New board member and grading concerns dominate Quakertown School Board meeting

Aug 22, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WFMZ

Chuck Shermer was appointed to the Quakertown Community School District Board during Thursday night's meeting to fill a vacant position.

Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Sep 13, 2013
Annie

Quakertown, PA

#1 Aug 23, 2013
It is time for parents and community to speak up. If you have an opinion on SBG, go to the board meetings and weigh in. They have made it easy to speak at the meetings, unlike the previous board. They want your input. Go to the qcsd.org and find the meeting schedule.
Retriever

Hatfield, PA

#2 Aug 24, 2013
This fall, administrators have also made some changes to Standards Based Grading. School officials have revised the district’s reading and writing learning targets to reflect the Pennsylvania Common Core Standards, and have added literacy learning targets for all courses and disciplines.
Retriever

Hatfield, PA

#3 Aug 24, 2013
The handwriting is on the wall Standard Based Grading doesn't have a chance of being retained.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/00redesign/news/co...
Info

Quakertown, PA

#4 Aug 24, 2013
Retriever wrote:
This fall, administrators have also made some changes to Standards Based Grading. School officials have revised the district’s reading and writing learning targets to reflect the Pennsylvania Common Core Standards, and have added literacy learning targets for all courses and disciplines.
So, we go from the frying pan of SBG and NCLB to Common Core?

http://www.theblaze.com/news/common-core/
UsedtotheLies

Quakertown, PA

#5 Aug 24, 2013
It's so worth the money to have my child in a real school. Just wish I didn't have to pay for whatever that building is up the street. More like an institution than a school. We are all being chumped.
Qtown Resident

Perkasie, PA

#6 Aug 24, 2013
If you read the WFMZ article above, this quote from Paul Stepanoff sums up one of my major complaints with SBG:

“What I believe students are telling us is that it is really hard to get a four or an A,” said Paul Stepanoff, a board director.“It’s like a 95 and above. But then a B is really easy to get because it’s from 75 to 95. You can work really hard for that A and then you miss it and you get the same grade that someone who didn’t work that hard got.”

Getting a 4 in SBG is very difficult. Getting a 3 or 3.5 (both of which convert to a "B" letter grade on the student's transcript)is much easier. I'm glad someone pointed this out at the school board meeting.
Whitenose

Quakertown, PA

#7 Aug 24, 2013
Qtown Resident wrote:
If you read the WFMZ article above, this quote from Paul Stepanoff sums up one of my major complaints with SBG:
“What I believe students are telling us is that it is really hard to get a four or an A,” said Paul Stepanoff, a board director.“It’s like a 95 and above. But then a B is really easy to get because it’s from 75 to 95. You can work really hard for that A and then you miss it and you get the same grade that someone who didn’t work that hard got.”
Getting a 4 in SBG is very difficult. Getting a 3 or 3.5 (both of which convert to a "B" letter grade on the student's transcript)is much easier. I'm glad someone pointed this out at the school board meeting.
Sounds like the people who ruined our education system by reducing the amount of achievement to receive good grades still have their fingers in the pot. They've taken 5% of the C grades and 5% of the A grades and lumped them into A's. Sounds like they're trying again to average out our system to reward lower achievement and penalize excellence. BTW, what is the new criteria for D's ?
Whitenose

Quakertown, PA

#8 Aug 24, 2013
Sorry, typo in my post. It should have said:"lumped them into B's.
Richland Resident

Quakertown, PA

#9 Aug 24, 2013
Qtown Resident wrote:
SBG is the child of Andrejko, correct?

Then why give praise to Stepanoff who allowed her contract to be renewed?

You people got what you deserved when he and Stauffer were voted back into office, along with the election of Stepanoff's cronies, Gary Landes and Mitch Anderson.

You have only yourselves to blame for this situation. You were fed lies and propaganda from their propaganda minister, Richard Woldow, who also helped finance their election campaigns.
Qtown Resident

Perkasie, PA

#10 Aug 24, 2013
Why act like everything is doom and gloom in Quakertown? There are promising improvements: the graduation rate and test scores are up. Yes SBG has some problems. The actual content of our children's curriculum is strong however. They are learning.

According to a report in the news this week, based on the results of this year's ACT scores only 26% of those taking the ACT test were considered prepared for college. This doesn't appear to be a problem unique to Quakertown or Standard Based Grading. Is SBG really to blame for everything?
ditto

Sellersville, PA

#11 Sep 9, 2013
Annie wrote:
It is time for parents and community to speak up. If you have an opinion on SBG, go to the board meetings and weigh in. They have made it easy to speak at the meetings, unlike the previous board. They want your input. Go to the qcsd.org and find the meeting schedule.
ditto
QCSD Parent

Quakertown, PA

#12 Sep 13, 2013
Kudos to Shermer! Someone with guts and no time to keep wasting. Is Super A's dynasty starting to crumble?
OverThreeYearsTo oLate

Sellersville, PA

#13 Sep 13, 2013
Richland Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
SBG is the child of Andrejko, correct?
Then why give praise to Stepanoff who allowed her contract to be renewed?
You people got what you deserved when he and Stauffer were voted back into office, along with the election of Stepanoff's cronies, Gary Landes and Mitch Anderson.
You have only yourselves to blame for this situation. You were fed lies and propaganda from their propaganda minister, Richard Woldow, who also helped finance their election campaigns.
Took a while to clear out the board members who marched to Andrejko's tune but success is in sight.

http://www.theintell.com/news/communities/qua...
Richland Resident wrote:
Here's a thought: Don't reelect Stepanoff. He allowed her contract renewal to go through without opposition.
Be careful who you vote for.
The same goes for his posse: Anderson, Landes, and Stauffer.
These are the clowns who said they would clean up the mess in QCSD.
Yeah, and I have a nice bridge to sell you.
I agree with you that, tragically, Stepanoff, and the other rational QCSD board members missed their chance to oust Andrejko.

Change is taking a while, but the composition of the QCSD Board is no longer a majority of "yes ma'ams".

The QCSD Board is now taking measures to "clean up the mess in QCSD".

http://www.theintell.com/news/communities/qua...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coopersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Orientation canceled 12 min Richland Resident 18
Paul Stepanoff violates local board procedures ... 1 hr Got that right 15
Auf Widersehen TOPIX 2 hr smoking doctor 3
Park Avenue accident 12 hr Czar Chasm 11
Brittany Pomery-mother of the year (Aug '10) 16 hr Kill a cop 38
What Should the U.S. Do About ISIS? 17 hr Inquiring Mind 1
high school cyber school 17 hr Opinion 6
•••

Coopersburg News Video

•••