Religious Education
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Wondering

Quakertown, PA

#1 Mar 18, 2013
My parish just sent home paperwork for next years relgious education program. For two children it will cost me a little more than $300.00. I personally think this is high but having no idea of what other churches charge I have no point of reference.

Could you tell me how much your church charges for your Sunday school programs?

Please do not catholic bash or pick on others faith.
Richland Res

Quakertown, PA

#2 Mar 18, 2013
St. Agnes in Sellersville: http://www.saintagnesprep.com/assets/files/re...

St. Maria Goretti in Hatfield: http://www.stmariagoretti.net/2012%202013%20R...

St. Stanislaus in Lansdale: http://www.ststanislaus.com/...

Hope this helps.

It is a high. The teachers are volunteers and the books can't cost that much.
Wondering

Quakertown, PA

#3 Mar 18, 2013
It seems to be in line with the other catholic churches in our area.
I am interested to see what other faiths do.

I mean Christ did not charge his disciples when he taught in the dessert. Why should I have to pay what I can not afford for them to learn his teachings?
Richland Res

Quakertown, PA

#4 Mar 18, 2013
Wondering wrote:
It seems to be in line with the other catholic churches in our area.
I am interested to see what other faiths do.
I mean Christ did not charge his disciples when he taught in the dessert. Why should I have to pay what I can not afford for them to learn his teachings?
I have a feeling that certain litigation, if you catch my meaning, is playing its part in the drastic increases over the past few years.

My parents didn't pay when I went through this many moons ago.
Viernes

Hatfield, PA

#5 Mar 18, 2013
Wondering wrote:
It seems to be in line with the other catholic churches in our area.
I am interested to see what other faiths do.
I mean Christ did not charge his disciples when he taught in the dessert. Why should I have to pay what I can not afford for them to learn his teachings?
If you can't afford the money, can't you find out what books they use and teach your kids yourself?
Richland Res

Quakertown, PA

#6 Mar 18, 2013
Viernes wrote:
<quoted text>If you can't afford the money, can't you find out what books they use and teach your kids yourself?
You have to go through the Parish Religious Education Program, or PREP, to receive the sacraments of Communion and Confirmation. It is what it is.

It's a racket. As of this year, the program ends at 6th grade, but for those younger students, they will have to to 8th grade starting next year. I don't like it.
Viernes

Hatfield, PA

#7 Mar 18, 2013
Richland Res wrote:
<quoted text>You have to go through the Parish Religious Education Program, or PREP, to receive the sacraments of Communion and Confirmation. It is what it is.
It's a racket. As of this year, the program ends at 6th grade, but for those younger students, they will have to to 8th grade starting next year. I don't like it.
WOW, when I was a kid, the nuns taught it in regular class. They used the same books over and over again for each year of students. You'd think the church would be willing to pay for any needed books and have the priests and nuns teach it.
Richland Res

Quakertown, PA

#8 Mar 18, 2013
Viernes wrote:
<quoted text>WOW, when I was a kid, the nuns taught it in regular class. They used the same books over and over again for each year of students. You'd think the church would be willing to pay for any needed books and have the priests and nuns teach it.
Well, I didn't go to Catholic School, but there were parent volunteers who taught CCD during 10:15 Mass on Sundays.
PAT

Quakertown, PA

#9 Mar 18, 2013
When was the last time you saw a Nun at St Isidore's. Do you know how many kids need instruction? How can the priest teach all grade level at one time? Parent volunteers teach the classes. Each kid gets a paperback book of their own with occasional hand outs. Kids in Catholic School get their education on a daily basis - paid by their tuition. Public school kids pay the mentioned fee, but yes, it does seem high. Perhaps you could ask for a break out of what the fee covers and let us know. I am really curious.
Viernes

Hatfield, PA

#10 Mar 18, 2013
Richland Res wrote:
<quoted text>Well, I didn't go to Catholic School, but there were parent volunteers who taught CCD during 10:15 Mass on Sundays.
How hard could it be to teach that? The books never changed when I was a kid and the nuns just had us read them and gave a little talk. They were always telling us how we'd go to heaven if we didn't sin, and sinners or anyone who wasn't Catholic was going to Hell. Then there was Purgatory which was like saying you could sin a little and still end up in heaven.
Wondering

Quakertown, PA

#11 Mar 18, 2013
You can get it for free if you teach and for 1/2 price if you are an aide. We have small children and work on Wed night and Sunday morning . I would not be able to make such a commitment at this time. I would be doing it half hearted and who would that help?
doug

Sellersville, PA

#12 Mar 18, 2013
Thin of the families who pay school taxes and still send their children to to Catholic or Christian Schools for thousands per year. It really is soley based on how important your children's education is to you, and what learning environment you want them in. I know of several families in our church who have good jobs, yet don't drive flashy cars or live in big dollar homes because they pay $1000 a month in tuition. Its personal preference really. Not up for anyone to judge.
not so simple

Quakertown, PA

#13 Mar 18, 2013
I tried to send my kids to catholic school. If there is any learning disability they are not equipped to handle it.
Richland Res

Quakertown, PA

#14 Mar 18, 2013
doug wrote:
Thin of the families who pay school taxes and still send their children to to Catholic or Christian Schools for thousands per year. It really is soley based on how important your children's education is to you, and what learning environment you want them in. I know of several families in our church who have good jobs, yet don't drive flashy cars or live in big dollar homes because they pay $1000 a month in tuition. Its personal preference really. Not up for anyone to judge.
We're talking about PREP, CCD...not K - 12 here.
Anonymous

Quakertown, PA

#15 Mar 19, 2013
Wondering wrote:
It seems to be in line with the other catholic churches in our area.
I am interested to see what other faiths do.
I mean Christ did not charge his disciples when he taught in the dessert. Why should I have to pay what I can not afford for them to learn his teachings?
Read the Bible with your kids. If you need help, Christian bookstores in the area sell Bible curriculums for all ages. Little kids would love mom and dad reading and teaching them the Bible stories. It's a cool way to bring the family closer. That's how kids learned God's Word since Moses. Deuteronomy 6:5-7
Tired

Hatfield, PA

#16 Mar 19, 2013
RomeoandJuliet wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the Bible with your kids. If you need help, Christian bookstores in the area sell Bible curriculums for all ages. Little kids would love mom and dad reading and teaching them the Bible stories. It's a cool way to bring the family closer. That's how kids learned God's Word since Moses. Deuteronomy 6:5-7
Like someone said above, "you have to go through the Parish Religious Education Program, or PREP, to receive the sacraments of Communion and Confirmation".

As for the bible, not all "Christian" book stores sell Catholic bibles so I think people should call first.
the higher road

Quakertown, PA

#17 Mar 19, 2013
Tired wrote:
<quoted text>Like someone said above, "you have to go through the Parish Religious Education Program, or PREP, to receive the sacraments of Communion and Confirmation".
As for the bible, not all "Christian" book stores sell Catholic bibles so I think people should call first.
I'm confused. So, unless you have enough money to be able to pay for this, you won't go to heaven? Wow! They must have some kind of scholarship program for people who can't afford to pay for this PREP. Don't Catholics believe that unless you perform all the sacraments you aren't going to get into heaven? I'm glad I believe in grace and faith in Jesus rather than working my way into heaven 'cause I wouldn't be able to afford that either.
Tired

Hatfield, PA

#18 Mar 19, 2013
the higher road wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm confused. So, unless you have enough money to be able to pay for this, you won't go to heaven? Wow! They must have some kind of scholarship program for people who can't afford to pay for this PREP. Don't Catholics believe that unless you perform all the sacraments you aren't going to get into heaven? I'm glad I believe in grace and faith in Jesus rather than working my way into heaven 'cause I wouldn't be able to afford that either.
In the Catholic Church, you don't have to receive all the sacraments to go to heaven. Catholics consider marriage a sacrament.
Here we go

Quakertown, PA

#19 Mar 19, 2013
the higher road wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm confused. So, unless you have enough money to be able to pay for this, you won't go to heaven? Wow! They must have some kind of scholarship program for people who can't afford to pay for this PREP. Don't Catholics believe that unless you perform all the sacraments you aren't going to get into heaven? I'm glad I believe in grace and faith in Jesus rather than working my way into heaven 'cause I wouldn't be able to afford that either.
What's next: Catholics worship statues?

BTW, the sacrament of Confirmation isn't limited only to Catholics.
Here we go

Quakertown, PA

#20 Mar 19, 2013
Tired wrote:
<quoted text>In the Catholic Church, you don't have to receive all the sacraments to go to heaven. Catholics consider marriage a sacrament.
The same with Holy Orders.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coopersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
West End Pub? (Jan '15) 21 min professional 29
Illegal garage and tow truck business. 9 hr Old Resident 1
Ooops! Mitch Anderson, QCSD School Board direc... 16 hr In the Know 4
Streetlights 21 hr CrimeWatch 3
Pumping Station Trees 21 hr CrimeWatch 9
Memories of Quakertown (Jan '10) Thu smarter_ than_ you 758
Freedom of Speech Thu Local 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Coopersburg Mortgages