Black panther/cougar sighting
Deb

Madison, TN

#41 Dec 27, 2012
No backwoods hick here - here's our story:

We live on 50 acres with a 1/2 mile driveway. My sister was out walking her dog last week and saw what she thought was the neighbors black lab. As she watched, it started "slinking" off. She went into the house and got her binoculars and watched it a while. It "leaped" and acted like a cat - had a long curled tail. She was very scared. Called local police and they filed a report.

Talking to my son (12 yrs. old) about it yesterday and he said he saw it a couple of weeks ago as he was walking up the drivewy. He tried to take video of it but it got too low to the ground.

I called TWRA and they told me it was a large domestic cat. Don't think so - both talked about how large it was. And, just last month our dog ended up with a very deep cut on his back - had to take to the vet. We're now wondering if this cat didn't "get" him.

Needless to say, we'll be on guard!

Spotted in Goodlettsville (Sumner Co.)
Christmas light fan

Cookeville, TN

#42 Dec 27, 2012
Deb wrote:
No backwoods hick here - here's our story:
We live on 50 acres with a 1/2 mile driveway. My sister was out walking her dog last week and saw what she thought was the neighbors black lab. As she watched, it started "slinking" off. She went into the house and got her binoculars and watched it a while. It "leaped" and acted like a cat - had a long curled tail. She was very scared. Called local police and they filed a report.
Talking to my son (12 yrs. old) about it yesterday and he said he saw it a couple of weeks ago as he was walking up the drivewy. He tried to take video of it but it got too low to the ground.
I called TWRA and they told me it was a large domestic cat. Don't think so - both talked about how large it was. And, just last month our dog ended up with a very deep cut on his back - had to take to the vet. We're now wondering if this cat didn't "get" him.
Needless to say, we'll be on guard!
Spotted in Goodlettsville (Sumner Co.)
I think I saw one about 10 pm on 12/22. we went to see Chads christmas light display on Hwy 109, when we left we went back towards Lebanon on Coles Ferry pike. On the left side in a ditch, I saw a large Jet Black animal carrying/dragging what looked like a white young goat or dog, it stopped and dropped whatever it had, and froze as we passed. Its eyes looked as big as 1/2 dollars in the car headlights, greenish-yellow in color, and its face was short and round like a cats. It looked to weigh 70 - 90 pds, about 4 feet long, and about 30 - 36 inches tall. If it was a dog, it was the weirdest looking dog I've seen in my 48 years. I swear it was a large black panther/ cougar. At first I was reluctant to talk about it because I'm not 100% sure what it was, but when I mentioned it today at work to some of the guys I work with, some of them said that they or someone they knew had seen panthers before around Livingston, Monterey, Jamestown area. I think it was a black panther, and pretty big too.
J Nash

Palatka, FL

#43 Jan 31, 2013
Seen one in Arkansas. It swam across the spring river in hardy ark. No lie. Still don't believe it
Deb

Madison, TN

#44 Jan 31, 2013
I was telling my brother about our sister's sighting. He lives in West Ky. near the lakes. He said he saw one in the early 90's. He didn't tell to many people because he knew people would think he was crazy. He was on his way to go deer hunting and it crossed the road in front of his truck so he saw it in his headlights.

WZTV - 17 Nashville did a story on this. Apparently there have been MANY sightings. Haven't heard of too many black sightings but apparently they're our there.
bobo

Bowling Green, KY

#45 Feb 7, 2013
in 2008 i was traveling between somerset and london on 80 near the pulaski and laurel county ky line, when a large, lanky, long -tailed, shiny, black cat crossed the highway approximately a quarter mile in front of my vehicle. its tail was at least as long as its body and its body was at least four feet long. it was a sunny afternoon between 4 pm and 5pm central time. the cat hurried across the highway at a dead run. it croossed at the end of two guard rails on the west side of a bridge traversing a rocky valley west of penitentuary holow there in laurel county.
NNN

Cookeville, TN

#46 Feb 25, 2013
People in this area as well as surrounding states have reported seeing panthers for over a century. Not everyone is a liar. Sure, you find people here and there who like to lie and orchestrate hoaxes, but I don't believe the panther is a hoax and I have been investigating things like this for a long time. I usually know a hoax when I see one. For what it's worth, to all those who claim to have seen something strange, I believe you.
Seen it

Blacksburg, SC

#47 Feb 25, 2013
NNN wrote:
People in this area as well as surrounding states have reported seeing panthers for over a century. Not everyone is a liar. Sure, you find people here and there who like to lie and orchestrate hoaxes, but I don't believe the panther is a hoax and I have been investigating things like this for a long time. I usually know a hoax when I see one. For what it's worth, to all those who claim to have seen something strange, I believe you.
Thank you!
luvmaj

Cookeville, TN

#48 Mar 3, 2013
I saw some kind of lg cat on monterey mountain I have seen lots of bob cats and this thing was not a bob cat it was the size of a big dog and dark ran out in front of my car.
Jeff S

Meriden, CT

#49 Mar 18, 2013
My wife and I both saw a large black panther or dark colored mountain lion Sunday March 17,2013 at around 12:45 pm while driving from the village of Moosehead Lake region, Greenville Maine. We had lunch in town and were driving on RT. 6W/15N towards Jackman. The panther ran out in front of our vehicle across the road. We both saw it at the same time. The panther ran towards the lake an down into e woods. We stopped to see if we could watch him but it continued on. It was without a doubt a panther.

Anyone else see one in that area ??

Jeff S. from RI email: jts0367@aol.com
curly

United States

#50 Mar 20, 2013
over the years i have seen three or more in the creston commuinty of crossville. these were large and were seen late afternoon above the cematery first one was about 1958 and then in the sixtys and no i dont drink or do drugs my grandfather came from the mountains of nc and he said that was what we saw.
Immigirl

West Palm Beach, FL

#51 May 20, 2013
Jasper wrote:
I've not seen any black panthers around here.
The last time I seen any black panthers I was in Detroit about 10 years ago.
Saw a black panther on a friend's property west of Cookeville this morning. Couldn't believe my eyes!!
sighting

Cookeville, TN

#53 May 20, 2013
A black one was seen on stamp shady grove rd in Putnam co. about 4 weeks ago
deerman

Morrison, TN

#54 May 20, 2013
wildcat12 wrote:
It looked jet black to me and my coworker in the truck with me. He saw it or another one like it last year in the snow in the same vicinity as this sighting. A guy and his mother in Burksville, ky saw a black one in the snow last year as well and so have people in Somerset,ky, London,ky, Alabama, Georgia......

It wasn't a bobcat, it's tail was 3' long !
One was spotted in Rocky River by a turkey hunter. Also there's a video of a Mtn lion swimming toward the big island on center hill lk. Video was at sparta sporting goods.
elvis

Chicago, IL

#55 May 21, 2013
deerman wrote:
<quoted text>
One was spotted in Rocky River by a turkey hunter. Also there's a video of a Mtn lion swimming toward the big island on center hill lk. Video was at sparta sporting goods.
They need to send that video to FOX 17 in Nashville
Yur grammar sux

Tullahoma, TN

#56 May 21, 2013
pie wrote:
I seen a lot of cougars at Dogwood park Saturday.
DUDE it's "I have seen" or "I saw," not "I seen."

Damn public schools.
Sara

Crawfordville, FL

#57 Jun 11, 2013
While visiting a friend in Wakulla County on the Florida panhandle, I was out walking right before dark and saw a tan panther crossing the road right in front of me maybe a 100 feet away. He was tan and looked to weigh about 80 pounds with a long round tail that just hung straight down. He turned his head to look at me and immediately bounded into the woods on the other side of the road. It looked like a mountain lion and after getting on the internet, I discovered it was a panther. I feel very blessed to have been able to see this animal.
Amelia Autery

Snellville, GA

#58 Aug 28, 2013
get real wrote:
<quoted text>sorry but the mt lion,panther, cougar is sold in their colors the black leapord is so dark its hard to see the spots. and to help out with ur search the last known sighting that has been proven that it was a black panther was in west virgina. they also suspect that some of the black cats are coming in from mexico into texas and so forth. but they havent seen any breeding activity. the ones here like one in 500 come out black but their gean is not strong enough to carry it over when they breed. i was watching a program on this very topic a cople of days ago.
On August 28th 2013 about 7:30 am I was driving on Hwy 136 in the Chattahoochee National Forest, about 6 miles south of Villanow Georgia. I saw what I know was a Black Panther! I was much larger than any dog I've ever seen. It had a long tail, black, and moved as only cats do. It was walking about 15 yards off the road. If ever there was a doubt as to the existance of Panthers in Georgia, the DOUBT is gone!
Snow

Cookeville, TN

#59 Sep 6, 2013
There's a yellow one spotted several times south east of Cookeville. Saw it in my pasture . Dogs scared it and it forgot about the woven wire fence and hit it so hard the Trees shook and the wire broke.
It then ran trough a herd of cattle. They sure did scatter. That cougar ran faster then any animal I ever saw. No one believed me. Then it was spotted on Sheep Bluff rd. crossing the road at night. 2 witnesses that time. Yeah !
gator boy

Knoxville, TN

#60 Sep 25, 2013
Guest2222 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is technically incorrect. There is a species known as the Florida Panther, ever heard of it? Its nickname- a black panther. There is no such thing as a panther, meaning as a separate species, because the term panther is a common American nickname for a jaguar or cougar. Kind of similar to the way the name mountain lion is interchangeable with the name cougar. Basically, a black panther is a large wildcat that's fur is too dark to see its spots.
And yes there have been sightings of panthers in Tennessee for years. What these people have seen is probably one of several stray Florida Black Panthers, though the Florida Panther is now on the endangered species list.
florida panthers are NOT black they are brown and they live in the extreem southern part of the state in and around the everglades there are less than 100 in the wild and at over 800 miles away i doubt they are walking to tennessee research it and you will see i am right
Christmas light fan

Livingston, TN

#61 Sep 25, 2013
gator boy wrote:
<quoted text>florida panthers are NOT black they are brown and they live in the extreem southern part of the state in and around the everglades there are less than 100 in the wild and at over 800 miles away i doubt they are walking to tennessee research it and you will see i am right
I saw a very dark brown/ black panther in wilson/sumner county. I dont give a damn what the "research says"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cookeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
All Hell has broke loose in Sparta 6 hr OSB 120
Oddie vs eddie 7 hr Truthishere 1
The mayor of Nashville was doing it in the ceme... 7 hr Educated American 7
Eddie Shoupe -White county Cop 10 hr Fkoff spray 25
Unitarians in Ridgecrest 16 hr Joseph DeDominicis 17
Hawg barn 16 hr Boomer 5
Uchra 18 hr concerned 25

Cookeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance