DeFazio calls for rail probe

Full story: The World
A train engineer gives one last wave, as a final Central Oregon & Pacific Railroad train leaves Coos Bay on Wednesday morning. Full Story
Old Time RRer

Delray Beach, FL

#1 Sep 29, 2007
RailAmerica has drastically cut their capex budget as Fortress wants to get a return on its investment and new management wants to cut all capex. They will also seek to drive hard bargain with the state of Washington.

There's gold in those many CORP miles of track that will be abandoned. RailAmerica needs the cash. Short line's used to be focused on the community but new management is focused on achieving short term gains.
CORP

Delray Beach, FL

#2 Sep 29, 2007
If the state of Washington provides economic incentives to keep this line open its a mistake. They need to go on the offensive with regards to RailAmerica's remaining assets in the state of Washington. Fortress (owner of RailAmerica) is not interested in working with shippers and the state. They want cash. Lots of pressure from banks on their short term funding.
The CORP has long been a basketcase. It is in need of significant capital investment but the Fortress team knew what it was buying. They visited teh railroad prior to purchasing it.
Make no mistake they stand to make millions by abandoning this railroad and picking up the rail and sellign the real estate.
RailAmerica signed an agreement to invest significant capital in the CORP as a result of a settlement with the state/regulators. Status?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coquille Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Happy Tails Dog Grooming ?? (Nov '06) Wed oh yes 4
Downtown stabbing injures McMinnville man Nov 23 We hate coos bay ... 1
Documentary shows Oregon's economic woes self-i... Nov 22 Forgotten Resident 3
Bay Area Hospital working to lower readmission ... Nov 19 Forgotten Resident 1
Coos Bay moms concerned for students in So. Coa... Nov 19 Forgotten Resident 1
Does 'brain drain' apply to Coos County? Nov 13 Forgotten Resident 1
State SWAT team called in to arrest Coos Bay man Nov 13 Forgotten Resident 1
Coquille Dating
Find my Match

Coquille People Search