Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.
#41 Jul 9, 2009
Well if you go back to any articles in mcall concenring education, I have been on for weeks. Where are the rest of you? Oh don't tell me- in your lavish condos by the sea getting a massage and drinking Tangary and Tonic.
The reality is you are probably working your second jobs to make ends meet so BarKeep the engineer can charge the district for engineering fees on new buildings for districts.
BarKeep also complained about his student loans and he could not get a new car. Tell us about it. We or should I say I have been living this for 40 years while I was in education.
#42 Jul 11, 2009
My brother taught for several years.
I know what the hours are.
I know it can s*ck.
It is also intensely rewarding, too, or you wouldn't do it at all.
I think that for 9.5 months of the year, you can hack it.
You're in good shape; congrats on your contract accomplishments, you won, so, would you please stop demanding more and more and more?
1. Eye care
2. Dental, with low co-pay
3. Coverage for braces
4. Excellent health coverage
5. Low/no contribution to the costs
6. Defined benefit pensions
7. Vacation time unrivaled around the world, even in France; min 3.5 MONTHS off/year
8. Scholarships for your children to college which are unavailable to anyone but a teacher
9. Favorable rates via your credit union
10. Can't be fired if you doing an average job
11. Can't be fired without due process of some kind
12. Can't be berated by your boss for, if you are, you can complain to the union, which will somehow punish her/him for you
13. If you did complain, and there was retaliation, then the union again would really push
14. If you were fired on a Monday for no reason, you'd be reinstated, with pay, by the following Monday
15. You know what your raise is next year
So, you SHOULD sleep really well at night. If you don't, it isn't because of your job. Consider yourself lucky.
#43 Jul 11, 2009
BTW, I think all teachers should have basically the same benefit as Teach for America participants, especially the student loan forgiveness.
And, if you are a teacher in a dangerous district, your min pay should be double anyone in a safe district.
#44 Jul 11, 2009
1. Eye care-- Not in mine
2. Dental, with low co-pay- YES
3. Coverage for braces--not in mine
4. Excellent health coverage- YES
5. Low/no contribution to the costs-??? of what
6. Defined benefit pensions- YES
7. Vacation time unrivaled around the world, even in France; min 3.5 MONTHS off/year- YES
8. Scholarships for your children to college which are unavailable to anyone but a teacher- Not in mine
9. Favorable rates via your credit union-not in mione
10. Can't be fired if you doing an average job- Define average job
11. Can't be fired without due process of some kind- Neither can you
12. Can't be berated by your boss for, if you are, you can complain to the union, which will somehow punish her/him for you- not always only if unwarranted or kisunderstood.
13. If you did complain, and there was retaliation, then the union again would really push- same as last one
14. If you were fired on a Monday for no reason, you'd be reinstated, with pay, by the following Monday- until proven innocent or guilty
15. You know what your raise is next year YES
This is not always the same in all situations. By the way, I had a waitress at City View that was average. I want her fired. What is an average worker.
#45 Jul 11, 2009
Storm, we get it. You are envious of the benefits we have fought for for decades. BTW, the "lavish" benefits you mention are only 3/5 correct. Do not get me wrong. I am very happy to have the benefits we have. As a union, we fight to KEEP these benefits, not bolster huge increases across the board. Problem is, you let the board take away or minimize one benefit and you will NEVER get it back. If you had the option to vote yes or no to a raise, tell me you wouldn't? Or are you more concerned about your school district taxes than your own personal well-being and that of your family. If the shoe were on the other foot, you would fight to keep your benefits and salary to feed your family.
#46 Jul 12, 2009
I am not quite sure you read my post. It is in response to Sam who listed these benefits and I was trying to show him that I do not have all the benefits and I indicate this with a Yes No or some minor comment.
If you have been on these posts I am not attacking the teachers by any means.
#47 Jul 12, 2009
Sorry, Storm! I meant to address it to Sam! My bad!
Add your comments below
|Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08)||1 min||sonicfilter||1,566,723|
|Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08)||12 min||ThomasA||315,309|
|Mayor of Allentown, Pennsylvania, under federal...||5 hr||weaponX||1|
|Allentown Mayor Ed Pawlowski charged in politic...||15 hr||weaponX||1|
|Get furnace checked or face a fine (Nov '14)||20 hr||weaponX||145|
|The Machine, Pink Floyd tribute, coming to Alle...||Mon||weaponX||1|
|Man exposes himself near agency for abused chil...||Mon||weaponX||2|
Find what you want!
Search Coplay Forum Now
Copyright © 2017 Topix LLC