Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

My parish just sent home paperwork for next years relgious education program. For two children it will cost me a little more than $300.00. I personally think this is high but having no idea of what other churches charge I have no point of reference.

Could you tell me how much your church charges for your Sunday school programs?

Please do not catholic bash or pick on others faith.
Richland Res

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

St. Agnes in Sellersville: http://www.saintagnesprep.com/assets/files/re...

St. Maria Goretti in Hatfield: http://www.stmariagoretti.net/2012%202013%20R...

St. Stanislaus in Lansdale: http://www.ststanislaus.com/...

Hope this helps.

It is a high. The teachers are volunteers and the books can't cost that much.
Wondering

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

It seems to be in line with the other catholic churches in our area.
I am interested to see what other faiths do.

I mean Christ did not charge his disciples when he taught in the dessert. Why should I have to pay what I can not afford for them to learn his teachings?
Richland Res

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

Wondering wrote:
I mean Christ did not charge his disciples when he taught in the dessert. Why should I have to pay what I can not afford for them to learn his teachings?
I have a feeling that certain litigation, if you catch my meaning, is playing its part in the drastic increases over the past few years.

My parents didn't pay when I went through this many moons ago.
Viernes

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Wondering wrote:
If you can't afford the money, can't you find out what books they use and teach your kids yourself?
Richland Res

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Viernes wrote:
<quoted text>If you can't afford the money, can't you find out what books they use and teach your kids yourself?
You have to go through the Parish Religious Education Program, or PREP, to receive the sacraments of Communion and Confirmation. It is what it is.

It's a racket. As of this year, the program ends at 6th grade, but for those younger students, they will have to to 8th grade starting next year. I don't like it.
Viernes

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Richland Res wrote:
<quoted text>You have to go through the Parish Religious Education Program, or PREP, to receive the sacraments of Communion and Confirmation. It is what it is.
It's a racket. As of this year, the program ends at 6th grade, but for those younger students, they will have to to 8th grade starting next year. I don't like it.
WOW, when I was a kid, the nuns taught it in regular class. They used the same books over and over again for each year of students. You'd think the church would be willing to pay for any needed books and have the priests and nuns teach it.
Richland Res

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Viernes wrote:
<quoted text>WOW, when I was a kid, the nuns taught it in regular class. They used the same books over and over again for each year of students. You'd think the church would be willing to pay for any needed books and have the priests and nuns teach it.
Well, I didn't go to Catholic School, but there were parent volunteers who taught CCD during 10:15 Mass on Sundays.
PAT

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

When was the last time you saw a Nun at St Isidore's. Do you know how many kids need instruction? How can the priest teach all grade level at one time? Parent volunteers teach the classes. Each kid gets a paperback book of their own with occasional hand outs. Kids in Catholic School get their education on a daily basis - paid by their tuition. Public school kids pay the mentioned fee, but yes, it does seem high. Perhaps you could ask for a break out of what the fee covers and let us know. I am really curious.
Viernes

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

Richland Res wrote:
<quoted text>Well, I didn't go to Catholic School, but there were parent volunteers who taught CCD during 10:15 Mass on Sundays.
How hard could it be to teach that? The books never changed when I was a kid and the nuns just had us read them and gave a little talk. They were always telling us how we'd go to heaven if we didn't sin, and sinners or anyone who wasn't Catholic was going to Hell. Then there was Purgatory which was like saying you could sin a little and still end up in heaven.
Wondering

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

You can get it for free if you teach and for 1/2 price if you are an aide. We have small children and work on Wed night and Sunday morning . I would not be able to make such a commitment at this time. I would be doing it half hearted and who would that help?
doug

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Thin of the families who pay school taxes and still send their children to to Catholic or Christian Schools for thousands per year. It really is soley based on how important your children's education is to you, and what learning environment you want them in. I know of several families in our church who have good jobs, yet don't drive flashy cars or live in big dollar homes because they pay $1000 a month in tuition. Its personal preference really. Not up for anyone to judge.
not so simple

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

I tried to send my kids to catholic school. If there is any learning disability they are not equipped to handle it.
Richland Res

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

doug wrote:
Thin of the families who pay school taxes and still send their children to to Catholic or Christian Schools for thousands per year. It really is soley based on how important your children's education is to you, and what learning environment you want them in. I know of several families in our church who have good jobs, yet don't drive flashy cars or live in big dollar homes because they pay $1000 a month in tuition. Its personal preference really. Not up for anyone to judge.
We're talking about PREP, CCD...not K - 12 here.
Anonymous

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Wondering wrote:
Read the Bible with your kids. If you need help, Christian bookstores in the area sell Bible curriculums for all ages. Little kids would love mom and dad reading and teaching them the Bible stories. It's a cool way to bring the family closer. That's how kids learned God's Word since Moses. Deuteronomy 6:5-7
Tired

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

RomeoandJuliet wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the Bible with your kids. If you need help, Christian bookstores in the area sell Bible curriculums for all ages. Little kids would love mom and dad reading and teaching them the Bible stories. It's a cool way to bring the family closer. That's how kids learned God's Word since Moses. Deuteronomy 6:5-7
Like someone said above, "you have to go through the Parish Religious Education Program, or PREP, to receive the sacraments of Communion and Confirmation".

As for the bible, not all "Christian" book stores sell Catholic bibles so I think people should call first.
the higher road

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Tired wrote:
<quoted text>Like someone said above, "you have to go through the Parish Religious Education Program, or PREP, to receive the sacraments of Communion and Confirmation".
As for the bible, not all "Christian" book stores sell Catholic bibles so I think people should call first.
I'm confused. So, unless you have enough money to be able to pay for this, you won't go to heaven? Wow! They must have some kind of scholarship program for people who can't afford to pay for this PREP. Don't Catholics believe that unless you perform all the sacraments you aren't going to get into heaven? I'm glad I believe in grace and faith in Jesus rather than working my way into heaven 'cause I wouldn't be able to afford that either.
Tired

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

the higher road wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm confused. So, unless you have enough money to be able to pay for this, you won't go to heaven? Wow! They must have some kind of scholarship program for people who can't afford to pay for this PREP. Don't Catholics believe that unless you perform all the sacraments you aren't going to get into heaven? I'm glad I believe in grace and faith in Jesus rather than working my way into heaven 'cause I wouldn't be able to afford that either.
In the Catholic Church, you don't have to receive all the sacraments to go to heaven. Catholics consider marriage a sacrament.
Here we go

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

the higher road wrote:
<quoted text>
What's next: Catholics worship statues?

BTW, the sacrament of Confirmation isn't limited only to Catholics.
Here we go

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Tired wrote:
<quoted text>In the Catholic Church, you don't have to receive all the sacraments to go to heaven. Catholics consider marriage a sacrament.
The same with Holy Orders.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Coopersburg Discussions

Search the Coopersburg Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
smoking nurses 5 hr walter 56
heller road 7 hr melvin 17
Trailer hitch installation (Jan '11) 12 hr jason 5
A Plus Family Dental Mon Opinion 13
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) Mon T Wolf 51,196
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) Mon Eddie Swindell 3,824
How many women go braless ? NO MEN and Ladies b... (Mar '10) Mon Lisa 91
•••
•••

Coopersburg News Video

•••
Coopersburg Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Coopersburg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000