City Holiday Street Lights on 190

City Holiday Street Lights on 190

Posted in the Copperas Cove Forum

Cove Citizen

Copperas Cove, TX

#1 Dec 26, 2012
Hey Cove City Politicians!!! What is up with our pitiful display of holiday street lights on 190. I know they are old but maybe it's time to find replacements lights or at least establish some program within the city to fund replacements. We have so many gaps in coverage it's noticeable and shows a lack of pride in our city. I know we have more pressing matters but at least look into it......thanks.
A Cove Citizen.
Tax Exemption

Salado, TX

#2 Jan 1, 2013
And how do you propose that the lights get funded?

For those who may not be aware, the City has faced for the last several years a reduction in the amount of money that is coming in. A portion of that reduction is tied to the veterans property tax exemption.

Before you throw stones at this post please know that I fully support the sacrifices that our men and women have made for us however, the property tax exemption is having a serious financial impact upon our community. Not only is the city recieving less so is the county, school district, colleges, etc.

Bottom line the property tax exemption is an awesome thing for the veterans, but due to the large number of vets in our community the financial impact is substantial.

So what does this mean? It means that the entities that recieve funding due to property taxation are having to provide the same amount of services to the same number of citizens for less money.

You may say to yourself well it is only $1500 (average amount I guess) what negative impact could that have? Well your $1500 may not be much, but when 300 people are not paying property tax that is quite a large amount of money.

City services, school services, county services and so forth suffer. There is less money for christmas lights, less employees to serve us and so forth.

Taxation is simply a fact of life. The vets do not have to take the exemption, but they can if they like.

Please make sure that you honor our vets, but please also understand that the property tax exemption that has been afforded to them makes us have to do without or do with less of.
whotoldyou

Killeen, TX

#3 Jan 4, 2013
Now Who told you all that
Tax Exemption wrote:
And how do you propose that the lights get funded?
For those who may not be aware, the City has faced for the last several years a reduction in the amount of money that is coming in. A portion of that reduction is tied to the veterans property tax exemption.
Before you throw stones at this post please know that I fully support the sacrifices that our men and women have made for us however, the property tax exemption is having a serious financial impact upon our community. Not only is the city recieving less so is the county, school district, colleges, etc.
Bottom line the property tax exemption is an awesome thing for the veterans, but due to the large number of vets in our community the financial impact is substantial.
So what does this mean? It means that the entities that recieve funding due to property taxation are having to provide the same amount of services to the same number of citizens for less money.
You may say to yourself well it is only $1500 (average amount I guess) what negative impact could that have? Well your $1500 may not be much, but when 300 people are not paying property tax that is quite a large amount of money.
City services, school services, county services and so forth suffer. There is less money for christmas lights, less employees to serve us and so forth.
Taxation is simply a fact of life. The vets do not have to take the exemption, but they can if they like.
Please make sure that you honor our vets, but please also understand that the property tax exemption that has been afforded to them makes us have to do without or do with less of.
Tax Exemption

Salado, TX

#4 Jan 6, 2013
Duh! Where have you been the last 3 years. Pay attention to what is going on around these communities. Here are a coupe of links to take a look at:

http://67.79.126.21/agenda_pub lish.cfm?dsp=agm&seq=298 &rev=0&form_type=AG_ME MO&beg_meetmth=1&beg_m eetyr=2011&end_meetmth=1 &end_meetyr=2013&mt=AL L&sstr=exemption&dept= ALL&hartkeywords=&sort by=f.form_num, f.rev_num&fp=ADVSRCH&S tartRow=1#ReturnTo0

http://67.79.126.21/agenda_pub lish.cfm?dsp=agm&seq=764 &rev=0&form_type=AG_ME MO&beg_meetmth=1&beg_m eetyr=2011&end_meetmth=1 &end_meetyr=2013&mt=AL L&sstr=exemption&dept= ALL&hartkeywords=&sort by=f.form_num, f.rev_num&fp=ADVSRCH&S tartRow=1#ReturnTo0
Tax Exemption

Salado, TX

#5 Jan 6, 2013
Ok the links that I posted will not work when posted here.

You can view the information on the city of copperas cove website www.copperascovetx.gov

On the tab at the top select Government, then select Council, Boards and Commission Agendas, then scroll down to the blue area and change the start date to Jan 2011 and then enter EXEMPTION in the search title box.

From there you can read more about the tax exemption and the impact that it is taking on our community.

Our community is the not the only one affected. Any community in Texas that has a large number of veterans who are recieving the tax exemption are being affected by the loss in tax revenue.

Research the effects on schools and county governments as well.

I am sure that you too will find that the exemption is placing a financial burden on the entities.

Bottom line that I want to reiterate is that I do support our veterans and all the sacrifices that they and their families have made for the freedom that we all enjoy. The issue is the lawmakers did not take into account the financial impact it would have on communities like ours when they passed this law. It is an unfunded mandate that has made it tough on our community.
Pro-Vet

Salado, TX

#6 Jan 6, 2013
Tax Exemption wrote:
Ok the links that I posted will not work when posted here.

You can view the information on the city of copperas cove website www.copperascovetx.gov

On the tab at the top select Government, then select Council, Boards and Commission Agendas, then scroll down to the blue area and change the start date to Jan 2011 and then enter EXEMPTION in the search title box.

From there you can read more about the tax exemption and the impact that it is taking on our community.

Our community is the not the only one affected. Any community in Texas that has a large number of veterans who are recieving the tax exemption are being affected by the loss in tax revenue.

Research the effects on schools and county governments as well.

I am sure that you too will find that the exemption is placing a financial burden on the entities.

Bottom line that I want to reiterate is that I do support our veterans and all the sacrifices that they and their families have made for the freedom that we all enjoy. The issue is the lawmakers did not take into account the financial impact it would have on communities like ours when they passed this law. It is an unfunded mandate that has made it tough on our community.
It looks like Peterson is up to NO good again.
whotoldyou

Killeen, TX

#7 Jan 8, 2013
yea looks that way
Cove Citizen

Waco, TX

#8 Jan 8, 2013
100 Percent Disabled Veterans FAQ

Section 11.131 of the Tax Code requires an exemption of the total appraised value of homesteads of Texas veterans who received 100% compensation from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs due to a 100 percent disability rating or determination of individual unemployability by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
----------
I'm a disabled veteran living in Cove and I don't qualify for this "exemption" that prevents the tax revenue you speak of. You Sir are advocating we tax 100% disabled veterans living in Cove. Are we really that desperate?
----------
whotoldyou

Killeen, TX

#9 Jan 8, 2013
well for sure the city staff is and what is his name.
Kenn Smith

Waco, TX

#10 Jan 12, 2013
To clarify a couple of things in this thread. First, neither Mark Peterson, the City Manager nor any other part of our city government/administration had anything to say about the tax exemption for 100% disabled veterans as defined by the state code. Second, for Cove Citizen, if you are in fact 100% service connected disabled your (and others) argument is with the county tax assessor/collector, not with the city. In August we receive a certified tax roll from the assessor's office and that is what we work with for our annual budget - we have NO influence on what he sends us.
Cove Citizen

Waco, TX

#11 Jan 12, 2013
Thank you for the honest response. I was just making the point that not all disabled vets qualify as was being suggested. I am only partially disabled and have no problem paying my share of taxes along with all others. I take exception to taxing the 100% disabled Vets though as a source of additional revenue for the city. I doubt if any city official would seriously consider it.
My original topic of the Holiday lights....I would "Sponsor" a light as I'm sure more Cove citizens would as a means to improve the city. I never suggested out right purchasing of new lights funded by taxes.
Kenn Smith

Waco, TX

#12 Jan 13, 2013
Cove Citizen, good thought on sponsoring a Christmas street decoration, I'll take it up with the city manager to see if it is "doable". I might so one, also.

In regards to taxing 100% disabled veterans, we couldn't it we wanted to, and we don't. The exemption is state law and we can't override state law. I have never heard the first mention of such a move from any council member. Don't forget, of the seven members six of us are military retirees and the seventh is the wife of a retired CSM - we are very aware of veteran's issues.

The fact remains, however, that the exemption is, for this fiscal year, costing us about $300,000 in lost revenue - that's a hard fact. We do our best to accomodate for that loss without increasing the tax rate. Over the coming years the revenue loss will become greater and if our sales tax revenues don't show significant increases we might be forced to again look at the tax rate. Our problem right now is that our revenue stream is too heavily dependent on ad valorem property taxes as opposed to sales and franchise taxes. We hope that with the opening and development of the Shops at Five Hills that balance will start to shift.
Tax Exemption

Rhome, TX

#13 Jan 21, 2013
To follow up on my original post. I was not calling out any particular veteran. The tax exemption is NOT only for those who are 100% disabled. It is for partial disability as well.

Again I do not have an agenda against any veteran. I was simply pointing out the financial impact that the law is having on this community.

Please be reminded, the exemption at what ever level may apply, affects, County, City, Schools, and any other entity that may provide services based upon ad-valorem taxes.

I was only trying to explain why christmas lights may not be priority financially for the city.

I apologize if I have offended anyone by explaining the financial circumstance that taxing entities are enduring.
ProVet

Salado, TX

#14 Jan 23, 2013
FACTS WILL SET YOU FREE

Veteran's with disabilities rated between 10 and 90 percent do not get a 100% tax exemption. In fact, the average disability rating is 30 percent.
Veterans with a 30 percent rating get a lowering of their property assessed value by $7500, while a 90 percent disabled veteran gets a $12000 lowering of assessed value for Copperas Cove city taxes.
Copperas Cove property tax rate is sixty-seven cents per one hundred dollars of assessed value. As a side note, Cove has the highest tax rate in the area.
A 90 percent rated Veteran gets a lowering of Cove City property taxes by a whopping $80.40.
whotoldyou

Killeen, TX

#15 Jan 27, 2013
where did you get the detail facts you have stated thus far? your facts only referred to veterans.
Tax Exemption wrote:
To follow up on my original post. I was not calling out any particular veteran. The tax exemption is NOT only for those who are 100% disabled. It is for partial disability as well.
Again I do not have an agenda against any veteran. I was simply pointing out the financial impact that the law is having on this community.
Please be reminded, the exemption at what ever level may apply, affects, County, City, Schools, and any other entity that may provide services based upon ad-valorem taxes.
I was only trying to explain why christmas lights may not be priority financially for the city.
I apologize if I have offended anyone by explaining the financial circumstance that taxing entities are enduring.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Copperas Cove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Court Martial Held At Fort Hood For Sergeant Da... (May '07) Thu Rusty 58
Fort Hood Motor Pool (Jul '12) Thu Michael Biondo 5
Please sign the petition to get alcohol on the ... Apr 26 Billy 3
Toddler Drowns in Backyard Pool (May '09) Apr 26 Your friend Jacob 20
Review: Young Libersky & Holbrook (May '11) Apr 25 TLane 6
Black Meg 43 (Aug '10) Apr 23 Artful Dodger 142
hookers in kleen or copperas cove (Feb '10) Apr 23 Lawrence 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Copperas Cove Mortgages