First Prev
of 8
Next Last
SAAA

East Greenville, PA

#1 Jul 11, 2012
Did anyone else notice that the entire Ametek USG Plant #2 facility is gone? Leveled and cleared. That went down quickly...and quietly. No press at all. I wonder why...

Please take a minute to read below. Support is encouraged and appreciated.

Thank you.

http://www.change.org/petitions/sellersville -...

Since: Jun 12

Scranton, PA

#2 Jul 11, 2012
SAAA wrote:
Did anyone else notice that the entire Ametek USG Plant #2 facility is gone? Leveled and cleared. That went down quickly...and quietly. No press at all. I wonder why...
Thank you.
I havent been down in the area for several years. My dad worked at Ametek in Hatfield .Is that the plant you refer to or is it another . I used to love to go in there with him to see all the machines . God that brings back memories ...
smiley

Sunbury, PA

#3 Jul 11, 2012
SAAA wrote:
Thank you.
FYI- the link doesnt work, so I did a search.
Search sellersville PA and nothing pulled up.
Can u post the link again?
BTW, the "Dial Dept" was in that bldg. The materials used in the older style dial faces supposedly contained radioactive materials.
I imagine youre aware of that?
SAAA

East Greenville, PA

#4 Jul 12, 2012
Cantfish...: This is the plant in Sellersville. The one in Hatfield is also contaminated, although not nearly as bad as what happened in S-ville.

Smiley: I don't get that...I posted the entire link but it looks like it was shortened. I apologize. Here it is:

https://www.change.org/petitions/sellersville... #

Should that not post correctly, please search "Sellersville Action Against Ametek." There is a Facebook community page as well:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sellersville-Ac...

Thanks for the info, and you are correct. Those dials were coated in radium-based paint. Radium was found in the ground surrounding that plant in addition to open space in the center of Sellersville that Ametek U.S. Gauge used as a landfill in the 1940's. They destroyed that entire town.
smiley

Sunbury, PA

#5 Jul 13, 2012
SAAA wrote:
Cantfish...: This is the plant in Sellersville. The one in Hatfield is also contaminated, although not nearly as bad as what happened in S-ville.
Smiley: I don't get that...I posted the entire link but it looks like it was shortened. I apologize. Here it is:
https://www.change.org/petitions/sellersville... #
Should that not post correctly, please search "Sellersville Action Against Ametek." There is a Facebook community page as well:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sellersville-Ac...
Thanks for the info, and you are correct. Those dials were coated in radium-based paint. Radium was found in the ground surrounding that plant in addition to open space in the center of Sellersville that Ametek U.S. Gauge used as a landfill in the 1940's. They destroyed that entire town.
yea and they knowingly destroyed the health of their employees and now they refuse to chumup and pay for simple blood tests! Boood test that can alert a person in advance so they can receive treatment for a condition that can be life threatening!

and thats just 1 health issue! Plenty of nasty chemicals that the workers ( and their familes) were exposed to!

They knew for years ago I knew a man who worked there. He came down with brain cancer from exposure to chemicals used there.
They paid him off, allowed him to continue to work till his death...their dirty deeds went unoticed.
Another man I knew came down with disturbing neurological problems from working with the TCE. He settled with them for a sum of money, not much in todays dollars...and never returned to work!

Thanks for the link!
Someone needs to kick azzzzzzzzz.
AWE226

United States

#6 Oct 10, 2012
Anyone have any idea what, aside from illuminated paint, radium was used for all those years at Ametek USG in S-ville? What did their aerospace division do?
smiley

Sunbury, PA

#7 Oct 11, 2012
AWE226 wrote:
Anyone have any idea what, aside from illuminated paint, radium was used for all those years at Ametek USG in S-ville? What did their aerospace division do?
Whats your point?
Are you trying to cast a positive light on them in hopes their dirty deeds remain covered?

I had relatives and friends who worked in that division.
I know they made gauges, for military I believe.

Of course the jobs paid well, but the employees were at risk even though that dept was segregated from the other area of the plant, their health was at risk from other chemicals that were in the plant itself, including the plants TCE laced drinking water!
AWE226

United States

#8 Oct 11, 2012
Not at all. Just trying to understand what all went down there. U.S. Gauge made gauges, so why did they need a second plant? And aerospace divisions typically are nuclear related, aren't they? Seems as though they did a lot of undisclosed uranium milling in Sellersville as well, leaving a lot of tailings behind. Built houses right on top, too. The arsenic in the water in this area is not so "naturally occurring," either. Is Ametek a GOC?
AWE226

United States

#9 Oct 11, 2012
Also, the CDC lists American Machine and Metals U.S. Gauge Division in East Moline, IL as an Atomic Weapons Employer. That facility was American Machine and Metals Troy Machinery Division, and the address is not valid. AM&M U.S. Gauge Division was in Sellersville. Other Sellersville businesses seemed to have IL "locations" at that time as well. Was just hoping someone could shed some light.
smiley

Sunbury, PA

#10 Oct 12, 2012
AWE226 wrote:
Not at all. Just trying to understand what all went down there. U.S. Gauge made gauges, so why did they need a second plant? And aerospace divisions typically are nuclear related, aren't they? Seems as though they did a lot of undisclosed uranium milling in Sellersville as well, leaving a lot of tailings behind. Built houses right on top, too. The arsenic in the water in this area is not so "naturally occurring," either. Is Ametek a GOC?
The second plant held a huge machine shop, paint room, assembly lines and of course the dial dept, shipping etc.
Obviously they needed the 2nd plant. The old bldg was tube mill(nasty beryllium over there) and small hand assembly, not line assembly. The old plant was where the automotive and fire extinguishers gauges were produced.

I had a close relative who worked in aerospace. There was no mention of nuclear anything involved in that dept.

I believe the area where the old uranium "painted" dial faces were assembled unto the gauges, was converted to the aerospace unit.

I heard talk of a dump located behind the plant #2. from a google map I can see that the old dump was in close proximity to a recently built housing development.
But ya know the dump was there before the homes...

If you want to point fingers, point them at the local governing body.
JAMES

Quakertown, PA

#11 Oct 12, 2012
It was a different world back then. You cannot impose todays rules and expectations on to the past. Yes, someone, somewhere knew this stuff was dangerous, but remember that the knowledge about the affects of these things weren't known to most people. Rules about exposure grew out of the the expanding knowledge. You cannot rewrite history based on todays concepts.
AWE226

United States

#12 Oct 12, 2012
Smiley, thanks for the info. James, those homes were built in 1990. There is no excuse for this to have happened. Environmental regulations aside, the standards here are baseline: fundamental concern for human life. There are no time-based restrictions on that.
JAMES

Quakertown, PA

#13 Oct 12, 2012
SORRY... WASN'T AWARE THAT IT WAS SO RECENT... THOUGHT WE WERE TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING OLDER.....
Quality Control

Quakertown, PA

#14 Oct 12, 2012
JAMES wrote:
It was a different world back then. You cannot impose todays rules and expectations on to the past. Yes, someone, somewhere knew this stuff was dangerous, but remember that the knowledge about the affects of these things weren't known to most people. Rules about exposure grew out of the the expanding knowledge. You cannot rewrite history based on todays concepts.
You hit the nail on the head. I worked there in the late 70's. It really was a different world back then in regards to haz=mat. Even in the late 70's the end was looming for the Sellersville plant. Much cheaper labor in Fla. and the Carolina's. Most of us were glad, lucky, and privledged to work at the Gauge. However, you really had to know somebody to get in. Unions were pretty solid back then. I hated it when I worked there (Age 19) but would give anthing to go back.
bethwhistler

Broomall, PA

#15 Oct 13, 2012
JAMES wrote:
It isn't a different world really. The industries continue to dump all kinds of toxins and chemicals into our environment and the government is aware of it and allows them to do it.

Look at the whole fracking mess. Livestock sick and dying and worse. The chemicals being dumped into our environment through this method of natural gas extraction will be the nightmare for future generations just as all the toxins of the 50's & 60's have been nightmares.

As long as money is being made and the right palms are being "greased" it will go on an on until the world comes to an end.
smiley

Sunbury, PA

#16 Oct 13, 2012
JAMES wrote:
Might be true in some cases but not all.
Read my past post about 2 men's horror stories.
Cancer of the brain, and disabling neurological conditions arent enough for the co. to say hey we have a serious problem here!
BS!

Nothing was done until the hand was forced to move.
smiley

Sunbury, PA

#17 Oct 13, 2012
Quality Control wrote:
<quoted text>
You hit the nail on the head. I worked there in the late 70's. It really was a different world back then in regards to haz=mat. Even in the late 70's the end was looming for the Sellersville plant. Much cheaper labor in Fla. and the Carolina's. Most of us were glad, lucky, and privledged to work at the Gauge. However, you really had to know somebody to get in. Unions were pretty solid back then. I hated it when I worked there (Age 19) but would give anthing to go back.
I wonder how much TCE u drank from those water fountains?
I recall visiting the plant for some sort of open house.
They had warning signs on all the water fountains.
Gee, little too late wouldnt ya say?
Quality Control

Quakertown, PA

#18 Oct 13, 2012
smiley wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder how much TCE u drank from those water fountains?
I recall visiting the plant for some sort of open house.
They had warning signs on all the water fountains.
Gee, little too late wouldnt ya say?
What in the world does that have to do with my post? Every body who worked in industry was exposed to something. Mercury, lead, asbestos, poor ventilation, no A/C, exposed wires. I'm just saying times have changed and for the better. I remember when fire companies used to wash gasoline, oil, glass and anti-freeze into the storm drains every time they were called to a wash down. It wasn't right but it's the way it was done.
smiley

Sunbury, PA

#19 Oct 13, 2012
Quality Control wrote:
<quoted text>
What in the world does that have to do with my post? Every body who worked in industry was exposed to something. Mercury, lead, asbestos, poor ventilation, no A/C, exposed wires. I'm just saying times have changed and for the better. I remember when fire companies used to wash gasoline, oil, glass and anti-freeze into the storm drains every time they were called to a wash down. It wasn't right but it's the way it was done.
Yes I understand.
BUT "knowing better" and neglecting to fix the problem is a different story.
Really you seem to be defending them for their wrongful actions.
Doesnt it bother u knowing that u drank a fair share of cancer causing TCE, or were exposed to it from the plant's degreasers or the huge spray and washer? Good possibility u were also exposed to Beryllium dust, which can lead to lung issues?
Quality Control

Quakertown, PA

#20 Oct 13, 2012
smiley wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I understand.
BUT "knowing better" and neglecting to fix the problem is a different story.
Really you seem to be defending them for their wrongful actions.
Doesnt it bother u knowing that u drank a fair share of cancer causing TCE, or were exposed to it from the plant's degreasers or the huge spray and washer? Good possibility u were also exposed to Beryllium dust, which can lead to lung issues?
Many of these problems were fixed, nation wide. OSHA got more pro-active and the average American knows that all they have to so is make a phone call and their place of employment (Where they draw their pay) will be investigated or fined. I said that the changes were for the better. Boy, other posters are right, you bitch, moan and disagree about everything. Why don't you file a class action suit against all of the volunteer fire companies for their "Wrongful actions" washing the above mentioned down into the storm drains, poluting local streams and tributaries?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coopersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Paul Stepanoff Needs to be Removed NOW! (Jul '14) 21 hr StupidIsAsStupidDoes 198
Bucks County News Feed (May '14) Thu Carphunter64 167
Opioid commercials are funny.... Jul 19 Fistocles 4
Sitting on your driveway (Aug '10) Jul 19 Enter Username 18
News Tamaqua man charged in stabbing Jul 19 People are dumb 5
The Q-Town Mural. Jul 18 Trey Gowdy 2
This town is so boring Jul 16 Trey Gowdy 14

Coopersburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Coopersburg Mortgages