Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
92,261 - 92,280 of 128,923 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
Lazy State Worker

Frankfort, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

ky girl wrote:
this would be a good thing.when i went to school we had a lady come once a week, she didnt teach religion, she told bible stories,it was a good break,she told the stories with pictures, also the first thing in the morning, we sang songs said the pledge for about 15 minutes.it set the tone for the day,as a child grows into adult hood,they will adopt their own beliefs,this is a stepping stone. they will believe in something, why not let them start with the goods things, if they dont hear good things when they are small, they wont know they have a choice.as i got older and heard different things,i choose what was to me the best,our children need a good positive in their lives.for some it will be the only time they will hear the name god, jesus, lord.at least they will have a choice.
What if instead of teaching about the Christian God they taught about the Muslim God, or Buddah, or whatever? Would you want that? What if they taught only about the Catholic God or the Baptist God? Would you want that? If you send your child to school to learn to read, write, add, etc. you should not have to worry about someone choosing their religion, that is not the responsibility nor the place of the public school. You teach that to your child at home. If you want them to learn in a religous setting then you send them to a private religous school. You don't force your beliefs on other children, what you may think is good and right may not be good and right to others, so keep it out of the school.
Lazy State Worker

Frankfort, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Saracen wrote:
<quoted text> yes, you are to morn a birth and rejoice in death.
I don't believe that and I don't believe that God teaches that. I believe life is a gift, the earth is a gift, it is not something to mourn. We mourn losing our loved ones because we won't get to see them anymore. I think you can twist the Bible to make it say whatever you want it to say. God is is the trees, the sky, the sunrise, sunset, mountains, oceans, seasons. So don't quote the Bible to me and think that is the proof, it is not. You may not be understanding it correctly, or it may have not been translated correctly by King James.
Lazy State Worker

Frankfort, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
OK now this is too funny.
In the supermarket a middle aged woman looked at my Baphomet and called 911 to report a devil worshiper. She thought that since I do not go to her church that I should be arrested.
I could not hear what the 911 operator said but the woman said "no, he is just laughing at me"
I was laughing, than I said "BOO" and went about my shopping.
Why do you worship evil? YOu are going to burn in hell.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the reply. I understand the phone thing. I cannot even do this with my current phone because the stupid Topix app is a total disaster on the Android.
Do you not think baptisms for the dead is offensive to non Mormons? Let me tell you very clearly: if someone I loved was used in one of these silly ceremonies I would be livid. Not because I think baptism does anything at all other than get you wet, but because it is an insult to the person's memory. It's like a sneak attack. Can't get 'em in life, let's go after their corpse.
If your church does not do this then good for your church. Now ask your church to denounce the practice and I'll be more impressed.
Regarding other questions, I would like to know how you deal with the Book of Abraham. Smith's translation of the papyri was totally wrong. Not even in the same ballpark. How can that be possible if he is a Prophet of God?
And there's no such thing as "Reformed Egyptian". He made that up. How does that square with his holy standing?
Doesn't work well on the iPhone either.

Yes I can see how it could be offensive to Non-Mormons because they don't understand that it doesn't make them Mormon, it just gives them the opportunity to accept it. Otherwise, it means nothing. I'm in that situation now.

We are urged to only do work for people in our own geneaology to avoid offending others. We believe in the sealing powers that last beyond the graves. We believe it is God's will to link all generations together all the way back to Adam, so the practice would never be denounced. But as I said, you will have the right to choose to accept it or not, just like you have the right to do it on your own now.

As for the Book of Abraham, I don't believe that statement is accurate. There were sources that were close friends with the prophet that said he put aside the scrolls that were not pertinent to the work he was called to do. We know for sure there was a lot of junk in the lot that he bought, so not all of it was important.

Reformed Egyptian was what the people of the Book of Mormon called their langueage, which they said admittedly changed over the years from what their ancestors used. The original plates were abridged by Mormon and his son Moroni, some of which, hundreds of years after they were written. So it seems possible to me that the language could have been completely different by then. They didn't have formal schools then.

I look at how things could happen. As I said, if Christians like myself can believe the things in the Bible (especially Old Testament) happened, then the things that happened with the Book of Mormon are certainly believable.

I realize that this isn't an argument for someone that doesn't believe the Bible isn't true, you don't have to remind me. I'm aware. I'm just comparing.
Lazy State Worker

Frankfort, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Sinse yourngod is not real you do not have the right to force your dilusions on to others.
You should be in a mental institution.
And just whothefu ck are you to tell me to move on?
How can you believe in Satan and not God? HUH? I don't get that. I mean I worship God and not Satan, but I believe there IS A satan, how could I believe in God and not Satan? Good and Evil. That is what they are. You worship Evil.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>And if only the christian cult thought this way. The christian cult (not to be confused with christians who believe in their god) likes to pick and choose from the bible to justify themselves, ignoring the parts that do not fit their lifestyle.
In all four gospels jesus stated that not until heaven and earth pass away will the law pass away. It is plain and clear what he was talking about is the jewish laws. Yet people say that they are not under the old testament. Pick and choose.
When it comes to money they will cheat old people (well any one) and than say "that is business" they will lie, and lets not forget killing "for god" (defense contractors do not post earnings, how much profit do you think they made just from Iraq?)
The different interpretations of the Bible was the sole reason Joseph Smith had trouble picking which one to attend. The whole story of his first vision centers around this. When he asked which church to join, he was answered "none of them". He was told they had pieces of the truth but that the fulness of the gospel would be restored and would be done through him.

The Law of Moses was fulfilled with the atonement of Jesus Christ. The Law of Moses was not the entire Old Testament however. Also the Jews had their own traditions that they had added and complicated the law, that even Jesus said was unnecessary.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Is there true Christians in Mormons, and Catholics???
I'm sure there may be a few!
If any of them actually read the Bible...
They'd know that there is parts of it that expressly
forbid their beliefs... ie "another Gospel of Jesus", and
"Changing Laws, and dates"!
As far as ALL of us being "Whacko"...
Remember that when the Weeping, and gnashing of teeth begins!
Where does the Bible forbid "another Gospel of Jesus"?

What laws and dates?
happy

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Lazy State Worker wrote:
<quoted text>What if instead of teaching about the Christian God they taught about the Muslim God, or Buddah, or whatever? Would you want that? What if they taught only about the Catholic God or the Baptist God? Would you want that? If you send your child to school to learn to read, write, add, etc. you should not have to worry about someone choosing their religion, that is not the responsibility nor the place of the public school. You teach that to your child at home. If you want them to learn in a religous setting then you send them to a private religous school. You don't force your beliefs on other children, what you may think is good and right may not be good and right to others, so keep it out of the school.
"IN GOD WE TRUST" not Buddha etc.... Our God is living ... Not dead...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Lazy State Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you believe in Satan and not God? HUH? I don't get that. I mean I worship God and not Satan, but I believe there IS A satan, how could I believe in God and not Satan? Good and Evil. That is what they are. You worship Evil.
Sure, he's an agent of the devil, but don't hold that against him. His duties are largely ceremonial.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

happy wrote:
<quoted text>
"IN GOD WE TRUST" ...
Yeah, something else that some of our founding fathers would be railing against if they were alive today.
Replacing our motto "E Pluribus Unum" with that hogwash in 1956 would have made Jefferson's head explode.
happy

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>Where does the Bible forbid "another Gospel of Jesus"?

What laws and dates?
Rev 22:18,19
For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophesy of this book: if anyone adds to these things,God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book. 19) and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophesy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the Holy City, and from the things which are written in this book.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

LOL in a suit wrote:
How will religies feel when they get to their "heaven" and find gay people there. The god in a jesus suit said gay people will go to "heaven" tooooo.
Leviticus 20:13

13 If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

happy wrote:
<quoted text>
For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophesy of this book: if anyone adds to these things,God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book. 19) and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophesy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the Holy City, and from the things which are written in this book.
Well, there you go "Do Whut".
Happy's magic book called "no adsies", therefore your magic book is null and void.

Are you guys going to keep going at it? Because if so, let me go make some popcorn and settle in. I love watching a fundie vs. fundie cage match. It's like watching midgets wrestle.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Matthew 24

4 And Jesus answered and said to them:“Take heed that no one deceives you.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Leaving the Light On wrote:
<quoted text>
Leviticus 20:13
13 If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.
Sorry, but that's clearly referring to a 3-way. Apples and oranges...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, there you go "Do Whut".
Happy's magic book called "no adsies", therefore your magic book is null and void.
Are you guys going to keep going at it? Because if so, let me go make some popcorn and settle in. I love watching a fundie vs. fundie cage match. It's like watching midgets wrestle.
Sorry, I just realized I was being rude. I meant to say "it's like watching little people wrestle."

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

happy wrote:
<quoted text>
Matthew 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH!

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Lazy State Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you worship evil? YOu are going to burn in hell.
Please define evil. Is evil sacrificing animals to a god, is evil rejoicing as you kill innocent children? Is evil the mass slaughter of people? Is evil slavery and selling your daughters as sex slaves?
Because all of that is what the god you worship demanded, read your bible before you call me evil.
There is no god and Satan is a word that means adversary or apposed it is a title not a name, there is no being named Satan READ YOU FREAKING BIBLE BEFORE YOU TRY TO PREACH SHIT TO ME!
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

happy wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it was talking about the book of revelations, the prophesy of the book itself. That said, the bible is made up of many books that was written by men who claimed to be led by holy spirit.

So now religion has a dilemma ,who is the real "Watchman of God" that can show that they have "the truth of Gods word" without any additions to it.

Today many books have been written by those who claim they have been led by Gods holy spirit. So then, how is one to prove that they are the real watchman of God, even prove God exists.

Many books, many writers of religious books, all claiming to be led by God's holy spirit.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Matthew 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH!
Isn't it funny how you never hear that one quoted by the GOP?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

47 Users are viewing the Corbin Forum right now

Search the Corbin Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 12 min DITCH MITCH 146,887
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 1 hr Flint hill bandit 26,210
Ryan Fritts (Sep '08) 1 hr Haha 28
walmart straight talk cell phones (Nov '10) 2 hr Same phone 19
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 3 hr hillian 81,559
Looking to buy a treadmill or elliptical 4 hr have one 8
Daily Bible Verse (Oct '12) 4 hr Walk with God 649
•••
•••
•••
•••

Corbin Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000