Black panther/cougar sighting

Posted in the Cookeville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Oct 09

Washington, DC

#1 Apr 20, 2012
Has anyone else seen a large black cat? At 6:30 a.m. while traveling on highway 85 just east of Hilham Elementary I and a coworker riding with me saw a big black cat. It was about 3 feet hight and looked to be around 60 lbs or so. It started across the road but when it was us coming it turned around and when back into the tall grass from which it came
dinkydao

Nashville, TN

#2 Apr 20, 2012
I have heard of similar sightings on cub my and around wilder
lawl

Cookeville, TN

#3 Apr 20, 2012
dinkydao wrote:
I have heard of similar sightings on cub my and around wilder
How 'bout in English?
Robert Derpsfield

Cookeville, TN

#4 Apr 20, 2012
Are you sure it wasn't my winky?
dinkydao

Nashville, TN

#5 Apr 21, 2012
My great grand daddy seed a black panter she clawed his back and buttocks up something fierce that before she wad Wed to him and that the story of our famlee tree spanky

Winnsboro, SC

#6 Apr 21, 2012
I used to live in that area and yes you most likely have seen the same cat I saw three times.. It is huge!!!!!

Washington, DC

#7 Apr 21, 2012
Guest wrote:
I used to live in that area and yes you most likely have seen the same cat I saw three times.. It is huge!!!!!
Hey guest... did you tell any TWRA folks about it?
reality checker

United States

#8 Apr 22, 2012
Seen any bigfoot?
dinkydao

United States

#9 Apr 22, 2012
Hope one dem Damn panters gets Kim
guy

United States

#10 Apr 22, 2012
There's been a panther spotted on my road in jackson county close to the hilham area. My neighbor has a picture.

Washington, DC

#11 Apr 22, 2012
guy wrote:
There's been a panther spotted on my road in jackson county close to the hilham area. My neighbor has a picture.
I want to see the picture !!!
b3

Pauline, SC

#12 Apr 22, 2012
Pure BS. Their is no such animal as a black panther. Anywhere. There are large black cats such as leopards, jaguars, etc. No black mountain lions period.
funny

Columbus, NC

#13 Apr 22, 2012
You call the game wardens and they will laugh at you. Trust me, I have seen/almost shot a black panther. Called TWRA they didnt believe me- go figure. There have been several sightings in different areas. So don't listen to people who think it is not possible.

Washington, DC

#14 Apr 22, 2012
funny wrote:
You call the game wardens and they will laugh at you. Trust me, I have seen/almost shot a black panther. Called TWRA they didnt believe me- go figure. There have been several sightings in different areas. So don't listen to people who think it is not possible.
Hey funny.... I understand... that's why I am researching these sighting and there are many according to posts on Topix in towns from Somerset, ky to Lewisburg, Tn! I have a call in now to somebody at TWRA
Yep

Greeneville, TN

#15 Apr 22, 2012
I had some family tell me they have seen one of these once on their farm. I believe them.
b3

Shelby, NC

#16 Apr 23, 2012
funny wrote:
Did big foot scare it off before you got your shot!
Guest2222

United States

#17 Apr 24, 2012
b3 wrote:
Pure BS. Their is no such animal as a black panther. Anywhere. There are large black cats such as leopards, jaguars, etc. No black mountain lions period.
This is technically incorrect. There is a species known as the Florida Panther, ever heard of it? Its nickname- a black panther. There is no such thing as a panther, meaning as a separate species, because the term panther is a common American nickname for a jaguar or cougar. Kind of similar to the way the name mountain lion is interchangeable with the name cougar. Basically, a black panther is a large wildcat that's fur is too dark to see its spots.
And yes there have been sightings of panthers in Tennessee for years. What these people have seen is probably one of several stray Florida Black Panthers, though the Florida Panther is now on the endangered species list.

Washington, DC

#18 Apr 24, 2012
It looked jet black to me and my coworker in the truck with me. He saw it or another one like it last year in the snow in the same vicinity as this sighting. A guy and his mother in Burksville, ky saw a black one in the snow last year as well and so have people in Somerset,ky, London,ky, Alabama, Georgia......

It wasn't a bobcat, it's tail was 3' long !
dinkydao

Columbus, NC

#19 Apr 24, 2012
They are about reclusive unless not well fed heard they love Yankee folks in the spring time don't eat hillbillies we too fuzzy and smell like buzzards droppings
hmmm

Cookeville, TN

#20 Apr 24, 2012
Panthers are leopards with a genetic mutation that make them all black.

There are also militant negroes...known as black panthers... but we haven't seen one of those in these parts in a long time. They tend to stay up north where their pray aren't allowed to own firearms and defend themselves, but I digress...

It's possible for any species of cat to have a genetic mutation that gives it black fur. I wouldn't rule it out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cookeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kid walked out of First Baptist Mothers Day Out 2 hr Deb 3
mary beth bohannon thank god they finally got her (Feb '12) 2 hr Greedy 5
Cummins Falls 3 hr easier to find 14
guitar store in cookeville (Nov '10) 5 hr Barrybonds 18
Be watchful of ARABS 11 hr shadow 76
What drugs do probation officers test for? (Aug '12) 12 hr Wizeguy 179
Cookeville cavs football 2015 17 hr Uh Huh 11
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cookeville Mortgages