Best Neighborhood In the Quakertown a...

Best Neighborhood In the Quakertown area?

Created by SaraSmile on Jan 3, 2008

424 votes

Click on an option to vote

Brayton Gardens (1 and 2)

Hunters Crossing

Academy Place

Sweetbriar

Tollgate Landing

Spring Meadow Estates

Streamview Estates

Parkside Estates

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
SaraSmile

Tuckerton, NJ

#1 Jan 3, 2008
We have been shopping the area for quite a while now and have our hearts set on this neighborhood. Just wondering what others think about the other neighborhoods we considered. We chose Brayton Gardens for the lot sizes, house construction (2 X 6 frames instead of 2 X 4) and the feeling we got driving through the neighborhood. It really seems like a true "front porch" community where people wave hello just because they see you! We took a walk down the nature trails and that pretty much sealed the deal. Before we make our final decision I'd love to see input from the area!
Open Mind

Roseland, NJ

#2 Jan 4, 2008
If you want a "front porch" community, try one of the older homes on penrose street in Quakertown. Its a quiet neighborhood, they have a block party and its truly a Norman Rockwell portrait.
Bob

Perryman, MD

#4 Jan 4, 2008
The new developements are often slopped together in a few weeks. SaraSmile, they may have 2x6 studs, but probably spaced apart farther than in an old sturdy house. It is about how many homes can be built in the shortest time with the least amount of materials, of course passing codes, but the minimal requirements to pass the building regulations and codes.

The older style homes inside the borough are nice. Drive around the borough and look at some of the architecture. You will be amazed what you see when you look up a little bit. The design and architecture is very nice.

Now if we could get rid of some of the slumlords, there would be more properties to buy in the downtown and properties could be repaired to show the true architectural identity and beauty of the older homes and buildings.

This will come soon enough
SaraSmile

Tuckerton, NJ

#5 Jan 4, 2008
I agree with you all that the homes in the borough are beautiful. One of the reasons we chose Quakertown is because it has such a nice center of town. However, after owning a 100 year old home for long enough, my husband and I are ready for a new house, under warranty, with a nice big yard! We've definitley done our builder research to see who built which houses, and although THP puts out some really tacky advertising, they do make quality houses. Definitely a matter of taste when you are choosing between the two but I do think whether you choose the borough or a new neighborhood you can't lose. It's a great area. Thanks for your input!
Open Mind

Roseland, NJ

#6 Jan 4, 2008
The borough has been on the rise since the manager left. They have many new programs and is managed very nicely. The borough workers are happy, the pool is great and they are adding to the park system. The senior center will be re-built, and from what I understand, they are getting a streetlight makeover. They have a brand new restaurant in town that has the best clam chowder in the world! A few more businesses in town like a decent gift and coffee shop and you will be able to walk downtown for everything you need. All they need to do is pass that landlord thing, and get rid of the Bush House.
Tommy

Philadelphia, PA

#8 Jan 4, 2008
We love it here in Quakertown. Amazing history, very charming Victorian era Inns and Restaurants and homes, and I love the fact that they hid the Liberty Bell here. Older homes are amazing, architecture is stunning. But then drive to the outskirts of town and there are miles of gorgeous new communities and open spaces. So you can choose between historical homes and new construction depending on your preference.

Some folks prefer the older style homes but certainly not for everyone. I appreciate the sentiment that craftsmanship isn't what it used to be, but certainly many new homes are built well and have alot to offer. Different strokes.

We live in Brayton Gardens II and it is absolutely the best community in Quakertown. 200 homes, so many families with children you won't believe it, like you say everyone smiles and waves when you walk by (it's in the handbook.) Safe. Great parents, good kids, quality people everywhere. We have over 100 acres of nature trails, bicycle paths, ponds, and open space (not to mention sidewalks on both sides of the street and the community backs up to a farm!) No HOA.

Homes are quality construction, very well built. Giant basements. Lots are spaced apart, yards are enormous, and kids have plenty of space to play and have fun. Most homes have about a half acre, very tough to find in this price range (we have almost an acre!) Taxes are much less than some of those communities up by the schools.

Our sons are 5 & 7 - they have so many friends right on our street (ALL of our neighbors have young children) Reminds me of my old neighborhood - walk out the back door and next thing you know there's 10 kids playing a pickup game of football or wiffle ball.

Good luck Sara - you're making a great choice, hope everything works out!
Red Sam

Line Lexington, PA

#9 Jan 4, 2008
Older homes have character, and are energy efficient. Unlike the tacky Mcmansions sprouting in Milford and Richland. I would like local government to start regulating the size of housing. American families are becoming smaller, yet houses are becoming bigger. It's such a waste.
THPoop

Sellersville, PA

#10 Jan 4, 2008
SaraSmile wrote:
We have been shopping the area for quite a while now and have our hearts set on this neighborhood. Just wondering what others think about the other neighborhoods we considered. We chose Brayton Gardens for the lot sizes, house construction (2 X 6 frames instead of 2 X 4) and the feeling we got driving through the neighborhood. It really seems like a true "front porch" community where people wave hello just because they see you! We took a walk down the nature trails and that pretty much sealed the deal. Before we make our final decision I'd love to see input from the area!
First of all, if you live at either end of BGII, you either have to drive or hike to get your mail from the central mailbox location (wouldn't go there at night..). Same goes for Spring Meadow and Acadamy Place. There may be others. You may as well live in Richlandtown as they have to go to the Post Office to get their mail!

They may be 'new' homes, but are built as quickly and "economically" as possible. You are NOT, and I repeat NOT getting a well-constructed home like you would from a custom builder or an historic home. There are MANY homes from the 70's along Hillcrest Road in Milford that were built by Lewis and Son...and, even though they are 30+ years old, they are far better constructed than what THP, Judd, Ryan, et. al. can build...bar none.

As for the "front porch community," that all wears off after you're there a few years and you hardly see your neighbors anymore...or they finally show their true colors and one day you have a bunch of wackos next door.

If you want information on the "nature trails" as you call them, or "driveways" as I call them...just talk to a few residents of Hunter's Crossing on Mill Rd. They had a "love nest" on a secluded section of their trails, and possibly that's how a few creeps who broke into several cars and attempted a home invasion got out of the development. They also have gangs of hoods on bikes coming over from the slum on Hickory Drive behind the Grundy House riding all over the trails and leaving trash in their wake.

Take off your rose-colored glasses--these trails are just easy access to undesirables.

Again, as the other posters have stated, look into one of the older, much better built homes in Qtown Borough.

I hope I have given you something to think about...
THPoop

Sellersville, PA

#11 Jan 4, 2008
SaraSmile wrote:
I agree with you all that the homes in the borough are beautiful. One of the reasons we chose Quakertown is because it has such a nice center of town. However, after owning a 100 year old home for long enough, my husband and I are ready for a new house, under warranty, with a nice big yard! We've definitley done our builder research to see who built which houses, and although THP puts out some really tacky advertising, they do make quality houses. Definitely a matter of taste when you are choosing between the two but I do think whether you choose the borough or a new neighborhood you can't lose. It's a great area. Thanks for your input!
THPoop, Judd, Ryan; they're all the same. They build junk. You want a warranty? It's only good for a year! After that, you're stuck with the junk that you bought and have to live with it.

You stand a much better chance working with a custom builder than one who puts up cookie cutter McMansions like THPoop. I know several THPoop homeowners from several of their developments, and they have had their fair share of nightmares just like the other builders in the area.

Look at it this way, you more than likely have plaster walls in your home now. They are much better than drywall!
THPoop

Sellersville, PA

#12 Jan 4, 2008
Tommy wrote:
We love it here in Quakertown. Amazing history, very charming Victorian era Inns and Restaurants and homes, and I love the fact that they hid the Liberty Bell here. Older homes are amazing, architecture is stunning. But then drive to the outskirts of town and there are miles of gorgeous new communities and open spaces. So you can choose between historical homes and new construction depending on your preference.
Some folks prefer the older style homes but certainly not for everyone. I appreciate the sentiment that craftsmanship isn't what it used to be, but certainly many new homes are built well and have alot to offer. Different strokes.
We live in Brayton Gardens II and it is absolutely the best community in Quakertown. 200 homes, so many families with children you won't believe it, like you say everyone smiles and waves when you walk by (it's in the handbook.) Safe. Great parents, good kids, quality people everywhere. We have over 100 acres of nature trails, bicycle paths, ponds, and open space (not to mention sidewalks on both sides of the street and the community backs up to a farm!) No HOA.
Homes are quality construction, very well built. Giant basements. Lots are spaced apart, yards are enormous, and kids have plenty of space to play and have fun. Most homes have about a half acre, very tough to find in this price range (we have almost an acre!) Taxes are much less than some of those communities up by the schools.
Our sons are 5 & 7 - they have so many friends right on our street (ALL of our neighbors have young children) Reminds me of my old neighborhood - walk out the back door and next thing you know there's 10 kids playing a pickup game of football or wiffle ball.
Good luck Sara - you're making a great choice, hope everything works out!
See my post,#10. Hunter's crossing's trail will eventually be connected to yours as well!

Hey, they had an early 20-something drive through on a bike, trying to get dates from two of the homeowner's (one 40's, one 60's). He was looking for a quick way to go to a 'business' on 309. These ladies reported this to Richland police, and while the officer was there talking to them, our young Romeo came back through on his bike, after having bought a bag of porn dvd's from Adult World...and he rode through YOUR wonderful development to get there!

Hey...that's right, you have an exit that goes right next to the porn shop...nice "family neighborhood!"

Tommy, how much are your taxes?$5000+/-?
Paulie

Tuckerton, NJ

#13 Jan 4, 2008
What a bizarre list of agendas here!

Take the time to walk through one of these neighborhoods and ask the residents what they think. After taking the time to smile and chat with you they'd laugh you right out to the turnpike at the idea of downgrading to a home built in the 1970's.

Any time you build 100 homes at a time there are going to be snags and complaints, but eventually they get resolved. Some people who buy new homes expect the builder to come out for 50 years and do basic maintenance - it's ridiculous. But that doesn't constitute a nightmare.

We've had *no* problems with our new home, and the MAJORITY of people who use these builders are THRILLED with their home and their service.

People are moving IN to these new communities and there is a real demand for more homes like these for a reason. And when people leave, I doubt many are rushing out saying "I better go get a 100 year old home!" They buy new again (I would!)
Quakertown Citizen

Bethlehem, PA

#14 Jan 5, 2008
SaraSmile wrote:
I agree with you all that the homes in the borough are beautiful. One of the reasons we chose Quakertown is because it has such a nice center of town. However, after owning a 100 year old home for long enough, my husband and I are ready for a new house, under warranty, with a nice big yard! We've definitley done our builder research to see who built which houses, and although THP puts out some really tacky advertising, they do make quality houses.
Definitely a matter of taste when you are choosing between the two but I do think whether you choose the borough or a new neighborhood you can't lose. It's a great area. Thanks for your input!
JUST REMEMBER THE WARRANTY IS ONLY GOOD FOR A FEW YEARS. WE OWNED ONE OF THE NEW HOMES AND SOLD IT (DUE TO MANY PROBLEMS) AND MOVED INTO AN OLDER HOME DOWNTOWN AND HAVE NEVERED LOOKED BACK. WE HAVE HAD LESS PROBLEMS WITH A 140 YEAR OLD HOME THEN WE DID WITH OUR NEW HOME. GOOD LUCK.
Slums

Collegeville, PA

#15 Jan 5, 2008
THPoop wrote:
<quoted text>
They also have gangs of hoods on bikes coming over from the slum on Hickory Drive behind the Grundy House riding all over the trails and leaving trash in their wake.
Take off your rose-colored glasses--these trails are just easy access to undesirables.
Again, as the other posters have stated, look into one of the older, much better built homes in Qtown Borough.
I hope I have given you something to think about...
your comments are disrespectful to people that have lived here much longer than you. Just because you move in to your fancy home, doesnt give you the right to call the homes behind Grundy "slums" or "undesirables."
I'm quite sure I've lived here much longer than you (22 years) in what you call the "slum"
We have a property and we take care of the property, are a good neighbor and live respecting others, their properties and contribute to the community. Sure, since I've moved in there 20 years ago, the tightness of being a starter development for families and togetherness of the developement has passed, I've watched good people, good neighbors come and ago and some sour grapes that make the whole developement look bad. But there are some great neighbors who I'm sure are'nt as snobby, rude and will do anything for you if you needed help.
I've seen these developements pop up all around Quakertown, and you ride around in your mercedes thinking you are above everyone else because you live in a big house. In fact, all of who have moved into these developements have contributed to more traffic, including cutting through "the slums" developement - which you called it to go shopping at the other end of 309. How about i drive through your developement or cut through your street to go to the other side.
So before you go and critized and lump all people or homes into a slum...get to know some of the original people in the community.
Makes me sick you think you are above all because of your nice new home. Maybe we should call all of you rich snobs?! These people who live along Hickory Drive are very kind people and would give you the shirt of their backs or a nice cup of hot tea if your mercedes broke down if you ever cut through the "slums" as a shortcut to the other side of 309.
Choose what you say wisely!
Paulie

Tuckerton, NJ

#16 Jan 5, 2008
Slums - THPoop is anti Quakertown, not just your neighborhood. And his comments are disrespectful to everyone in Quakertown, including the people who have chosen to become part of the community in the new neighborhoods.

I live in one of the new developments in Quakertown. I'm hardly a rich snob and I don't drive a mercedes. We moved here because we wanted our children to live in an area with good people and family values. YOU and everyone on Hickory Drive are part of the good people I want influencing my kids lives as they grow. Please don't judge me because I live in a big house - I work hard, struggle to pay bills, and want the best for my children and family just like you do. The best town in Bucks was built by you and the folks who grew up here, we just want to be part of it.

The new developments foster the same sense of community and tightness you enjoyed when you moved here, and we also have amazing neighbors who will do anything for you and with respect for everyone.

qtown lifer

Coplay, PA

#17 Jan 5, 2008
Slums wrote:
<quoted text>
your comments are disrespectful to people that have lived here much longer than you. Just because you move in to your fancy home, doesnt give you the right to call the homes behind Grundy "slums" or "undesirables."
I'm quite sure I've lived here much longer than you (22 years) in what you call the "slum"
We have a property and we take care of the property, are a good neighbor and live respecting others, their properties and contribute to the community. Sure, since I've moved in there 20 years ago, the tightness of being a starter development for families and togetherness of the developement has passed, I've watched good people, good neighbors come and ago and some sour grapes that make the whole developement look bad. But there are some great neighbors who I'm sure are'nt as snobby, rude and will do anything for you if you needed help.
I've seen these developements pop up all around Quakertown, and you ride around in your mercedes thinking you are above everyone else because you live in a big house. In fact, all of who have moved into these developements have contributed to more traffic, including cutting through "the slums" developement - which you called it to go shopping at the other end of 309. How about i drive through your developement or cut through your street to go to the other side.
So before you go and critized and lump all people or homes into a slum...get to know some of the original people in the community.
Makes me sick you think you are above all because of your nice new home. Maybe we should call all of you rich snobs?! These people who live along Hickory Drive are very kind people and would give you the shirt of their backs or a nice cup of hot tea if your mercedes broke down if you ever cut through the "slums" as a shortcut to the other side of 309.
Choose what you say wisely!
Very Well Said! My family has owned a house behind the Grundy House since 1977. There are still a hand full of original owners who live back there and take pride in their homes. Can you believe that one of them were listed on the Properties of Merit (Dewsbury Lane)?

I myself cannot stand these people moving here into these $300,000 homes and actually have the balls to rip the area apart. I just can't wait until all their floors start to bow, nails pop and moldings start to gap in the next 10 years because of the crappy construction.

Instead of buying new construction, why not 'go green' and rehab one of the older homes in town? You are probably going to pay about the same price you would have buying new and you will save yourself in taxes. Oh that's right, that's not 'keeping up with the Jone's'.

POSERS
THPoop

Sellersville, PA

#18 Jan 5, 2008
Slums wrote:
<quoted text>
your comments are disrespectful to people that have lived here much longer than you. Just because you move in to your fancy home, doesnt give you the right to call the homes behind Grundy "slums" or "undesirables."
I'm quite sure I've lived here much longer than you (22 years) in what you call the "slum"
We have a property and we take care of the property, are a good neighbor and live respecting others, their properties and contribute to the community. Sure, since I've moved in there 20 years ago, the tightness of being a starter development for families and togetherness of the developement has passed, I've watched good people, good neighbors come and ago and some sour grapes that make the whole developement look bad. But there are some great neighbors who I'm sure are'nt as snobby, rude and will do anything for you if you needed help.
I've seen these developements pop up all around Quakertown, and you ride around in your mercedes thinking you are above everyone else because you live in a big house. In fact, all of who have moved into these developements have contributed to more traffic, including cutting through "the slums" developement - which you called it to go shopping at the other end of 309. How about i drive through your developement or cut through your street to go to the other side.
So before you go and critized and lump all people or homes into a slum...get to know some of the original people in the community.
Makes me sick you think you are above all because of your nice new home. Maybe we should call all of you rich snobs?! These people who live along Hickory Drive are very kind people and would give you the shirt of their backs or a nice cup of hot tea if your mercedes broke down if you ever cut through the "slums" as a shortcut to the other side of 309.
Choose what you say wisely!
First of all, I've lived here MUCH longer than you; 42 years! I am indiginous to Quakertown. I was born in Quakertown Community Hospital. I don't live in a "fancy home." I live in one of those better built homes from the 70's. I don't drive a Mercedes, but a 10 year old Ford.

As for the 'undesirables;' I see these kids hanging out on the street at 10 or 11 at night when I go to visit a friend in your neighborhood. They talk of the neighbors having drug parties and can't wait until they can move out. I actually have pity for the original owners of these homes. I remember when they were first built, as my piano teacher lived there. They were nice. But since then, you'll have to admit, you've certainly got some trouble with some neighbors.

I brought up the issues in hunters crossing as I have friends who live there and tell me what goes on. I've been on their "trails" and have seen the "love nest" that was there. Disgusting. If you look at the world through rose colored glasses, these trails are a great idea, but in reality, they just attract undesirable behavior. We can thank Mrs. Patricia Keller of Richland Township for that!

We can thank the vast influx of people into these "bedroom communities" for the traffic nightmare on 309 and increased school taxes.
old homes stink

Bethlehem, PA

#19 Jan 5, 2008
I moved here 6 years ago . I love the community spirit of Quakertown. I like the parks and the pool and for the most part people are friendly.
I bought a home in town that was built in the 1860's thinking old houses were cool
Never again.
Old houses equal 2 things. Lots and Lots of work and lots and lots of money. Every small repair turns into a major project.I do not know alot of my neighbors because the streets are so busy that no one sits in front of their house for you to talk to. Do not let these old timers fool you it is not the perfect picture they paint. The borough is raising the utilities yearly and trust me old houses are Not energy efficient.
I wish I had the money to move to a community with a new house, less traffic, and a culdesac for my kids to play in. That is actually one of our goals.
old homes stink

Bethlehem, PA

#20 Jan 5, 2008
Oh yeah before someone says I should have had the home inspected, I did . My house is not rundown in any sense of the word either nor was it when I bought it.
Inquiring mind

Irvington, NJ

#21 Jan 5, 2008
Open Mind wrote:
The borough has been on the rise since the manager left. They have many new programs and is managed very nicely. The borough workers are happy, the pool is great and they are adding to the park system. The senior center will be re-built, and from what I understand, they are getting a streetlight makeover. They have a brand new restaurant in town that has the best clam chowder in the world! A few more businesses in town like a decent gift and coffee shop and you will be able to walk downtown for everything you need. All they need to do is pass that landlord thing, and get rid of the Bush House.

How twisted and closed minded you are. Most of the positive attributes you refer to are ones started during Q-towns past managers tenure or problems that came into being after he left. He was hounded into early retirement by that alleged columnist Woldow. The one with a record of multiple child mollestations. That landlord thing you refer to has widely been recognized as a racist initiative and what do you propose doing with the historic Bush House?
The Q-town area is a wonderful place to live as long as you mind your own business, don't get involved and don't cross any members of either of the two Christian cults that run this area. Enjoy.
bob

Collegeville, PA

#22 Jan 5, 2008
Inquiring mind wrote:
<quoted text>
How twisted and closed minded you are. Most of the positive attributes you refer to are ones started during Q-towns past managers tenure or problems that came into being after he left. He was hounded into early retirement by that alleged columnist Woldow. The one with a record of multiple child mollestations. That landlord thing you refer to has widely been recognized as a racist initiative and what do you propose doing with the historic Bush House?
The Q-town area is a wonderful place to live as long as you mind your own business, don't get involved and don't cross any members of either of the two Christian cults that run this area. Enjoy.
the landlord ordinance is not racist. Many cities across the country have implemented one and it has been extremely successful? Safety has nothing to do with Racism. What are you talking about?! The borough wants to clean up problem places such as what used to be 44 Front street where heavy mold, faulty electrical wires, filth and rodent infiltration and fire hazards along with drugs was an issue.

That place was cleaned up and now look at it! I would say that was a success and it will continue being successful just like the hundreds or even thousands of other municipalities have implemented. Look around before you make such staements about "Racism" It has everything to do with safety and the welfare of people and protecting properties than it will ever have to do with racism

Cant wait to clean house!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coopersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Richland Meadows (May '09) Sat Jennifer 29
Tim Arnold Richland Township supervisor Apr 29 UMadBro 16
TVES Principal Apr 28 Welcome to 2016 6
Wegmans rumor Apr 28 MeHawsome 13
A store they really need in Quakertown...Harbor... (Mar '10) Apr 28 Resident 12
Ark of the Covenant in Bucks County? (Feb '13) Apr 27 Sol Silver 11
News Horror Story Reported by Patient of Local Quake... (Feb '08) Apr 25 Tired of it all 137
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Coopersburg Mortgages