First Prev
of 3
Next Last
the higher road

Quakertown, PA

#1 Mar 5, 2013
All doors in any school should be locked from the inside and the public should only be able to enter ONLY the front door after being buzzed in by the front desk staff. Doors should be opened in cases of emergency from the inside for evacuations from the building. There are procedures that are followed for fire alarms, etc.

If the secretary needs to step away, a sign should be displayed on the door informing the public when the secretary will be back. A bathroom break shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes. An alternative staff person/aide could cover the desk when the secretary takes her lunch break.

Doors should NEVER be propped open. Someone should monitor entrances when students are arriving and leaving - the school receptionist/secretary, a teacher, an aide or other designated staff person. This would be for the safety of ALL in the school building.
Tired

Hatfield, PA

#2 Mar 6, 2013
the higher road wrote:
All doors in any school should be locked from the inside and the public should only be able to enter ONLY the front door after being buzzed in by the front desk staff. Doors should be opened in cases of emergency from the inside for evacuations from the building. There are procedures that are followed for fire alarms, etc.
If the secretary needs to step away, a sign should be displayed on the door informing the public when the secretary will be back. A bathroom break shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes. An alternative staff person/aide could cover the desk when the secretary takes her lunch break.
Doors should NEVER be propped open. Someone should monitor entrances when students are arriving and leaving - the school receptionist/secretary, a teacher, an aide or other designated staff person. This would be for the safety of ALL in the school building.
We should also have well trained armed guards at every door. This would stop nuts with automatic weapons and they'd have to target school buses with a lot less kids to kill.
Jersey Duke

Quakertown, PA

#3 Mar 6, 2013
The nut in Newtown broke in.
weaver

Lansdale, PA

#4 Mar 6, 2013
Tired wrote:
<quoted text>We should also have well trained armed guards at every door. This would stop nuts with automatic weapons and they'd have to target school buses with a lot less kids to kill.
I agree with higher road, and every school I know if is following this template. I highly disagree about armed guards. I do not think guns have any place in our schools.
Jersey Duke

Quakertown, PA

#5 Mar 6, 2013
weaver wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with higher road, and every school I know if is following this template. I highly disagree about armed guards. I do not think guns have any place in our schools.
So a nut comes along and shoots the secretary and has a free pass to kill everyone else in the school. Good solution weaver!
PAT

Quakertown, PA

#6 Mar 6, 2013
but don't raise my taxes to install all these protective measures. REALLY?
Dumpster Baby

Quakertown, PA

#7 Mar 6, 2013
If you want safer schools just hang a few signs. "Gun Free Zone" should suffice. Oh and pass a bunch of meaningless new laws.
Common sense

Quakertown, PA

#8 Mar 6, 2013
That's not going to make schools 'safer', that's just going to give people the illusion that they're doing something.
Get real

Quakertown, PA

#9 Mar 6, 2013
PAT wrote:
but don't raise my taxes to install all these protective measures. REALLY?
Excuse Me
You really don't think our children are worth it?
Dumpster Baby

Quakertown, PA

#10 Mar 6, 2013
Common sense wrote:
That's not going to make schools 'safer', that's just going to give people the illusion that they're doing something.
Check your sarcasm meter it must be broken.
Common sense

Quakertown, PA

#11 Mar 6, 2013
@Dump - not you, the original post.
Get real

Quakertown, PA

#12 Mar 6, 2013
Here's and idea
If you want to talk safety concerns group together as parents and go to the school board.
Please do not mention school names and the concerns here online.
It is an open invite to a nut job.
dbar

Perkasie, PA

#13 Mar 6, 2013
Tired wrote:
<quoted text>We should also have well trained armed guards at every door. This would stop nuts with automatic weapons and they'd have to target school buses with a lot less kids to kill.
then you need

http://www.thearmourgroup.com/pages/runner.ht...

300k a pop,max 40 passengers

standard school bus

80 to 95k a pop max 66 passengers.

also do not forget the bullet proof vests for each student.
plus helmets.
so do raise school taxes or add a tax to every weapon and ammo sold to pay for the improvements?
Inquiring Mind

North Wales, PA

#14 Mar 6, 2013
dbar wrote:
<quoted text>
then you need
http://www.thearmourgroup.com/pages/runner.ht...
300k a pop,max 40 passengers
standard school bus
80 to 95k a pop max 66 passengers.
also do not forget the bullet proof vests for each student.
plus helmets.
so do raise school taxes or add a tax to every weapon and ammo sold to pay for the improvements?
Exaggerate much? Why not start with armed guards and go from there?
We used to have them at my high school (probably still do). Many city schools have a full-time police presence. It's not a revolutionary idea from the NRA as some folks would have you think. Celebrities' and politicians' children are well-guarded, why not ours? Create jobs and make schools safer at the same time.

Another good idea? Bulletproof glass on classroom doors. I think most parents would agree to consider higher taxes in the context of other necessary expenditures. It's something that shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.
dbar

Perkasie, PA

#15 Mar 6, 2013
Inquiring Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
Exaggerate much? Why not start with armed guards and go from there?
We used to have them at my high school (probably still do). Many city schools have a full-time police presence. It's not a revolutionary idea from the NRA as some folks would have you think. Celebrities' and politicians' children are well-guarded, why not ours? Create jobs and make schools safer at the same time.
Another good idea? Bulletproof glass on classroom doors. I think most parents would agree to consider higher taxes in the context of other necessary expenditures. It's something that shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.
So you advocate an executive order or a Federal law to require armed guards?
anything less would not give the national coverage needed.
since you are interested in all children,then all schools even religious ones would be required to have such guards?
Quakers might have a problem with that.

the higher road

Quakertown, PA

#16 Mar 7, 2013
I worked for a private school. The worst offenders were parents who would prop open a side door with a rock or something so that ANYONE could enter the building.

The front door could only be opened by the secretary letting the guest in by being buzzed into the building. Any unknown person or potential intruder did not have direct site of the office personnel so there was no opportunity to shoot the secretary from outdside.

If an intruder came in through the propped-open door, the secretary would be the first person shot since she's the designated person to sound the alarm if an intruder DOES enter the building.

This is a major reason I stopped working in schools.
PAT

Quakertown, PA

#17 Mar 7, 2013
Get real wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse Me
You really don't think our children are worth it?
Of course the children are worth it. I guess you didn't catch the sarcasm.... Everyone wants all precautions necessary until they have to pay for it. And armed guards in every building would cost a fortune. When we are laying off teachers and aides and custodians, will the tax payers really approve the costs involved in securing the buildings and adding guards.
Tired

Hatfield, PA

#18 Mar 7, 2013
PAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course the children are worth it. I guess you didn't catch the sarcasm.... Everyone wants all precautions necessary until they have to pay for it. And armed guards in every building would cost a fortune. When we are laying off teachers and aides and custodians, will the tax payers really approve the costs involved in securing the buildings and adding guards.
We won't have to pay a penny for it, Wayne LaPierre will pay for those armed guards with increased NRA dues.
Inquiring Mind

North Wales, PA

#19 Mar 7, 2013
dbar wrote:
<quoted text>
So you advocate an executive order or a Federal law to require armed guards?
anything less would not give the national coverage needed.
since you are interested in all children,then all schools even religious ones would be required to have such guards?
Quakers might have a problem with that.
What?? When did I advocate anything like that? Last time I looked, we had freedom of choice, although it's diminishing rapidly under this Nanny State you favor.
dbar

Perkasie, PA

#20 Mar 7, 2013
Inquiring Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
What?? When did I advocate anything like that? Last time I looked, we had freedom of choice, although it's diminishing rapidly under this Nanny State you favor.
freedom of choice?
so now the safety of children is optional?
thought you wanted to keep them safe.
you suggest armed guards for schools but think that it is a matter of choice for who to decide?
so there should be a vote on the issue?
at what level?
local,State ,Federal?.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coopersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
RTPD Cams Tue Kathryn Munson 1
Review: Redtrailers.Com Inc (Sep '09) Tue dynosteve 15
News Quakertown begins planning for community center Mon In the Know 38
Local dump/landfill? Mon Sara Killinger 4
rtbos & cold storage Mon Richard Leakey 16
Girl in Red Kia Mon Richard Leakey 2
Memories of Quakertown (Jan '10) Mon Bto101 753
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Coopersburg Mortgages