Coon Rapids Could Get Name Change

Full story: Wcco.com 72
A Coon Rapids, Minn. councilman is pushing to change the name of the city. Councilman Joe Soditi said he is proposing to change the name of Coon Rapids to a name like Riverview. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

#62 Jan 15, 2012
besides the possible name change of the city. are they planning on changing the name of the creek? the one that it is named after.
Free thinker

Andover, MN

#63 Aug 12, 2014
I would only assume it was originally called Coon Rapids because of all the raccoons back in the day. I moved here hopping to be in a nice quiet neighborhood with people who cared about their lawns and property, their family, and their community. If they were to change the name I guess they could change it to ghettoville. As it seems that is all they want to attract is whiny cry victim losers. We don't want that as it is well, ya know, bad for the neighborhood. Property prices go down, crime goes up, dangerous for kids, and just depressing. We want to be left alone and have an improving community with businesses on the rise. Take responsibility for ones own self. If you think the name is racist, then you are a moron and we don't want or need you here.
Free thinker

Andover, MN

#64 Aug 12, 2014
Mike wrote:
<quoted text> No Ballgame I live in Coon Rapids. So Bashing Coon Rapids..That eazy when you see it everyday. OPEN YOUR EYES!!!!!
you spelled easy with a Z, retard. And that easy? It's "That's easy or That is easy"

And before you try to rebuttal the word retard. That is a real word with a real meaning. It means to delay or hinder progress. That IS exactly what you are.

Minneapolis, MN

#65 Aug 13, 2014
Free thinker wrote:
I would only assume it was originally called Coon Rapids because of all the raccoons back in the day. I moved here hopping to be in a nice quiet neighborhood with people who cared about their lawns and property, their family, and their community. If they were to change the name I guess they could change it to ghettoville. As it seems that is all they want to attract is whiny cry victim losers. We don't want that as it is well, ya know, bad for the neighborhood. Property prices go down, crime goes up, dangerous for kids, and just depressing. We want to be left alone and have an improving community with businesses on the rise. Take responsibility for ones own self. If you think the name is racist, then you are a moron and we don't want or need you here.
Actually the name was Coon Creek Rapids. If you go over the Coon Rapids Blvd Bridge that spans over the tracks. Look northward, you will see the sign that says, "Coon Creek Rapids".
http://www.ci.coon-rapids.mn.us/historicalcoo... Coon Creek, in the early 1800's, emptied into the Mississippi River south of the present Coon Rapids Dam area, pretty much as it does today. Raccoons populated the low swampy areas in and around Coon Creek. History tells us that land owners hunted raccoons for their pelts.
http://www.ci.coon-rapids.mn.us/history.htm With the coming of the dam, Anoka Township took on a new name - Coon Creek Rapids which over the years was shortened to Coon Rapids.
Mytime

Minneapolis, MN

#66 Oct 11, 2014
ftach wrote:
Racism? What moron thinks the city name Coon Rapids is racist?
Do your research .... Ignorance

Minneapolis, MN

#67 Oct 11, 2014
Mytime wrote:
<quoted text>
Do your research .... Ignorance
It is this pc movement. Change all the names of a area before someone accuses of the name being racist. And needs to be changed or someone will be hit with a court case on it.
Look how many Native American related names for places had to be changed to something a lil more 'acceptable'. Like those apartments at Boone Ave & 63rd now being called Autumn Ridge. They had a Native American name before the pc movement came thru the area.
I expect to hear soon that the Black Hills name will be changed because someone took offense at the name.
Name effects growth

Saint Paul, MN

#68 Tuesday Oct 28
To the medium size business or larger corporations considering expanding their operations or headquarters, the issue IS the name. As everyone should know by now, perception IS reality.
The name "Coon Rapids" is bad for the city's future economic development. It's not an opinion, that's the unfortunate truth. If you don't know the racist implications of the word "coon" by now, then I suggest you re-evaluate your own 7th grade social studies education.
Think about it. In the age of PR disasters and boycotts fueled by prolific use of Twitter and Facebook , would you, as a CEO, risk sending the wrong message to the wider public by expanding to a place like Chink Valley, Wopville, Mick Ridge, Jap Plain, or Cracker Creek?
It doesn't matter what the origins of the name "Coon Rapids" were. It does matter what people's perception of that word is now.

Minneapolis, MN

#69 Tuesday Oct 28
Name effects growth wrote:
To the medium size business or larger corporations considering expanding their operations or headquarters, the issue IS the name. As everyone should know by now, perception IS reality.
The name "Coon Rapids" is bad for the city's future economic development. It's not an opinion, that's the unfortunate truth. If you don't know the racist implications of the word "coon" by now, then I suggest you re-evaluate your own 7th grade social studies education.
Think about it. In the age of PR disasters and boycotts fueled by prolific use of Twitter and Facebook , would you, as a CEO, risk sending the wrong message to the wider public by expanding to a place like Chink Valley, Wopville, Mick Ridge, Jap Plain, or Cracker Creek?
It doesn't matter what the origins of the name "Coon Rapids" were. It does matter what people's perception of that word is now.
Stop seeing racism where there is not intended.
And about the future economic development. That was predicted back when my parents bought their house in the late 50s in CR. Obviously the prediction fell flat like yours will as well. They were told that it would be the slum area of Minneapolis. As I said, it fell flat.
By the way, there is a Coon Rapids, Iowa as well.
Name affects growth

Saint Paul, MN

#70 Tuesday Nov 18
Sangelia wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop seeing racism where there is not intended.
Sangelia,
For the sake of this discussion, I'd stipulate that there was no intentional racism intended when the Coon Rapids name was chosen. Problem is, in today's society that name carries baggage. That effects people's perception, right or wrong.

Minneapolis, MN

#71 Tuesday Nov 18
Name affects growth wrote:
<quoted text>
Sangelia,
For the sake of this discussion, I'd stipulate that there was no intentional racism intended when the Coon Rapids name was chosen. Problem is, in today's society that name carries baggage. That effects people's perception, right or wrong.
Too many folks want to see racism in something when it was NOT intended. That is pitiful when folks do that.
anit paul

Saint Paul, MN

#72 Tuesday Nov 18
Hhaayyymm Laaaayyyker wrote:
As opposed to the awesome name of "BLAINE". I've often thought about how awesome BLAINE is. Like, a combination of BLAND and PLAIN. I could just picture the classic war movie where Sergeant John Wayne is asking all the kids in his platoon where they're from. There's Joe from Jersey City, and Tyler from Waco Texas.. and BLAINE...from ...BLAINE. Great name. Awesome name. Conjures up visions of... a has been football team that can't get over the fact that their coach took a better job in a real community, and now they can't even make it to State anymore so they can...er...not win....again.
<quoted text>
Yes - and here is an additional city that is the arm pit of MN ( St. Paul ) just wipe this ghetto off the map and start over, the worst schools, the most drop outs, the worst roads and the highest taxes, this town is no saint.

and let's not miss out on the HIGH crime rate !!

Minneapolis, MN

#73 Tuesday Nov 18
Hhaayyymm Laaaayyyker wrote:
As opposed to the awesome name of "BLAINE". I've often thought about how awesome BLAINE is. Like, a combination of BLAND and PLAIN. I could just picture the classic war movie where Sergeant John Wayne is asking all the kids in his platoon where they're from. There's Joe from Jersey City, and Tyler from Waco Texas.. and BLAINE...from ...BLAINE. Great name. Awesome name. Conjures up visions of... a has been football team that can't get over the fact that their coach took a better job in a real community, and now they can't even make it to State anymore so they can...er...not win....again.
<quoted text>
Just like the history of Coon Rapids. Try learning about the history of the city's neighboring cities as well.
For example: In 1877, Blaine separated from Anoka and organized as a Township of its own. That year, the first election was held and Moses Ripley was elected as the first Chairman of the Board of Supervisors. Ripley, who had come to Minnesota from Maine, persuaded his fellow Board Members to name the new Township in honor of James G. Blaine, a senator and three-time presidential candidate from Maine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coon Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Missing Minnesota Teens Found With Man They Met... Nov 15 unknowned 1
Ramsey County city races: Vadnais Heights mayor... Nov 14 Drunkin Henry 1
Shopper City (Mar '06) Nov 12 pettacom 34
Randi Nicole Blaido Nov 8 Al DelVeccio 22
Charges: Man Started Fire In Brother's House, B... Nov 7 DILF 4
William Timlin, Who knows this crazy man? (Feb '13) Oct 28 coonrapidslife 2
Debbie Johnson: 10-year state senator Oct '14 Oh bit 1
Coon Rapids Dating
Find my Match

Coon Rapids People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Coon Rapids News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Coon Rapids

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:58 pm PST

NBC Sports 1:58PM
Packers LB Matthews probable against Vikings - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 1:58 PM
Packers LB Matthews probable against Vikings - NBC Sports
NFL 8:20 AM
Ben Tate preparing to contribute Sunday vs. Packers
NFL 6:11 AM
What is Adrian Peterson's future with Vikings?
ESPN 6:20 AM
Zimmer thinks Peterson will return to Vikes