A pinch on school busing

Students in the Pennridge School District will find fewer buses to take them home from after-school activities in September. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
yoooooooo

Dallas, PA

#1 Aug 14, 2008
Let the jocks jog to a neiighboring school.
Mary

AOL

#2 Aug 14, 2008
yoooooooo wrote:
Let the jocks jog to a neiighboring school.
stupid is as stupid does, why do people like yoooooooo even bother to comment??
Joey D

Bangor, PA

#3 Aug 14, 2008
I think some children that live close to the school should walk especially with the overwght problem today..
One concern is of course the increase of traffic on the once quiet roads. No one wants children to be on them..
Maybe a bus ticket to purchase? That would pay for the fuel? This is a tough one..
justme

Allentown, PA

#4 Aug 14, 2008
I was in band,track and the field hockey team, The only reason I was able to participate was because of the busing for after school activities. Both my parents were working so without this system I wouldn't have been able to. I think that there are many kids that will be unable to do extracuricular due to lack of transportation to/from activitles therefore leading to "problems" caused by bored teens.
BID

Bethlehem, PA

#5 Aug 14, 2008
justme wrote:
I was in band,track and the field hockey team, The only reason I was able to participate was because of the busing for after school activities. Both my parents were working so without this system I wouldn't have been able to. I think that there are many kids that will be unable to do extracuricular due to lack of transportation to/from activitles therefore leading to "problems" caused by bored teens.
I understand what you are saying, but in the same manner, why should our education system be the babysitter for working parents ? Sports activities are privledges not requirements. Perhaps a fee should be charged for the bus runs that are related to after school sports/clubs. Some parents can certainly stop by to pick the kids up after they get off of work, or carpooling the kids in the neighborhood. It's never going to please everyone though.
Allentown Joe

Emmaus, PA

#6 Aug 14, 2008
Just like all-day kindergarten, this is just subsidized babbysitting and transportation. If two parents choose to work so they can maintain their McMansion, then they should pay for these extra services.
wondering

Bethlehem, PA

#7 Aug 14, 2008
Sometimes I would have to pick up children from school in years past. As I waited for them the school bus would also pull in 10 -15 minutes ahead of time and keep the bus running the entire time. Wouldn't it save fuel to shut it off or is there a reason for that?
mike

Bethlehem, PA

#8 Aug 14, 2008
wondering wrote:
Sometimes I would have to pick up children from school in years past. As I waited for them the school bus would also pull in 10 -15 minutes ahead of time and keep the bus running the entire time. Wouldn't it save fuel to shut it off or is there a reason for that?
you should drive a bus and you will feel what it's like with out heat, some buses take over 15 min. to heat up. and that is driving them, yes i drive a school bus.
yoooooooo

Dallas, PA

#9 Aug 14, 2008
Mary wrote:
<quoted text>
stupid is as stupid does, why do people like yoooooooo even bother to comment??
BECAUSE I pay for the gas to bus YOUR child MILES to bounce a ball off her head. At 3:15 GO HOME, the educational day is over for children AND staff that earn extra tax dollars bouncing ball off heads.

Since: Mar 07

Bethlehem, PA

#10 Aug 14, 2008
Allentown Joe wrote:
Just like all-day kindergarten, this is just subsidized babbysitting and transportation. If two parents choose to work so they can maintain their McMansion, then they should pay for these extra services.
Most two-income families are working just to keep a plain old roof over their heads, food on their table, and to afford to educate their kids.
CONFUSED

United States

#11 Aug 14, 2008
hello i am a single mother my son need to get home safe . what will happen now ? active or home alone . wow the sign of the times choices seem to be getting harder for him. a child should have the right to play football after school where is that babysitting . that is the game
emjoy

Harrisburg, PA

#12 Aug 14, 2008
Allentown Joe wrote:
How about if one single professional parent chooses to work so she can feed and shelter her child? Schools are not babysitting services. Anyone who thinks they are has been drastically misusing the privelege. Students need education in a large variety of fields, including sports and other extra-curricular activities, and they need parents with incomes to support them, too. Two hour kindergarten is babysitting. All day kindergarten actually has a chance of teaching the children a little something. My son went from all-day daycare to half-day kindergarten, and was outraged at what he missed. Daycare had music and gymnastics and basketball and more. Kindergarten had story time and a few short lessons in stuff he learned in daycare, and then it was over. Kids like to learn. Parents are the problem. The price of gas is a whole different discussion.
Blah

Schnecksville, PA

#13 Aug 14, 2008
CONFUSED wrote:
hello i am a single mother my son need to get home safe . what will happen now ? active or home alone . wow the sign of the times choices seem to be getting harder for him. a child should have the right to play football after school where is that babysitting . that is the game
Wow, it is the sign of the times. I see you are a champion of self entitlement.

SPORTS IS NOT A RIGHT. It is a privilage. Sports as a whole has been put upon the highest pedestal. Education has been pushed somewhere down the middle.

Tax dollars are being spent by the millions for the soccer fields, football fields, baseball fields etc.....just so some shmuck of a principal can say he has a state championship. Sports is not fun; it is an obsession. Moreso for the parents it seems.

Schools are being used as babysitting services and it's being grossly neglected.

Back to the problem at hand? There seems to be quite an abundance of stay at home, minivan driving soccer moms. I say they can put their resources together and car pool. Maybe, pool their money together and charter some vans. If they want their kids to play sports, pay for it out of your own pocket.

While I agree that sports has it's place; It's not the #1 priority of a school system. Education should be and parents should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for thinking otherwise. School boards should be flamed for allowing sports to become an obsession.

It's not up to the rest of us to watch and babysit kids. That is a parents' job and it's time for that responsibility to return to the roots.
yoooooooo

Dallas, PA

#14 Aug 14, 2008
Blah wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, it is the sign of the times. I see you are a champion of self entitlement.
SPORTS IS NOT A RIGHT. It is a privilage. Sports as a whole has been put upon the highest pedestal. Education has been pushed somewhere down the middle.
Tax dollars are being spent by the millions for the soccer fields, football fields, baseball fields etc.....just so some shmuck of a principal can say he has a state championship. Sports is not fun; it is an obsession. Moreso for the parents it seems.
Schools are being used as babysitting services and it's being grossly neglected.
Back to the problem at hand? There seems to be quite an abundance of stay at home, minivan driving soccer moms. I say they can put their resources together and car pool. Maybe, pool their money together and charter some vans. If they want their kids to play sports, pay for it out of your own pocket.
While I agree that sports has it's place; It's not the #1 priority of a school system. Education should be and parents should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for thinking otherwise. School boards should be flamed for allowing sports to become an obsession.
It's not up to the rest of us to watch and babysit kids. That is a parents' job and it's time for that responsibility to return to the roots.
Very well said!
Another POV

Wayne, PA

#15 Aug 14, 2008
I have no experience with busing since as a kid I always walked to school, and my wife and I or a family member always drove our kids to school. Can someone enlighten me as to the logic of standing with your kid waiting for the school bus rather than driving them yourself? Help me out here - I don't get it.
Another POV

Wayne, PA

#16 Aug 14, 2008
By the way, my kids all went to the same small church run school and I always paid for every sport that they played (none of which were optional by the way). No fundraisers, carwashes, standing by the WalMart begging for donations, etc.
Blah

Schnecksville, PA

#17 Aug 14, 2008
Another POV wrote:
I have no experience with busing since as a kid I always walked to school, and my wife and I or a family member always drove our kids to school. Can someone enlighten me as to the logic of standing with your kid waiting for the school bus rather than driving them yourself? Help me out here - I don't get it.
The only thing I can think of is laziness. Goes back to entitlement. Why do it myself when someone else will do it for me.
memyselfandi

Allentown, PA

#18 Aug 14, 2008
Reading the article and I gotta say, shouldn't these measures have been done LOOOOONG ago?

12 Buses to take kids home after vo-tech...and they are just NOW realizing that they instead could bring them bakc to the H.S.?

Just NOW deciding to combine forces for lower fuel prices?

Now deciding to shut off the busses instead of idiling while waiting for students?

Gee...real rocket scientists...they deserve a pat on the back.....of the head with a shovel! Uggghh!
Blah

Schnecksville, PA

#19 Aug 14, 2008
memyselfandi wrote:
Reading the article and I gotta say, shouldn't these measures have been done LOOOOONG ago?
12 Buses to take kids home after vo-tech...and they are just NOW realizing that they instead could bring them bakc to the H.S.?
Just NOW deciding to combine forces for lower fuel prices?
Now deciding to shut off the busses instead of idiling while waiting for students?
Gee...real rocket scientists...they deserve a pat on the back.....of the head with a shovel! Uggghh!
Yes. And you wonder why you get that sick and queasy feeling when you look at your school taxes for the year and realize they went up yet again.

Makes you wonder how many other frivolous nonsense we pay for.

School boards are the poster children for fiscal irresponsibility.
ken

Whitehall, PA

#20 Aug 14, 2008
After school activities are one of the best things for these kids to be doing along with sports. It keeps them active,out of trouble and builds leadership along with self asteem. If they have to raise my taxes by a percent in order to keep the buses running and the kids active then do so. I would rather pay for a fuel surcharge with my taxes then another teacher pay raise. The head coaches are the only ones who get extra pay and it is nominal compared to the hours that are put in. Look at the big picture and stop crying about rich parents or soccer mom's .
Bunch of cry babies!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coplay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min USAsince1680 1,152,897
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 6 min cpeter1313 306,946
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 4 hr JOEL 70,985
Shula's Steakhouse Coming to Downtown Allentown 18 hr silly rabbit 6
Morganelli asks Northampton County officials fo... (Jun '09) 20 hr Gatsby 28
Amanda Seyfried: 'Small-town upbringing made me... (May '10) 23 hr Richard Kranium 5
Fire guts four homes in east Allentown Mon silly rabbit 2

Coplay News Video

Coplay Dating
Find my Match

Coplay People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Coplay News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Coplay

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:57 am PST