Drivers don't need 22 miles' worth of warning

There are 20 comments on the May 29, 2009, The Morning Call story titled Drivers don't need 22 miles' worth of warning. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Ill-placed highway advisories, a reader says, cause backups and may be a safety hazard.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 07

Allentown, PA

#1 May 29, 2009
Regarding that HAR sign and trouble Westbound at 737: The best spot for that sign would be one mile east of the 309 interchange.

That way people who were planning to take 737 south, or 78 west towards Harrisburg could instead take 309 S to 222 S and avoid the backup.

You'd want another sign about 1 mile east of the Rt. 100 interchange so traffic heading north on 737 could instead take Rt. 100 N and then Rt. 309 N to avoid trouble.
mac 8

Emmaus, PA

#2 May 29, 2009
I'll tell you what we don't need, RT 222 (phony) by-pass around the Upper Macungie area. What by-pass where you ever on that has a 45 mph speed limit, traffic sgnals and the entrance coming from south to north from Reading to RT100 south is a donkey path. Penn Dot always was an always be a joke, they can't even plow and keep I-78 open !!! Remember it's your money.
TheBeav

Allentown, PA

#4 May 29, 2009
When you have a combination of Penn DOT's incompetent management of our roads along with stupid drivers, its no wonder Rt 22 is such a mess.
Penn Dont

Shenandoah, PA

#5 May 29, 2009
Come on give PennDon't a break, at least they are consistent, their use of the signs mirrors the roadwork they do, incompetent.
Berks_Iraq_Vet

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#6 May 29, 2009
I want as much warning as possible so I have alternate route options.
Rowan

Allentown, PA

#7 May 29, 2009
Berks_Iraq_Vet wrote:
I want as much warning as possible so I have alternate route options.
I agree with the VET. How quickly people forget the ice storm on Valentine's Day the other year. There were NO warnings, NADA. This is PennDot's reaction. So, no signs - people bitch, signage that gives you plenty of time to make a decision - people bitch. No one will ever be happy.

Oh, and for the 'Bypass'- what is with the 45 mph Enforcers driving in the left lane? Get over already. I'll take my chances with the ticket thank-you - I don't need you slowing me down and waving your finger at me because I want to actually drive my car, not putz along in it.
Ollie North

Scranton, PA

#8 May 29, 2009
Ron Young is the usual fountain of misinformation!
FrankL

Saint Paul, MN

#9 May 29, 2009
Why is this PennDOT's fault? Sounds like the problem was caused by the moronic mouth breathers who can't read a simple sentence without slowing down. Other parts of the country seem to handle electronic signs just fine.
preacha

East Stroudsburg, PA

#10 May 29, 2009
Half of the drivers had to slow down, waiting for the spanish version to appear.
Wayne

Slatington, PA

#11 May 29, 2009
Yeah, they try sooooooo hard to avoid conflicts--must be such a job--BULL!

Anyone else remember when they had all three major arteries north of Allentown screwed up at the same time--15th st, 7th st & airport road???
Richard Cranium

Allentown, PA

#12 May 29, 2009
preacha wrote:
Half of the drivers had to slow down, waiting for the spanish version to appear.
lol
bobby g

Macungie, PA

#13 May 29, 2009
I don't think it's the distance, I think it's the font size and info overload. If they would double the font size and flash between 2 messages (the road closed message followed by the tune in message) and make the message economical (33 closed N of 248) people could process the info without coming to a halt.
Currently, you can't read the sign until you're pretty close to it, and if it's saying something you know it's important, so you slow down.
obvious

Macungie, PA

#14 May 29, 2009
mac 8 wrote:
I'll tell you what we don't need, RT 222 (phony) by-pass around the Upper Macungie area. What by-pass where you ever on that has a 45 mph speed limit, traffic sgnals and the entrance coming from south to north from Reading to RT100 south is a donkey path. Penn Dot always was an always be a joke, they can't even plow and keep I-78 open !!! Remember it's your money.
you, sir (or maam), are an idiot

you ever try getting from breinigsville to rt. 309 during rush hour before the bypass?
a half-hour, 45-minute commute.

the "by-pass" doesn't meet my strict definititions of a bypass either, but it'd done it's job. even with the 45 mph limit and the traffic lights, it's 10, 15 minutes tops through that same area.

i agree, speed iimit should be 55 from turnpike bridge to the western end of the road, but at least i can get where i'm going now without sitting.
and it's the same if i have to stay on rt 222 to go to one of shopping areas along that stretch.

if you want freeways everywhere, head to Los Angeles. say hi to the crips for me.
Sound Reasoning

Allentown, PA

#15 May 29, 2009
bobby g wrote:
I don't think it's the distance, I think it's the font size and info overload.
I agree about the info overload. Something simply like:

Rt 33 BAD
Rt 191 GOOD

Would have conveyed the intent in a way that even someone doing 55.1 MPH could read it.
Kidding Me

Allentown, PA

#16 May 29, 2009
what is the problem with slowing down for a warning sign. Stupid inconvenience.

Take your foot off the gas pedal and slow down to the speed limit and you won't have to worry about slowing down.
Still Working

Harrisburg, PA

#17 May 29, 2009
I was traveling at the same time as Jim. The warning sign was before the Fullerton Ave. Exit. Unfortunately it was placed behind a BIG green directional sign. We had to come to almost a stop because you could only read it when you were on top of it.
David

Allentown, PA

#18 May 29, 2009
Good post. Too bad you won't see it on a sign.
Kidding Me wrote:
what is the problem with slowing down for a warning sign. Stupid inconvenience.
Take your foot off the gas pedal and slow down to the speed limit and you won't have to worry about slowing down.
Pillows

New York, NY

#19 May 29, 2009
Where is Pillows the space clown?
ddd

Allentown, PA

#20 May 29, 2009
FrankL wrote:
Why is this PennDOT's fault? Sounds like the problem was caused by the moronic mouth breathers who can't read a simple sentence without slowing down. Other parts of the country seem to handle electronic signs just fine.
Or they are too busy texting to notice the sign until they are on top of it and then slam the skids to see what it say's!
German American

Nanticoke, PA

#21 May 29, 2009
I have a bigger dispute with the practice of forcing traffic down to one lane miles upon miles before the actual tiny area of construction. 9 times out of ten nobody's working when you finally arrive at the construction area.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coplay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min sonicfilter 1,220,911
Allentown man hits victim's spine in stabbing, ... 6 hr silly rabbit 1
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 12 hr Junket 309,690
Parolee beats, robs fellow parolee in Allentown... Sat silly rabbit 1
Synthetic weed users flooding into Pennsylvania... Apr 25 silly rabbit 1
May 19 City Council Election Apr 23 LRRP 1
Allentown shooting victim drives himself to hos... Apr 23 silly rabbit 1
More from around the web

Coplay People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE