Stephenville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2011

Judged:

I read the post on the pool not making money & that was not it's purpose for profit - if this is so why are we going to spend millions for a new indoor pool, giant softball complex etc. Does the city really need this built out at Ogletree Gap. Seems we like to spend money to keep up with the surrounding area - why hasn't there been a dog park built or a nature trail & what happened to the FEMA money for replacing the bridge at Heritage Park - there is limited parking & a lot of kids & mothers have to walk around to take their kids to play. Finish what we promised to do before we start on something else. Look how long it took to get sidewalks on FM 1113 & a new bridge at City Park????????
Put up or shut up

Copperas Cove, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2011

Judged:

Seems like we have a lot of blow hards on this message board that like to talk but don't do anything to help. How many of you posting all of these complaints have been to a council meeting or a budget meeting? The upcoming year's budget is being worked on as we speak. There are opportunities for you to speak at the meetings. There are also boards and committees that you can volunteer for and have input on various areas of the city. Finally if you really want to help and think you can do a better job run for council. I really do wonder how many of you actually work to make the changes you want to see.
citizenquestion

Stephenville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2011

Judged:

Put up or shut up wrote:
Seems like we have a lot of blow hards on this message board that like to talk but don't do anything to help. How many of you posting all of these complaints have been to a council meeting or a budget meeting? The upcoming year's budget is being worked on as we speak. There are opportunities for you to speak at the meetings. There are also boards and committees that you can volunteer for and have input on various areas of the city. Finally if you really want to help and think you can do a better job run for council. I really do wonder how many of you actually work to make the changes you want to see.
I was just asking so you shut up & do something & yes I have to all your question & I have talked to all council members & nothing gets done - all a citizen gets is their question recorded in the minutes but there is never a follow-up & if you bring it up again their comments is we are working on it. So again you shut up!
Retired 1SG

Copperas Cove, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2011

I am in constant contact with city council members. I attend meetings once in a while. Most of the meetings are an case of "open and shut" - items are passed about automatically as they were all discussed behind closed doors.
Doublespeak

Copperas Cove, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2011

Retired 1SG wrote:
I am in constant contact with city council members. I attend meetings once in a while. Most of the meetings are an case of "open and shut" - items are passed about automatically as they were all discussed behind closed doors.
Top, if we did what you say we do (discuss items behind closed doors) we would be in violation of the Texas Open Meetings Act and subject to removal from office and civil penalties. We don't do that. Watch closely and you will see the the three of us who are VFW post members don't even discuss city business when we are at meetings - that cou;ld be interpreted as a "walking quoroum", a violation of the Open Meetings Act.

The process is that we receive the agenda packet on Thursday before the Tuesday meeting - until that time we really don't even know what is on the agenda unless we have requested a specific item be added and two other members agreed. Between Thursday and Tuesday we are free to speak to whoever is the sponsor of the item. If, for example, Chief Baker is the presenter for something for the FD any of us can call him for clarificatiomn or whatever. The same holds true for the City Manager or whoever the presenter may be.

You can think the worst about the council all you want to but when you accuse us of violating the law you should have your facts straight.
Coupon

Stephenville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2011

What is your name in real life?
Doublespeak wrote:
<quoted text>
Top, if we did what you say we do (discuss items behind closed doors) we would be in violation of the Texas Open Meetings Act and subject to removal from office and civil penalties. We don't do that. Watch closely and you will see the the three of us who are VFW post members don't even discuss city business when we are at meetings - that cou;ld be interpreted as a "walking quoroum", a violation of the Open Meetings Act.
The process is that we receive the agenda packet on Thursday before the Tuesday meeting - until that time we really don't even know what is on the agenda unless we have requested a specific item be added and two other members agreed. Between Thursday and Tuesday we are free to speak to whoever is the sponsor of the item. If, for example, Chief Baker is the presenter for something for the FD any of us can call him for clarificatiomn or whatever. The same holds true for the City Manager or whoever the presenter may be.
You can think the worst about the council all you want to but when you accuse us of violating the law you should have your facts straight.
Doublespeak

Copperas Cove, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2011

Coupon wrote:
What is your name in real life?
<quoted text>
Oops! By accident I used the nom de guere I use while posting to another site; wasn't trying to hide anything. I'm Kenn Smith.
Retired 1SG

Copperas Cove, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2011

That's not what I meant Kenn. And, besides, there are four council members who are VFW members. One chooses not to attend meetings or functions.
Kenyon

Copperas Cove, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2011

Judged:

Doublespeak wrote:
<quoted text>
Oops! By accident I used the nom de guere I use while posting to another site; wasn't trying to hide anything. I'm Kenn Smith.
Would you be the same Doublespeak/Kenn Smith, City Councilman, that posted on page 12 of the civil service petition thread in which you stated that the union organizers lie through their teeth. You do realize that the members of the union are the firefighters of Copperas Cove. So basically you just called your employees liars.
You then go on to state,“The hard fact is that so long as the city is an "at will" employer they can't form a collective bargaining unit and force the city to recognize them.” By stating this you prove that you did not take the time to educate yourself on this issue because if you had you would know the difference between civil service and collective bargaining. I wonder where or who you recieved information on it from.
I wonder where you got the phrase “force the city to recognize them.” Sounds like something a city manager might say and all you did was regurgitate it.
You are an example of the uninformed, keeping the masses blind and then trying to lead them.
Kenn Smith

Copperas Cove, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2011

Judged:

Kenyon wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you be the same Doublespeak/Kenn Smith, City Councilman, that posted on page 12 of the civil service petition thread in which you stated that the union organizers lie through their teeth. You do realize that the members of the union are the firefighters of Copperas Cove. So basically you just called your employees liars.
You then go on to state,“The hard fact is that so long as the city is an "at will" employer they can't form a collective bargaining unit and force the city to recognize them.” By stating this you prove that you did not take the time to educate yourself on this issue because if you had you would know the difference between civil service and collective bargaining. I wonder where or who you recieved information on it from.
I wonder where you got the phrase “force the city to recognize them.” Sounds like something a city manager might say and all you did was regurgitate it.
You are an example of the uninformed, keeping the masses blind and then trying to lead them.
Uninformed? I was taking graduate classes in Labor Economics and Collective Bargaining when you were most likely in diapers. I worked in federal civil service for just over 15 years, retired as the manager of a fairly large department. "..keeping the masses blindthen trying to lead them." - have you been reading Lenin lately? Your post was offensive and insulting.

I have not made a public statement regarding the civil service issue and have no intention of doing so. I have posted under two names here, KRay and my full one. I use Doublespeak only in posting to a couple of Usenet groups and it is always a pretty good idea to conceal your identity on Usenet.
Citizen

Tatum, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2011

Judged:

I find it hard to believe you accidentally posted using your username for another forum. Most likely posted in another thread and then forgot or didn't notice it had retained the name you had used to post. Sounds like a lame cover up to me.
Kenn Smith

Copperas Cove, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2011

Judged:

Citizen wrote:
I find it hard to believe you accidentally posted using your username for another forum. Most likely posted in another thread and then forgot or didn't notice it had retained the name you had used to post. Sounds like a lame cover up to me.
I don't really care what you believe or don't believel. I was posting from mu laptop which seems to have a mind of its own accompanied by a personality disorder. It does some really weird stuff, I've had it in the shop twice, and it continues to do itd own ting.

Since: Nov 09

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2011

Judged:

Retired 1SG wrote:
I don't play golf. I have never cared for it. But I know many who are avid golfers. None of them like Cove's course. We keep sinking money into it - had to expand it to 18 holes, then clubhouse turnover repeatedly. Somewhere it has to end. I realize it can be a selling point if a business wants to relocate here, but when is that the last time that's happened? I know you can't keep raising green fees to turn a profit. If that happened it would be too expensive and nobody would play on it. Recommend, the, that tournaments be held on it a few times every year. but if this thing doesn't soon start not to be a drain of tax payers' money then sell it, lease it or downright close it. We can't keep throwing good money towards it all the time.
The Golf Course made money when it was a 9-hole facility. The main reason it did was that it was kept in very good shape. The reason golfers don't come to Cove to play now is because the course has been in bad shape since just after the second 9 holes were added. What the city failed to do when they added 9 more holes was to increase the maintenance staff to keep it up. You have the same size maintenance staff trying to cover twice the work. They just can't keep up. The golf course could be a good source of revenue for the city if it were in better shape.
Kenn Smith

Copperas Cove, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2011

Retired CPO wrote:
<quoted text>
The Golf Course made money when it was a 9-hole facility. The main reason it did was that it was kept in very good shape. The reason golfers don't come to Cove to play now is because the course has been in bad shape since just after the second 9 holes were added. What the city failed to do when they added 9 more holes was to increase the maintenance staff to keep it up. You have the same size maintenance staff trying to cover twice the work. They just can't keep up. The golf course could be a good source of revenue for the city if it were in better shape.
You're partly correct about the shortage of maintenance people, Chief, but the problems for the course really started when it was cut off from city water and started using treated effluent. There just wasn't enough of it to do the entire course. The new 1.1 - 1.2 million gallon pond will solve a lot ot the problem but maybe not all of it. The NE treatment plant is having really low flows during the drought because a lot of stormwater runoff ends up there. The last time I talked ti Wes he said the flow was around 300,000 gallons a day, about half of what is needed to water the entire course. So initially it may ber necessary to water a day then skip a day to allow the pond to at least partially refill.

I asked Mike Chnadler at a budget workshop if he was going to have enough people to maintain the course once he stated throwing water at it and he thought that his crew and volunteers could handle it.
If that doesn't work out we might need to do a budget adjustment at midyear review, We have the four cities tournament for Twxas A&M - CT next July and expect to have the course in much better condition by then. We don't want to embarass the city.
Citizen

Copperas Cove, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2011

Kenn Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't really care what you believe or don't believel. I was posting from mu laptop which seems to have a mind of its own accompanied by a personality disorder. It does some really weird stuff, I've had it in the shop twice, and it continues to do itd own ting.
Well it doesn't matter if you care or not. The fact is that the username that you accidentally used in this thread is exactly the same as the username in the other thread. In the other thread the person using your username made some pretty inflammatory accusations. On this website the username is either manually entered or placed there using a cookie from this website that was created from a previous post. There is no way that a usenet login would be placed in the login on this website, and it is way too much of a coincidence that someone posted using the exact same username prior to you using it in this thread.

The fact is you posted in the Civil Service thread. Your comment was inflammatory and uninformed. You then came to this thread and posted and forgot to change the login name back to your real name. The reason that this is important is the fact that you were being sneaky and dishonest. You are a council member and that is unacceptable. I have felt for a while that it was a bad idea for any council members to be on here and you proved me correct. You've lost my vote and my respect.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Copperas Cove Discussions

Search the Copperas Cove Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 1 hr Defiant1 21,531
Coves Sales Taxes Down Again? 5 hr Travis 52
VineLink - See who's in jail anywhere in the USA! (Apr '07) 20 hr Michael Prochilo 38
Review: Action Pawn Sat micah Robinson 1
1 st Armored Division (May '09) Sat Jayar 40
Training at Ft. Hood Sat Jayar 1
non voters costing city money Jul 23 Billy 5
•••
•••
•••
•••

Copperas Cove Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••