First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Dan

Greenbrier, AR

#1 Jan 16, 2013
Is this true that St. camillus is closing after this school year?
Alumni

Murray, KY

#2 Jan 16, 2013
I haven't heard anything about this. However, I heard they now only have classes up to the 6th grade. The school administration made 2 serious mistakes which resulted in their downfall. First, they closed the high school. After this happened, they experienced a decrease in enrollment. Second, they demolished the old school building, and built a new school and home. They should have hired local contractors, and renovated the old building. An external elevator shaft could have been installed, updated electrical service, updated plumbing, and the basement could have been professionally water sealed. Attending school in the 1914 building displayed a level of prestige that is now gone forever. It's very sad this has happened. School officials insisted these changes were due to financial issues, but this isn't completely true. I know for a fact that a local business man offered them a one million dollar donation in 1996, in exchange for them not closing the high school. They declined to accept the donation. If the school closes, they did it to themselves.
Sad

Sikeston, MO

#3 Jan 16, 2013
Yes, they are closing at the end of the school year. My son attends St.C and loves it, it is heartbreaking.
Alumni

Murray, KY

#4 Jan 16, 2013
What is their reason for closing? Are they going to sell the property?
End of an era

Richmond, KY

#5 Jan 16, 2013
Alumni wrote:
What is their reason for closing? Are they going to sell the property?
With enrollment down and costs increasing, the diocese of Lexington has determined that it would not be able to sustain the school after this year, even though a three year commitment was given .

This is such a heartbreaking story . A school which has been in Corbin for over one hundred years facing the prospects of being chained shut, having their children scattered throughout the tri-county .

St . Camillus has been providing exceptional educational opportunity within a vacuum for more than a century . To meet its final demise is a painful reminder of the direction that our populace has taken . The last facility in the area to offer a religious based curriculum to its school, Catholic or otherwise . The last institution in the area to try to bring, not just a testing success, but to educate our youth, while upholding Christian values in the process .

It is such a shame that the diocese of Lexington can write off such an important and historical part of this community without considering all of the options . Even though the majority of the children that attend school there are not Catholic, it is a God based learning institution, and the last in the area . Shame on you Sacred Heart and Saint William, for not fighting tooth and nail to keep this alive . I hope and pray something can be done to change the minds of the administrators and allow this integral learning institution to continue to help mold and enhance the minds of our youth .
tears

Ripley, TN

#6 Jan 17, 2013
I am beyond sadened at the new of this school closing its doors. I live in Corbin so that my child could attend St. C in the upcoming years. Now I suppose I will have to relocate as to find a school that is christian based. I will not send my child to public school to learn everything they shouldn't and nothing about religion. This is heartbreaking that something can't be done to kkep this institution open.
Charlie

United States

#7 Jan 17, 2013
I'm sure that if you send them to public schools, teach them morals and respect and use it at home and attend church regularly, your child will have the Christian values and education just fine. It's about what you teach your children and show in your own home. Not about what others will teach them.
Okay

Schaumburg, IL

#8 Jan 17, 2013
tears wrote:
I am beyond sadened at the new of this school closing its doors. I live in Corbin so that my child could attend St. C in the upcoming years. Now I suppose I will have to relocate as to find a school that is christian based. I will not send my child to public school to learn everything they shouldn't and nothing about religion. This is heartbreaking that something can't be done to kkep this institution open.
I don't mean this with any disrespect, but you can teach your child Christian values without sending them to St.C. Every school no matter what faith or public or private will have kids that are a bad influence. Kids pick up stuff no matter where they are. I went to Corbin Schools, but my family taught me Christian values. I attended church regularly and belonged to FCA. How your children turn out is not only based on the school they attend, but how they are taught at home. Best of luck to you and your children. I hope you will at least give Corbin a shot.
agree

Washington, IN

#9 Jan 17, 2013
Okay wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't mean this with any disrespect, but you can teach your child Christian values without sending them to St.C. Every school no matter what faith or public or private will have kids that are a bad influence. Kids pick up stuff no matter where they are. I went to Corbin Schools, but my family taught me Christian values. I attended church regularly and belonged to FCA. How your children turn out is not only based on the school they attend, but how they are taught at home. Best of luck to you and your children. I hope you will at least give Corbin a shot.
I agree. I know parents who were sending their kids up there because they were behavioral problems that would have been sent home in public schools. They felt like the structure up there would help them then they turned them loose in the city schools. The kids didn't change a bit. It's all in what the child is capable and interested in learning. If they want to live with Christian values, they will regardless of what setting they are educated in.
tears

Ripley, TN

#10 Jan 17, 2013
I do attend church twice a week and do in fact teach my children morals and live by example. I was just looking forward to the positive influence a smaller group of students with a greater influence on the curriculum. Ihave several freinds who have nothing ut positive things to say about this school. I just think its a shame one of the best things Corbin had going has to close. I never post on topix and didn't mean to ruffle feathers.
Full of hope

Pikeville, KY

#11 Jan 17, 2013
tears wrote:
I do attend church twice a week and do in fact teach my children morals and live by example. I was just looking forward to the positive influence a smaller group of students with a greater influence on the curriculum. Ihave several freinds who have nothing ut positive things to say about this school. I just think its a shame one of the best things Corbin had going has to close. I never post on topix and didn't mean to ruffle feathers.
As a parent with two children at St. Camillus, I am still hopeful for the future of the school. There is an abundance of highly motivated students, teachers, and parents working very hard to find solutions to our current financial situation.

I would urge any family interested in the school to call and set up an appointment to view the campus and speak with the staff. The more interest in next year the better the chances of recovery.

Please keep us in your prayers. It truly is a remarkable school with such deep roots in this community.
alumni

Richmond, KY

#12 Jan 17, 2013
Proud alumni and graduate of St.Camillus. I hate to hear this news as a student in the last graduating class of the high school the year it closed. Their curriculum and dedication to ethics and service will never be matched.
wonderer

Tucker, GA

#13 Jan 17, 2013
I wonder if they are closing because they don't have bingo to cheat in? What about Midge did she run it in the ground? You can only steal so much before it catches up to you.
Alumni

Murray, KY

#14 Jan 17, 2013
alumni wrote:
Proud alumni and graduate of St.Camillus. I hate to hear this news as a student in the last graduating class of the high school the year it closed. Their curriculum and dedication to ethics and service will never be matched.
I too was in the last graduating class. What are your initials? I would like to catch up with you and talk. My initials are S.R.
concerned

Corbin, KY

#15 Jan 17, 2013
They are closing due to lack of funds to stay open to operate. It was on the news tonight
Gary

Winchester, KY

#16 Jan 17, 2013
I hear Cornerstone is a very good Christian school.
Tears

Ripley, TN

#17 Jan 18, 2013
Gary wrote:
I hear Cornerstone is a very good Christian school.
Cornorstone was moved to London years ago because several students left the school in Lily to attend London Elementary. It is not at all the same academically
Okay

Schaumburg, IL

#18 Jan 18, 2013
tears wrote:
I do attend church twice a week and do in fact teach my children morals and live by example. I was just looking forward to the positive influence a smaller group of students with a greater influence on the curriculum. Ihave several freinds who have nothing ut positive things to say about this school. I just think its a shame one of the best things Corbin had going has to close. I never post on topix and didn't mean to ruffle feathers.
You didn't ruffle feathers. I just didn't want you to feel as St. C was the last resort for better schooling. I understand your point on the smaller group of students. That is something only a private school can offer. It is a shame the school is closing. Both of my parents are St.C alumni. I hope some devine intervention will change the outcome of the schools future. This area needs other choices than one school system per county.
Facts please

Middlesboro, KY

#20 Jan 21, 2013
The school has financial difficulties that would be alleviated with more enrollment (not THAT much more, though) and creative solutions.

Something people should know is that the St. C Alumni Association is not at all, and never has been affiliated with the school. It is a scam created to give its board members paychecks. They were able, as a non-profit, to get a charitable gaming license and profit from bingo and other fundraisers. The guy in charge has two other not-for-profit entities set up for the same reason, just to get a gaming license and get paychecks. It's ridiculous and would be very expensive and complicated for the school (namely, Sisters of Divine Providence in Covington) to fight.

I'm sure there are alumni, who love the school, who feel they have supported the school in the past through the Alumni Association. It's frustrating. Look it up, Pete Samples (of the Alumni Assoc.) was investigated and in 2008 was forbidden to be part of any charitable gaming license. I guess he knew the law enough to get around getting any more than a hand slap.

The school needs prayers and anyone who is interested in enrolling children in the next two years should let that interest be known. Call the school.
school

Brodhead, KY

#21 Jan 21, 2013
Facts please wrote:
The school has financial difficulties that would be alleviated with more enrollment (not THAT much more, though) and creative solutions.

Something people should know is that the St. C Alumni Association is not at all, and never has been affiliated with the school. It is a scam created to give its board members paychecks. They were able, as a non-profit, to get a charitable gaming license and profit from bingo and other fundraisers. The guy in charge has two other not-for-profit entities set up for the same reason, just to get a gaming license and get paychecks. It's ridiculous and would be very expensive and complicated for the school (namely, Sisters of Divine Providence in Covington) to fight.

I'm sure there are alumni, who love the school, who feel they have supported the school in the past through the Alumni Association. It's frustrating. Look it up, Pete Samples (of the Alumni Assoc.) was investigated and in 2008 was forbidden to be part of any charitable gaming license. I guess he knew the law enough to get around getting any more than a hand slap.

The school needs prayers and anyone who is interested in enrolling children in the next two years should let that interest be known. Call the school.
More enrollment could have been possible were it not so expensive each month. Times are hard for everyone. The higher price kept all the doctors kids going there but others couldn't afford it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corbin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old Town Grill 5 min Seniorcitizen 9
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 30 min Who copied NT 148,152
Help with student loans 1 hr best 3
I hate bald men (Mar '12) 3 hr Paxel 29
corbin 3 hr Randy 1
Tim lawson 4 hr Tax Paying Citizen 5
Reece Monument Company 5 hr rebecca 8
23 blast movie. What a joke! (Mar '12) Mon Mycuda 194
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Corbin Mortgages