3 Coopersville students denied readmi...

3 Coopersville students denied readmission following hazing inc...

There are 781 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Jun 9, 2008, titled 3 Coopersville students denied readmission following hazing inc.... In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

Three junior varsity baseball players expelled in 2007 for a hazing incident have been denied readmission.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 40
Next Last
Kate

Hamilton, MI

#1 Jun 9, 2008
Those boys made their decision when they assaulted a team member. We as parents, made our decision tonight: THE RIGHT ONE.

hms

Since: Dec 07

Holland, MI

#2 Jun 9, 2008
GOOD!! I think there would have been a lot of ticked off people if they were readmitted! What kind of message would that have been sending??

Since: May 08

Erie, CO

#3 Jun 9, 2008
The kids have been criminally charged. Their conduct has been exposed to the entire metro area. I am not sure the community is so wise to continue to punish these kids in this way.

And if their futures are ruined, we will be paying for the prison cells.

It is time for a little mercy.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
C-ville dad

United States

#4 Jun 9, 2008
You can't always believe what you read in the media. If I based my oppinion solely on what I have read and not what I know I would probably feel the same and not want these kids back in, however the facts are a little blurry and these kids have and continue to pay for there actions. I would have liked to see them back in Coopersville. I will pray for the accused. The victim is lying in the bed he made at this point.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
RonRam

West Olive, MI

#5 Jun 9, 2008
No one wins. The victim will bear a burden of humilation and fear.

The young prepatrators may be destined for a life of crime. Lives lost. Boys that will never be moral men. How were they raised? Did they never get a moral compass from family?

So sad. I may not agree with the school board, but I understand their obligation and duty to do right for all the students and school.
AJR

Cadillac, MI

#6 Jun 9, 2008
If I were one of those boys, and if I truly understood the impact of what I had done, I would not want to be readmitted to the school. The thought of facing all my old classmates and teachers from day to day, all of them knowing what I had done, would make me far too ashamed to show my face in that school again.
Mercy comes after repentance. How much remorse do these boys truly feel?
Not PC

Littleton, CO

#7 Jun 9, 2008
There was enough evidence to at least charge them with indecency. And if peer pressure on witnesses had not been present these "boys"/degenerates would probably have been found guilty of something much worse! Why is West Michigan so lax on sex offenders? How dare anyone just look at this as "boys will be boys"! This is sick, criminal behaviour and those "boys" don't deserve to be readmitted to a regular school. How about a boot camp type school where discipline is the key?
Other places have these types of assualts its true --- but the pathetically indifferent judges and community don't just give them a little slap on the wrist. They define the scum for what they are and push for the monsters to be kept from other potential victims!
C-ville Mom

Grandville, MI

#8 Jun 9, 2008
I am so relieved!!!  This behavior is intolerable, and requires consequences.  I am all for mercy and forgiveness, however that doesn't mean we shouldn't punish people for their own choices and bad behavior! 
It doesn't mean these kids lives are ruined and if they end up in a jail cell that will be their own choice too.  Maybe by having consquences to their actions they will think alittle before making rash choices.  I believe the victims are lying in the bed the accused decided to make at this point, but they will heal and go on, thank God.
Blame

Secaucus, NJ

#9 Jun 9, 2008
The problem is the victims also particiapted as suspects and were charged, community service. These young men all lnew what they were doing and all participated. It does not matter where you live or who/how you hire..it is not fool proof. I think the school did an excellent job in reacting the way they did and all the changes that were immidately made. I know the victims parents all have special demands..but so do I..You can please everyone.
Coopersville is an excellent school and to sue for 90 million dollars is just a greedy person, when they say it isnt about money..HA HA HA
Blame

Secaucus, NJ

#10 Jun 9, 2008
You Can't please everyone!!
coopersville parent

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Jun 9, 2008
Finally a little justice for the victims! Now maybe there will be some action taken to get things changed around there. It's sad that it had to come down to a lawsuit and a split community for people to wake up and see that a lot of changes need to be made. Starting with the athletic director and his secretary.(Kathy Bush) I guess she doesn't have as much influence as she thought she did! Congratulations to the victims and their families!
whiner

United States

#12 Jun 9, 2008
let em go to a charter or private school.
embarrassed

United States

#13 Jun 9, 2008
I am so ticked off right now its unbelievable. Not because these boys were not let back in ( although I thought they should be). Why I am upset is that while its time to find closure for all involved, I come in here to read some real questionable posts. Like AJR, who wants to question them wanting back in. Do you think the kids at the school they moved to didnt here what they did? They have to face scorn wherever they go, why not try to be around friends to help them move on? Or are they not allowed to move on and try and make something of their lives? I wonder if AJR is a christian or attends any church service? I was taught that we are not to stand in judgement of others, while thats what many of you are doing, with little to know facts.(even if you did know all the facts its not our place to judge these kids) Or RonRam who says they will never grow to be moral men. Sheer stupidity Ron. And then to erase all doubt about your standing as a "moral man" you bash the parents. As a kid my parents talked to be about drinking and driving. I did it anyway. When they suspected I was still driving drunk they took my car. But I took it one night and crashed into someone. Thank God noone was hurt. Had I killed someone, people like you would have questioned my parents abilities to raise a son, when they did all they could do. And I can say from that day on I never drank and drove again. So I believe these boys learned a hard lesson and pray they come through this as better men, if only we would show what adults should act like and quit judging them.
parent too

Hudsonville, MI

#14 Jun 9, 2008
coopersville parent wrote:
Finally a little justice for the victims! Now maybe there will be some action taken to get things changed around there. It's sad that it had to come down to a lawsuit and a split community for people to wake up and see that a lot of changes need to be made. Starting with the athletic director and his secretary.(Kathy Bush) I guess she doesn't have as much influence as she thought she did! Congratulations to the victims and their families!
What more demands can they have??? Look at all the changes they had to make for this. If you go their website and look under hazing/bullying, very long list of costly changes. Coopersvile has a great administration, victims parent are so tunnel vision on making money off this..90 million dollar lawsuit..GOOD GRIEF, oh and they say its not about the money! Good Job Coopersville School Administration!! Its an excellent school
bye-bye

Utica, MI

#15 Jun 9, 2008
C-ville dad wrote:
You can't always believe what you read in the media. If I based my oppinion solely on what I have read and not what I know I would probably feel the same and not want these kids back in, however the facts are a little blurry and these kids have and continue to pay for there actions. I would have liked to see them back in Coopersville. I will pray for the accused. The victim is lying in the bed he made at this point.
So you're saying it's the victim's fault? Explain.
what

East Syracuse, NY

#16 Jun 9, 2008
parent too wrote:
<quoted text>
What more demands can they have??? Look at all the changes they had to make for this. If you go their website and look under hazing/bullying, very long list of costly changes. Coopersvile has a great administration, victims parent are so tunnel vision on making money off this..90 million dollar lawsuit..GOOD GRIEF, oh and they say its not about the money! Good Job Coopersville School Administration!! Its an excellent school
Where are people getting 90 million from? Thought it was 5 mill.
parent too

Hudsonville, MI

#17 Jun 9, 2008
bye-bye wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're saying it's the victim's fault? Explain.
Victims were also suspects and charged! They were sentenced to commuinity service.
Coopersville alumnus

United States

#18 Jun 9, 2008
I have been affiliated with the Coopersville Area Public Schools in various capacities from the time I began school as a youngster until my husband retired from teaching there. Coopersville schools have always expected the best from students and have encouraged excellence in all areas, including social behavior. The CAPS school board is to be commended for making the decision to uphold high expectations regarding the school system and the community at large. Go Broncos! Proud to be a past graduate, parent, faculty spouse, etc.
coopersville parent

Ada, MI

#19 Jun 9, 2008
parent too wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were at the meeting tonight you'd understand why more changes are neccesary. I was shocked by how many families have kept or pulled their kids out of CAPS. I for one have thought about it many times. It's all about who you are and who you know. The only way that it's going to change is by getting the administration's attention. The lawsuit seems to have done the trick. There is so much conflict of interest in that school. Changes NEED to be made starting with some personnel.
Darin

Aurora, CO

#20 Jun 9, 2008
I think the School Board made an excellent decision in not allowing these kids back into the District. The only thing is, I think they probably did it for the wrong reasons. With the pending lawsuit, there is no way it was going to happen. The reason it should have been though, is purely for public safety. "embarrassed", you are an idiot. There are plenty of smaller crimes committed with jail and other things as penalties, but you believe a couple of kids shoving a toothbrush up a kids ass deserves a slap on the wrist and a "forgive and forget" attitude. Screw that. Like i have said before, I still have kids attending Coopersville and do not want my kids any wheres near those Sex Offenders.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 40
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coopersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Donald Trump Jr. to speak at Kent GOP rally Nov 7 grooves 1
News Grand Coney to open fourth location in Grand Ra... Aug '16 RushFan666 2
Summer daycare? (May '16) May '16 Jess 1
News Civil War-Era Medal of Honor Winner Honored in ... (Oct '15) Nov '15 Jerry Alger 2
Debate: Gay Marriage - Coopersville, MI (Jan '11) Sep '15 The realist 3
suboxone (Aug '15) Aug '15 shannon3660 2
News Good Friday Night for Holland & Hope Dutch; GVS... (Dec '12) Dec '14 Blackhorse 2

Coopersville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Coopersville Mortgages