Plans for commercial operations in Hamilton Township move forward

Developers are proceeding with plans to expand retail operations at U.S. 30 and Warm Spring Road west of Chambersburg: - The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection recently approved sewer and water ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Yep Yep

Haddon Heights, NJ

#21 Dec 19, 2008
Can't they just leave weel enough alone??? Harrisburg itself only has one Walmart! Rumour has it, its will be a WalMart. Glad I don't live there anymore!
Why Worry

Chambersburg, PA

#22 Dec 19, 2008
IN most area's of the country construction sites usually tell you the name of the store or company that is being built. Usually placing a large sign with the company's logo in a highly visible location.

Around here I can only remember one such sign being in place over the years. It's a deep dark secret until the opening. The only signs being shown are of the contractor and the bank
Just what we need

Wilmington, DE

#23 Dec 22, 2008
I am glad they are building a retail center in west Chambersburg. And I bet all the people not wanting it will be shopping there as soon as it opens. I bet once they open a new steakhouse or other food places everyone will be flocking to it. I am all for it. I wish they would got ahead and build a huge mall to replace the dinky run down mall they have in the north end. Everytime I'm in that place I see tumble weeds blowing around.

Since: Dec 07

Chambersburg, PA

#24 Dec 22, 2008
As far as I can tell, the lot was only zoned for a "wal-mart sized retailer." Nothing has been decided yet... I don't think. If it was, why wouldn't they just tell us?

I do doubt that it's another Wal-Mart, although I wouldn't be entirely surprised. The Chambersburg Wal-Mart doesn't just serve Chambersburg, but also a very large population of people living in the outlying area. While Franklin County is mostly rural, the rural population as a whole is quite large. And they shop at Wal-Mart... almost excusively. The Chambersburg Wal-Mart is typically beyond what I even call "crowded" these days as well.

A Wal Mart on that side of town would probably service not just the folks on the west end of Chambersburg, but also Fort Loudon and the McConnellsburg area as well.

In regards to Harrisburg, if you consider the East and West shores, there are two Wal-Marts and two Targets servicing both... and the distances between the two are not much farther than the distances two Wal-Marts in this area would service.

So, yeah, I agree that the whiners end up being the first people to shop there. And as much as I absolutely despise Wal-Mart (I haven't set foot in one in years) it does bring some positive economic growth that helps the community through tax revenues and charity.

All that said, I would not be surprised if it was a different retailer... a Border's would be nice :)
Dave

United States

#25 Dec 22, 2008
I'm betting on Walmart.

We lose better paying factory jobs & shop at Wally's to save money when it is Wally's that brow-beat their suppliers into selling their goods so cheap the only place they can make them profitably enough is overseas.

Will we ever learn?

On the other hand, when you shop at Wally's you pay a little less for junk that is made in China than if you bought the same item at a hardware store that was also made in China but has the Brand Name tag.

Do we really make anything in the U.S. anymore?
hate that place

Chambersburg, PA

#26 Dec 22, 2008
walmart sucks only in business to put others out of work! look who shops in thoses stores. do we need more on this side of town

Since: Aug 08

Chambersburg, PA

#27 Dec 22, 2008
hate that place wrote:
walmart sucks only in business to put others out of work! look who shops in thoses stores. do we need more on this side of town
So where do you go to buy your shampoo?

Believe it or not, Walmart is not a Mecca for white trash unemployed welfare recipients. Walmart has begun to clean up its act, and begin to offer higher quality items at reasonable prices to compete with Target. I, for one, welcome a 2nd Walmart to Chambersburg. I live a mile from Walmart, but cannot manage driving 15 miles to one, especially through downtown chambersburg.

As for shopping and closing smaller stores downtown... Downtown has to revitalize itself selling goods and services that Walmart doesn't offer. Boutique stores, Salons, Restaurants, and more. If you've been downtown in the last 3 months... you'd realize its already happening!

Welcome Walmart #2, and cheers to the downtown shop owners who are raising the bar in terms of quality and diversity of the goods in the Chambersburg Boutiques!

There is room for both types of stores in Franklin County.
Anon33

Plainfield, NJ

#28 Dec 22, 2008
Dave wrote:
I'm betting on Walmart.
We lose better paying factory jobs & shop at Wally's to save money when it is Wally's that brow-beat their suppliers into selling their goods so cheap the only place they can make them profitably enough is overseas.
Will we ever learn?
On the other hand, when you shop at Wally's you pay a little less for junk that is made in China than if you bought the same item at a hardware store that was also made in China but has the Brand Name tag.
Do we really make anything in the U.S. anymore?
Wait a minute Dave. I thought you said George Bush was responsible for jobs going overseas now you tell us its Walmart? Must have been one of those evil geniuses I guess. I forgot its both of them and the evil management of the car companies also.
Anon33

Plainfield, NJ

#29 Dec 22, 2008
Anybody but the unions, they aren't responsible for anything.

Since: Dec 07

Chambersburg, PA

#30 Dec 22, 2008
Here we go... we don't need this while jtb's on vaction.
Richard

Honey Grove, PA

#31 Dec 22, 2008
You sure he's not back. I thought I saw one of his unborn child killer post earlier.
Coppy wrote:
Here we go... we don't need this while jtb's on vaction.
holeholehole

Barnegat, NJ

#32 Dec 22, 2008
Coppy wrote:
All that said, I would not be surprised if it was a different retailer... a Border's would be nice :)
Why the heck would Borders even consider Franklin County? I guess they could stock it with "Love Them Holstiens", "Jeff Conner - To Crook Or Not To Crook", "Huntin' Fer Whitetails - The Dillys Saga",...."Three Generations Later" the fictional Trilogy about ?????...ok nothing!"
druzeman

Shippensburg, PA

#33 Dec 22, 2008
sounds like you need to crawl out of that hole of yours and read some new books!
holeholehole

Barnegat, NJ

#34 Dec 23, 2008
druzeman wrote:
sounds like you need to crawl out of that hole of yours and read some new books!
sure will druzewoman - when hell freezes over and Borders come to Hamilton Township.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coraopolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: MDofPC Doctor of Computers (Apr '13) Dec 24 Donald Davidson 21
Video: Boys Soccer Wpial a Championship Sewickl... Nov '14 tcdavis 1
Review: Midas Auto Service Experts Robinson TWP... (Jul '12) Oct '14 Fed up customer 8
Heard off the street: Dreams of steel minimill ... Sep '14 Sam 1
in search of newer red impala involved in hit &... Sep '14 rondo 1
Dozens arrested after Coraopolis-area drug inve... Aug '14 debb 1
WHERE'S Dan???? Jul '14 Racketteer 2
Coraopolis Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Coraopolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Coraopolis News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Coraopolis

Personal Finance