First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Becky

Brentwood, TN

#1 Sep 10, 2008
I've heard alot of people having a hard time getting jobs after graduating from Med Vance. Has anyone went there or know of anyone who has? I'm thinking about enrolling there but I'm not quite sure.
Jersey Girl

Allons, TN

#2 Sep 10, 2008
I've encountered several people who attended MedVance who couldn't find work after graduating. From what I understand, they can help place you, but often times the positions are out of state and relocation becomes an issue for the students.

Best thing to do is to go and speak to someone and find out what their policy is on placement... and then consider whether you might be willing to relocate IF that will be easier to gain employment.
greenjean

Maryville, TN

#3 Sep 10, 2008
Medvance is not accredited and some places won't hire if you did not graduate from an accredited school. They sure charge a lot of $$$ though.

“Missing the 70's”

Since: Aug 08

Jackson county

#4 Sep 10, 2008
Check out the posts about it on the Livingston Forum.I know I had a friend that took medical
coding there and she Never got a job doing that
and it's not cheap to go there
Lexie

Jamestown, TN

#5 Sep 16, 2008
My daughter went to Medvance and had a job in 2 weeks after graduating, she had at least 20 Doctors call her for a job as receptionist. She is still with the same Dr who hired her 8 yrs later.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#6 Sep 17, 2008
A job as a receptionist doesn't require any special training. Odds are, she would have gotten the job with vocational secretarial training. I doubt Medvance had much to do with it. Give your daughter the credit for getting the job!
lexie

Jamestown, TN

#7 Sep 17, 2008
She is an assistant now she had to take medical terminolgy at medvance.
just me

Monroe, TN

#8 Sep 17, 2008
lexie wrote:
She is an assistant now she had to take medical terminolgy at medvance.
I took the Medical Terminology at the Livingston Vo-Tech School.I had no trouble finding a job at all.And I didn't pay much for it at all.
Jersey Girl

Allons, TN

#9 Sep 18, 2008
I took a home-study course from an accredited school in Medical Transcription... I have knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, physiology, etc etc... and two years later I'm still trying to find something in the "field". I've tried for positions in medical records, reception, etc and nothing. I have the equivalent of 1 year experience in Transcription, knowledge of the subjects I mentioned above, and typing/computer knowledge... if you ask me, I think I'm either too qualified for some positions, not qualified enough for others, and just don't know the right people!!
Billy

Monterey, TN

#10 Sep 18, 2008
Becky wrote:
I've heard alot of people having a hard time getting jobs after graduating from Med Vance. Has anyone went there or know of anyone who has? I'm thinking about enrolling there but I'm not quite sure.
Be smart and go to Livingston to the technology school.
johnny

Glasgow, KY

#11 Sep 18, 2008
Billy wrote:
<quoted text>Be smart and go to Livingston to the technology school.
billy does your last name start with an h
Doll

Lancaster, SC

#12 Sep 26, 2008
Becky dont waste your money going to Medvance. My daughter went there they didnt place her in the field she was trained for. They just try to get you any kind of job when you get out. She had the highrest grades of anyone in her class. A TOTAL WASTE

“whoo hoo I'm here!!!!!!!!!!!”

Since: Sep 08

Livingston, TN

#13 Oct 12, 2008
Go to the technology school in Livingston! It's cheaper than MedVance and they ACTUALLY care and try to help you get a job after graduating. I am currently enrolled in the technology school and they have just recently helped me find a job and I don't graduate til December! It's an excellent school!

“Obama said the USA is "one ”

Since: Mar 08

nation under Allah"? PROVE IT!

#14 Oct 16, 2008
get real people......a school is there to educate you.....it doesnt exist to find you a job.....look in the want ads or go to the unemployment office for that stuff......medvance may have changed but it used to be a great school that turned out qualified people.....ive known lots of people who went to medvance and got jobs.......maybe you dont get the job your trained for .there are no guarantees but you take another job and watch and wait until an opening appears in your field......Id rather be working in a hospital in medical records waiting for a lab job to open up than be outside looking in trying to get the next lab job.......medical career training is expensive,its not just med vance...some of the machines used to train on cost many thousands of dollars and have to be replaced quite often ........
big dogg

Cookeville, TN

#15 Oct 21, 2008
i go to medvance its a great school they want guarntee you a job thats up to you dont believ these rumors i like all the staff
karen

Monroe, TN

#16 Oct 21, 2008
big dogg wrote:
i go to medvance its a great school they want guarntee you a job thats up to you dont believ these rumors i like all the staff
the bad thing is they are not an accredited school and most places wont even recognize your diploma because of that.I know people that have spent thousands of dollars going there and have yet to get a job in the field.You would be better off to go to the vo-tech school in livingston.Oh sure the staff is nice but that has nothing to do with your diploma and getting a job.
big dogg

Cookeville, TN

#17 Oct 21, 2008
hello accredited or not you have the same certification as any other school i already have a job lined up and i only been there 2 months
Pharm Tech Man

Fort Dodge, IA

#18 Oct 28, 2008
You take a certification test at the end of the program. They help you prepare for it. This is what gets you a job. They help you prepare your resume and how to interview for jobs. They have to maintain an 85% hiring percentage from their students or they get shut down. Its like anything else. The more you put into it, the more you will get out of it.
Just Wanted To Say

Allons, TN

#19 Oct 28, 2008
I am on the business side of the medical field and have been for years. It really depends on the job you are looking for. In other words, if you train there for a billing coder, your options are limited in this town. Usually only hospitals may find that useful. Even then, they may hire people who have previous experience in a medical environment of any capacity. Scrub Techs? there again hospital and outpatient surgery centers use these so limited workplaces in this town. Not saying the school isn't a good learning tool but research the actual job of interest and realize your options before you enroll. This isn't Nashville and unless you want to move, then take the class that will give you the upperhand for where you want to live. And yes, no one can get you a job. People with less education sometimes get the job due to their enthusiasm and personality during an interview. Lots of things can be taught to the right person. And in my experience, no school can completely prepare you like on the job learning. A good Medical Terminology Class will do wonders. That's the hardest part to learn (or to teach a new employee.) But giving the impression you are willing to learn anything new will give you positive results along with willing to do a little grunt work if necessary. Lots of people want to start at the top just because they have a piece of paper. It doesn't work that - in most jobs - even if you are a college grad.
Just Wanted To Say

Allons, TN

#20 Oct 28, 2008
And to add, most people you see doing insurance billing, patient accounts or even business positions in a physician's office or clinic are people who started at the front desk and proved themselves to be capable of more challenging positions. If you're going to school to be a Medical Assistant, then try to find a part-time or weekend job in a clinic, hospital phlebotomist or anything medical, even if it's filing charts! You'll learn a lot just being in the environment and it looks good on your resume.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cookeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
rehab at signature 42 min Loverboy 9
algood cheating while working 51 min Loverboy 2
Bankruptcy Lawyer 54 min SmallTownGirl 1
Trump that benefit the ultra-wealthy at the ex... 2 hr Sigmund 6
Hacked cellphone 3 hr templeton 2
Thief 3 hr templeton 5
Cell phones 3 hr templeton 8

Cookeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance