Skate World closing after 35 years

Posted in the Copperas Cove Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
iluvit73

Waco, TX

#1 Jun 8, 2010
It's a shame. I went there when I was a kid. It's just not enough people were going and they weren't making the money. Anyway it's sad cause our youth will have one less place to go. Good-bye Skate World.
Retired 1SG

Belton, TX

#2 Jun 8, 2010
Indeed sad.
test123

United States

#3 Jun 10, 2010
iluvit73 - I hate to say it, but kids arent going there either way.
Taking into account the the only major upgrade in the last 10 plus years was removing the police car in the center of th rink and a coat of paint on the outside.
I dont think it is a bad business, but it will need someone willing to put a little more then fresh paint to make it work.
abc123

Waco, TX

#4 Jun 15, 2010
The kids do go there, drive by on a Friday night and you will see.
Retired 1SG

Belton, TX

#5 Jun 15, 2010
Both of mine spent many a Friday night, Saturday afternoon and night there, but it was only for a few years then they get past that stage.
Yeah, it's packed Friday night, but that's about it.
Needs business at other times. The owner states he's going to open one in Killeen. Lot of good that'll do us.
Oyes

Belton, TX

#6 Jun 15, 2010
Who owms skate world ?
Retired 1SG

Belton, TX

#7 Jun 15, 2010
Steve something or the other. Forget his last name.
Oyes

Belton, TX

#8 Jun 16, 2010
Retired 1SG wrote:
Steve something or the other. Forget his last name.
Does Ruffin strike a note ?
Cove Oldie

Killeen, TX

#9 Jun 16, 2010
Ruffin sold it a long time ago.

It is crowded on both Fridays and Saturdays. I don't like taking my younger kids because there are so many middle school and high school bullys there. We have been to many birthday parties on Saturday afternoons, it is busy.

I would bet he is not closing due to a lack of business but for some other reason. Maybe because the building owner is trying to sell the building.

“Wheels Family Skating Center”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#10 Jul 5, 2010
I am happy to announce that my family and I are purchasing the skating rink in Copperas Cove. We will be adding air conditioning/heat, the floor will be redone as well as the parking lot. We plan to do many upgrades. My family and I grew up in the roller skating business. My sister (and partner in this business) skated competitively since she was 3. Our parents managed skating rinks as we were growing up. This is a lifestyle for us It is more of a passion than a business. We have so many wonderful things planned, and I feel that the community will be very pleased. I will do my best to keep you updated, and I look forward to working with this wonderful community!
Wondering

Killeen, TX

#11 Jul 5, 2010
Wheels family.....GOOD LUCK & Best Wishes.
Wheels Family Skating

United States

#12 Jul 14, 2010
Wondering wrote:
Wheels family.....GOOD LUCK & Best Wishes.
Thanks so much!!
iluvit73

Waco, TX

#13 Aug 19, 2010
Has anybody else heard anything about Skateworld? I saw the property had been surveyed and saw people one time there, but that's it.

Since: Jan 09

copperas cove, tx

#15 Nov 1, 2010
What happened to the sale of skate world? Anyone know?
SmokeAndMirrors

Belton, TX

#16 Nov 1, 2010
annamariancove wrote:
What happened to the sale of skate world? Anyone know?
My name says it all?
Br3br3

Killeen, TX

#17 Nov 5, 2010
why doesent the information about skate world float around anymore.
hello

Killeen, TX

#18 Nov 6, 2010
To the Wheels Family,
What is the current status of Skateworld? Are you still the new owners? The kids all read that you were opening it back up to the public and many are wondering when it might open again to include my own. There are rumors being passed around that you are no longer interested and have decided not to purchase it. Can you clarify your status and involvement with Skateworld please?
Thank you
Kelsey

Houston, TX

#19 Jan 13, 2011
How about that update?
Wheels Family Skating wrote:
I am happy to announce that my family and I are purchasing the skating rink in Copperas Cove. We will be adding air conditioning/heat, the floor will be redone as well as the parking lot. We plan to do many upgrades. My family and I grew up in the roller skating business. My sister (and partner in this business) skated competitively since she was 3. Our parents managed skating rinks as we were growing up. This is a lifestyle for us It is more of a passion than a business. We have so many wonderful things planned, and I feel that the community will be very pleased. I will do my best to keep you updated, and I look forward to working with this wonderful community!
Vanessa

Killeen, TX

#20 Mar 25, 2011
Is Skate World om Copperas Cove still open? I tried to call but the number is a non working number.
Fulofit

Waco, TX

#21 Mar 25, 2011
It closed 9 months ago.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Copperas Cove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
searching 14 hr shad 1
Jonathan rhen kitten (Oct '16) Wed Opinion 3
News Company will implant microchips in its employees Wed tamara 1
Review: Armadillo Properties (Jan '09) Jul 22 Kyrak 77
1 st Armored Division (May '09) Jul 20 SmokinJoe 46
16th Engineer Battalion "Catamounts" (May '09) Jul 18 SmokinJoe 6
What is your All Time Cove team? Just for fun! (Oct '08) Jul 13 Added 85

Copperas Cove Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance