Corbin/Knox Co. Reciperocal Agreement...
laurel co redhound

London, KY

#223 Jan 17, 2010
Think wrote:
Just had a thought. Couldn't Corbin lower the tuition if they really wanted too?
this money doesn't go to corbin it goes to knox or whoever the 'sending' county is.
kind of like retribution for the loss of thier student
WANT TOKNOW

Murray, KY

#224 Jan 17, 2010
Corbin parent wrote:
Yeah Fayette Co. might have that policy but their schools didnt score at the bottom of the list so the parents dont have a problem sending them to most of the school in that district.
http://datacenter.courier-journal.com/scores/...
Go to this site and see for yourself how many of Fayette Counties High School meet AYP - adequate yearly progress....You will find your statement incorrect
Smokey

Pikeville, KY

#225 Jan 17, 2010
WANT TOKNOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you serious? What nice restaurants and what nice shops - no one shops in Corbin except for necessities. Wal-Mart took care of that. Corbin needs new leadership as does Knox and Whitley Counties. The Daniels ran Corbin for years and didn't want anyone else to succeed, Corbin hasn't gotten any new businesses - as Knox and Whitley County hasn't. May want to look at what neighboring Laurel is doing to flourish. Their town is growing. Seriously, the people need to reflect on who officials are and stand up and make a move so that the entire area can grow. Knox and Whitley Counties have improved their school facilities tremendously. Now we need to look (as a community) on how to make our community better. Not just one school, but all of them. These kids are our future. We have the doctors, the lawyers, the insurance agents, but really - what else do we have to offer.......
I never used the word "NICE", but if you must know lets start:

JC Penney
Hibbits (opened within the past 5 years)
Fashon bug
GNC (Opened within the last 10 years)
Books a Million (new)
Pay less
Belk
Wah Weng
Subway
Beef O Brady's (New)
Big Lots
Dollar Store
Walgreens (New)
Pizza Hut
Long Johns
B&H Shoes (built a new building)
K-Mart
Mi Casa
Japanese Steakhouse (New)
Kroger
Mr. Gattis
McDonalds (rebuilt larger building)
Lees
Wendy's
Family Dollar
Papa Johns
AT&T
Sonic
Enterprise rent a car (New)
Blockbuster (New)
King Buffet (New)
Falls Ford/Chevy (New)
Creech & Gibbs Drugs (New)
Advance Auto Parts (Fairly new)
Auto Parts on bypass (New)
Pickard Auto
Little Ceasars (New building)
Arby's
Hometown Bank (opened in 2000)
Bubba's Bubble Bath
Sherwin Williams
Creative Touch Jewlers
Lowe's Sporting goods
Snappy Tomato Pizza
Maurices's
Save a Lot
Rackroom Shoes
Dollar Tree
Cato's
Sears
H&R Block
Betty's flowers
Corbin Flower shop
Gover Floral
Gloria's Desserts (new)
Bissels
Mitchell Stone

That is what I could come up with from memory. None of these are fine dining or fine shopping, but for a rural community we do pretty well.

My point is that why would those that live in Barbourville try to do something that could damage the biggest tax base they have. In my mind they are just biting the hand that feeds them.
FYI

Somerset, KY

#226 Jan 17, 2010
laurel co redhound wrote:
<quoted text>
this money doesn't go to corbin it goes to knox or whoever the 'sending' county is.
kind of like retribution for the loss of thier student
With a Recip. Agreement the SEEK funds would go with the student. If the student pays tuition to Corbin, Corbin would keep that money because they wouldn't get the SEEK funds. But neither does Knox. Co. SO NOBODY gets the state funds and they stay at the state.
FYI

Somerset, KY

#227 Jan 17, 2010
Smokey wrote:
Lets look at the County wide economics of this whole thing. Take a look at what the Corbin end of Knox county has done for the WHOLE county. The tax dollars created from 4 shopping centers (Trademart, Corbin Station, Tri-County Square, K-mart)with over 40 stores, many restaurants, new and used car dealerships, Country Club, Dr's, Lawyers, not to mention some of the nicest and most expensive homes in Knox County. These businesses and people located there because it is Corbin not Knox County. This decision by the Knox BOE may help them today, but all you have done is cut the base of the vine and the rest will start withering and slowly die. People will not longer buy or build houses in the Knox school district. If you dont believe me, then just go ask a realtor. If the people stop coming the stores stop growing.
All of you on the other side of Gilliam hill should thank this end of the county for the new LC high school, the new KC high school, and for many of the things you now have. I wish you could have a look at what Knox County schools and what Knox County Government would be able to provide for you if the county line was at CVRECC and not at Lynn Camp Creek in Corbin.
All I can say is: "Knox County BOE, you didn't do your HOMEWORK on this one"!
Very well said.
Corbin parent too

Dyer, TN

#228 Jan 17, 2010
Smokey wrote:
<quoted text>
JC Penney
Fashon bug
Books a Million (new)
Pay less
Belk
Wah Weng
Subway
Beef O Brady's (New)
Big Lots
Dollar Store
Walgreens (New)
Pizza Hut
Long Johns
K-Mart
Mi Casa
Kroger
Mr. Gattis
Lees
Wendy's
Family Dollar
Papa Johns
AT&T
Sonic
Blockbuster (New)
King Buffet (New)
Falls Ford/Chevy (New)
Pickard Auto
Arby's
Bubba's Bubble Bath
Sherwin Williams
Creative Touch Jewlers
Lowe's Sporting goods
Snappy Tomato Pizza
Maurices's
Save a Lot
Rackroom Shoes
Dollar Tree
Cato's
Sears
H&R Block
Betty's flowers
Corbin Flower shop
Gover Floral
Gloria's Desserts (new)
Bissels
Mitchell Stone
That is what I could come up with from memory. None of these are fine dining or fine shopping, but for a rural community we do pretty well.
My point is that why would those that live in Barbourville try to do something that could damage the biggest tax base they have. In my mind they are just biting the hand that feeds them.
I will add:

Whitaker Bank
BB & T
Cumberland Valley Bank
Gambrel Toyota
Corbin Motorsports
Corbin Financial
New Beginnings Daycare (Participating with BRMC)
Vangent
Clayton Homes
Dollar Store building across from Commercial Bank
New Knox Co annex building
Used car dealership (most of which pay Knox the sales tax fee)
Legend Suzuki which will one day become active again
Doctors offices
Law offices
CPA offices
See what we mean? Lots of tax dollars generated from this end of the county! Laurel is growing and doing well but Corbin does a terrific job especially considering they are split with 3 counties.
Its funny we cant even get credit for Kentucky Fried Chicken beginning here!LOL
Knox County Taxpayer

Winchester, KY

#229 Jan 17, 2010
WANT TOKNOW wrote:
KNOX COUNTY REDHOUND????????
I mean seriously folks, how bad do you want this to get.....Naming yourself Knox County Redhound? How's that for trying to rub it in someones face. I would think most Corbinites and most Knox Countians would be offended by that - or are you just saying you are proud to be from Knox County, but not proud enough and have to throw the redhound in?
Please chill out honey. Did you know that part of Knox County is located within the Corbin city limits, and the Corbin school district?
politicians

London, KY

#230 Jan 17, 2010
politicians control knox county just like the school board lawyer. he is the county attorney, he is over unite. his wife retired from barbourville city school now he has her working for unite and gets 60 thousand dollars a year for that.his kids goes to barbourville high school. that might be why you can live in the knox county and still go to barbourville high and don't have to pay a tution. also most of the board members live in knox county and there kids go to barbourville high to. that is why they want pass nothing about thoses kids having to pay a tution to barbourville high. but wait and see KARMA IS GOING TO COME BACK AND BITE THEM.
FYI 2

Richmond, KY

#231 Jan 18, 2010
if this should pass knox county will have to give us transportion to b-ville ind school. no child left behind law states that we can sent our kids to the best school in that county. do u think b-ville can handle that many kids. i don't think so.
KYG

Mayfield, KY

#232 Jan 18, 2010
Several have already been transported to Lay Elementary because its met its goals for NCLB every year.
Great Idea

Fulton, KY

#233 Jan 18, 2010
I think all of us patents that send our kids to Corbin that live in Knox need to meet and come up with a game plan. I would like to see about 160 parents of children West Knox age all show up at the same time next week and register them to start on that day. What would they do? They don't have the staff or room. Just one little point to prove before we go to the board meeting on Jan. 26. I woul d like to see us annexed into Corbin City. In the long run it would be cheaper than tuition and the school district would be getting the $$$$$.
WANT TOKNOW

Murray, KY

#234 Jan 18, 2010
Knox County Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Please chill out honey. Did you know that part of Knox County is located within the Corbin city limits, and the Corbin school district?
Thanks for sharing that. I have lived here all my life and needed someone to explain that to me. My point was not the county boundaries, but at least respect the students at each of the schools. If you are a Redhound, you are a Corbin Redhound...not a Knox or Laurel Co. Redhound. Corbin, Knox, or Laurel students don't take to kindly to be referred that way.
WANT TOKNOW

Murray, KY

#235 Jan 18, 2010
Smokey wrote:
<quoted text>
JC Penney
Fashon bug
Books a Million (new)
Pay less
Belk
Wah Weng
Subway
Beef O Brady's (New)
Big Lots
Dollar Store
Walgreens (New)
Pizza Hut
Long Johns
K-Mart
Mi Casa
Kroger
Mr. Gattis
Lees
Wendy's
Family Dollar
Papa Johns
AT&T
Sonic
Blockbuster (New)
King Buffet (New)
Falls Ford/Chevy (New)
Pickard Auto
Arby's
Bubba's Bubble Bath
Sherwin Williams
Creative Touch Jewlers
Lowe's Sporting goods
Snappy Tomato Pizza
Maurices's
Save a Lot
Rackroom Shoes
Dollar Tree
Cato's
Sears
H&R Block
Betty's flowers
Corbin Flower shop
Gover Floral
Gloria's Desserts (new)
Bissels
Mitchell Stone
You didn't use the word Nice.....sorry for the error - but doesn't Barbourville have the same? The have the WalMart SuperCenter, the small shops, car dealer, restaurants.....I know they come to Corbin to get something different, as I go to London or Lexington to get something different. But this isn't about businesses, it is about kids and schools...How can schools thrive when they have students going outside their communities to attend school. I am on no one's side here, I can see both sides. Was it this bad when they took away the schools in local communities and started making larger schools with students having to travel longer distances? Yes, we let it happen and now look. I can see, if I lived on the Knox Co. side close to Corbin, why parents don't want their children to have to go all the way to L.C., K.C. or B'ville, but I can also see why Knox Co. needs the funding for these students. It is a fine line and someone has to make the decisions. I for one, miss the smaller community schools!
CorbinKnoxcitize n

Brownsville, TN

#236 Jan 18, 2010
Does anyone when and where the meeting for concerned citizens in South Corbin is going to be? I heard the tail end of the announcement on the radio but missed the time and and place.
Corbin parent too

Somerset, KY

#237 Jan 18, 2010
It is at Grace on the Hill on the second exit at 7pm
Whoa

Lexington, KY

#238 Jan 18, 2010
Whoa! Somebody needs to check their facts! Knox co surpassed Corbin's test scores for the past two years!!! If you want your kids to continue going to Corbin I suggest moving or sucking it up and paying the tuition! My daughter goes to West Knox, she is in the 2nd grade and reading on a 4th grade level,my step daughter goes to Corbin she is in the 1st grade and is lucky to read on a Pre-K level. She struggles and her mom was ranting about her kids not going to Knox co. because they suck?? I honestly think it's about parents thinking that Corbin schools are better, but people need to realize that each child is different and coming from someone who attended both systems: I'll leave my bright girl at West Knox where I know she'll excel far more than she would at Corbin!!
Cathy

Lexington, KY

#239 Jan 18, 2010
Is this something the church is sponsoring?
Concerned citizen

Corbin, KY

#240 Jan 18, 2010
It appears to me that the Knox Co. Board is taking the easy way out. Instead of trying to improve their own system, which would help them to retain students looking for a better learning environment, they are implying that the loss of this revenue is somehow responsible for the problems. From those that I have talked to who either work in the Knox system or have or have had kids in the system, money is not the problem.

They have some very good teachers in the system, but they also have a good portion of teachers who have basically given up due to several factors. One of these factors is that they do not get much support from the parents of the students or from their own Principals or Board. It is hard enough to overcome not being supported or backed up by such a large percentage of the parents, which leads to kids who don't care and are hard to control. Factor in the lack of support from the leadership of the system and you get a school system in crisis. Money will not fix this and some parents will do whatever they can to get their children into an environment that is more learner-friendly, such as sending them to Corbin or Barbourville Independent Schools.

Some kids can overcome this by being challenged and taught by the teachers who are not beaten down, by having parents who can stay actively involved in their education or simply by being motivated or intelligent. Unfortunately for some of these kids, the odds are stacked against them and they will fall through the cracks and never realize their potential.
Mad mother

Murray, KY

#241 Jan 18, 2010
It will be a cold day in hell when I send my straight A child to such a poor school system as Knox County!! I will gladly pay tuition for my child to be the best he can be and obtain a first class education! I am MAD! I am getting ready to call the BOE and let them know that they can count on not getting $3866 from my child!
Give me a break

Winchester, KY

#242 Jan 18, 2010
Yes, Knox Co. is sending over $500,000 to Corbin, but did you ever stop to think about how much it takes to educate a child!!! If all the students come back to Knox Co. then you might as well not count at least $300,000 to teacher salaries. Then you must take into account all the extra staff that will need to be hired, such as aides and the extra supplies to be bought, not to mention housing demand is going to be an issue. Where are they going to place 160 kids? Yes, this will create new jobs, but what about the people that will be losing their job in Corbin. Oh who cares about them, because Knox Co is getting the money. Let's be honest here, it all boils down to test scores with Knox Co. I have one question, why is the whole school district in Knox Co. a Tier 3 school. The money they are losing is not going to raise their test scores, because it will have to be pd out in salaries. Maybe, just maybe they think bringing these kids back will raise the scores for the whole county.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corbin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lorena Patterson 6 min Merry Christmas 4
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 51 min Wisdom of God 170,641
How is Mark Tolliver? 3 hr Short Italian Guy 3
Beth Ann Smith 4 hr John whang 3
did your loved one die at Baptist Health 4 hr Red 6
Best boobs (Jul '10) 6 hr rapper 23
leah norvell 8 hr Sick of dotm 20

Corbin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Corbin Mortgages