How 'Bout Them Dawgs!!!!!!!!!!!!

How 'Bout Them Dawgs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted in the Copperas Cove Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Retired 1SG

Uvalde, TX

#1 Sep 6, 2008
Blew Waco out of the Dawg Pound last night, 41-20.
This just might be Cove's best team ever.
long time fan

Desoto, TX

#2 Sep 6, 2008
Hey first sarge, how long have you followed Cove football?
wthomas

Harker Heights, TX

#3 Sep 6, 2008
Retired 1SG wrote:
Blew Waco out of the Dawg Pound last night, 41-20.
This just might be Cove's best team ever.
You could be right, Top. I said in an article in my online newspaper covenewsonline.org that this year we didn't have the individual talent that we had last year but we may in fact have a better team than either of the only two teams that went to state in Cove history. I may have been wrong about the over all talent, but I don't think so. This is a very talented team but their strength is not the basic talent its their heart and brotherhood. Our last two teams have been great and accomplished something for the books that had never been done in Dawg history. However, they had some personality issues. I don't believe this year's Dawg team does. They are indeed a very special team and have promise to be even better next year. I have only been a Cove resident for six years. While I did follow the Dawgs from afar like a high school fan in Texas follows the likes of Odessa P I did not follow every game and play until six years ago. However, one of the neat things about sports is that it is a subject of stats and record books. While the stat book may not tell all it tells enough to give a fair picture of the quality of a program. True a team that goes 7-3 and didn't make the playoffs may actually be a better team than a team that went 10-0 and two deep. Great teams get beat by good teams every Friday night in Texas. However, a program that consistantly makes the playoffs and a program that does not is a different situation. Consistantcy in winning and being competitive with the best in Texas is now Cove's creed in the Welch watch.
I still believe that the team to stop is Bryan not Temple. As I said on another blog and in my column, I believe Temple will losed at least one if not both of their opening games. Bryan is a war hoss. Pleast don't mistake my comments as being negative toward Temple. They are a good program and blessed with a great running back. However, I don't think they have a good shot at the district title. 1. Cove 2. Bryan 3. Toss up Ellison or Temple.
ArmySarge

UAE

#4 Sep 6, 2008
Are there any radio stations that Webcast the games live so I could listen to them when I get a chance over here?
Mopar340

Waco, TX

#5 Sep 7, 2008
ArmySarge wrote:
Are there any radio stations that Webcast the games live so I could listen to them when I get a chance over here?
Yes go to: www.KDHPressbox.com and you will have audio and webcast from where ever the DAWGS are playing
ArmySarge

UAE

#6 Sep 7, 2008
Mopar,

Thanks....'preciate it.

I do remember listening (in agony) over the webcast while the Dawgs gave the State Title away last year. Couldn't remember the link to the thing...guess I was suffering from P.T.D.L.S.
(Post Traumatic Dawgs Loss Syndrome)
Retired 1SG

Uvalde, TX

#7 Sep 7, 2008
long time fan wrote:
Hey first sarge, how long have you followed Cove football?
Since I first moved here in 1984.
Retired 1SG

Uvalde, TX

#8 Sep 7, 2008
Bill: Bryan does indeed look tough this year. They beat a good Leander team (ranked #25) last Friday night.
But I still think Temple is the one to worry about. That Seastrunk kid, if they give him the ball enough, will be hard to stop. I've heard the same ol', same ol' about Bryan before and we've taken care of business with them. I remember when Bryan was ranked #1 in the state, were 8-0 and flying high. Then they lost their next two games and didn't even make the playoffs!!
wthomas

Harker Heights, TX

#9 Sep 7, 2008
Retired 1SG wrote:
Bill: Bryan does indeed look tough this year. They beat a good Leander team (ranked #25) last Friday night.
But I still think Temple is the one to worry about. That Seastrunk kid, if they give him the ball enough, will be hard to stop. I've heard the same ol', same ol' about Bryan before and we've taken care of business with them. I remember when Bryan was ranked #1 in the state, were 8-0 and flying high. Then they lost their next two games and didn't even make the playoffs!!
Different coach. I don't question the fact that Temple is a good team this year. No doubt about their excellent running back. However young Mr. Seastrunk, like all quality running backs needs an offensive line. Temple's line is not bad but they are nothing to write home about. I made the prediction that Temple will lose at least one if not both of their opening games. They lost the first one and the Leander Lions are going to give them all they want next week. Go team? Yes sir they are. As good or better than Bryan? Could be but I'm not convinced. Don't think I'm a complete nut case here, but I'll be mildly suprised it they don't come in 4th in the district. Ellisson is a solid dark horse this year.
Bottom line is that when the Dawgs hit the playoff trail and they will, we will have been hardened by some very quality competition in and out of district play. Every team we face in pre-district is a returning playoff team from last year and two out of three will without a doubt be in the playoffs this year (I agree with you that Central probably won't make it due to their district change). When we hit district we'll face at least 3 out of five fine teams.
My good buddy Jim Copeland asked me after the Waco game, "Bill, did they make your grand son mad when they stripped that ball from him in the first quarter?" I spoke to Brandin yesterday and he's still upset about it. I told him that everybody always blames the guy that fumbled, but we tend to forget there are great athletes on both sides of the ball. The kid that stripped the ball from Mr. Byrd made as fine a defensive athetic play has you are likely to see this year.
THEMEANOGRE

Stephenville, TX

#10 Sep 7, 2008
I was at the game. I spoke with MY favorite Dawgs fan. We had a pleasant conversation. She was surprised that I'd heard her over all the noise.
I rather enjoyed the game because it wasn't a "blowout" final score. Being a 5A team in 4A really sucks for the fans who enjoy the test of the game.
wthomas

Harker Heights, TX

#11 Sep 7, 2008
THEMEANOGRE wrote:
I was at the game. I spoke with MY favorite Dawgs fan. We had a pleasant conversation. She was surprised that I'd heard her over all the noise.
I rather enjoyed the game because it wasn't a "blowout" final score. Being a 5A team in 4A really sucks for the fans who enjoy the test of the game.
Mean I have been a believer that there is a difference in all the classifications over all. Yes a team with more students to choose from will consistantly have better tallent across the board and defeat smaller schools. The top of the 4A class can consistantly compete with most of the 5A teams but again across the board the difference is undeniable.
The reason the teams are put into 5 different classes as to size and have beem for years is to put the games on an even field.
To call Waco a 4A school is technicly correct. However, Waco is a 4A school and was considered a very small 5A school for years strictly by the letter of the law here. These guys have an overall enrollment that defines them as a school much smaller than they are when it comes to the amount of athletes they have to choose from.
I a friend of mine comented once that, "If Jack Welch had the talent that Tuso has had for the last ten years Cove would have at least 8 state championships." The friend by the way played for Tuso and is currently a sports writer.
"How can you say that when they are smaller than Cove?" I asked.
"Check out their class population, Bill." was the reply.
I did. It seems that Waco's over all population was smaller than Cove's. However, the 5A school with the 5th highest drop out rate in the state, had almost twice the freshman class than Cove's. However, their senior class was less than 35% of Cove's. When the kids first come to Waco the represent a huge population compared to Cove's district. This is when the athletes are chosen. Massive cuts vs Jack's virtual no cut program see a lot of the young Lions fail to be allowed to play. Like the rest of the school few stay because few play. When they can legaly drop out they do.
Again, true technicaly that these guys are 4A, but not in the spirit that they don't have a lot more youngsters to pick and choose from than even most big 5A programs.
All of Cove's pre-district foes are from quality programs and are competitive. All saw playoff action last year. Sometimes a blowout is not the result of playing a weak team. Sometimes you're just that darn good.
Mopar340

Waco, TX

#12 Sep 8, 2008
I truly agree with you Bill. You are dead on it.
Retired 1SG

Uvalde, TX

#13 Sep 13, 2008
The Dawgs took care of business last night to the tune of 42-14.
Brandin Byrd had 277 yards rushing, Will Wright chipped in 89 on a mere 10 carries.
And look what Robert Griffin did when he QB'd Baylor against Wash St. last night!!
jim

Waco, TX

#14 Sep 13, 2008
A great night for the Dawgs and an ex Dawg. Should be an interesting season for both teams.
wthomas

Harker Heights, TX

#15 Sep 13, 2008
Retired 1SG wrote:
The Dawgs took care of business last night to the tune of 42-14.
Brandin Byrd had 277 yards rushing, Will Wright chipped in 89 on a mere 10 carries.
And look what Robert Griffin did when he QB'd Baylor against Wash St. last night!!
I'll have my story posted in the morning some time. In the press box when Brandin Byrd put a pass rusher on the deck one of the Dallas reporters asked me. "Is there anything that kid can't do?" I said, "Don't know. We haven't found anything yer but if we do you'll be the first to know." By the way, "How bout dem Wildcats?" Just kidding. I still think Temple is a good team they are just not what the world thought they were pre-season. No question about that running back but he has support problems. I have a lunch bet going with a buddy of mine at the Telegram regarding the district rushing title this year. So far Brandin's put me in pretty fair shape on a bet my Temple buddy thought was a sure thing. Go Dawgs and let us all pray for the folks on the coast.
THEMEANOGRE

Killeen, TX

#16 Sep 15, 2008
Bill, what I meant about being a 5A team in 4A was reference to last season.
But, instead of basing the teams division on the school's size perhaps it should be done by scouts watching preseason practice. I think it would be a more equitable system. I thought last season was terrible. It wasn't really the contest that one would expect. At times I thought I was watching the Cowboys trying to play the 18th Security Police Squadron from 1982.
wthomas

Harker Heights, TX

#17 Sep 15, 2008
THEMEANOGRE wrote:
Bill, what I meant about being a 5A team in 4A was reference to last season.
But, instead of basing the teams division on the school's size perhaps it should be done by scouts watching preseason practice. I think it would be a more equitable system. I thought last season was terrible. It wasn't really the contest that one would expect. At times I thought I was watching the Cowboys trying to play the 18th Security Police Squadron from 1982.
I understand what you are saying Mean, but don't totally agree that last year was terrible. We had some good games as well as some blowouts. Unfortunately, I think the opinion of scouts would be even more suspect than the current system. It would also be costly. The problem is that we can't regulate the fairness of one team having superior coaching. There are miles difference between a football coach and a program builder like Jack. Read my sports article covenewsonline.org sports tab.
geewiz

Waco, TX

#18 Sep 21, 2008
Thomas: I know you go to the various ball games. Get in free, sit in the press box and eat the free food and supposively write a sports column. The question I have is . Since you got kicked out at the Leader Press in what newspaper do your articles appear in? Have not seen them in any of the area papers.
THEMEANOGRE

Killeen, TX

#19 Sep 21, 2008
I agree that last season we had a superlative team. My problem with the action last year, and there is no way to say it without being insulting, although no offense is intended, it seemed as though most of the teams we played, we probably shouldn't have. At least not with the starting line up.
The biggest disappointment, for me and hopefully most of our players, was that there just didn't seem to be much of a test for the team. I sort of went to the games hoping to see something akin to a "final exam" and was treated to a "pop quiz".
wthomas

Harker Heights, TX

#20 Sep 21, 2008
geewiz wrote:
Thomas: I know you go to the various ball games. Get in free, sit in the press box and eat the free food and supposively write a sports column. The question I have is . Since you got kicked out at the Leader Press in what newspaper do your articles appear in? Have not seen them in any of the area papers.
Why do you tell an out and out lie like "Since you got kicked out of the Leader Press." That sir is wishful thinking on the part of small narrow minded people who can't challange their oponents in an argument with the truth. I quit the Liberal Press on the 7th of March 2008 when Larry Hauk printed a lie about me and challange the integrity of myself and Doyle Welch. He had no reason other than personal political agenda to do so. I was called more than once that same day and asked to reconsider quitting. After I recover from my upcoming surgery and get a court date this will be my testimony as well as others in a court of law. That is under oath and with my own name. I have adressed this transparent assumtion before. I challange anyone to stand up and say that I was kicked our or fired by the Liberal-Press. If Hauk has the guts to tell that lie in public I can assure you he will answer to the out and out lie in court. Care to stand up like a man and make that statement.
Sorry to take off on you on this one but please don't embarrass yourself by suggesting that I take financial advantage of the Dawgs because I get a free press pass. I can absolutely assure you that the Thomas' spend their share on the Dawgs and our CCISD kids. Last year Thomas Publishing spent $250 for a True Blue Level of membership with the Quarterback Club. I will do that again and frankly I will probably not attend any meetings.
I now have a local online paper and it covers the Dawgs. I am blessed with quite a few folks locally that read the Cove News for the sports and it makes the paper helps when I email it to various colleges to help in our college pacement efforts for the kids.
When you attack someone for their beliefs because you disagree with them you are exercising your right as an American and agree or disagree I'll back you up, even if the disagreement is with me. However, when you make up a bald face lie just because you don't like someone thats a different matter. Not only is saying I was fired or kicked out of the Liberal Press a lie, its a lie that has come up before and has been proven wrong before. Disagree with me all you want but stop the out and out lies. That's not right and frankly its not even legal and it shouldn't be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Copperas Cove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trash/Brush Collection (May '13) 20 hr Rich 19
Post Office Copperas Cove (Sep '10) 20 hr Rich 22
News Former Daingerfield man writes book about 1980 ... (Dec '09) Aug 13 Willie Granville 8
Cove Ford closed. (Sep '09) Aug 9 kenneth nation 58
Adios Casa Ole (Jul '13) Jul 28 Shawn W 19
searching Jul 27 shad 1
Jonathan rhen kitten (Oct '16) Jul 26 Opinion 3

Copperas Cove Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Copperas Cove Mortgages