1, 2010
 
WER3 wrote:
Thanks. My girls want another fish. They had a fish funeral today, but I think we'll get another gold fish to go with the two we still have, unless we find one that's not a goldfish and is safe to put with them. I wish I knew what happened for sure, it looked so scary and sad too. Thanks again.
I would agree that you are changing your water too much. If you are going to keep gold fish, you should accept that lots of ammonia will be involved. If you want cleaner looking water, then get a different type. When you change the water so much you take out the natural slime coat. As far as the betta's appearance....I would say when he died, the gold fish were eating him because that is how fish roll....
Spell Police

Middlesboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Aug 1, 2010
 
Interested Person wrote:
LOL, I've been on this computer too long, Spelling correction...It's BETTA, not bata!
MY HERO!!!!!!!!!!
hiena

Georgetown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Aug 1, 2010
 
fish liker wrote:
<quoted text>
I would agree that you are changing your water too much. If you are going to keep gold fish, you should accept that lots of ammonia will be involved. If you want cleaner looking water, then get a different type. When you change the water so much you take out the natural slime coat. As far as the betta's appearance....I would say when he died, the gold fish were eating him because that is how fish roll....
you said it brother...
hestia636

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Aug 16, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

yahoo wrote:
you never change your water that often. maybe once every couple weeks, if that. that always cause problems.
I have betraying fishes and you need to change their water once a week or else they're dead
Dude
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Aug 17, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Interested Person wrote:
<quoted text>
WRONG, you cannot keep a MALE Bata with another MALE Bata (or agressive fish). Goldfish are no problem at all. Also you can have as many females as a tank will hold, its just the Males.
Wrong a female betta and a male betta will fight,the only reason you should put them together is when you see a bubble nest, this is where a betta will blow bubbles and pile them up together for protection of the eggs and even then if she want take him they will still fight. But the problem i think with your betta was ammonia due to water change but still that happened fast,ammonia will usually start with the fles and fins turning white almost a clear and this is due to bleaching the flesh of the betta
have 2 bettas

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Aug 18, 2012
 

Judged:

1

I have had good luck with every betta we have had. I use fish bowls,one for each. I always use room temperature distilled water. I change it at least every 2 to 4 weeks. Depending on how cloudy it starts to look.(hint if you feed too much pellets,water will cloud sooner). I always wash and rinse bowls,rocks and plants well. I have had most of them live 2 to 3 years. We had one longer than that,and that poor fish was even dropped a couple times.
have 2 bettas

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Aug 18, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Also forgot to add,bettas can take oxygen out of the air. So they can live in low oxygen water levels.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

31 Users are viewing the Corbin Forum right now

Search the Corbin Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 9 min brad 146,295
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 26 min ChromiuMan 128,670
Daily Bible Verse (Oct '12) 2 hr Walk with God 645
Anyone know a good Lawyer for car accident claim? 3 hr Yes I do 2
Disability 8 hr Ashby 2
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 8 hr Ashby 26,189
free fire wood 9 hr interested 2
•••
•••
•••
Corbin Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Corbin Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Corbin People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Corbin News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Corbin
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••