Since: Oct 09

Washington, DC

#21 Apr 24, 2012
hmmm wrote:
Panthers are leopards with a genetic mutation that make them all black.
There are also militant negroes...known as black panthers... but we haven't seen one of those in these parts in a long time. They tend to stay up north where their pray aren't allowed to own firearms and defend themselves, but I digress...
It's possible for any species of cat to have a genetic mutation that gives it black fur. I wouldn't rule it out.
Google big black cat sightings, black panther sightings, add the word "Topix" to the search and you'll see a lot of people are seeing "big black cats" ... somerset, ky., burksville, ky., Camden, Tn., Georgia, north and south Carolina, lot's of places.....

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#22 Apr 25, 2012
Another big black sighting in Jackson county today, just wish someone would get a good photo of one

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#23 Apr 25, 2012
.... "big black cat" !
Cmrodeo

United States

#24 Apr 28, 2012
wildcat12 wrote:
Has anyone else seen a large black cat? At 6:30 a.m. while traveling on highway 85 just east of Hilham Elementary I and a coworker riding with me saw a big black cat. It was about 3 feet hight and looked to be around 60 lbs or so. It started across the road but when it was us coming it turned around and when back into the tall grass from which it came
On April 26 2012 3:00am Thursday morning I was heading home from A rodeo in Lufkin, tx and just east of Jasper, tx round Newton on hwy 190 I seen a black panther. I've watched monster quest and believed after , there was no such thing in the US . But I am an advit hunter and have seen mountain lions in the wild and what I seen was the same size and look except it was black with a little white spot on its chest. It had a long round tail that curled upward. When I seen it I slowed down to see it and it just walked along 10 yards on side of road without a worry.
get real

Cookeville, TN

#25 May 1, 2012
Guest2222 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is technically incorrect. There is a species known as the Florida Panther, ever heard of it? Its nickname- a black panther. There is no such thing as a panther, meaning as a separate species, because the term panther is a common American nickname for a jaguar or cougar. Kind of similar to the way the name mountain lion is interchangeable with the name cougar. Basically, a black panther is a large wildcat that's fur is too dark to see its spots.
And yes there have been sightings of panthers in Tennessee for years. What these people have seen is probably one of several stray Florida Black Panthers, though the Florida Panther is now on the endangered species list.
sorry but the mt lion,panther, cougar is sold in their colors the black leapord is so dark its hard to see the spots. and to help out with ur search the last known sighting that has been proven that it was a black panther was in west virgina. they also suspect that some of the black cats are coming in from mexico into texas and so forth. but they havent seen any breeding activity. the ones here like one in 500 come out black but their gean is not strong enough to carry it over when they breed. i was watching a program on this very topic a cople of days ago.
jringo

Greenwood, IN

#26 May 8, 2012
just got back from gatlinburg tn. 5/7/12 me my wife and 2 adult children seen what looked like a black panther. its size is what caught our attention. we have 2 cats and 3 dogs so we know what domestic cat looks like.the animal we seen was at 50 yards and it was every big as our largest basset hound (65 pounds) when panther notice us it froze like wild animal would and stayed frozen until we left area.i have hunted for over 35 years and seen domestic in the wild and seen bobcats this was a black panther
CklRes

Fayetteville, NC

#27 May 8, 2012
jringo wrote:
just got back from gatlinburg tn. 5/7/12 me my wife and 2 adult children seen what looked like a black panther. its size is what caught our attention. we have 2 cats and 3 dogs so we know what domestic cat looks like.the animal we seen was at 50 yards and it was every big as our largest basset hound (65 pounds) when panther notice us it froze like wild animal would and stayed frozen until we left area.i have hunted for over 35 years and seen domestic in the wild and seen bobcats this was a black panther
You people are freakin idiot$
pie

Novi, MI

#28 May 8, 2012
I seen a lot of cougars at Dogwood park Saturday.

United States

#29 May 8, 2012
jringo wrote:
Where did you see it ? Did you get a picture ?
jringo

Greenwood, IN

#30 May 9, 2012
we saw the animal as we were leaving our 6th floor condo that was facing mountain side on bryans creek road it was 7:15 in morning .my wife tried to take pc but was still a little to dark to get on phone camera.what got our attention was the size of animal.this animal was every bit the size of our 2 basset hounds this was no domestic cat. we have a friend that has 2 domestic cats that wiegh 25 pounds plus.they our short and fat.this black that 4 adults seen sunday morning on may 6 2012 was 3 feet long. after geting to r car my wife googled black panther sightings and what we seen on google was exactly what 4 adults witness that morning.we were in gatlinburg for relaxing and fun we didnt come here to start unprofound rumors about panthers. it is what is. 4 grown adults witnesss a black panther .when someone can send me a pic of a domestic thats 3 feet long and is as black and sleek as the animal we seen then im a firm believer we seen a (florida) black panther.

Hollywood, FL

#31 May 10, 2012
jringo wrote:
we saw the animal as we were leaving our 6th floor condo that was facing mountain side on bryans creek road it was 7:15 in morning .my wife tried to take pc but was still a little to dark to get on phone camera.what got our attention was the size of animal.this animal was every bit the size of our 2 basset hounds this was no domestic cat. we have a friend that has 2 domestic cats that wiegh 25 pounds plus.they our short and fat.this black that 4 adults seen sunday morning on may 6 2012 was 3 feet long. after geting to r car my wife

googled black panther sightings and what we seen on google was exactly what 4 adults witness that morning.we were in gatlinburg for relaxing and fun we didnt come here to start unprofound rumors about panthers. it is what is. 4 grown adults witnesss a black panther .when someone can send me a pic of a domestic thats 3 feet long and is as black and sleek as the animal we seen then im a firm believer we seen a (florida) black panther.
I hear ya.... check out west Tennessee cougar sightings.com and eastern puma research.com
JASPER

Johnson City, TN

#32 May 10, 2012
dinkydao wrote:
My great grand daddy seed a black panter she clawed his back and buttocks up something fierce that before she wad Wed to him and that the story of our famlee tree spanky
Don't you mean afro american panther!
Jasper

Cookeville, TN

#33 May 10, 2012
I've not seen any black panthers around here.
The last time I seen any black panthers I was in Detroit about 10 years ago.
truethis

Kimberly, WV

#34 Jun 13, 2012
I saw a large, black cat while driving in WV one night accompanied by my son, First thought, it was a dog, but it definitely was a cat, about 60-80 lbs. Solid back, round ears, and spooky as hell. I've never seen a UFO, and am not crazy,lolo. I know what we saw, but have no explanation. We just looked at each other in shock.
vgg

Aiken, SC

#35 Aug 5, 2012
I recently saw a black panther on I-77 heading south near the Camden exit! Called DNR same response they don't exist -well this one does. He was beautiful - almost hit him - thank god I didn't - looked right at me! It was one of the greatest things that I have ever seen!!!
Tracy

Griffin, GA

#36 Sep 8, 2012
Have seen big black cat, twice now, in Greensboro, Ga. Huge. Tail is long as arms width. Hoping our trail cameras will get a pic!!!
cougar tracker

Cookeville, TN

#37 Sep 9, 2012
I saw a cougar this morning at 237 am in walmart parking lot headed towards the bus garage

“John Averitt is a molester.”

Since: Nov 08

Cookeville

#38 Sep 10, 2012
I'd herd of one being out at fairfield glade before but i know nothing of that particular cat.
Alcoa Football

United States

#39 Nov 9, 2012
East Tennessee sightings in Rockford on Hollybrook rd... 3 total in last year...BIG BLACK PANTHER!!
State Biologist

Brentwood, TN

#40 Dec 5, 2012
While they are still officially denied, many if not most of my co-workers have also spotted large cats in several parts of Tennessee. While most are the classic tan color, a few have been very dark in color. The dark ones, may be natural, or the result of folks breeding them, then releasing, escape, etc. Several folks in my neighborhood have spotted cougars lately. From discriptions of color and size, I would say 2-3 individuals.
wildcat12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Google big black cat sightings, black panther sightings, add the word "Topix" to the search and you'll see a lot of people are seeing "big black cats" ... somerset, ky., burksville, ky., Camden, Tn., Georgia, north and south Carolina, lot's of places.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cookeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 9 min qwerty 9,479
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 19 min miss tuffet 152,439
are Obamabots eyes opening to this disastrous p... 25 min Red Bastien 2
It's Pow Wow time in Cookeville!!!! (Sep '12) 30 min loveTheVeal_CashF... 31
Algood Walmart Ripoff 39 min jmburd 3
Dr. Guillory's receptionist 46 min Up Set 2
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 1 hr TheRealZeke 8,648

Cookeville Jobs

Cookeville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Cookeville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Cookeville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]