First Prev
of 2
Next Last
robb

Trenton, NJ

#1 Aug 13, 2010
we had a fence installed by Helm Fencing (on Rt. 309 in Hatfield)about 3 years ago, and have had nothing but trouble with it since day 1. i was wondering if anyone else had similar problems?

our fence starting going all wavy a few months after it was installed and now the lattice on top keeps popping out and cannot even be put back because the posts have shifted so much.

i've had them out here about a dozen times over the years and they are always hard to get to come back out. i usually have to call them several times over the course of a few weeks before they come out. they've reset the footings, used rebar and done some other temporary fixes but the problems just continue. each day, i'm literally picking up pieces of the fence and trying to get them to come back.

in fact, several of the guys that came back to fix the fence have commented that they remember doing the job initially and that they "weren't able to dig down far enough" to install the fence, which is interesting since they charged us $1,000 extra because of the heavy digging/extra machinery they needed to bring in to complete the job.

now, they've stopped responding to my calls and just ignore me anytime i call. the last time i called (for the same problems we've experienced since the beginning) the owner wanted to charge me $200 plus cost of materials to come back. that's certainly not going to happen.

has anyone else had issues? if you are considering a fence company, i would highly recommend going elsewhere.
Fences

Quakertown, PA

#4 Aug 14, 2010
We had gotten quotes from Helm and Q-Fence in Telford, as well as County Line Fence in Warrington--all were VERY expensive. Then we found DP Fence from one of our neighbors and he was very reasonable.

Yes the posts heaved up in the winter, but that's to be expected in very wet, clay soil. So, in early spring, when the ground was still saturated, we went around with a 2x4 and an 8lb sledge hammer and tapped them all back in place. No problem.

You have to remember that ground heaves in the winter from the constant freeze/thaw cycle that we have.

Oh, and jejr, he used a small, compact, walk-behind auger. Really cool and worked well since we have loads of rocks underground.

robb, maybe you should take this issue to the BBB, especially since you said they couldn't dig down far enough.
Warning

Quakertown, PA

#5 Aug 14, 2010
I used fence city in Montgomeryville on 309 and they were very good to deal with. My fence in going on 5 years and still looks the same as it did when I bought it, though it is gray now due to it being cedar.
fencing

Quakertown, PA

#6 Aug 14, 2010
If its a quick augur job on the footing and they're too lazy to blow through the shale to set it below the frost line that's one big problem.

However, there's a second problem that affects postholes in heavy wet clay soils like ours that are susceptible to long freeze-thaw cycles. If you don't use inverted cone forms in a sufficiently deep hole when its augured to poor the concrete around the set post and backfill properly to "lock" it in, the freeze-thaw will otherwise slowly squeeze up and out the post like you would a watermelon seed.
junklover

Tappahannock, VA

#7 Aug 14, 2010
I used Q- fence and would use then again.
Remember , you get what you pay for
Disagree

Quakertown, PA

#8 Aug 14, 2010
junklover wrote:
I used Q- fence and would use then again.
Remember , you get what you pay for
No, you pay for overhead, just like you do with Helm, Woodlawn, and County Line.
doubtful

Quakertown, PA

#9 Aug 15, 2010
jejr wrote:
<quoted text>
p.s. hope they BOTH go outta business.....
Woodlawn fence has been there since I was a little kid in the 60's and I don't know how long before that!!!
Home owner

Quakertown, PA

#10 Aug 15, 2010
Helm fence did a great job for me and a a good price.
unhappy customer

New York, NY

#11 Sep 27, 2011
I dealt with Helm and they had no business ethic at all..each 'crew' that came out bad mouthed the other crews as well as the owner Pete. they never showed up if it drizzled the day before and they left our yard a mess for a week plus- its actually still got dirt/rock piles where each post went in. noone wanted to take ownership of their miscommunication and laziness- especially that secretary guy who always answered the phone- he actually got loud with me! they should re-look at their staffing and the way they work- i would NEVER recommend this company to anyone based on the crappy service we got. for the price, i would definitly go elsewhere. they installed a nice fence (so far) but for the service- not worth it.
Towner

Quakertown, PA

#12 Sep 27, 2011
Helm put in a white vinyl fence in around our pool about 8 yrs ago. They did a great job, they worked hard installing the posts in this rocky ground. Fence still looks great, never had a problem. Maybe it depends on the installer you get.
robb

Perkasie, PA

#13 Sep 30, 2011
it's been some time now, and as expected, helm stopped returning my phone calls and became rude with me the last time i called. they were looking for more money to come out to fix the problem that (as several of their crews admitted was never properly done in the first place)has existed from day one.

they were even looking for me to pay for materials to replace all of the now missing sidelight pieces of the lattice work that have popped out because the posts shift so much.

in the dozen times the company has been here, there were at least 4 different guys sent to fix the problem, so i have no idea how else to get them to fix the issue.

they certainly were not cheap. we had three price quotes for our fence and helm was in the middle and towards the higher end, but we thought if we paid more for quality and (a seemingly) qualified dealer, we would have better results. i guess not.

i do not expect there to not be issues or mistakes made, but, to me, their inefficiency, rudeness, delay tactics, and ineptitude, cause me to never use them again and recommend that all my neighbors go someplace else for all of their fencing.
southpark69

Quakertown, PA

#14 Sep 30, 2011
turn them into the BBB. Check the local district court to see how many times he has been sued and has judgements on him.

Did you sign a contract?

You could try taking him to small calms court.

My suggestion the next time you contact him would be via registered mail, return receipt requested.
Give him 10 days to respond. Then go to small claims court and sue for damages.

And keep copies of all letters you send to him.

Take pictures of the broken fence too.
get real

Tamaqua, PA

#15 Sep 30, 2011
southpark69 wrote:
turn them into the BBB. Check the local district court to see how many times he has been sued and has judgements on him.
Did you sign a contract?
My suggestion the next time you contact him would be via registered mail, return receipt requested.
BBB cannot nor will not get involved if he is not a member.
Furthermore, basedon my limited exp I had with them as far as addressing complaints they suck Decision fell in favor the business "perp".
contractor

Souderton, PA

#16 Sep 30, 2011
Use 10 inch forms next time that go below the frost line. Will cost you more money in concrete but the wider the form the harder it is for it to move.
Dont hire Helm Fencing

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Dec 8, 2012
robb wrote:
we had a fence installed by Helm Fencing (on Rt. 309 in Hatfield)about 3 years ago, and have had nothing but trouble with it since day 1. i was wondering if anyone else had similar problems?
our fence starting going all wavy a few months after it was installed and now the lattice on top keeps popping out and cannot even be put back because the posts have shifted so much.
i've had them out here about a dozen times over the years and they are always hard to get to come back out. i usually have to call them several times over the course of a few weeks before they come out. they've reset the footings, used rebar and done some other temporary fixes but the problems just continue. each day, i'm literally picking up pieces of the fence and trying to get them to come back.
in fact, several of the guys that came back to fix the fence have commented that they remember doing the job initially and that they "weren't able to dig down far enough" to install the fence, which is interesting since they charged us $1,000 extra because of the heavy digging/extra machinery they needed to bring in to complete the job.
now, they've stopped responding to my calls and just ignore me anytime i call. the last time i called (for the same problems we've experienced since the beginning) the owner wanted to charge me $200 plus cost of materials to come back. that's certainly not going to happen.
has anyone else had issues? if you are considering a fence company, i would highly recommend going elsewhere.
Had problems too-Just had them install and they put in wrong place! Then Forman threw phone when told to move fence! Rock charge outrageous and everytime we asked them to follow the contract they wanted to charge us more money!!! They can not even give proper estimate nor follow their own change order contract! Made us pay $600 for rocks or would not finish fence! Then sent us bill for $200 in removal fees and they did not take old cement just old wood! Voided our warrenty and are threatening collection action !! Gate broke the first time used! DON'T USE HELM EVER!!!!!
Dont hire Helm Fencing

Philadelphia, PA

#18 Dec 8, 2012
Had problems too-Just had them install and they put in wrong place! Then Forman threw phone when told to move fence! Rock charge outrageous and everytime we asked them to follow the contract they wanted to charge us more money!!! They can not even give proper estimate nor follow their own change order contract! Made us pay $600 for rocks or would not finish fence! Then sent us bill for $200 in removal fees and they did not take old cement just old wood! Voided our warrenty and are threatening collection action !! Gate broke the first time used! DON'T USE HELM EVER!!!!!
OMG

Lansdale, PA

#19 Dec 8, 2012
southpark69 wrote:
Did you sign a contract?
Taking advise from this dimwit is like asking a dog how to climb a tree.
DO NOT USE HELM FENCING

Philadelphia, PA

#20 Jan 23, 2013
Unprofessional,Incompetent,Arg umentative!
Easy job they turned into hard! Fences put off property lines and gate broke!
More interested in arguing then doing a good job!
Forman throws phone and tools!
Changed contract amount twice on us and told us they would leave job half done incorrectly if we did not pay crazy rock charges!
Tons of stress not needed!
BAD BAD BUSINESS DO NOT USE!!!
Weed

Hatfield, PA

#21 Jan 24, 2013
southpark69 wrote:
Did you sign a contract?
I thought everyone knew about the BBB. They're a profit making company, and that's all they care about. They try to "resolve" issue by listening to both sides of the story and then take the side of the member company. If they can't do that, they'll declare the case "unresolved". If a company isn't a member, they try to sign them up for a membership. They make their money from member company fees.

You can file in small claims court, but if you win and they don't pay, you have to hire a lawyer and take it to the next level.
Huh

Quakertown, PA

#22 Jan 24, 2013
Weed wrote:
<quoted text>I thought everyone knew about the BBB. They're a profit making company, and that's all they care about. They try to "resolve" issue by listening to both sides of the story and then take the side of the member company. If they can't do that, they'll declare the case "unresolved". If a company isn't a member, they try to sign them up for a membership. They make their money from member company fees.
You can file in small claims court, but if you win and they don't pay, you have to hire a lawyer and take it to the next level.
Smokin too many blunts???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coopersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Staats - Chellew Debate Oct. 20, 7pm Qtown Mich... 17 hr Question 101
Casey's Bakery Tue BGG22 2
Giant supermarket self checkout? (Jan '14) Mon LGK 30
Downtown Dogs Dec 22 stardog1960 14
A Plus Family Dental Dec 22 Stardog 1960 22
Brew pub in Dimmig Building (May '14) Dec 19 ITS STEP ONE 49
Ametek U.S. Gauge (Jul '12) Dec 19 b9 b9 b9 b9 121

Coopersburg News Video

Coopersburg Dating
Find my Match