scholarships or grants anyone??

scholarships or grants anyone??

Posted in the Coopersburg Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
DESPERATE STUDENT

Souderton, PA

#1 Mar 10, 2013
I have spent a week looking for scholarship and grants to apply for. I have discovered that unless you participate in tons of extra curricular activities at school or are somehow unique in ethnicity or heritage there is nothing out there. I am home schooled, and I have spent every free moment working two jobs and volunteering and have managed to keep a 3.65 high school GPA and have also maintained a 4.0 community college GPA (I've just taken a few courses at Bucks County Community College). I'm a good student and a hard worker but I can't seem to find any scholarships that I really qualify for. My family is financially needy but the school I plan to attend does not accept FASA so I really need help finding money....I was wondering if anyone could suggest scholarships or grants that I might qualify for because I live in Bucks County?? I would really appreciate any help, suggestions, or advice! Thanks in advance!
Info

Broomall, PA

#2 Mar 11, 2013
Have you talked to your school's admissions department? They should be able to point you in the right direction.
Confused

Quakertown, PA

#3 Mar 11, 2013
Every free moment volunteering should equal extra curricular activities. Just a heads up the working world is not any beter finding jobs. Good Luck and keep working hard some goals are just harder to achieve. Just keep moving forward yestrday is over.
Joe

Chalfont, PA

#4 Mar 11, 2013
You might want to reconsider your choice and attend a school that accepts federal aid. You probably qualify for Pell Grants and Stafford Loans.
Hard working whitey

Perkasie, PA

#5 Mar 11, 2013
Joe wrote:
You might want to reconsider your choice and attend a school that accepts federal aid. You probably qualify for Pell Grants and Stafford Loans.
Only if yo are black or hispanic. Poor white kids get nothing for free.
Purple

Perkasie, PA

#6 Mar 12, 2013
DESPERATE STUDENT wrote:
I have spent a week looking for scholarship and grants to apply for. I have discovered that unless you participate in tons of extra curricular activities at school or are somehow unique in ethnicity or heritage there is nothing out there. I am home schooled, and I have spent every free moment working two jobs and volunteering and have managed to keep a 3.65 high school GPA and have also maintained a 4.0 community college GPA (I've just taken a few courses at Bucks County Community College). I'm a good student and a hard worker but I can't seem to find any scholarships that I really qualify for. My family is financially needy but the school I plan to attend does not accept FASA so I really need help finding money....I was wondering if anyone could suggest scholarships or grants that I might qualify for because I live in Bucks County?? I would really appreciate any help, suggestions, or advice! Thanks in advance!
I'm curious why you ask for scholarships or grants. If you're such a hard worker, what about a student loan?
Nomorebho

Quakertown, PA

#7 Mar 12, 2013
It sounds like you would qualify to get a work study. Unless the President is getting rid of those programs too.
DESPERATE STUDENT

Souderton, PA

#8 Mar 14, 2013
Thanks for the comments but everybody got the wrong idea...First my schools admissions department is helping me out somewhat and I have qualified for some aid from my college. Student loans are definitely another option I am pursuing...however we lost our house a couple years ago to foreclosure which has ruined my parents credit so it is hard to qualify for loans. And I shouldn't have to choose my college based on cost...isn't that the point of grants and scholarships? to make college possible for underprivileged students? Seriously there are so many more scholarships available for minority students which is pretty much ridiculous. I do qualify for a work study program which is awesome but all work study is limited to a certain number of hours per week (in my case the college limits it to 12 hours per week) meaning that even if you work as much as possible you only make a meager amount of money...maybe enough to cover food and part of housing...thanks for the ideas...I would love to hear more!
Joe

Broomall, PA

#9 Mar 14, 2013
DESPERATE STUDENT wrote:
Thanks for the comments but everybody got the wrong idea...First my schools admissions department is helping me out somewhat and I have qualified for some aid from my college. Student loans are definitely another option I am pursuing...however we lost our house a couple years ago to foreclosure which has ruined my parents credit so it is hard to qualify for loans. And I shouldn't have to choose my college based on cost...isn't that the point of grants and scholarships? to make college possible for underprivileged students? Seriously there are so many more scholarships available for minority students which is pretty much ridiculous. I do qualify for a work study program which is awesome but all work study is limited to a certain number of hours per week (in my case the college limits it to 12 hours per week) meaning that even if you work as much as possible you only make a meager amount of money...maybe enough to cover food and part of housing...thanks for the ideas...I would love to hear more!
Yeah, I can agree, you should not have to choose college based on cost. If you're applying for loans, stay away from the private loans. Apply for Federal Loans and upon graduation you can apply for the Income-Based Loan Repayment program. If you have a job, you pay no more than 10% of your monthly income in repaying the loan. After 20 years if you still have a balance on the principal the loan is forgiven. If you have a public sector job the principal is forgiven after 10 years. You still have to worry about the interest and the forgiven principal is considered a gift, which means you might owe taxes. The law was passed in 2009 which means no one to date has paid interest or taxes. Congress still has time to tweak the law.
Haha

Broomall, PA

#10 Mar 14, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I can agree, you should not have to choose college based on cost. If you're applying for loans, stay away from the private loans. Apply for Federal Loans and upon graduation you can apply for the Income-Based Loan Repayment program. If you have a job, you pay no more than 10% of your monthly income in repaying the loan. After 20 years if you still have a balance on the principal the loan is forgiven. If you have a public sector job the principal is forgiven after 10 years. You still have to worry about the interest and the forgiven principal is considered a gift, which means you might owe taxes. The law was passed in 2009 which means no one to date has paid interest or taxes. Congress still has time to tweak the law.
Wow, you do know how to work the system, don't you, slug? No wonder this country is broke. Slugs like you who chooses useless degrees can't make it, so you walk away from your responsibility to repay your loan and dump it on taxpayers who do work for a living.

Don't listen to "Joe," he's in his 40's and still lives in his dad's basement, unless you want to be a government leech like him.
Nomorebho

Quakertown, PA

#11 Mar 15, 2013
Well, my son had to choose a college based on cost. I think a lot of students do.
resident

Broomall, PA

#12 Mar 15, 2013
Haha wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you do know how to work the system, don't you, slug? No wonder this country is broke. Slugs like you who chooses useless degrees can't make it, so you walk away from your responsibility to repay your loan and dump it on taxpayers who do work for a living.
Don't listen to "Joe," he's in his 40's and still lives in his dad's basement, unless you want to be a government leech like him.
The Income based repayment loan program was passed in response to college graduates facing high unemployment and underemployment rates. They lack the necessary income to pay back the student loan. Would you rather have them go in default and ruin their credit?
Okay

Broomall, PA

#13 Mar 15, 2013
resident wrote:
<quoted text>
The Income based repayment loan program was passed in response to college graduates facing high unemployment and underemployment rates. They lack the necessary income to pay back the student loan. Would you rather have them go in default and ruin their credit?
If they are majoring in useless degrees like Art History, English, Women's Studies, in fact <insert name> Studies, Fine Arts, Theater, Film, etc., then yeah, it's on them for choosing unemployable degrees. Why should the taxpayer be left paying the bill for someone's poor choice of major.

Aid should be given out based upon future employability of the selected major.
Latch

Perkasie, PA

#14 Mar 16, 2013
Kohl's has a scholarship program for young volunteers. http://www.kohlscorporation.com/communityrela...
DESPERATE STUDENT

Souderton, PA

#15 Mar 19, 2013
Latch wrote:
Kohl's has a scholarship program for young volunteers. http://www.kohlscorporation.com/communityrela...
Actually my mom works part time at Kohl's which automatically excludes me from this scholarship...which is totally ridiculous because I am perfectly qualified...Very frustrating! Thanks though!
Here we go

Broomall, PA

#16 Mar 19, 2013
How about working and paying for each class as you go? It's been done before, and may take a bit longer, but would make you a better person in the end, and you wouldn't have any loans to pay off.
resident

Broomall, PA

#17 Mar 19, 2013
DESPERATE STUDENT wrote:
I have spent a week looking for scholarship and grants to apply for. I have discovered that unless you participate in tons of extra curricular activities at school or are somehow unique in ethnicity or heritage there is nothing out there. I am home schooled, and I have spent every free moment working two jobs and volunteering and have managed to keep a 3.65 high school GPA and have also maintained a 4.0 community college GPA (I've just taken a few courses at Bucks County Community College). I'm a good student and a hard worker but I can't seem to find any scholarships that I really qualify for. My family is financially needy but the school I plan to attend does not accept FASA so I really need help finding money....I was wondering if anyone could suggest scholarships or grants that I might qualify for because I live in Bucks County?? I would really appreciate any help, suggestions, or advice! Thanks in advance!
Do you attend a Public, Catholic or Christian High School? I'm having a difficult time why your guidance counselors are not steering you toward a college that accepts federal aid, which would make your plight for needed financial aid much easier.
resident

Broomall, PA

#18 Mar 19, 2013
Here we go wrote:
How about working and paying for each class as you go? It's been done before, and may take a bit longer, but would make you a better person in the end, and you wouldn't have any loans to pay off.
That is an option, but if you can get the necessary financial aid and finish in four years that's the best plan.
Here we go

Broomall, PA

#19 Mar 19, 2013
resident wrote:
<quoted text>
That is an option, but if you can get the necessary financial aid and finish in four years that's the best plan.
Why? You'll end with debt 6 months after graduating.

With all the hoopla about kids not being able to pay off college loans, this may be the best answer in the long run.
Nomorebho

Quakertown, PA

#20 Mar 19, 2013
I heard last night that the cost of taking out a college loan is going up this summer. It will cost an extra $1000. If only this country would pay to educate it's people instead of sending billions to other countries who don't do squat for us.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coopersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bucks County News Feed (May '14) 1 hr tryit 157
News Cops: Pa. Woman Laced Baby's Formula With Drug ... 6 hr palumpskioxicandyman 7
Outrageous Prices for a haircut in Qtown 19 hr Jen 6
Qtown School Board Jul 26 What a World 29
Poll How many women go braless ? NO MEN and Ladies b... (Mar '10) Jul 24 me 96
Clowns running Richland Township Jul 23 Studdering tim 9
News Lehigh Valley food events include author demo a... Jul 22 SVFM 1

Coopersburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Coopersburg Mortgages