wedding photography
hujid

Byrdstown, TN

#1 Jan 27, 2009
I do not understand why people are paying 2000 plus for wedding photography when you can get it much cheaper. How can people charge others that.

Since: Jan 09

Monterey, TN

#2 Jan 28, 2009
hujid wrote:
I do not understand why people are paying 2000 plus for wedding photography when you can get it much cheaper. How can people charge others that.
Look at some of the work Duels in Cookeville have done and you'll see 2k will get ya. We used Duels for our sons first year of pics. and would have used them for our wedding if we got married here instead of Florida.

Do you understand how much camera equipment costs? I have close to 10k in camera equipment and it's rubbish compared to what they use. I'm sure some of the camera bodies only cost 10k.

http://www.deuelsphotography.com/go.pwdg/ente...

Since: Jun 08

Cookeville, TN

#3 Apr 12, 2009
You are only worth what people will pay for your services. If you arent any good, people wont pay that much. If you are insanely good, you can charge as much as you want and people will pay it. People arent forced to pay any particular price for a photographer because there are photogs of all prices and skill levels that you can hire. Anybody from the most well known photog in the state who will charge ten grand to your cousin who has a camera and will do it for a hundred bucks. I dont consider it wrong to price your services accordingly to your own skill level and the market.

- thomasmckownphoto.com
A professionals opinion

Cookeville, TN

#4 Feb 5, 2010
Valid point of paying for what you like. If you are good, people will pay. There is so much more to photography than the cost of equipment. A professional photography pays his own way.. health insurance, taxes, studio rental, workshops, seminars, constantly keeping up with technology.. computers, software etc. The value of a seasoned professional not only lies in the eye of their creativity but also in the experiences learned along the way. BEing able to think and react quickly to a (sun or darkness) lighting problem or sudden rain outburst.. problem solving on the fly to get the shot is crucial when shooting weddings. There are many variables that only experience can solve. I personally have a BFA in fine art, expertise in design and over 12 years working as a professional photographer. My amateur interestes go back 25+ years. I own over $40K in equipment, over $2000 in the latest editing sofware.. computers, monitors etc.. its endless. Well..$2000 is not a bad price to pay for wedding photography if you are working with a talented professional.$4000-$5000 is at the high end of what I personally offer. I cant touch a wedding for under $1500. You also have to think a little outside the box.. the time for consultations with bride and groom.. before and after their wedding.. the hours shooting the wedding day of and also the many hours after editing and retouching not to mention the number of hours put into an album design.. said and done.. each wedding I shoot, I have put 40+ hours working on it. My assistant gets $150 for the day, travel expenses, materials for prints, albums, proofing, discs, etc etc etc. Maybe this gives you a little better picture of why a professional charges so much. Unfortuately in teh wedding industry, there are those people who are not truly professional photographers who get into it soley for hte money. They show up with their Canon Rebel with flash on camera set to Auto mode. They do not retouch, edit or enhance their images.. their "eye" may or may not be good at composisiton and their ability to capture the day's emotion, expression and or pose may be limited. Enough said.. You will get what you pay for.
shooter

Crossville, TN

#5 Nov 29, 2011
A professionals opinion wrote:
Valid point of paying for what you like. If you are good, people will pay. There is so much more to photography than the cost of equipment. A professional photography pays his own way.. health insurance, taxes, studio rental, workshops, seminars, constantly keeping up with technology.. computers, software etc. The value of a seasoned professional not only lies in the eye of their creativity but also in the experiences learned along the way. BEing able to think and react quickly to a (sun or darkness) lighting problem or sudden rain outburst.. problem solving on the fly to get the shot is crucial when shooting weddings. There are many variables that only experience can solve. I personally have a BFA in fine art, expertise in design and over 12 years working as a professional photographer. My amateur interestes go back 25+ years. I own over $40K in equipment, over $2000 in the latest editing sofware.. computers, monitors etc.. its endless. Well..$2000 is not a bad price to pay for wedding photography if you are working with a talented professional.$4000-$5000 is at the high end of what I personally offer. I cant touch a wedding for under $1500. You also have to think a little outside the box.. the time for consultations with bride and groom.. before and after their wedding.. the hours shooting the wedding day of and also the many hours after editing and retouching not to mention the number of hours put into an album design.. said and done.. each wedding I shoot, I have put 40+ hours working on it. My assistant gets $150 for the day, travel expenses, materials for prints, albums, proofing, discs, etc etc etc. Maybe this gives you a little better picture of why a professional charges so much. Unfortuately in teh wedding industry, there are those people who are not truly professional photographers who get into it soley for hte money. They show up with their Canon Rebel with flash on camera set to Auto mode. They do not retouch, edit or enhance their images.. their "eye" may or may not be good at composisiton and their ability to capture the day's emotion, expression and or pose may be limited. Enough said.. You will get what you pay for.
OMG! I am a amature photographer and what I have learned in the business of photography is that those who consider themselves "professional" also consider themselves god!!!
Find Jeff Mackie

Brentwood, TN

#6 Dec 3, 2011
Jeff w/ Be Here Now Photography took pictures of my son right before he turned two. I couldn't have been more satisfied. The pictures turned out great and he was very reasonably priced.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cookeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Entire Family Turns Transgender 1 hr Steve Jobs 5
Gaw/city of cookeville 2 hr Maggie 8
Down the drain 2 hr Maggie 2
What do you want to see in Cookeville? 8 hr Jerry H 40
News Council votes to buy property for police station 9 hr soapopera 10
The neck face & t!tty tattoo generation just ke... (Apr '16) 11 hr Who Svarted 32
Man walking streets (May '15) 11 hr Dan Svarted 79

Cookeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cookeville Mortgages