Budget Questions?
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
packisback

Killeen, TX

#1 Aug 6, 2011
Just some small items in question:
1) City Council's budgets seems to have grown from last year. For example contractual services was increase by $7,827 from last year, supplies was increased by $876, personal support increased by $1,795 and Total increase from last year is $1,498. Where is the tightening of the belt?
2) It seems a few departments have also increase their contractual services this budget but not as much as the City Mgr has - she increase her's this year by $76,028. Can this be justified in these tough times?
It's hard to believe that Water & Solid waste will be way below their ideal fund balance (if you look at the budget workshop graphs you will scratch your head too). We are a growing city & somewhere we should be seeing a lot more revenue comming into this city but if you look at the budget submitted you would think we are living well above our means. Tax rate of .76 with a rollback rate of .85 & you want to cut the seniors exemption rate for what pay increases come on most of the citizens are not getting a pay increase on thei fixed income why can't the city do the same?
Coveite

Waco, TX

#2 Aug 6, 2011
Good points all.
Want to save some big bucks? Sell the golf course, let someone buy it and operate it.
Pedro

Burnet, TX

#3 Aug 6, 2011
Coveite wrote:
Good points all.
Want to save some big bucks? Sell the golf course, let someone buy it and operate it.
With the water restiction it should burn up and blow away. Needs to be closed down.
Research it First

Rhome, TX

#4 Aug 6, 2011
Pack
You should consider going to or watching the meetings. The raise in amounts was clearly stated during the meetings. Before you speak check it out.
All council meetings are recorded and may be viewed on the city website. There are years and years of them there. Please go take a look.
packisback wrote:
Just some small items in question:
1) City Council's budgets seems to have grown from last year. For example contractual services was increase by $7,827 from last year, supplies was increased by $876, personal support increased by $1,795 and Total increase from last year is $1,498. Where is the tightening of the belt?
2) It seems a few departments have also increase their contractual services this budget but not as much as the City Mgr has - she increase her's this year by $76,028. Can this be justified in these tough times?
It's hard to believe that Water & Solid waste will be way below their ideal fund balance (if you look at the budget workshop graphs you will scratch your head too). We are a growing city & somewhere we should be seeing a lot more revenue comming into this city but if you look at the budget submitted you would think we are living well above our means. Tax rate of .76 with a rollback rate of .85 & you want to cut the seniors exemption rate for what pay increases come on most of the citizens are not getting a pay increase on thei fixed income why can't the city do the same?
packisback

Killeen, TX

#5 Aug 7, 2011
Research I did where do you think I got the info - my question is is it really necessary in our current economic situation. Can the City Mgr go without (she could review what services are really ned for the city at this time & please what she briefed did not go into detail on what those service are & what kind of priority do the hold. Plu these supplies the need if they would shop around the could get better deals. Get rid of unnecessary waste.
Learn to Read

Killeen, TX

#6 Aug 7, 2011
packisback wrote:
Research I did where do you think I got the info - my question is is it really necessary in our current economic situation. Can the City Mgr go without (she could review what services are really ned for the city at this time & please what she briefed did not go into detail on what those service are & what kind of priority do the hold. Plu these supplies the need if they would shop around the could get better deals. Get rid of unnecessary waste.
I have read most of your posts and you never have anything good to say about anything having to do with the city. The contractual services went up in the City Manager's budget because of planning services. The city does not have a planner and this is to pay for planning services. How do I know this? Because I DID read the budget on the website and it clearly says this in the budget. Are you seriously suggesting that the city NOT have planning services? I hope that is your ignorance talking and not what you really believe.
Coveite

Waco, TX

#7 Aug 7, 2011
LOL.
Another pitch for a city planner? Just what we need.
Learn to Read

Killeen, TX

#8 Aug 8, 2011
Coveite wrote:
LOL.
Another pitch for a city planner? Just what we need.
I'm not pitching anything. Pack was bitching about contractual services going up in the City Manager's budget, but was either purposely not stating all of the facts or didn't know all of the facts. Maybe didn't care about the facts, just wanted to bitch. I just pointed out that the budget does state that planning expenses were moved to the City Manager's budget. Of course you have to actually read the budget to find that out. Oh, and yes, I think ANY city does need planning services or a city planner.
packisback

Killeen, TX

#9 Aug 10, 2011
You've pointed out nothing. Go back & review all the budgets & see how they fluctuate from year to year. If she would stop micromanaging all they departments people would stay around longer.
Curious Minds

Killeen, TX

#10 Aug 10, 2011
packisback wrote:
You've pointed out nothing. Go back & review all the budgets & see how they fluctuate from year to year. If she would stop micromanaging all they departments people would stay around longer.
Could you please post some specific examples of this "micro-management" that you are talking about so all of us can be enlightened with your wisdom and vast knowledge of city operations?
In The Know

Killeen, TX

#11 Aug 11, 2011
Everyone wants to always blame the golf course for all our cities problems. Is was given 55,000 from the general fund last year and you complain. What about the 168,000 loss from the swimming pools last year are we going to sale them also ??

If the council was to put some money into the golf course it has the potential to make money but until you do that it will never get any better.

The city personnel that work at the golf course do a great job out there with the resourses they have and I applaud them for that.
Coveite wrote:
Good points all.
Retired 1SG

Belton, TX

#12 Aug 11, 2011
I wasn't aware the pools lost money, but they are only open from Memorial Day through Labor Day or some such schedule. The golf course is open year round and can never turn a profit. I'm not saying close it, but sell/lease it to someone who can run it for profit. That's the problem - we've been sinking money into it year after year and it never turns a profit.
In The Know

Killeen, TX

#13 Aug 11, 2011
I know it has lost money for years but you have to admitit is getting better each year we have to put less money into it. If we would just be willing to put some up front money into it it could turn a profit.

When it looks like it does now no one wants to come play it.
Retired 1SG wrote:
I wasn't aware the pools lost money, but they are only open from Memorial Day through Labor Day or some such schedule. The golf course is open year round and can never turn a profit. I'm not saying close it, but sell/lease it to someone who can run it for profit. That's the problem - we've been sinking money into it year after year and it never turns a profit.
Retired 1SG

Belton, TX

#14 Aug 11, 2011
I don't play golf. I have never cared for it. But I know many who are avid golfers. None of them like Cove's course. We keep sinking money into it - had to expand it to 18 holes, then clubhouse turnover repeatedly. Somewhere it has to end. I realize it can be a selling point if a business wants to relocate here, but when is that the last time that's happened? I know you can't keep raising green fees to turn a profit. If that happened it would be too expensive and nobody would play on it. Recommend, the, that tournaments be held on it a few times every year. but if this thing doesn't soon start not to be a drain of tax payers' money then sell it, lease it or downright close it. We can't keep throwing good money towards it all the time.
Kenn Smith

Waco, TX

#15 Aug 11, 2011
Retired 1SG wrote:
Toip, how could the city pools NOT lose money? The cost of chemicals runs around $17K per year, utilities are another $17 -$19K, then there is the cost of lifeguards, general maintenance and replacement of worn out or broken equipment. But the pools were never intended to be money makers; nor was anything else in the Parkss and Leisure Services area. They're simply quality of life items necessary to a growing city. The fact is that the General Fund subsidizes overall leisure activities for our residents to the tune of about $1M per year and that does not include the golf course. So you tell me - which of those activities should we lease out or abandon? The pools? The softball fields? The soccer fields? City Park? None of them will ever turn a profit either. If you measure everything by the profit making standard we can close the library, civic center and, oh yeah, the fire and police departments. Since fire and police expenditures comprise about 60% of the General Fund expenditures we could Really save a lot of money by eliminating them.

You can't look at anything in the city budget in isolation, you must look at the entire picture. The entiore picture includes what you see as the best interest of the city in the long run.
SYJIMO

Waco, TX

#16 Aug 11, 2011
Words of wisdom again from someone who has a house over-looking the golf course.We know where your loyalty lies,also when you categorize the golf course and fire dept.police dept.in the same classification as essential city services,you really show your intelligence.just like the cats in D.C.At some point you have to quit throwing good money after bad.
Kenn Smith

Waco, TX

#17 Aug 11, 2011
SYJIMO wrote:
Words of wisdom again from someone who has a house over-looking the golf course.We know where your loyalty lies,also when you categorize the golf course and fire dept.police dept.in the same classification as essential city services,you really show your intelligence.just like the cats in D.C.At some point you have to quit throwing good money after bad.
You totally missed my point; which was that there a lot of things paid for out of the genertal fund which don't make a profit. In fact, none of them do. There was a slight bit of sarcasm in my post about the fire and police departments, of course they are essential services but they, too, don't turn a profit which seems to be Top's first priority. Unfortunately I don't know of a sarcasm symbot to type in. I think that most readers, however, are smart enough to figure it out.

Do I own a house overlooking the golf course? Yes, I do; bought it 24 years ago when we first moved here. Do I apolgize for it? No. Does that mean that my first or only loyalty is to the golf course? No. As an elected official my first loyalty is to the best interest of the city as a whole - that and only that.
SYJIMO

Waco, TX

#18 Aug 11, 2011
Again your motives are misguided anyone with any common sense knows that keep throwing money (big money) down a rat hole for a select few is craze.Its not that I dont support golf I just think it needs to be contracted out. And again if anyone thinks it is a drawing card to bring people to move or locate in cove it is not in the top three.Schools,Poilce,Fire,and also taxes.And also it is not one of the nessary evils that has to be address as one of the city top officals said during a counsel meetings.
Retired 1SG

Belton, TX

#19 Aug 12, 2011
I agree you need a good Parks & Rec program for the city - mainly the kids. I don't know what the fee is now to enroll a kid in soccer, little league, etc., but was expensive enough when mine were playing and I imagine it's gone up considerably since then. Upkeep of the fields should pale in comparison of the costs for equipment, uniforms and cost of officials.
But this golf course is a big drain. All I'm suggesting is the city look at leasing it out to a company to operate it and perhaps take a % of any profits. If no profit, you still get the lease fee.
If that doesn't work, sell the thing and let someone operate it with either a profit or loss.
In The Know

Killeen, TX

#20 Aug 15, 2011
First off the golf course is for the kids also, our4 high school golf team has practice and tournaments at the golf course.

Secondly we have looked at contracting alot of areas out because of the cost to the city and this is not a good option as we would loose more money doing that than running it ourselves.

Waste management
Sewer and water
Compost

and the list goes on we just have to do the best with what we have. I am sure there is something in the city you use that you would not want to see go away? Lets just focus on taking care of the entire community as a whole.
Retired 1SG wrote:
I agree you need a good Parks & Rec program for the city - mainly the kids. I don't know what the fee is now to enroll a kid in soccer, little league, etc., but was expensive enough when mine were playing and I imagine it's gone up considerably since then. Upkeep of the fields should pale in comparison of the costs for equipment, uniforms and cost of officials.
But this golf course is a big drain. All I'm suggesting is the city look at leasing it out to a company to operate it and perhaps take a % of any profits. If no profit, you still get the lease fee.
If that doesn't work, sell the thing and let someone operate it with either a profit or loss.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Copperas Cove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Panhandlers at local stores (Jul '07) 2 hr proud killeenite 21
information 3 hr BIGDADDY 1
Vote-Vets says Stopping Trump's policies from b... (Nov '16) Wed SmokinJoe 3
Need a white hoodrat Apr 8 Iloveyourpinkpanties 1
Two white guys in search of ebony girl or asian... (Oct '12) Apr 8 Iloveyourpinkpanties 24
Hoodrat at the Dollar Tree (Apr '13) Mar 31 Bla 6
Review: Computer Repair Click A Nerd (Aug '15) Mar 27 LiftMasterKilleenTX 4

Copperas Cove Jobs

Personal Finance

Copperas Cove Mortgages