Wealth Distribution in America
Inquiring Mind

North Wales, PA

#21 Mar 4, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
The stock market is all about luck. You can research companies and monitor national and international politics, but it still comes down to picking the right investments at the right time. I don't examine my investments everyday. I have more interesting things to read. But the value of my investments have increased by 40% under the Obama Administration.
It's nice to have investments using other peoples' money, isn't it?
There is luck in the stock market, no doubt, but that doesn't mean that skill and knowledge aren't also important. To say that people who have been beaten the market over a long period of time are just "lucky" is a woefully uninformed opinion.
Inquiring Mind

North Wales, PA

#22 Mar 4, 2013
dbar wrote:
<quoted text>
"expert" by who.
himself?
not many people earn billions.
i think that is more inherited.
By the people who buy his books, tapes, seminars, etc., etc.
(Personally, I despise him, but it is what it is.)

As for billionaires, only a small percentage were born into their wealth:

"Of more than 1,400 billionaires listed, Forbes listed "inherited" as the source of income for only a handful."

http://www.businessinsider.com/forbes-billion...
Inquiring Mind

North Wales, PA

#23 Mar 4, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's revisit this post because it's so rich and telling. When losing the argument launch a personal attack. Because I don't subscribe to IQ's political ideology, I have been labeled the "poster boy for failure." Wow. Talk about being narrow-minded. I not even going to brush this up as GOP arrogance. Because I have GOP and conservative friends, some serving in elected office. Opinions differ, but respect never wanes. No, this is just arrogance coming from a very bitter man.
I called you the "poster boy for failure," not because you don't share my political ideology, but because you are your own worst enemy.

I have no problem discussing issues with Liberals, and I have no problem discussing them with you either. What I can't tolerate very well is your stunning lack of insight into yourself and your tendency to blame other people who are more successful than you. Respect is EARNED. How can you command respect when you refuse to take an honest job because it's "beneath" you, while accepting money from people who do the type of work you scorn to keep you and your "investments" going?

Trust me, I'm not bitter or arrogant when it comes to you. You'd be doing yourself a big favor by listening to me and the other posters on here by getting your life in order and getting a job, any job. Be the best at it without complaining and move up the ladder. That's the way it's done. Stop looking for shortcuts and playing the role of a "political analyst" from the sidelines. Anytime you want to discuss real issues, I'm more than willing to give you a chance.

Since: Jan 09

Central NJ

#24 Mar 4, 2013
What the Video doesn't tell you is that from 1976 to today, there has been increasing amounts of gov't interfacing with selected business. It used to be that the govt was the last entity you wanted for a customer. Now, it's the first one they think of. The govt's just too damn big, Take an axe to the budget!
Fascism is defined where private industry is at the beck and call of the govt. under it's total control. That is what we're approaching here. Few see that this wealth would not be possible without the complicity of the govt. Few want to admit where this is heading.
My president was elected by dead people!
Regards, Terri
Lehigh County Resident

Northampton, PA

#25 Mar 4, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
The stock market is all about luck. You can research companies and monitor national and international politics, but it still comes down to picking the right investments at the right time. I don't examine my investments everyday. I have more interesting things to read. But the value of my investments have increased by 40% under the Obama Administration.
If your investments increased 40% in that time frame, then you are clueless. I just read today in Money magazine, that since the stock market hit bottom in 2008, it is up 120%. As for luck, that is not true at all. The stock market is about dollar cost averaging your investments over time and understanding that compound interest works in your favor. I hope you don't marry or have kids, because you will push your failure ways on them,
Joe

Quakertown, PA

#26 Mar 4, 2013
Lehigh County Resident wrote:
<quoted text>If your investments increased 40% in that time frame, then you are clueless. I just read today in Money magazine, that since the stock market hit bottom in 2008, it is up 120%. As for luck, that is not true at all. The stock market is about dollar cost averaging your investments over time and understanding that compound interest works in your favor. I hope you don't marry or have kids, because you will push your failure ways on them,
I'm not a short-term day trader. There are far too many shareholders pressuring corporate boards to make bad decisions for short-term profit at the expense of the overall economy. I believe in investing for the long-term. It helps provide economic stability.
Revere

Alexandria, VA

#27 Mar 5, 2013
Inquiring Mind wrote:
<quoted text>So inheriting money somehow makes one unable to formulate a sensible opinion? If she had inherited zilch, would it have made the complainers who sit on their ass and wait for the govt to take care of them more likely to become millionaires? You're blaming the messenger. I suspect there are many people who had nothing to start and worked for their fortunes that would agree with her advice.
dbar is an illegal alien communist who believes we were put on this earth to break our butts, so that he can sit on his. This the filth that is destroying our nation and it needs to be dealt with swiftly.
Revere

Alexandria, VA

#28 Mar 5, 2013
dbar wrote:
<quoted text>quite true there are people who earned their fortune.
they worked hard for their wealth,kudos to them.
she inherited hers.
so claiming the secret to being a millionaire is working harder does not apply to her.
or does she mean to be a billionaire you have to inherit it?
nothing wrong with her stating her opinion,however she is on the same level as a lawyer claiming to be a scientist.

at the very least she is completely tone deaf on the condition of the average working person.
What do you know about the working person? Oh, I'm sorry, you know a lot. You steal from us.
Revere

Alexandria, VA

#29 Mar 5, 2013
Lehigh County Resident wrote:
Just an FYI, < 16% of millionaires inherit their money.
Someone had to earn it first, didn't they?
dbar

Perkasie, PA

#30 Mar 5, 2013
Revere wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you know about the working person? Oh, I'm sorry, you know a lot. You steal from us.
you still need more tin foil.
it also might help if you switched to decaf.
but live in your little echo chamber if you wish.
dbar

Perkasie, PA

#31 Mar 5, 2013
Inquiring Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
By the people who buy his books, tapes, seminars, etc., etc.
(Personally, I despise him, but it is what it is.)
As for billionaires, only a small percentage were born into their wealth:
"Of more than 1,400 billionaires listed, Forbes listed "inherited" as the source of income for only a handful."
http://www.businessinsider.com/forbes-billion...
and forbes

"The Forbes Billionaires ranks individuals rather than large, multi-generational families who share large fortunes. So Maja Oeri, who has a disclosed stake in pharmaceutical firm Roche, makes the list, but her eight relatives who, with a nonprofit foundation, share a $16 billion fortune do not."

so the number of people is higher than just a handful.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/luisakroll/2013/0...
OutingYou

Quakertown, PA

#32 Mar 5, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's revisit this post because it's so rich and telling. When losing the argument launch a personal attack. Because I don't subscribe to IQ's political ideology, I have been labeled the "poster boy for failure." Wow. Talk about being narrow-minded. I not even going to brush this up as GOP arrogance. Because I have GOP and conservative friends, some serving in elected office. Opinions differ, but respect never wanes. No, this is just arrogance coming from a very bitter man.
He calls you out because you are a parasite, Mr. Kline. You have been outed by several others on these threads. We know your tactics.

How old are you now? 40-something? And you still live with your father and don't work?

You complain about Walmart not providing a living wage, but you won't better yourself and at least work one of these jobs. Maybe you should have stayed with your watchdog group in Washington.

In the late 70's, both of my parents lost their jobs and we were eligible for free lunches at school. My mother would still give us money from the various cleaning jobs she lined up for herself to pay for our school lunches. My father worked at two gas stations to pay the bills. They believed in work, not handouts. They took pride in whatever work they did.

You seem to believe in handouts; not work.

You are a parasite.

As for his GOP arrogance, I'll wager that your GOP friends (if you really have any, which I highly doubt) won't say it to your face that you are a leech.
Who Cares

Lansdale, PA

#33 Mar 5, 2013
OutingYou wrote:
<quoted text>
He calls you out because you are a parasite, Mr. Kline. You have been outed by several others on these threads. We know your tactics.
How old are you now? 40-something? And you still live with your father and don't work?
You complain about Walmart not providing a living wage, but you won't better yourself and at least work one of these jobs. Maybe you should have stayed with your watchdog group in Washington.
In the late 70's, both of my parents lost their jobs and we were eligible for free lunches at school. My mother would still give us money from the various cleaning jobs she lined up for herself to pay for our school lunches. My father worked at two gas stations to pay the bills. They believed in work, not handouts. They took pride in whatever work they did.
You seem to believe in handouts; not work.
You are a parasite.
As for his GOP arrogance, I'll wager that your GOP friends (if you really have any, which I highly doubt) won't say it to your face that you are a leech.
Who cares if it's Kline? Who are you?
He never denied it so maybe he is Kline. What's your name or are you some troll coward with alot to say and nothing to back it up with?
Haha

Quakertown, PA

#34 Mar 5, 2013
Who Cares wrote:
<quoted text>Who cares if it's Kline? Who are you?
He never denied it so maybe he is Kline. What's your name or are you some troll coward with alot to say and nothing to back it up with?
That wasn't me! I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this slug for what he is--a parasite.

Hey, I've got one for you...you tell us your name first! How's that.

Put up or shut up idiot.
Inquiring Mind

North Wales, PA

#35 Mar 5, 2013
dbar wrote:
<quoted text>
and forbes
"The Forbes Billionaires ranks individuals rather than large, multi-generational families who share large fortunes. So Maja Oeri, who has a disclosed stake in pharmaceutical firm Roche, makes the list, but her eight relatives who, with a nonprofit foundation, share a $16 billion fortune do not."
so the number of people is higher than just a handful.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/luisakroll/2013/0...
My math says that compared to 1500 billionaires, it's still just a handful. Wish I was one of them, my parents spent my inheritance!
Who Cares

Lansdale, PA

#36 Mar 5, 2013
Haha wrote:
<quoted text>
That wasn't me! I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this slug for what he is--a parasite.
Hey, I've got one for you...you tell us your name first! How's that.
Put up or shut up idiot.
What are you talking about idiot? I didn't post to you,dope!
Hmmmm

Quakertown, PA

#37 Mar 5, 2013
Who Cares wrote:
<quoted text>What are you talking about idiot? I didn't post to you,dope!
Who cares?

You obviously do!

Just sayin'.

Since: Jan 09

Central NJ

#38 Mar 5, 2013
Gee My inheritance was cleaned out by a greedy and grasping aunt, Who it turned out was under the control of a close "Friend" who got it all in the end anyway! I'm a HS dropout and whose family felt it was better if I made my own money. The only thing they ever gave me was a few shares of ATT when I got married. I even asked for a loan once and was turned down. However, much later, I Lent them a $20K bridge loan to buy a property (That I was later cheated out of, but the loan was repaid)
A couple of years ago, I was signing up to buy some bonds and we did a financial statement and it was in the magical 7 figures. Even with inflation, it still felt good! So all my accumulating, My lack of education, My getting stabbed in the back by an aunt, and everything else. Like getting my three kids at least one four year degree each.(One daughter has 4 in Bio. from Rugters, 2 from USC, and a 3 year Law Degree from Cornell, She practices in Ca.) I managed to get the brass ring! And if I can do it, anyone can! So let's end the whining here. You're as successful as you want to be. The corollary being you're as unsuccessful as you want to be also.
Regards, Terri
Inquiring Mind

Quakertown, PA

#39 Mar 5, 2013
TerryE wrote:
Gee My inheritance was cleaned out by a greedy and grasping aunt, Who it turned out was under the control of a close "Friend" who got it all in the end anyway! I'm a HS dropout and whose family felt it was better if I made my own money. The only thing they ever gave me was a few shares of ATT when I got married. I even asked for a loan once and was turned down. However, much later, I Lent them a $20K bridge loan to buy a property (That I was later cheated out of, but the loan was repaid)
A couple of years ago, I was signing up to buy some bonds and we did a financial statement and it was in the magical 7 figures. Even with inflation, it still felt good! So all my accumulating, My lack of education, My getting stabbed in the back by an aunt, and everything else. Like getting my three kids at least one four year degree each.(One daughter has 4 in Bio. from Rugters, 2 from USC, and a 3 year Law Degree from Cornell, She practices in Ca.) I managed to get the brass ring! And if I can do it, anyone can! So let's end the whining here. You're as successful as you want to be. The corollary being you're as unsuccessful as you want to be also.
Regards, Terri
Good post, Terri. The Brass Ring is still there if you put off instant gratification, make the right decisions, and work hard for it. We've become a nation of whiners and wannabees.
Jersey Duke

Quakertown, PA

#40 Mar 6, 2013
Inquiring Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
Good post, Terri. The Brass Ring is still there if you put off instant gratification, make the right decisions, and work hard for it. We've become a nation of whiners and wannabees.
You will find a lot of them here-- Joe, dumbar, etc.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coopersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Michael Hsu's Profile 1 hr Judge 1
Freedom of Speech 2 hr Local 4
Local dump/landfill? 4 hr Raylin Sutter 5
Anyone recommend a good "local" locksmith? (Jun '11) 4 hr Regina Peterson 4
Streetlights 5 hr Mother of Two 1
Ooops! Mitch Anderson, QCSD School Board direc... 18 hr Interesting 1
Finishing Basements in Richland Township (Mar '12) 22 hr jstrong196 23
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Coopersburg Mortgages