Losing sleep over oft-delayed mattresses

Losing sleep over oft-delayed mattresses

There are 19 comments on the The Morning Call story from Aug 28, 2008, titled Losing sleep over oft-delayed mattresses. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Every once in a while, the Watchdog enjoys spending a night on the couch instead of in bed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

“aka MOB”

Since: Mar 07

Bethlehem

#1 Aug 28, 2008
She should have told them to take their mattress and shove it where the sun don't shine. I understand not wanting to go shopping for it again but just note the model name and try to find it at another store. She could even try to get them to price match it. I got a great mattress at Bon-Ton for about the price she paid and I also hear that Sleepy's has good prices.

After all the problems you would think that they would have at least made her the first delivery on Saturday so she doesn't have to waste any more time on these guys.

I don't normally shop at Boscov's but this story will keep me away for sure.
Why

Allentown, PA

#2 Aug 28, 2008
they offered a full refund and she turned it down?
When july 28th came and went, i would have said you have a week to produce the beds, or I want a full refund, period. if they refused, you just make sure you pay with a major credit card, and reject the charges. they violated the sales agreement, therefore you get your money back.
I wouldn't have stood for that stuff, even if my kids weren't sleeping on couches.
Sound Reasoning

San Jose, CA

#3 Aug 28, 2008
Reminds me of my adventure in purchasing a new mattress.

I bought one from Sears.

The night before it was suppose to be delivered, I got not one reminder call, not two reminder calls, but THREE reminder calls from Sears.

Well, I took the day off from work to wait at home for it to be delivered.

And I waited.

And I waited.

Finally, around 4:30pm I called Sears. I called then, because I was worried that the office staff might go home at 5:00pm, and I wanted to catch them. There was some optimistic part of me, that was still clinging onto the hope that the truck was still out delivering, and the truck would still arrive at my home sooner or later (well, mostly later).

Well, they quickly told me that the delivery truck went to their warehouse that morning, and found my mattress was out of stock.

I quickly asked, then why didn't someone call me that morning to cancel? Especially when they went to the trouble to call me THREE times the night before confirming that will be delivering my mattress set.

Sears' reply was they are too busy to ever make such calls, and I was being totally unreasonable to even expect such a call.

After lots of "debating", asking to talk with mangers, etc, Sears finally offered me a $50 Gift Card for my trouble, just to shut me up.

I learned my lesson about Sears. And $50 is not enough to buy my silence.
emjoy

Northumberland, PA

#4 Aug 28, 2008
The Watchdog seems to be trying to force companies to provide reliable customer service. This will never work. The only way to insure that you get proper service is to take your money elsewhere. If a retailer can't provide your goods on time, take the money back and spend it somewhere else. If a service company doesn't provided service, change companies. Don't mess around. The more we allow this, the worse it will get. We work hard to convince companies that the only thing that matters is the price. We are wrong.
Britney Sears

Allentown, PA

#5 Aug 28, 2008
Sound Reasoning wrote:
Reminds me of my adventure in purchasing a new mattress.
I bought one from Sears.
The night before it was suppose to be delivered, I got not one reminder call, not two reminder calls, but THREE reminder calls from Sears.
Well, I took the day off from work to wait at home for it to be delivered.
And I waited.
And I waited.
Finally, around 4:30pm I called Sears. I called then, because I was worried that the office staff might go home at 5:00pm, and I wanted to catch them. There was some optimistic part of me, that was still clinging onto the hope that the truck was still out delivering, and the truck would still arrive at my home sooner or later (well, mostly later).
Well, they quickly told me that the delivery truck went to their warehouse that morning, and found my mattress was out of stock.
I quickly asked, then why didn't someone call me that morning to cancel? Especially when they went to the trouble to call me THREE times the night before confirming that will be delivering my mattress set.
Sears' reply was they are too busy to ever make such calls, and I was being totally unreasonable to even expect such a call.
After lots of "debating", asking to talk with mangers, etc, Sears finally offered me a $50 Gift Card for my trouble, just to shut me up.
I learned my lesson about Sears. And $50 is not enough to buy my silence.
Oh Lord, Sears. We had the same experience with our fridge a few years ago, except that they just didn't bother to show up with it...when they came another day, they dented the back of it carrying it into the house and left without balancing it, and we had to get a second technician (who was very courteous) to come out and set it up properly. Sears is awful at customer service-- my husband brought home a Craftsman yard tool a month ago and I gave him some grief for it, because any time from now on that we need to get any parts/supplies/whatever for it, we'll have to go to Sears. I went to get such a part and they were out of stock, couldn't order it for me, and told me I couldn't order it on the Internet. Sears makes the most minor of transactions into major headaches. Not sure how they're still in business.
Oskar Huber Stinks

United States

#6 Aug 28, 2008
This story sounds exactly like my experience with Oskar Huber.
I ordered furniture which they said would take 6-8 weeks. It ended up taking 16 weeks. Every time I called, I was promised my furniture was "on the way from the factory", which I realize now was a total lie. They were just trying to keep me on the hook so I would not take my money elsewhere. They ended up refunding my delivery fee, but then the guys who delievered my furniture looked like they were picked up from the side of the road that afternoon...not in any uniform and totally unprofessional looking.

For anyone reading this, I would think twice before buying anything from them.
Tom

Allentown, PA

#7 Aug 28, 2008
First of all, the orig delivery date was july 28, only 4 weeks ago. Another place told her she'd have new mattresses in 2-3 weeks. Big deal, it's a week later. Secondly, she should have never given the older boys' mattresses to the younger sons until the new ones were delivered, that was stupid on her part. And third, if she was offered a refund and refused it, she should shut her mouth alreay. My family has shopped at Boscov's for years and will continue to do so. We've never had a problem.
Mainia

United States

#8 Aug 28, 2008
Similar experience with Dicks Sporting goods and a treadmill with supposed "silver service delivery." 7-10 day shipping turned into 1 day shy of a month and I was training for a relay run!
Bill

Union, NJ

#9 Aug 28, 2008
Boscov's is awful, all around. Bad customer service, terrible mix of product, and poor management. The store is not even a shell of what it used to be. I have stopped shopping there.
mommy

Lansdowne, PA

#10 Aug 28, 2008
I don't like Boscov's, either. I can't figure out whether they want to be Kmart or Nordstrom. Such a weird mix of products.
Amused Crack-er

Bethlehem, PA

#11 Aug 28, 2008
Tom wrote:
First of all, the orig delivery date was july 28, only 4 weeks ago. Another place told her she'd have new mattresses in 2-3 weeks. Big deal, it's a week later. Secondly, she should have never given the older boys' mattresses to the younger sons until the new ones were delivered, that was stupid on her part. And third, if she was offered a refund and refused it, she should shut her mouth alreay. My family has shopped at Boscov's for years and will continue to do so. We've never had a problem.
It says in the article:
"They're 2 and 3 and just outgrew their cribs."

If the children are too big to be in the crib comfortably, she couldn't have them sleeping in a cramped crib or on the floor or the sofa. That is probably why the youngest ones got the older mattresses.

“aka MOB”

Bethlehem

#12 Aug 28, 2008
mommy wrote:
I don't like Boscov's, either. I can't figure out whether they want to be Kmart or Nordstrom. Such a weird mix of products.
I agree. Clinque counter right next to the latest "as seen on TV" gadget
Joey D

United States

#13 Aug 29, 2008
I would have grabbed the money and went somewhere else even if it cost a bit more. The way Boscov's is going, they may fold and she is out all the money. I had that happen with a sofa. It arrived on time and the delivery guys were helpful But they left quickly. When I looked behind the sofa to slide it to the wall, they had cut a slit with a knife. I called right away and didnt know they company was filing for banqruptcy. the salesman yes'ed me to death. Someone didnt sould right so I took his offer of 50 dollars, got it repaired and then the store closed. I broke even. she should too, grab yr 10 percent and run!
Sound Reasoning

San Jose, CA

#14 Aug 29, 2008
Britney Sears wrote:
Oh Lord, Sears. We had the same experience with our fridge a few years ago,...
Yea, Sears.

I am always amazed that so many people have such "horror" stories about their experiences with Sears.

I just wonder how Sears is able to stay in business with such a universal bad image. There has to be a point where "word of mouth" is so bad, that people are simply reluctant to shop at Sears anymore.
Ed H

Allentown, PA

#15 Aug 29, 2008
Tom wrote:
Go ahead Tom. Go down with the sinking ship that is Boscov's. By the way, how is all that Enron stock you bought doing these days?

“Allergic to stupid people”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#16 Aug 29, 2008
Sound Reasoning wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, Sears.
I am always amazed that so many people have such "horror" stories about their experiences with Sears.
I just wonder how Sears is able to stay in business with such a universal bad image. There has to be a point where "word of mouth" is so bad, that people are simply reluctant to shop at Sears anymore.
Many years ago, it did have a very good rep. I think things when down hill fast when it got mixed up in the K-mart buyout.

“aka MOB”

Bethlehem

#17 Aug 30, 2008
pippySqueek wrote:
<quoted text>
Many years ago, it did have a very good rep. I think things when down hill fast when it got mixed up in the K-mart buyout.
Ahhh..that make sense. I was wondering about all the Sears bashing because I never had a problem with them in the past. But I haven't made a major purchase (Appliances etc) from there since the Sears-Kmart thing began.

One place I was happy to see go away was American Appliance. Made that mistake once....
Tom

Allentown, PA

#18 Sep 3, 2008
You're an idiot. Why on earth would you ASSume I bought Enron stock? Typical stereotyping by an uninformed idiot. There is nothing wrong with buying from Boscov's. My family needs no big-ticket items, so shopping there for household items and clothing is just fine. And yes, given the current state of their finances, it wouldn't be such a good idea to buy big-ticket items there for a while.
Ed H wrote:
<quoted text>
Go ahead Tom. Go down with the sinking ship that is Boscov's. By the way, how is all that Enron stock you bought doing these days?
Tom

Allentown, PA

#19 Sep 3, 2008
Unfortunately, they try to appeal to the mixed-bag demographic that, unfortunately, this Lehigh Valley possesses. Somewhere the welfare trash can get their goodies, and the hardworking taxpayers can get Liz Clairborne clothing.
Michele of Bethlehem wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. Clinque counter right next to the latest "as seen on TV" gadget

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coplay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Julia 1,746,037
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 40 min American Independent 336,907
News Easton students can get in pools for free -- wi... (Jul '09) 5 hr Link Phartse 8
News Ex-Allentown mayor asks judge to reverse convic... 5 hr schiz 3
Kranium lost the hot dog eating contest 6 hr schiz 4
Kranium is really Juggalotus 10 hr Pollking 1
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 19 hr Black Ice 72,074

Coplay Jobs

Personal Finance

Coplay Mortgages