toilet smells of sewer gas

Posted in the Coopersburg Forum

wondering

Thornton, PA

#1 Oct 22, 2011
We moved to the area & I was wondering if there is a reason my upstairs toilet always has a smell of sewer gas when you lift up the lid.
I also have noticed a oily film on the water & if I don't scrub it every day we have a blackish buildup starting in the bowl.
Please don't answer if you don't know, I really need to find out why this is happening.
TimeMatters

Quakertown, PA

#2 Oct 22, 2011
I'm guessing the seal is bad ... call a plumber.
same here

Perkasie, PA

#3 Oct 22, 2011
I get the same thing. I don't know if the black buildup is from human waste or because the toilet water does not rinse the whole bowl when flushing. either way it is disgusting
Grumpy

Chester, PA

#4 Oct 22, 2011
wondering wrote:
We moved to the area & I was wondering if there is a reason my upstairs toilet always has a smell of sewer gas when you lift up the lid.
I also have noticed a oily film on the water & if I don't scrub it every day we have a blackish buildup starting in the bowl.
Please don't answer if you don't know, I really need to find out why this is happening.
If you have a well you may have a lot of iron and manganeese in your water, which will give the black residue. Look in the tank.
Some well water around quakertown also has sulfur which will give you an odor of rotten eggs. The odor is more likely to come from the hot water. You may have to get some water treatment equipment installed.
huh

Quakertown, PA

#5 Oct 22, 2011
You'll also want to see if the vent stack to the roof is blocked, or if there's a horizontal section in the attic filled with water. It has to be pitched down toward the drain to eliminate any water that comes in from the rain. T
SadFace

Quakertown, PA

#7 Oct 22, 2011
I have quakertown water and have no toilet issues.

The wax seal does not have anything to do with sewer gases coming up the pipes. Tidy bowl tabs never smell like sulfur, they will turn into a gelatinous mess though.

Always check the back of your tank to make sure it isnt the water causing the issue. If you have black mildew in the back of the tank, drain it, clean it out and put a bleach toilet tab in the back. Normal use should and the tabs should take care of the mildew.

the mildew will cause a smell and put a film on the water, especially if the toilet is not used often.
wondering

Thornton, PA

#8 Oct 23, 2011
huh wrote:
You'll also want to see if the vent stack to the roof is blocked, or if there's a horizontal section in the attic filled with water. It has to be pitched down toward the drain to eliminate any water that comes in from the rain. T
Vent stack? Do I need to look in the attic or go up on the roof?
This sounds like it may be our problem, but not sure where to look.
Thanks in advance for the great advice.
wondering

Thornton, PA

#9 Oct 23, 2011
Thanks for all the feedback.
My water is thru Trumbauersville & sewer is Milford/Trumbauersville.
I don't have mold in the water tank, just that gross black stuff around the bowl & oily film. Even if I clean it everyday & flush everytime it still smells like sewer gas ( I know what this smells like, hubby is a turd herder (operator) at a sewer plant).
Replaced the seal a year ago.
The vent stack sounds like a good start, just don't know where to find it or what to look for.
Thanks again for positive feedback, we need more of this on Topix.
SadFace

Quakertown, PA

#11 Oct 23, 2011
jejr wrote:
<quoted text>
they do smell like sulfur. I had it happen. Thank you for your miss information.
unless sewer gas penetrated your wax seal, which is highly unlikely, it doesnt happen. it would have to a 50 year old seal and you would have smelled it long before you decided to replace it.

I would be willing to guess that the smell you smells was coming from the pipe rather than the wax seal.

and misinformation is spelled that way. one word not two. Miss information would be a person.
Shelley

Woodstock, Canada

#12 Jan 31, 2013
I just flushed the toilet in the basement and I can smell a sulfur smell then I went into the laundry room and noticed quite abit of smelly nasty water with what a pears to be toilet paper in a muddy water come up from the drain in the laundry room does anyone know what and why this has happened???
corey

Quakertown, PA

#13 Jan 31, 2013
Your sewer backed up and it will contine to do so.
Call your insurance company.
Aimee

Allentown, PA

#14 Jan 31, 2013
Shelley wrote:
I just flushed the toilet in the basement and I can smell a sulfur smell then I went into the laundry room and noticed quite abit of smelly nasty water with what a pears to be toilet paper in a muddy water come up from the drain in the laundry room does anyone know what and why this has happened???
Call a plumber, you have a clog from the outside.
I had the same thing happen, they snaked the line out front & all was well.
Shelley

Woodstock, Canada

#15 Jan 31, 2013
thanks a lot I will call the city last time it happened a main water line was cracked so I will try them first... :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coopersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Casey's Bakery 11 hr Curious 3
Elaine Powers Figure Salon... (Sep '12) Thu Janeelanee 6
Staats - Chellew Debate Oct. 20, 7pm Qtown Mich... Dec 24 Question 101
Giant supermarket self checkout? (Jan '14) Dec 22 LGK 30
Downtown Dogs Dec 22 stardog1960 14
A Plus Family Dental Dec 22 Stardog 1960 22
Brew pub in Dimmig Building (May '14) Dec 19 ITS STEP ONE 49

Coopersburg News Video

Coopersburg Dating
Find my Match