wondering

United States

#24 Oct 20, 2010
Omg, I just saw a woman with the Kate Gosselin haircut with black hair and blonde highlights. Who on earth would have styled that? The duck hair went out of fashion a while ago. I wish Cookeville would have a salon that keeps up with current trends instead of trailing behimd.
young punk

United States

#25 Oct 20, 2010
Curly Sue wrote:
Also - what is WITH the blond hair/black streaks underneath/lowlighted/whatever ?? It's absolutely horrid. I wish that hair idea had never come into existence. I've literally not in my life seen one case of that hairstyle, on any female, and thought it had looked even close to passable.
You must be OLD! LMFAO
young punk

United States

#26 Oct 20, 2010
Omg. What is up with these girls coloring their hair!? And cutting their hair!? Who ever heard of such nonsense!

Get real people, someone else's style is their own. I bet they think your gray streaked bob is hideous!

My pink and platinum blond hair matches my tattoo's and piercings!
lollers

Mcminnville, TN

#27 Oct 20, 2010
young punk wrote:
Omg. What is up with these girls coloring their hair!? And cutting their hair!? Who ever heard of such nonsense!
Get real people, someone else's style is their own. I bet they think your gray streaked bob is hideous!
No grey streaked bob here lol. Your pink and blond hair with tattoos and piercing just makes you look like skanky white trailer trash. Not edgy, not hip...just trash. HTH skank!
dcbound

United States

#28 Oct 20, 2010
young punk wrote:
I have never seen a "gray streaked bob" though. Does that mean they gray put in? I like to see originality though some of the styles here have run its course in the bigger cities. In the end, it's everyone's choice.
okeedokee

United States

#29 Oct 20, 2010
young punk wrote:
You missed your ride; the circus left town.
drdee

United States

#30 Oct 20, 2010
young punk wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be OLD! LMFAO
You must look cheap! LMFAO
customer

Cookeville, TN

#31 Oct 21, 2010
I like the new salon majestic on burgess falls rd. they are friendly people family owned good at what they do and have very reasonable prices and i bet money you will leave happy i know the two women personally very nice and know what they are doing with hair and nails.
algood citizen

Cookeville, TN

#32 Oct 22, 2010
I drive out of town to get my hair done. I just havent found anyone here that has blown me away with their cut and color style...People are better at one and not both so you end up getting shotty color and a good cut or the other way around. My old boss used to say "why be a jack of all trades when you can be a master at one"...brilliant man.
skunk hair

Cookeville, TN

#33 Oct 22, 2010
Try Dorinda at Vern's Cutting Edge in Algood
cruella

United States

#34 Oct 22, 2010
I also drive out of town to get my hair cut and colored. Not so impressed with anyone here
algood citizen

Cookeville, TN

#35 Oct 22, 2010
cruella wrote:
I also drive out of town to get my hair cut and colored. Not so impressed with anyone here
Where do you go?
cruella

United States

#36 Oct 22, 2010
a nice place in Livingston. You?
algood citizen

Cookeville, TN

#37 Oct 22, 2010
i drive all the way to knoxville....ONLY because i used to live there and have not found anyone in cookeville that has WOWED me..its so hard to go to someone else when the people you already have do such a great job you know
cruella

Canada

#38 Oct 22, 2010
That's why I go to livingston. I would drive hours for this girl to cut my hair. Nobody else can even come close to the job she does.
Hair

Cookeville, TN

#39 Oct 23, 2010
ithink wrote:
I think the problem must be coming from the cosmetology schools around here. I would guess the instructors are not in the loop as to fashion and new techniques. I see hairdos walking around that were popular YEARS ago.
You are absolutely correct. Also keep in mind that many of the stylists in and around Cookeville actually hold barber licenses because the local barber school really isn't much different from cosmetology school and many young stylists get their training there. There are two schools in town that most everyone who does hair went to. Mister Wayne's (barber) and Genesis (cosmetology), formerly known as Middle Tennessee School of Cosmetology.

I can tell you for a fact that many, if not most, of the instructors at either school are people with little to no real world experience in an actual salon. Too often, they graduate from whatever school, get their license, then immediately return to the instructor program, which is only a few hundred more hours as an "instructor-in-training " at the very school they just graduated from. Then they are "qualified" (according to the State of Tennessee) to teach students.

These "instant" instructors aren't necessarily the best of the best from the schools, either. They are often the ones who either can't or don't want to take the time and effort to build a clientele of their own. They don't have the experience of cutting and coloring thousands of heads, of standing for hours on their feet, of developing a chair-side manner that keeps clients or of managing money or growing a business. They don't always keep up with the latest trends; rather, they simply regurgitate what their instructors told them just a few months earlier when they were still students themselves.

Want to know why so many local stylists aren't that good? Because the people who teach them don't always know what they're doing, either.
Sunflowers

Cookeville, TN

#40 Oct 24, 2010
I agree. JcPenny's is awesome.Tery Bell does my hair and has since high school. She is great at what she does. The salon is good too. Love it!
dotell

United States

#41 Oct 24, 2010
cruella wrote:
That's why I go to livingston. I would drive hours for this girl to cut my hair. Nobody else can even come close to the job she does.
Can you share more info or do you want her for yourself although I wouldn't blame you.
man of da hour

Cookeville, TN

#42 Dec 14, 2010
well i aint heard good things bout majestic on burgess falls rd. i heard the girl there was drunk and reaked of liquor i think her name is marsha burton lovell just found out my friend went to cosmotology school with her and she lied bout her having a high school diploma she had to go and get her g.e.d to finish school she really is a professioal ha a professional liar...BEWARE OF MAJESTIC HAIR SALON GO FOR A HAIRCUT AN LEAVE WITH LICE!!!! marsha burton lovell really needs a breath mint be a good citizen an stop by an help her out please she reaks of liquor
Howbout

United States

#43 Dec 14, 2010
Anyone been to Jon Beasley?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cookeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
jessica arms?.... 1 hr jangle 1
Massage 7 hr The Rock 21
.do gay men sniff other MEN's underwear? (Jul '11) 8 hr Hunk 222
Man charged with aggravated assault, robbery an... 8 hr Mr Rogers 19
Review: Animal Medical Clinic PC (May '13) 12 hr Irritated 26
Need nail tech recommendations ... 16 hr Neicy 1
In need of someone special Fri Al Henry 8
Cookeville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web