Children getting SSI
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
another mother

Anderson, SC

#1 Nov 11, 2008
Please someone help me understand why so many children get SSI. I've seen many children who are receiving SSI and they seem to be normal healthy children. Their parents claim they have ADHD, but they don't act any more hyper than my child does. I don't think children should get SSI unless they have a severe disability that inhibits their parents from working because they require constant care. A lot of parents just use these children for extra income, not all of them, but a lot of them.
Mamaw

Hudson, OH

#2 Nov 11, 2008
This ADHD BS makes me soooo mad. To me it is just an excuse to let the kids act like heathens and get by with it. About a week ago I was in Wal-mart and a kid was laying down in the floor screaming and kicking because he wanted a toy, I just sort of glanced at the mother as I pushed my cart past her and she said "oh, he has ADHD" I just sort of nodded my head as I went on around them but thought to my self ADHD my A55. The I heard her tell him "if you will get up I will buy it for you" and he got right up and was just fine. SPARE THE ROD SPOIL THE CHILD. Blister the kids A55 a few times and that will cure them of the ADHD.

“Making A Difference”

Since: Nov 08

Corbin?

#3 Nov 11, 2008
I was one of the children who could have, and still could draw a check because the government considers me disabled.(ADHD)

My parents did not want me to draw a check so that I might lean the value of a dollar and what hard work was/is.

Now to you question, Why so many children on SSI.

It is to create social and financial dependence on a failing system. The ones you give everything to will not say "NO" to you.
another mother

Anderson, SC

#4 Nov 11, 2008
I think some good punishment will cure quite a bit of the ADHD.

“Making A Difference”

Since: Nov 08

Corbin?

#5 Nov 11, 2008
Mamaw wrote:
This ADHD BS makes me soooo mad. To me it is just an excuse to let the kids act like heathens and get by with it. About a week ago I was in Wal-mart and a kid was laying down in the floor screaming and kicking because he wanted a toy, I just sort of glanced at the mother as I pushed my cart past her and she said "oh, he has ADHD" I just sort of nodded my head as I went on around them but thought to my self ADHD my A55. The I heard her tell him "if you will get up I will buy it for you" and he got right up and was just fine. SPARE THE ROD SPOIL THE CHILD. Blister the kids A55 a few times and that will cure them of the ADHD.
You are wrong Sir.

ADHD is real. Your right about sparing the rod it will help some, but I got beat as a kid and I was still defiant.

ADHD is the next step in human evolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo_child
corbin

Louisville, KY

#6 Nov 11, 2008
I have to say that the people that have posted on here must be ignorant of what ADHD is and what it can do. I think what you should be more angered with is people being diagnosed wrongly. If someone truly has either ADD or ADHD and depending on the severity it can cause long term probles and issues. Not everyone who has ADHD or ADD is effected as much as some. I would suggest you guys do some research on ADHD before posting on things you obviously don't know anything about. Here are some web sites.

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/atten...

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/attention_defi...
another mother

Anderson, SC

#7 Nov 11, 2008
Your parents sound like educated people. Once you start a child on SSI, chances are they will stay on it forever. I'm sure you are living a productive life because of the decision. I wish more parents were like yours.
lasthope wrote:
I was one of the children who could have, and still could draw a check because the government considers me disabled.(ADHD)
My parents did not want me to draw a check so that I might lean the value of a dollar and what hard work was/is.
Now to you question, Why so many children on SSI.
It is to create social and financial dependence on a failing system. The ones you give everything to will not say "NO" to you.
another mother

Anderson, SC

#8 Nov 11, 2008
I have seen children with ADHD, I know it is real. I just think it is over diagnosed. I think some of the children do just need discipline.
lasthope wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong Sir.
ADHD is real. Your right about sparing the rod it will help some, but I got beat as a kid and I was still defiant.
ADHD is the next step in human evolution.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo_child
Anthony

Ava, MO

#9 Nov 11, 2008
And people wonder why America has become such an ungodly mess.
another mother

Anderson, SC

#10 Nov 11, 2008
I started this post because of the number of children on SSI, a lot of which are diagnosed with ADHD. I am not the most educated person in the world, but I have had my share of psychology classes, and we learned about ADHD. I understand the disorder. I'm not demeaning the condition. I'm not for beating a child either. It hurts my child worse taking away his toys than any spanking I could ever give him.
corbin wrote:
I have to say that the people that have posted on here must be ignorant of what ADHD is and what it can do. I think what you should be more angered with is people being diagnosed wrongly. If someone truly has either ADD or ADHD and depending on the severity it can cause long term probles and issues. Not everyone who has ADHD or ADD is effected as much as some. I would suggest you guys do some research on ADHD before posting on things you obviously don't know anything about. Here are some web sites.
http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/atten...
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/attention_defi...
sad and mad for children

AOL

#11 Nov 11, 2008
i got a little to say about this subject first of all kids cant draw ssi only for having add or adhd i have 3 kids that are add and adhd and one who is both and it is a real condition and they have to take their medicines or their blood pressure is dangerously high and it could cause them to stroke out or have a heart attack. so you are wondering if i draw a big ssi check well heck no only one of my children is drawing ssi and that is because he has m.m.d (mild mental disorder)along with his add and adhd he is like 2-3 years behind other kids his age. so he deserves to get ssi and if you like getting on here and knocking kids for getting help with their illness well i feel very sorry for you and apparently you have no heart when it comes to children and i hope you all can really sleep at night knowing that you have no heart for children its not their fault as weel as its not a kids fault to be born mentaly retarded,deaf,blind, or missing a limb or even dying at birth i hope you are happy now that you started this stupid topix may god have mercy on you and feel your heart with compassion for the children out there
another mother

Anderson, SC

#12 Nov 11, 2008
I am a mother, thank God my child is healthy. I work in public and see tons of kids with SSI for ADHD and being a "slow learner". It is my belief that a parent is supposed to support their child. Like I said in a earlier post, I believe the family should get help if the child is severly handicaped and requires constant care, but let me add only if it would cost more to get outside help then help the parents stay at home. I have a huge heart for children, but I thought SSI is for people who aren't capable of working and earning a living. A child is supposed to be supported by their parents. This post isn't against children with disabilities, it's about parents who look for a reason to earn a living off their children. I'm sure not all parents who sign their kids up on SSI are doing it for their own benefit. I just wonder how many children have a savings account started for when they are older.
Sabbath Price

Somerset, KY

#13 Nov 11, 2008
Mamaw wrote:
This ADHD BS makes me soooo mad. To me it is just an excuse to let the kids act like heathens and get by with it. About a week ago I was in Wal-mart and a kid was laying down in the floor screaming and kicking because he wanted a toy, I just sort of glanced at the mother as I pushed my cart past her and she said "oh, he has ADHD" I just sort of nodded my head as I went on around them but thought to my self ADHD my A55. The I heard her tell him "if you will get up I will buy it for you" and he got right up and was just fine. SPARE THE ROD SPOIL THE CHILD. Blister the kids A55 a few times and that will cure them of the ADHD.
Amen!
i know

Sikeston, MO

#14 Nov 11, 2008
well my child draws ssi and i think she really deserves it, adhd, sincer disorder,( which is where touch of something (clothes) or cleaning ears or putting ear rings in freaks her out she will scream and get really upset, mood swing disorder,seizures,communcation delay, written expression delay, she has had these problems since she was 2 and a half and she 8 now she is on med for the seizures and mood swing disorder she also behind in math and reading, she has came a long way since it all started been to about 10 doctors here in corbin, london, lexington, louville,well not to add medication reaction 4 times were she had to be be in a hospital and stayed in lexington for the seizures , she has had 2 eye corrections,30 seizures in 1 yr,
Just a Thought

Pikeville, KY

#15 Nov 11, 2008
Forgive me, but I thought SSI/disability benefits were for people who were unable to maintain a vocation because of a health problem. I don't understand why you'd give it to a child, who would not otherwise be legally able to work anyway??!! I don't care if they are born developmentally disabled, blind or have 5 legs. I know of a kid that was born with a congenital heart condition who gets SSI benefits. The parents boh work. The kid's heart condition was treated surgically and he will go to school and live the life every other kid is going to live. Yet, here we say "sorry, genetics crapped out when the dice was rolled, giving you had a heart condition that was corrected (by taxpayers). We feel bad for you now, however, so here's your monthly check as a consolation prize." SSI doesn't pay for medical bills...medicaid takes care of that. So, what does the SSI money get used for?

As for having 3 kids with ADD/ADHD, no offense, but I'd be second guessing the diagnoses. ADD/ADHD is a real disorder. Often, however, it's just behavior problems due to parenting skills.

Also, how many of these ADHD/ADD kids are sitting in doctor's office drinking a 20 oz. Mountain Dew or Red Bull waiting for their next 'script?
sad and mad for children wrote:
i got a little to say about this subject first of all kids cant draw ssi only for having add or adhd i have 3 kids that are add and adhd and one who is both and it is a real condition and they have to take their medicines or their blood pressure is dangerously high and it could cause them to stroke out or have a heart attack. so you are wondering if i draw a big ssi check well heck no only one of my children is drawing ssi and that is because he has m.m.d (mild mental disorder)along with his add and adhd he is like 2-3 years behind other kids his age. so he deserves to get ssi and if you like getting on here and knocking kids for getting help with their illness well i feel very sorry for you and apparently you have no heart when it comes to children and i hope you all can really sleep at night knowing that you have no heart for children its not their fault as weel as its not a kids fault to be born mentaly retarded,deaf,blind, or missing a limb or even dying at birth i hope you are happy now that you started this stupid topix may god have mercy on you and feel your heart with compassion for the children out there
whitley

Hopkinsville, KY

#16 Nov 11, 2008
well i have a child with adhd and i don't draw ssi on him but it truly contol all our lives. I don't want goverment money for him. And i don't want a bunch of meds to knock my child out we just work around with him and i do beleive it's truly over diagnosed with drs and alot of kids just need a good spanking but in todays world you'll go to jail over a good spanking.
i know

Sikeston, MO

#17 Nov 11, 2008
Just a Thought wrote:
Forgive me, but I thought SSI/disability benefits were for people who were unable to maintain a vocation because of a health problem. I don't understand why you'd give it to a child, who would not otherwise be legally able to work anyway??!! I don't care if they are born developmentally disabled, blind or have 5 legs. I know of a kid that was born with a congenital heart condition who gets SSI benefits. The parents boh work. The kid's heart condition was treated surgically and he will go to school and live the life every other kid is going to live. Yet, here we say "sorry, genetics crapped out when the dice was rolled, giving you had a heart condition that was corrected (by taxpayers). We feel bad for you now, however, so here's your monthly check as a consolation prize." SSI doesn't pay for medical bills...medicaid takes care of that. So, what does the SSI money get used for?
As for having 3 kids with ADD/ADHD, no offense, but I'd be second guessing the diagnoses. ADD/ADHD is a real disorder. Often, however, it's just behavior problems due to parenting skills.
Also, how many of these ADHD/ADD kids are sitting in doctor's office drinking a 20 oz. Mountain Dew or Red Bull waiting for their next 'script?
<quoted text>
well i work and my chid doesnt drink md or red bull and it has not a thing got to do with parentinmg skills cause she doesn'st get what she wants and she does get her butt spanked when needed in walmarts or at school wherever she will always need medical treatment i dont think she will ever be able to get a good paying job cause she cant read had age 8 even though i help her and school does too and she freaks out over the clothes everday have to hold her down to put them on and she cry's saying the feeling of them hurts her , she was tested 2 yrs ago and some percents at 6 put her at a3 yr olds level commucation,etc and if they didn't think she needeed it she wouldn't have gotten it i have all kinds of papers from doctors and doctors that i took with me when i signed her up, and the money goes to helping with things she needs i buy her leap frog which helps her to read a little she has her own bank account for her when she get's of age, gas to take her to doctors clothes for her .
tax payer

Mayfield, KY

#18 Nov 11, 2008
It kills me when people have to work and pay taxes in for alot of these women who don't want to work, so they say their kids have problems, I know someone who has been on SSI since he was 2 he is now 25 and still on it. I'm sorry but there is people out there that take advantage of the state.
Just a Thought

Pikeville, KY

#19 Nov 11, 2008
If the school can't teach her to read, how does LeapFrog? And clothes? Why would an 8 year old having a disability entitle it to receive clothes by the taxpayers? You are the parent. You chose to have a child. You should be the one responsible to clothe them, to feed them, to shelter them. Not I. Not every other tax payer. There's a difference in adults that can't work because of a disability and a child. Children aren't required to work. It's the responsibility of the parents to take care of children, because children can't take care of themselves. Yet, adults are expected to take care of themselves. When they can't because of a disability, they go to SSI. But children don't need it....not until they reach adulthood.

I'd love to see a survey of who receives SSI. My guess..and most here would agree...is that families go together to the mail box to pick up their checks. It's not generally for a disability. It's because they have a sense of entitlement. It's ridiculous.
i know wrote:
<quoted text>well i work and my chid doesnt drink md or red bull and it has not a thing got to do with parentinmg skills cause she doesn'st get what she wants and she does get her butt spanked when needed in walmarts or at school wherever she will always need medical treatment i dont think she will ever be able to get a good paying job cause she cant read had age 8 even though i help her and school does too and she freaks out over the clothes everday have to hold her down to put them on and she cry's saying the feeling of them hurts her , she was tested 2 yrs ago and some percents at 6 put her at a3 yr olds level commucation,etc and if they didn't think she needeed it she wouldn't have gotten it i have all kinds of papers from doctors and doctors that i took with me when i signed her up, and the money goes to helping with things she needs i buy her leap frog which helps her to read a little she has her own bank account for her when she get's of age, gas to take her to doctors clothes for her .
kelli

Somerset, KY

#20 Nov 11, 2008
What dr is good to go to to help get your child a check that has a dissability with adhd?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corbin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Redhound basketball (Mar '08) 10 min foxy 28
leah norvell 12 min Better than no one 19
Jennifer vaughn (Feb '17) 35 min foxy 7
Damon patterson 1 hr Amy 1
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr Seriously 170,624
Tim Short Automotive Corbin 6 hr verabradley 13
Well 6 hr moooooo 8

Corbin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Corbin Mortgages