Recipe Exchange - September 10, 2008

Full story: The Morning Call

We don't have room for every recipe sent in, but we want to thank all who have helped us this week, including Tami Tierney of Allentown and Dianne of Whitehall .

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 36 of36
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“People smell funny.”

Since: Nov 07

East Vincent, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

megg wrote:
<quoted text>
Pumpkin chocolate cheesecake bars??? That sounds unbelievable! Can I get some?
Oh, they are soooo good. Unfortunately, Triple K, they're not calorie-free, but I have made some "better" changes to the original recipe.

Preheat oven to 350.

Crust:
Depending on what kind of crust you like, either use graham cracker crumbs or finely chopped Oreos (use the low-fat ones if you want; it tastes fine either way). You need a cup of crumbs, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and 4 tablespoons of melted butter. Mix together and press into a foil-lined whatever sized pan you have. The original recipe called for an 8x8, but I've been using an 8x12, and they're still really thick. Anyway, bake for 12-15 minutes or whenever it starts to smell good (if using graham cracker crumbs, it's done right when the edges start turning golden brown).

Filling:
2 8-oz packages of softened cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese (cream cheese for a more dense cheesecake, Neufchatel for a lighter and really tasty cheesecake)
1 cup of sugar
3 eggs
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips

Cream together the cream cheese and sugar. Mix in eggs. Mix flour, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and puree. Set aside a cup of the mixture, and pour into pan.

Melt the chocolate chips in microwave at 30-second increments. Once melted, add the reserved cup of cheesecake filling and mix well. Refuse the temptation to eat the chocolate mixture as is. With a spoon, put big globs of it in the cheesecake, and swirl with a knife.

Bake the cheesecake at 350 for (supposedly) 40-50 minutes or until it's set and jiggles slightly when moved. If you're using the Neufchatel and a gas oven, check it after 25 minutes, as it starts to crack at around the 30-minute mark.

I've made these bars on several occasions, and they are just sooo freaking good that everyone loves them (even picky kids, until you tell them there's pumpkin in it :-P).

If you're inclined, you CAN use Splenda in this recipe, though watch the baking times.

“People smell funny.”

East Vincent, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Hey Ho_ Lets Go wrote:
The green/yellow bean recipe looks fattening.
A better choice for healthy eatting would be fresh green beans steamed with lemon juice squeezed on them or almond slivers added. Forget the creams unless you need to gain weight and like rich foods.
I'm a big fan of sauteeing green beans in a little olive oil, garlic, and touch of soy sauce (a little bit goes a looong way). But the creams are good for weather like today, when everything just feels so..blah :)

“Ride Hard Die Free”

Since: May 08

bullet-proof tiger

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Mandapants wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, not Topix, nor was it misplaced. FTFA: "Denise Palmer of Adelaide, South Australia, an online reader, found gingerbread recipes for Louise Bartush of Avoca, Luzerne County.'I just happen to have the 'Brer Rabbit's New Orleans Molasses Recipes' booklet, from the 1950s! It has 50 little pages in it and I bought it on eBay last year,' she says." The roboblogger automatically tags for all locations mentioned.
That being said, have the people who are asking for these recipes looked online for them? Some of these have always been pretty easy to find. For example if you google "string beans sour cream" you get numerous hits for string beans with a sour cream sauce.. http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1850,147167-2...
so why is it here? still weird.

“People smell funny.”

East Vincent, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

SUPERIOR AUSSIE wrote:
<quoted text>so why is it here? still weird.
As I said, the roboblogger automatically tags for all locations mentioned. Someone from Australia had a recipe someone in the Valley was looking for.
megg

North Wales, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2008

Mandapants wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, they are soooo good. Unfortunately, Triple K, they're not calorie-free, but I have made some "better" changes to the original recipe.
Preheat oven to 350.
Crust:
Depending on what kind of crust you like, either use graham **** crumbs or finely chopped Oreos (use the low-fat ones if you want; it tastes fine either way). You need a cup of crumbs, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and 4 tablespoons of melted butter. Mix together and press into a foil-lined whatever sized pan you have. The original recipe called for an 8x8, but I've been using an 8x12, and they're still really thick. Anyway, bake for 12-15 minutes or whenever it starts to smell good (if using graham **** crumbs, it's done right when the edges start turning golden brown).
Filling:
2 8-oz packages of softened cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese (cream cheese for a more dense cheesecake, Neufchatel for a lighter and really tasty cheesecake)
1 cup of sugar
3 eggs
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
Cream together the cream cheese and sugar. Mix in eggs. Mix flour, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and puree. Set aside a cup of the mixture, and pour into pan.
Melt the chocolate chips in microwave at 30-second increments. Once melted, add the reserved cup of cheesecake filling and mix well. Refuse the temptation to eat the chocolate mixture as is. With a spoon, put big globs of it in the cheesecake, and swirl with a knife.
Bake the cheesecake at 350 for (supposedly) 40-50 minutes or until it's set and jiggles slightly when moved. If you're using the Neufchatel and a gas oven, check it after 25 minutes, as it starts to crack at around the 30-minute mark.
I've made these bars on several occasions, and they are just sooo freaking good that everyone loves them (even picky kids, until you tell them there's pumpkin in it :-P).
If you're inclined, you CAN use Splenda in this recipe, though watch the baking times.
Thank you Mandapants. You ROCK.

“SHOWING THE WAY”

Since: Jul 08

Heart Chambers

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2008

Sounds absolutely delicious
Triple K

Slatington, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2008

Not much out there that is good that is not calorie free.. AHHHHH the smell of a good apple pie right now!!! Cant wait till its done, some good vanilla ice cream, OH and here is something that is great, sounds yukkie but try it, take a slice of American cheese and nuke it over your apple pie, you will be surprised of the taste !!!!!!!
megg

North Wales, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2008

Triple K wrote:
Not much out there that is good that is not calorie free.. AHHHHH the smell of a good apple pie right now!!! Cant wait till its done, some good vanilla ice cream, OH and here is something that is great, sounds yukkie but try it, take a slice of American cheese and nuke it over your apple pie, you will be surprised of the taste !!!!!!!
I 100% agree with your first statement and you must be a fabulous cook....everything you describe makes my mouth water. I would weigh 300 pounds if I lived with you. I am an ok cook, but I notice that anytime I go home to mom's (last night she had us for dinner)...man, do I eat! Piled on the homemade mashed potatoes (with sour cream, no less!)!!!
TRIPLE K

Fleetwood, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2008

megg wrote:
<quoted text>
I 100% agree with your first statement and you must be a fabulous cook....everything you describe makes my mouth water. I would weigh 300 pounds if I lived with you. I am an ok cook, but I notice that anytime I go home to mom's (last night she had us for dinner)...man, do I eat! Piled on the homemade mashed potatoes (with sour cream, no less!)!!!
MEGG MEGG MEGG, stay away from the mashed tators, eat them only once a week,!!! when I make my mashed I put in Munster and provalone cheese in with them, fresh grinded pepper, want goooood taste use a heavy whipping cream instead of milk, add a little garlic, and then broil the top a bit till a little brown, OH MY SWEETIE, your family will do cartwheels for more... My apple pie last night, first one of the fall season, my daughter this morning went wacko , and believe me I dont know how she stays skinny eating 2 big slices and I put cheese on one and she said it was awesome, tonights menu after the barn chores, apple glazed pork tenderloin, bake apples with light brown sugar and butter topped with some redi whip, bacon wrapped green beans, and apple cider with a touch of Captain Morgans SPICED rum, OH also a little apple cider on the bottom of tenderloin as well.. and fried potatoes with old bay(garlic and herb), smoked paprika, kosher salt and cracked pepper and a touch of sweet basil!!! want some????
Flat Brush

Slidell, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2008

TRIPLE K

Fleetwood, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2008

Mandapants wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a big fan of sauteeing green beans in a little olive oil, garlic, and touch of soy sauce (a little bit goes a looong way). But the creams are good for weather like today, when everything just feels so..blah :)
On this want to kick it up a notch??? throw in some small pieces of double smoked bacon, and I did this last week, I got some Weiss's brand "cracker meal" and just before it was done,(I like a little crunch in my green beans) I added some of the cracker meal, and it just seemed to give it a little bite and new type of texture when chewing it gave it a real pleasant bite!!! Now I also threw some seasoning in it as well, to the cracker meal..
TRIPLE K

Fleetwood, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2008

Mandapants wrote:
<quoted text>
they bleeped out K R A C K E R, WTF is wrong with C R A C KER I dont understand but you know now what I mean @ R A @ K E R
megg

North Wales, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2008

TRIPLE K wrote:
<quoted text> they bleeped out K R A C K E R, WTF is wrong with C R A C KER I dont understand but you know now what I mean @ R A @ K E R
Yeah, they bleeped out that word last week too, when Mandapants posted the pumpkin bar recipe as well :-)

“Allergic to stupid people”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2008

TRIPLE K wrote:
<quoted text> they bleeped out K R A C K E R, WTF is wrong with C R A C KER I dont understand but you know now what I mean @ R A @ K E R
I guess we foodies are just going to have to invent a new word for those crisy thin bread-like items that one puts cheese, meat on so that we don't get contstantly bleeped on!

Your first message about (rackers looks like one of those mad-libs we use to do as a kid!

“People smell funny.”

East Vincent, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2008

..I'm not seeing the bleepage of the crackers.. Am I missing something?

And I'll have to try the bacon in the green beans sometime for the other half. I, personally, HATE bacon, but he enjoys it from time to time.
TRIPLE K

Fleetwood, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2008

I got some Andouille sausage and want to make a gumbo mix maybe thursday night, that will kick up the notch by 10 fold, stuff is spicy big time but does have a good taste..hard to eat it just alone but really was designed to be in a gumbo of sort or thinly sliced and used with stuffing mix for a chicken that would be good..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 36 of36
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Flash Flood Watch for Lehigh County was issued at July 14 at 3:54AM EDT

•••
•••

Coplay News Video

•••
•••

Coplay Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••