A pinch on school busing

There are 33 comments on the The Morning Call story from Aug 14, 2008, titled A pinch on school busing. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Students in the Pennridge School District will find fewer buses to take them home from after-school activities in September.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
yoooooooo

Dallas, PA

#21 Aug 14, 2008
ken wrote:
After school activities are one of the best things for these kids to be doing along with sports. It keeps them active,out of trouble and builds leadership along with self asteem. If they have to raise my taxes by a percent in order to keep the buses running and the kids active then do so. I would rather pay for a fuel surcharge with my taxes then another teacher pay raise. The head coaches are the only ones who get extra pay and it is nominal compared to the hours that are put in. Look at the big picture and stop crying about rich parents or soccer mom's .
Bunch of cry babies!
The head coaches are the only ones who get extra pay REALLY? NO ONE is working a sport event for FREE. Read your school board minutes and you will find names, positions, and rate of pay! Score keepers, ticket takers, etc. are ALL PAID. The only person NOT being paid is the JOCK.
bus driver

Philadelphia, PA

#22 Aug 14, 2008
There are a couple of issues, 1st one is the votec thing, duh!! those buses were not even 1/2 filled. That was a good move. 2nd is the idle thing, you tell me when its winter and about 40 some degrees that i cant idle my bus for heat? Do you expect me to frezze? You want your kids to get in a warm bus right or do you want johnny and suzzy to frezze on the way to and from school? thats the only way the busses stay warm if its still running. it takes some busses 20min to 1/2 hour to heat the whole bus. other busses are w/in 15 min. it depends if you are running an older bus. the fuel cost rise with the way you drive the bus not just idleing, if you are on the gas alot or braking at every little turn you use more gas,(desiel). and as far as sports are concered i went to a private school where my parents had to not only pay for school tax, but the fee every month to send me to a private school, plus the fact when i wanted to do any sport there was no bussing, my parents had to pick me up from all my practices and paid extra for the sport. the only bussing avlb was for away games.
wondering

Bethlehem, PA

#23 Aug 14, 2008
mike wrote:
<quoted text>you should drive a bus and you will feel what it's like with out heat, some buses take over 15 min. to heat up. and that is driving them, yes i drive a school bus.
Put on an extra sweater. I don't put the heater on in my car.
css66

Allentown, PA

#24 Aug 14, 2008
I drove my 2 children to school every morning... AND picked them up every day after school.(They were in the Allentown School District from K-7th grade when we moved to Whitehall. Allentown does not provide bussing.)

I did not mind one bit. I did however see countless young kids, i mean 1st graders, walking to school alone or with another 1st grader. The parents cant even get thier lazy behinds out of bed to take them.... I knew for a fact some of these parents did not work.
I worked nights... and no matter how late i got home... my kids were only late one time.(i blamed the alarm clock,lol)

As far as after school activities.... they are not requirements... therefore it is NOT really the school's responsibility to provide transportation.
Perhaps set up a carpool with other parents.
And please.. to the single parents... booo hoooo. My husband and i work opposite shifts for the last 14 yrs and we both joke how we are like 'single parents'. Yet we manage to get our kids back and forth.

If there is a will there is away.

“What goes around, comes around”

Since: Aug 08

Bethlehem, PA

#25 Aug 15, 2008
Another POV wrote:
I have no experience with busing since as a kid I always walked to school, and my wife and I or a family member always drove our kids to school. Can someone enlighten me as to the logic of standing with your kid waiting for the school bus rather than driving them yourself? Help me out here - I don't get it.
By using school-provided transportation there will be energy savings, less congestion at/near schools, less stress, and the benefit of interacting with others would be realized.

For my tax dollars, I think it'd be wiser to have one bus transport (approx.) 55 students to school as opposed to, let's say, 45 cars/trucks/mini-vans/SUVs delivering kids to school followed by a bus with 10 students aboard.

Can you tell me the logic behind driving your kid(s) to school rather than making use of your and my tax-provided transportation?
True conservative

Easton, PA

#26 Aug 15, 2008
Being taxed to educate the community is money well invested. I just wonder why so many parents do not take personal responsibility for the development of their own kids. Maybe they should pay a 20 dollar ,or so, fee to join a sport in order to help with transportation. Even if a family is low income I'm sure that a kid could mow a couple of lawns or something to find the means to play. This would also promote personal responsiblity. Most departments that are ran by government usually find reasons to spend money so that they can receive the same amount next year. As for the gas prices you can thank the Federal Reserve for printing more money by dropping the interest rates so that people don't lose houses that they bought with adjustable rates. The more money in circulation the less value it has, the more money you will need to buy a gallon of gas.
Joe

AOL

#27 Aug 18, 2008
ken wrote:
After school activities are one of the best things for these kids to be doing along with sports. It keeps them active,out of trouble and builds leadership along with self esteem. If they have to raise my taxes by a percent in order to keep the buses running and the kids active then do so. I would rather pay for a fuel surcharge with my taxes then another teacher pay raise. The head coaches are the only ones who get extra pay and it is nominal compared to the hours that are put in. Look at the big picture and stop crying about rich parents or soccer mom's .
Bunch of cry babies!
AMEN!!!!! I agree 100% there are many ways we waste tax dollars in the distrct. Buses are the least of our worries, Sure gas is more than a few years ago but think about all that is here today that we did not need years ago, computers for one, yes we need them but do they need flat screens, lap tops, update every couple years, do teachers need their own?? how bout those photography labs or the art studios,jewlery making tools, now there is an area they could have saved money. I am not saying none of these classes are needed but do they need the "best" of the "best" tools to work with. In todays world after school activities keep kids busy, out of trouble, safe, healthier, we live in a coach potato world and I too am more than willing to pay a surcharge for gas. Oh bt the way I too drive a bus and I am thankful for my job, my bus gets turned off while loading children. But here is a thought, alot of high school-ers waste "bus gas" by not riding all the time,)although all grade due to parents driving the kids) you can not eliminate their stops because maybe one day they need a ride, that is bull, you should sign up for transportation or not. How do you change that one?? They drive their cars to school and their reserved seat goes empty, but as a driver you still have to go to their stop just in case. There is wasted fuel
True conservative

Easton, PA

#28 Aug 21, 2008
20 dollars to play, old people on fixed incomes have a hard enough time paying school taxes as it is.
Gary

Schnecksville, PA

#29 Aug 21, 2008
CONFUSED wrote:
hello i am a single mother my son need to get home safe . what will happen now ? active or home alone . wow the sign of the times choices seem to be getting harder for him. a child should have the right to play football after school where is that babysitting . that is the game
Make arrangements to get him home. It's really not my problem.
Claire

Harrisburg, PA

#30 Aug 21, 2008
The roads and highways are so jam-packed with parents driving their kids to school or kids taking their own vehicles, yet, I'm sure parents will be screaming over this. Most parents don't want to let their kids ride the bus for fear of what they might have to experience, yet, they seem to forget these are the same kids their kids are in school with all day. Same goes for the ones who drive.
Gary

Schnecksville, PA

#31 Aug 21, 2008
True conservative wrote:
Being taxed to educate the community is money well invested. I just wonder why so many parents do not take personal responsibility for the development of their own kids. Maybe they should pay a 20 dollar ,or so, fee to join a sport in order to help with transportation. Even if a family is low income I'm sure that a kid could mow a couple of lawns or something to find the means to play. This would also promote personal responsiblity. Most departments that are ran by government usually find reasons to spend money so that they can receive the same amount next year. As for the gas prices you can thank the Federal Reserve for printing more money by dropping the interest rates so that people don't lose houses that they bought with adjustable rates. The more money in circulation the less value it has, the more money you will need to buy a gallon of gas.
There's almost to much truth here to ingest at one time.
Gary

Schnecksville, PA

#32 Aug 21, 2008
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Put on an extra sweater. I don't put the heater on in my car.
Why not? Heat is free, just a byproduct of running an engine.
Air conditioning, however is another story.
wondering

Allentown, PA

#33 Sep 26, 2008
Gary wrote:
<quoted text>Why not? Heat is free, just a byproduct of running an engine.
Air conditioning, however is another story.
Heat may be free if your actually driving the car, but sitting and letting it idle in place is just waste.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coplay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min RoxLo 1,232,609
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr I Am No One_ 309,866
Allentown bank robber getaway driver in dark ab... 11 hr poke chop 9
Whitehall neighbors want the volume turned down... 14 hr silly rabbit 4
Violent day in Allentown with possibly two shoo... 14 hr silly rabbit 5
Joyce Marin: Preserving region's farmland more ... Sat silly rabbit 1
News The 10 commandments of cancer prevention (May '09) Fri usherhollens 17
More from around the web

Coplay People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE