Whitehall OKs tax hike in school budget

Whitehall OKs tax hike in school budget

There are 47 comments on the The Morning Call story from Jun 27, 2009, titled Whitehall OKs tax hike in school budget. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Property owners who live in the Whitehall - Coplay School District can expect a 1.87-mill tax hike under the 2009-10 budget approved Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Storm

Catasauqua, PA

#41 Jul 9, 2009
Pro teacher:

Well if you go back to any articles in mcall concenring education, I have been on for weeks. Where are the rest of you? Oh don't tell me- in your lavish condos by the sea getting a massage and drinking Tangary and Tonic.

The reality is you are probably working your second jobs to make ends meet so BarKeep the engineer can charge the district for engineering fees on new buildings for districts.

BarKeep also complained about his student loans and he could not get a new car. Tell us about it. We or should I say I have been living this for 40 years while I was in education.
Sam

Emmaus, PA

#42 Jul 11, 2009
My brother taught for several years.

I know what the hours are.

I know it can s*ck.

It is also intensely rewarding, too, or you wouldn't do it at all.

I think that for 9.5 months of the year, you can hack it.

You're in good shape; congrats on your contract accomplishments, you won, so, would you please stop demanding more and more and more?

Lavish:
1. Eye care
2. Dental, with low co-pay
3. Coverage for braces
4. Excellent health coverage
5. Low/no contribution to the costs
6. Defined benefit pensions
7. Vacation time unrivaled around the world, even in France; min 3.5 MONTHS off/year
8. Scholarships for your children to college which are unavailable to anyone but a teacher
9. Favorable rates via your credit union
10. Can't be fired if you doing an average job
11. Can't be fired without due process of some kind
12. Can't be berated by your boss for, if you are, you can complain to the union, which will somehow punish her/him for you
13. If you did complain, and there was retaliation, then the union again would really push
14. If you were fired on a Monday for no reason, you'd be reinstated, with pay, by the following Monday
15. You know what your raise is next year

So, you SHOULD sleep really well at night. If you don't, it isn't because of your job. Consider yourself lucky.
Sam

Emmaus, PA

#43 Jul 11, 2009
BTW, I think all teachers should have basically the same benefit as Teach for America participants, especially the student loan forgiveness.

And, if you are a teacher in a dangerous district, your min pay should be double anyone in a safe district.
Storm

Catasauqua, PA

#44 Jul 11, 2009
1. Eye care-- Not in mine
2. Dental, with low co-pay- YES
3. Coverage for braces--not in mine
4. Excellent health coverage- YES
5. Low/no contribution to the costs-??? of what
6. Defined benefit pensions- YES
7. Vacation time unrivaled around the world, even in France; min 3.5 MONTHS off/year- YES
8. Scholarships for your children to college which are unavailable to anyone but a teacher- Not in mine
9. Favorable rates via your credit union-not in mione
10. Can't be fired if you doing an average job- Define average job
11. Can't be fired without due process of some kind- Neither can you
12. Can't be berated by your boss for, if you are, you can complain to the union, which will somehow punish her/him for you- not always only if unwarranted or kisunderstood.
13. If you did complain, and there was retaliation, then the union again would really push- same as last one
14. If you were fired on a Monday for no reason, you'd be reinstated, with pay, by the following Monday- until proven innocent or guilty
15. You know what your raise is next year YES

This is not always the same in all situations. By the way, I had a waitress at City View that was average. I want her fired. What is an average worker.
Pro teacher

Easton, PA

#45 Jul 11, 2009
Storm, we get it. You are envious of the benefits we have fought for for decades. BTW, the "lavish" benefits you mention are only 3/5 correct. Do not get me wrong. I am very happy to have the benefits we have. As a union, we fight to KEEP these benefits, not bolster huge increases across the board. Problem is, you let the board take away or minimize one benefit and you will NEVER get it back. If you had the option to vote yes or no to a raise, tell me you wouldn't? Or are you more concerned about your school district taxes than your own personal well-being and that of your family. If the shoe were on the other foot, you would fight to keep your benefits and salary to feed your family.
Storm

Catasauqua, PA

#46 Jul 12, 2009
Pro teacher:

I am not quite sure you read my post. It is in response to Sam who listed these benefits and I was trying to show him that I do not have all the benefits and I indicate this with a Yes No or some minor comment.

If you have been on these posts I am not attacking the teachers by any means.
Pro teacher

Easton, PA

#47 Jul 12, 2009
Sorry, Storm! I meant to address it to Sam! My bad!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coplay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min sonicfilter 1,566,723
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 12 min ThomasA 315,309
News Mayor of Allentown, Pennsylvania, under federal... 5 hr weaponX 1
News Allentown Mayor Ed Pawlowski charged in politic... 15 hr weaponX 1
News Get furnace checked or face a fine (Nov '14) 20 hr weaponX 145
News The Machine, Pink Floyd tribute, coming to Alle... Mon weaponX 1
News Man exposes himself near agency for abused chil... Mon weaponX 2

Coplay Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance