Screw Christmas presents, we can't bu...

Screw Christmas presents, we can't buy food!

Posted in the Cookeville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Need help

Cookeville, TN

#1 Dec 6, 2012
Anyone know where we can get food to put on the table? We haven't been able to get food stamps in the past and did get commodities from UCHRA once, but the food was old and inedible.

My workers comp benefits just ended but my employer is ignoring me about coming back to work with the assigned restrictions. The only income we have is from hubby's $8/hr 30/hr a week job. We did manage to pay our rent for this month, but nothing else.

I see people begging for expensive Christmas presents, but I don't give a damn about Christmas presents when we can't feed ourselves and our two boys. There are more important things that toys...like food, electricity, shelter, and water.
maybe

Cookeville, TN

#2 Dec 6, 2012
You can go to churches (Stevens Street Baptist will help a little with electric bills, and they have a Care Center for clothes and food)

But making around $300 a week will not get you food stamps. According to the state, you make too much money. You could go to online places like "Odds N Ends" on Facebook, post your story, and some people in the area may be able to rally together and help you out for the holidays.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#3 Dec 6, 2012
Need help wrote:
Anyone know where we can get food to put on the table? We haven't been able to get food stamps in the past and did get commodities from UCHRA once, but the food was old and inedible.
My workers comp benefits just ended but my employer is ignoring me about coming back to work with the assigned restrictions. The only income we have is from hubby's $8/hr 30/hr a week job. We did manage to pay our rent for this month, but nothing else.
I see people begging for expensive Christmas presents, but I don't give a damn about Christmas presents when we can't feed ourselves and our two boys. There are more important things that toys...like food, electricity, shelter, and water.
According to what you say, your household income is only $960 a month. The guidelines for a family of four, maximum income level is $2498. Go reapply!
life

Monterey, TN

#4 Dec 6, 2012
Why not just get another job? Any job is better than no job.

“[REWOP]”

Since: Dec 12

Charleston, SC

#5 Dec 6, 2012
Try to sell some stuff you can live without on lsn craigslist ebay etc. Good luck.
Apples

Mcminnville, TN

#6 Dec 6, 2012
It's not just the monthly income they look at, it is also resources. Looks like DHS would have added the workers comp with hubby's gross, don't know what that adds up to... but it may have put you over. Call the churches they usually help.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#7 Dec 6, 2012
she statd her workers comp ended
cowgirlup

Cookeville, TN

#8 Dec 6, 2012
try cutting out your internet bill...
Bonnie

Cookeville, TN

#9 Dec 10, 2012
cowgirlup wrote:
try cutting out your internet bill...
as i guess you didnt know you can get internet unlimited nowadays on a straighttalk phone or any prepaid phone so cutting internet is not going to help this woman get food on her table now is it.???
I hope you have found some places to get what you need i dont know enough about this town to help you out sorry
Helping Hands

Harriman, TN

#11 Dec 11, 2012
Go to Helping Hands...they will provide food for your family. I just donated food to them just for people like you.

I have been where you are, and I hope you guys get back on your feet soon.
what

Cookeville, TN

#12 Dec 11, 2012
There are countless places all over the county (and state, for that matter) that give food to the needy year-round. I've been both a donor and a recipient and can attest to the fact that they give generously. Many will even help you pay your bills. There's no excuse for acting like the government owes you something.

“John Averitt is a molester.”

Since: Nov 08

Cookeville

#13 Dec 11, 2012
There are a couple of places around that may be able to assist you.
trolling

United States

#14 Dec 11, 2012
Helping Hands wrote:
Go to Helping Hands...they will provide food for your family. I just donated food to them just for people like you.
I have been where you are, and I hope you guys get back on your feet soon.
Well done. I never get belligerent with someone down and out, you never know when you'll be on the receiving end of charity.
The Kid Rulz

Cookeville, TN

#16 Dec 11, 2012
trinity assembly church will help but they force you to watch a movie about god and prey for you. If you can get past being humiliated they will help, helping hands will help some people, but they try every way too find a loop hole too not help you. There is a list you can get from d.h.s that has places, addresses, phone numbers on it. good luck.
God Child

Livingston, TN

#18 Dec 11, 2012
The Kid Rulz wrote:
trinity assembly church will help but they force you to watch a movie about god and prey for you. If you can get past being humiliated they will help, helping hands will help some people, but they try every way too find a loop hole too not help you. There is a list you can get from d.h.s that has places, addresses, phone numbers on it. good luck.
Trinity is a cult church
Omg really

Lexington, NC

#19 Dec 11, 2012
what wrote:
There are countless places all over the county (and state, for that matter) that give food to the needy year-round. I've been both a donor and a recipient and can attest to the fact that they give generously. Many will even help you pay your bills. There's no excuse for acting like the government owes you something.
I hope you never find yourself in this kind of position. No need to preach to her. We better remember what the bible says about helping those in need.....and judge not that ye be not judged.
simple

Cookeville, TN

#20 Dec 11, 2012
Here's a novel idea...get another job. Hubby can get a second job too. Would you rather work at McDonald's or the chicken plant or starve? Think about your kids. Make it happen yourself. You can do it.
Need help

Cookeville, TN

#21 Dec 11, 2012
We just go on here in the hopes that people would give us some coins to get a bowl.
Apples

Mcminnville, TN

#22 Dec 11, 2012
um yeah1212 wrote:
she statd her workers comp ended
Even though the workers comp ended, as I read in her statement, Food stamps count the last week pay stubs.
Shame

Belmont, NC

#23 Dec 12, 2012
It's a damn shame like with everything else. The DHS only help the ones that do NOTHING to help themselves. Here's a thought. Have your hubby quit his job and then you can get approved for everything. I'm sorry you are having a hard time. I've been there. I'm a single mom and only make enough to get 80.00 a month Fs. I'm very grateful, but I also work my butt off. I hate the fact the ones that are the latest get the most. There is something wrong with that picture.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cookeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What ever happend to Stephen Hugueley? (Oct '10) 29 min posom head 77
Soard 2 hr Grassroot 4
Anyone know the details of the Ben ford child r... 2 hr Tim kinniard 15
Aaron swallows rape charge 3 hr Abbie 10
111 swingers club 4 hr Swinger 2
Dawn at Harley Davidson in Cookeville 4 hr Inquiring Minds 11
Chevy Dealer 5 hr Big Dog 1
More from around the web

Cookeville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE