Sacred Heart Home Orphanage
Greg Casamassa

Hummelstown, PA

#123 Mar 4, 2012
Marie JK wrote:
Greg did you have an older sister or cousin named Mary Lee Casamassa that went to the Home?
<quo
ted text>
Marie JK......Mary Lee was probably a distant relative. Casamassa's were mostly from Bethlehem, PA. My grandfather, Benjamin, had at least 3 brothers in the area and I have noticed our name in Berks County now as well. Sorry getting back to you so late.
Colby Kent

Center Valley, PA

#124 Mar 15, 2012
I have some photos of the building and the house.
They belong to the Coopersburg Historical Society.
You could email me.

I don't have any information about the residents though.

Colby Kent email [email protected]
Colby Kent

Center Valley, PA

#125 Mar 16, 2012
I hope all of you are on the Facebook page for Sacred Heart Home, Coopersburg PA. I can post some building photos there.
dick merritt

Cotton, MN

#126 Apr 26, 2012
my name is dick merritt was at sacred heart from 1951 to 1955 i remember you and a guy named raymond sebastian do these names ring a bell if they do contact meat [email protected]
Linda Hertzog Link

Orefield, PA

#127 Jul 17, 2012
Chuck Unger wrote:
<quoted text>
Rosemarie,
Hi, are you by any chance Rosemarie Makusky? I was at the home from '56 until '65 and that was the only Rosemarie I remember from that time.
Just coincidently, I was at the home today and took a few pictures which I can attempt to e-mail as soon as I am able. However, be prepared to have your heart broken. I will e-mail you presently with the details but I wanted to post this on this forum in case any of the others who were there read this. I would love to hear from them as well.
Rosemarie,
Just saw this post and I remember you and your brother arthur. How are you? How is your brother Arthur? Hope to hear back from you.
Eugene Skrovanek

Jersey City, NJ

#128 Jul 17, 2012
This is for Chuck Unger...remember me...I remember you and your brother Arthur well, still have a post card from Arthur, how you both doing....Are you all still in Easton, would be nice to hear from you both...
Morgan

AOL

#129 Jul 24, 2012
hi all, i always knew that this place used to be an orphange and then later an college. I have a great interest in it's history. I love reading everyone's comments, very interesting. I dont have any relatives who went there, but I do live not even a minute up the road and my house used to belong to the college, as a dorm house where about 27 students live. I even have some of the original appliances down in my basement. Just today I walked down there and saw on the window where it said sacred heart, but all I could see was sacred heart & school, so I wasnt really sure what the rest said, so tonight finally did some research and found this site. It's sad to see the state that its in now and the land is also for sale. I'd hate to see anyone knock it down, because I think its good part of history to have in town.
Jim McCue

Chalfont, PA

#130 Aug 14, 2012
Kathy Roman wrote:
I'm writing a book about my experiences in "the home" I was there in the early 60's. I would love to hear about your experiences to incorporate in my book. It is a heavily illustrated book (a graphic novel) so it is a slow,slow process. But my memories are fading and I could use a bit of a memory jolt from you.thanks
My email is katdazzle at comcast dot net. Sorry I wrote my email like that, but i didn't want spammers to pick it up.
Hello Kathy: my 2 sisters and younger brother were there for less than a year, but I don't think I will ever get over it. Will you book be a horror story?
Jim McCue

Chalfont, PA

#131 Aug 14, 2012
What do you think when I say the words
" sugar cookie"?
myartbymc

North Tonawanda, NY

#132 Aug 22, 2012
Flossie Roberts wrote:
Hello. My name is Flossie and I was also at Sacred Heart from 1962 thru 1965. I don't have any photos either, but will be anxiously checking this Forum just in case anyone does. Do you all remember those movie days in the basement when the nuns showed all of those old, old film reels of the early days of Sacred Heart? I have some memories to share and would love to hear any of yours. Take care all,
Flossie [email protected]
Hi Flossie, My Mom was in the home in the mid 30's to early 40's. I'm sure many things changed by the time you were there, but I was intrigued by the films that you mentioned. Perhaps the films are archived with the Diocese along with records of the children that lived there. My Mom told us stories over the years about her time there, which were mostly "good memories," but my Mom wasn't one for talking about negative experiences anyway. I still have two aunts and an uncle living who were also there at that time. My aunt ran away often.
Rita

Willingboro, NJ

#133 Aug 22, 2012
Jim McCue wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Kathy: my 2 sisters and younger brother were there for less than a year, but I don't think I will ever get over it. Will you book be a horror story?
My brother and I were there for only four months in the summer of 1947. I still remember the smell of breakfast porridge (cream of wheat, I guess).
Rudy Pavlick

Harrisburg, PA

#134 Aug 26, 2012
TO: myartbymc
You noted your mother was in Sacred Heart Home in the mid '30s to early '40's. what was her name?
I was there from February,1939 to June,1947, so we may have known each other. You can e-mail me at [email protected]
Ritz

Willingboro, NJ

#135 Aug 27, 2012
Does anyone know the exact name for the FB page? I looked under "Sacred Heart Home" and tons of options pop up.

-Rita (at the Home in Summer of 1947)
Anonymous

Pottstown, PA

#136 Aug 29, 2012
Jim McCue wrote:
<quoted text>
My book is finished and for sale on Amazon. Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Heart-Orphanage-...
I think of it as an inspirational story.
Rudy Pavlick

Harrisburg, PA

#137 Dec 29, 2012
TO: myartbc I was hoping to hear from you since you mentioned that you had relatives at the home in the early thirties and forties. It's hard to get information from that time. I was there then, but haven't been able to see any comments from people who were there then. Ask your relatives if they remember me, or maybe I would remember them by their names.
Anonymous

Pottstown, PA

#138 Mar 6, 2013
Jim McCue wrote:
<quoted text>
No , my story is an uplifting story- it has a happy ending. Although the was plenty of horror, in the end it is resolved.You can find my graphic novel (and it is very graphic, not meant for children, although schools have used it for counseling teens!), anyway it is for sale on Amazon. Just search for Sacred Heart:The Orphanage Story: Autobiography of a Stray
Anonymous

Lewes, DE

#139 Mar 16, 2013
I started another facebook page about the Sacred Heart Home and School
https://www.facebook.com/SacredHeartHomeAndSc...
and I have a website too: http://sacredheartorphanage.wordpress.com/
lots of photos and maybe you can find those old friends you were searching for? Anyway, its all about the history and even an old census.
rose

Whitehall, PA

#140 Mar 18, 2013
My grammy used to take me to the orphanage when I was in grade school for some kind of outdoor picnic. It was in the 50's. I remember going through the big rooms with maybe 30 or 40 beds. I really was in awe of the children, you guys seemed so well behaved, and I pitied you I guess. The nuns always sort of scared me. I went to catholic school for 12 years, and really had some crabby, mean nuns. I thought they should retire already. I got cracked for stupid reasons, but never dared to tell my parents when I got home or I would get cracked again. I hope life has been good to all of you, So many memories, but that is what life is all about. May all who have experienced the life of an orphan be blessed with the Lord's love.
Eugene F Skrovanek

New York, NY

#141 Mar 19, 2013
Hi....I was in the home in Coopersburg from 1950 thru 1958 along with my brothers and sisters, been a long time ago but I remember it well. Anyway, I am toying with the idea of setting up a reunion if there is enough interest in doing so. I'd like to get an idea of how many people would be interested and based on that will figure out the date, place and logistics, hopefully sometime late this summer. If you would be interested please let me know and spread the word to others that have been there. You can contact me at [email protected]
Hoping to hear from you with your response. Suggestions and/or comments welcome too.
linda dilts

Towanda, PA

#142 Apr 29, 2013
me n my sister n brothers were there in 66 till 69.i remember getting a big snoopy dog for xmas. so if anybody remembers the dilts kids let me know. i had a friend there name Becky. SHE LOST HER TOE from riding her bike. also going to church and passing out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coopersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Quakertown begins planning for community center 2 hr Longtime Q resident 39
i am new here,want to make friends (Oct '11) Fri In the Know 26
Girl in Red Kia Jul 31 Tits McGee 3
Local child rapist not on megans law Jul 31 Curiousity Cat 1
Bucks County News Feed (May '14) Jul 31 QMart lurker 133
Memories of Quakertown (Jan '10) Jul 30 Spice 754
Contractor Fraud - Tom Dwyer Jul 29 buckscoguy 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Coopersburg Mortgages