Nurses Accused Of Swiping Pain Medica...

Nurses Accused Of Swiping Pain Medication From Hospitals

There are 72 comments on the WFMZ story from Nov 25, 2009, titled Nurses Accused Of Swiping Pain Medication From Hospitals. In it, WFMZ reports that:

The Pennsylvania Attorney General announced today the arrests of four nurses who worked for the Lehigh Valley Health Network.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WFMZ.

anonymous

Allentown, PA

#46 Nov 29, 2009
I just wanted to say that i worked closely with two of the nurses fired from the Muhlenberg er, I was very shocked when i had heard the news because i felt they gave very good patient care and were very compassionate people. I don't want to make excuses for them but lets also not make them out to be monsters trying to put patients in danger. I hope they all get the help they need.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#47 Nov 29, 2009
anonymous wrote:
I just wanted to say that i worked closely with two of the nurses fired from the Muhlenberg er, I was very shocked when i had heard the news because i felt they gave very good patient care and were very compassionate people. I don't want to make excuses for them but lets also not make them out to be monsters trying to put patients in danger. I hope they all get the help they need.
As Citrola's addiction grew, Corbett said the waste was not enough to feed her addiction. She then allegedly began signing out the drug in patients' names and using it for her personal use. According to the criminal complaint, in December 2008, Citrola started to inject herself in the bathroom at work.
Yeah, that person is no monster. Surely injecting at work is not going to endanger a patient. They need to be stripped of their ability to work at a hospital or patient care forever.
Anonymous

United States

#48 Nov 29, 2009
I understand you feelings, I also worked closely with both the nurses don't pass judgement on people you don't know. They will be punished and did wrong, but I assure she is not a monster. She is someone who messed up royally, and will pay the consequenses for the rest of her life.
Carbide wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Yeah, that person is no monster. Surely injecting at work is not going to endanger a patient. They need to be stripped of their ability to work at a hospital or patient care forever.
Buppie

Angie, LA

#49 Nov 30, 2009
They are facing criminal charges for an addiction that is considered a "disease"? No patients were harmed according to this article.....
Jim

Pittsburgh, PA

#50 Nov 30, 2009
I guess VRP will not be an option for these "unfortunates"
Jim

Pittsburgh, PA

#51 Nov 30, 2009
Carbide I hope you see this, YOUR AN ASS

Location hidden

#52 Nov 30, 2009
Anonymous wrote:
I understand you feelings, I also worked closely with both the nurses don't pass judgement on people you don't know. They will be punished and did wrong, but I assure she is not a monster. She is someone who messed up royally, and will pay the consequenses for the rest of her life.
<quoted text>
Don't pass judgment on someone who shot up while on the job at a hospital? Okay, so she might not be a monster, but she could have put someone's life in danger. The consequences of which would be felt by the person she f-d up for the rest of THEIR life.

Yeah, I won't pass judgment on someone like that. I don't have to guess if that person is a complete waste. Thanks for the correction.

Location hidden

#53 Nov 30, 2009
Jim wrote:
Carbide I hope you see this, YOUR AN ****
Thank you, Earthworm Jim!
molly

Humble, TX

#54 Nov 30, 2009
Joan wrote:
<quoted text>YOU'RE AN ****! The disease? It's idiots like you that make excuses for peoples criminal actions that keeps them from getting the help they really need.
Addiction is not an EXCUSE to be a criminal--an addict in the throws of their disease has only one goal--to obtain the next fix. Unfortunately, other people often get hurt in the process. These nurses are responsible for their recovery and for making restitution for harms done but they are not bad people because of thier DISEASE. The desperation of active addiction is a plight I would not wish on my worst enemy.
allentown

Allentown, PA

#55 Dec 2, 2009
How was patient care not compromised if the one nurse was doing the drugs WHILE SHE WORKED???
ANON

United States

#56 Dec 2, 2009
allentown wrote:
How was patient care not compromised if the one nurse was doing the drugs WHILE SHE WORKED???
excellent question

Nothing like a drugged up nurse treating you!

if I ever walked into a hosptal restroom or any restroom anywhere anytime in the world and saw someone shooting up...

I would be screaming Drug Use in the Lav all the way out the door.

The real problem is that this type of behavior always severely diminishes the integrity of the hospital, trust in health care workers and causes suspicion among us forever.

I hope things get better for everyone

That's why reporting is the only correct route to take... if it is
not reported, nurses die, patients die, hospitals sued...on and on

Most people do not understand that, instead they cover up, try to counsel, make excuses...... stupid
your mom

Philadelphia, PA

#57 Dec 2, 2009
Joan wrote:
<quoted text>YOU'RE AN ****! The disease? It's idiots like you that make excuses for peoples criminal actions that keeps them from getting the help they really need.
oh joan you are IGNORANT Drug and Alcohol is a Disease ...maybe you need help?
your mom

Philadelphia, PA

#58 Dec 2, 2009
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoa ... sounds like Brandy has been taking some meds herself. Doesn't anyone monitor these posts?? What's the point of allowing comments if the posters are not even required to string together a coherent sentence?
brandy dun rappin on here fo' da people WHITEY BIN KEEPIN DOWN go obamy go!y'all holler!
Tammy

Brecksville, OH

#59 Dec 2, 2009
ajc: Joe- the comment is just mean- if you read some of it I think the person is deaf and possibly uses some other type of communication device- hence it looking like a string of words that don't make sense. Hey- ain't it cool, a nurse, me, knows that stuff?

Ummmm, let me get this straight you think from the post that Brandy is deaf and uses some other type of communication device. You know that would make sense if she was not responding on a computer. What does your hearing have to do with your eye sight or typing. A deaf person doesn't need a special machine for that. They need a special machine for verbal communication so NO I don't think it's "cool, a nurse, me, knows that stuff?". I think it's sad that you say you are a nurse and didn't pick up on that. Not to mention that if you try to read Brandy's post it looks like she is trying to use "def" short for definitely but is spelling it as "deaf". So also sad that you claim to be a nurse and couldn't pick up on that. It's nurses like you and the ones arrested that give an honorable profession a bad rap.
Tammy

Brecksville, OH

#60 Dec 2, 2009
I also do not think that addiction is a disease. That does not mean that I'm uneducated or ignorant because I disagree with that concept. I do agree that some people have a more addictive personality and therefore become addicted quicker than others. That does not make this a disease though. They had to make a conscious decision to take the drug/alcohol to begin with. I know in many cases people become addicted to pain medication following some sort of injury or surgery but that doesn't make it a disease. Just because they need help to overcome the addiction doesn't make it a disease. In my opinion too many people use the word disease as a scapegoat to say "see it wasn't my fault, I have a disease." That's part of the problem with todays society. too many people do not take responsibility for their actions anymore. It's always someone or something else's fault but not theirs. Before someone starts saying that I must be perfect to say these things, never make a mistake or do anything wrong, NO that's not the case. I have made plenty of mistakes in my life and done things I regret, the difference is that I admit it was my fault, I did it and then do something to correct the situation. It's called taking responsibility for your actions. As far as trying to say they were crying out for help, BULL, they were crying because they got caught just like anybody else who commits a crime no matter how big or small. Now don't get me wrong, I know addictions are extremely hard to get rid of and it's a very long hard road to recovery but that still does not make it a disease.
pam

Allentown, PA

#61 Dec 2, 2009
what happened there could have happened at any hospital. I'm just amazed how the people here attack each others comments. Are we not adults? It is alright to disagree as long as it is done in a respectful manner there is absolutely no reason to call each other names.
ka-brodie

United States

#62 Dec 2, 2009
Medjuanna the nurses could grow their own who needs these dangerous dope pills derived from opium grown in Afghanistan. Bills in the house the bill should be a referendum like in Maine let the people decide. We donít care if the pharmaceutical companies lose money. And PA may still earn tax dollars instead of letting the Mexican mob make all the money!
JohnRN65

Atlanta, GA

#63 Dec 4, 2009
The incidence of addiction in nursing is high - over 7% of the field are known in to be in recovery. Most states have programs in place to encourage the nurse to enter treatment and subsequent after care programs. This allows for the disease of addiction to be arrested and treated. The nurses then returns to work under a strict monitoring program, including narcotic restrictions, random drug screens, mandatory attendance at 3-4 12 Step Mtgs a week, as well as having a work place monitor. This program is successful in most states in the United States. These nurses should have an opportunity for this through Pennsylvania's Nurse Peer Assistance Program. This is a proven method for helping nurses obtain the needed treatment and safely returning them to a field that is so desperately in need of their expertise.

The Board of Nursing will definitely be notified of these nurses and will take action through a Consent Order. The only time a nurses goes from Hospital to Hospital is when the facility terminates them without notifying the Board.
JohnRN65

Atlanta, GA

#64 Dec 4, 2009
Tammy wrote:
I also do not think that addiction is a disease. That does not mean that I'm uneducated or ignorant because I disagree with that concept. I do agree that some people have a more addictive personality and therefore become addicted quicker than others. That does not make this a disease though. They had to make a conscious decision to take the drug/alcohol to begin with. I know in many cases people become addicted to pain medication following some sort of injury or surgery but that doesn't make it a disease. Just because they need help to overcome the addiction doesn't make it a disease. In my opinion too many people use the word disease as a scapegoat to say "see it wasn't my fault, I have a disease." That's part of the problem with todays society. too many people do not take responsibility for their actions anymore. It's always someone or something else's fault but not theirs. Before someone starts saying that I must be perfect to say these things, never make a mistake or do anything wrong, NO that's not the case. I have made plenty of mistakes in my life and done things I regret, the difference is that I admit it was my fault, I did it and then do something to correct the situation. It's called taking responsibility for your actions. As far as trying to say they were crying out for help, BULL, they were crying because they got caught just like anybody else who commits a crime no matter how big or small. Now don't get me wrong, I know addictions are extremely hard to get rid of and it's a very long hard road to recovery but that still does not make it a disease.
You may not think it is a disease but you do not have MD or Phd after your name do you. The medical field has deemed addiction a disease and it has all the qualifying factors of any other disease. Do your research and make an education statement next time.

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#65 Dec 5, 2009
Joan wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree but it seems as though people in general are past "nice" people being held accountable for their actions. Kids are killing their parents and with lame excuses they get a slap on the wrist. Women murder their pastor husbands and get a slap on the wrist. Have you ever seen "fred claus"? Now there are no naughty children. They are simply misunderstood! And people wonder why this world we live in is such a mess but too proud to want to know the real reasons. They know it all!
And you're basing your opinion on a movie called "Fred Claus?????" Yup, people are past nice and you're one of them. What does "kids killing their parents" have to do with this? You're WAY out there..........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coopersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sample over 75 beers at McCoole's Beer Festival... 2 hr Vinny 2
Coyotes? Apr 23 Khloe K 8
Orloff v Arnold Apr 22 Grow some balls RTPD 2
Morning star (Nov '15) Apr 20 Private 26
Richland Meadows Trailer Park (Jul '12) Apr 19 Eav 28
Amy Figura Kares Hellertown Active Addict Victi... Apr 18 barbxx11 1
News Farm-to-plate restaurant to set up shop in Quak... Apr 18 barbxx11 13

Coopersburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance