Grass is an issue too

Grass is an issue too

There are 27 comments on the The Morning Call story from May 17, 2009, titled Grass is an issue too. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Coplay no longer collects grass clippings. We are to use a mulching mower and let the clippings settle.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
mog dober

Lansing, MI

#1 May 17, 2009
does the grass belong to the city or the county? I think not. your problem - deal with it, just like everyone else. life is hard. just another whinny pants who thinks the government is responsible for him.

“Cool Logic - Burning Passion”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#3 May 17, 2009
mog dober wrote:
does the grass belong to the city or the county? I think not. your problem - deal with it, just like everyone else. life is hard. just another whinny pants who thinks the government is responsible for him.
or...you can do like the slobs do in our area...find a area where you can dump your crap sight unseen. Just toss the bag out the window and drive off to leave the mess to someone else. Isn't that the way of too many these days?
Buck 298

Kernersville, NC

#4 May 17, 2009
Mikey D

Philadelphia, PA

#5 May 17, 2009
heres a solution just let it grow and don't cut it, it i'll save you time and then you won't have to worry about your clippings. Let the municipality take care of real problems...
Get over it

King Of Prussia, PA

#6 May 17, 2009
For its first mow of the season (which is ALWAYS THE WORST), although I must have had to restart it at least 25 times during the episode; with my 6.5 hp mower and a mulching blade, I was able mow down thick, 4 foot high grass. I don't let the clumps bother me. Neither should you.

Find something better to b|tch about or be prepared to pay through the nose to get rid of your grass. Plenty of other localities have to pay to get rid of it too.

Either that or buy a goat.
Gary

Schnecksville, PA

#7 May 17, 2009
I've been using mulching mowers for 20 years.
The right mower type will work very well.
You will need more HP than a conventional mower and will have to mow twice a week.
Sears sells a 33" double blade 0 turn walk behind mower that works very well.(I think it's made by Troy Built).
I'm getting a little old to be walking behind it twice a week and only use it for trimming now.
The primary mower that I use most is a 0 turn John Deere.( be extremely careful when mowing down hill, I recommend going down backwards because the low gear ratio gives you more control.
If these conditions are ok with you, that's the way to go. I fertilize only 2 times a year (spring/fall) instead of 4 times as with conventional mowers.
maybe

Northampton, PA

#8 May 17, 2009
Why not just let them lay. Or compost them.
BUBBLE THE BUBBLE

Verona, NJ

#9 May 17, 2009
YES>>> MAYBE <<< is RIGHT IT IS CALLED COMPOSTING, YOU DO NOT NEED MOTHER GOVY-MENT FOR EVERYTHING IN YOUR LIFE.

Since: Mar 07

Dallas, TX

#10 May 17, 2009
Lose the grass.

Plant clover or some other lawn alternative.
Deb

Arkansas City, KS

#11 May 17, 2009
Have a vegetable garden? Use it to mulch the ground. It helps keep the weeds down and fertilizes the soil. And better yet, it won't cost you anything.
Johnny -The See- ILDee

Allentown, PA

#12 May 17, 2009
Mikey D wrote:
heres a solution just let it grow and don't cut it, it i'll save you time and then you won't have to worry about your clippings. Let the municipality take care of real problems...
Mr Newhard has suffered enough. Fundraisers are indicated, as well as donations per the banks of Mr Newhard's choice. Let's give this gentleman some hope in life and a proper burial for the clippings.
reason

Bethlehem, PA

#13 May 17, 2009
I never understood why people bagged their grass. It's grass. If you want to cut it, let it sit, big deal. Get one of those old fashioned push ones, you can get a workout, and save on gas!
Spongewad Noodle Trousers

Whitehouse Station, NJ

#14 May 18, 2009
Trash haulers in the Nazareth area have stopped collecting grass clippings as well and a few people in my neighborhood are upset about it.

Personally, I've always used a mulcher and back in the day would mow 2-3 times a week to avoid clumping. Now, I just let it clump, because I know I'll just be mowing over it within the next 7 days anyway.

Someone would become a very rich person if they could figure out something to do with grass clippings...maybe cold fusion or something...
JOKE

Kingston, PA

#15 May 18, 2009
Here is an idea for this genious. Take a few handfuls and put them in a garbage bag with the rest of your garbage. Do this with a few bags and put it out with your normal garbage on garbage collection day. I have a feeling this would work. There is not a single garbage man that will sort through your garbage. Its not like they employ a grass clipping police man to cover their route with them.
Geezer

Bethlehem, PA

#16 May 18, 2009
If you get eaught by the grass clipping police do they tow away your lawn and sell it at auction?
jmo

United States

#17 May 18, 2009
StaberDearth wrote:
<quoted text>
or...you can do like the slobs do in our area...find a area where you can dump your crap sight unseen. Just toss the bag out the window and drive off to leave the mess to someone else. Isn't that the way of too many these days?
Have to laugh at your post...how true, how true. You must live out in the "country". Doesn't happen in my area though. People sure are slobs with no conscience...I was taught not to litter.
Ummm

United States

#18 May 18, 2009
Dump it in a field in the middle of the night.
Really now

United States

#19 May 18, 2009
I mow once a week. Even after our long stretch of rain, I was able to cut without clumping. No need to cut twice a week. I have a feeling people who get clumps are over fertilizing. Chill out on making your grass grow too fast. Au natural works fine for us and we're not killing ourselves cutting every third day like my neighbor who fertilizes.

Since: Mar 07

Bethlehem, PA

#20 May 18, 2009
I'M TELLING ALL OF YOU: SCREW "GRASS" AND EMBRACE A CLOVER LAWN.

Far less mowing,
healthier for the soil,
healthier for the landfills,
less water required,....

I've yet to see a downside.
Gary

Schnecksville, PA

#21 May 18, 2009
Dennis Mac wrote:
I'M TELLING ALL OF YOU: SCREW "GRASS" AND EMBRACE A CLOVER LAWN.
Far less mowing,
healthier for the soil,
healthier for the landfills,
less water required,....
I've yet to see a downside.
My grandfather had one of those. Clover, pig ears and Dandy Lions.
He rarely mowed and his lawn looked like hell.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coplay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Henry 1,420,699
News Allentown celebrates state grant to boost Seven... (Apr '07) 13 min silly rabbit 4
News Allentown to install camera network (May '07) 22 min silly rabbit 58
News Allentown Police Department unit to target gangs (May '07) 2 hr silly rabbit 22
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 18 hr Blue November 311,629
News Lightning torches building at abandoned Allento... 23 hr silly rabbit 5
News Farmer suffered severe arm injury Mon coalbilly musings 1

Coplay Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Coplay Mortgages