Puelo's Grill closing?
Hermit

United States

#1 Feb 17, 2011
I've heard its closing or has already closed. Is this true? I don't get to Cookeville much but I really liked the food there the couple of times I ate there.

Any other new places to eat opened in Cookeville lately?

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#2 Feb 17, 2011
It is been closed for a couple of months now. According to some of the employees the owner came in from Knoxville(?) one day and told them to close the doors and that the building had been sold. He said it was sold to another restaurant, but no activity has been seen since then.
I like Puelos

Cookeville, TN

#3 Feb 17, 2011
Hermit wrote:
I've heard its closing or has already closed. Is this true? I don't get to Cookeville much but I really liked the food there the couple of times I ate there.
Any other new places to eat opened in Cookeville lately?
It is claimed to be closing for a re-model.....but the wait-staff is not too sure about that...at least until they are told a projected reopen date.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#4 Feb 17, 2011
Yeh but for a remodel not one contractor has been there since they closed. I would like to see it happen but doesnt look good.
well

Lebanon, TN

#5 Feb 17, 2011
i miss rafferty's.
truth

Boiling Springs, SC

#6 Feb 17, 2011
I've heard they are only remodeling. And will be reopen late spring.
None of you know

Cookeville, TN

#7 Feb 17, 2011
The store closed just a little over a month ago. The regular staff showed up and was working on opening the restaurant when the regional manager Kelly Ledbetter called and told the GM Susan to send everyone home that they would not be opening again.
It truly was no surprise because that store never did pick up like the ones in Knoxville did. Which is a shame because they have amazing food at great prices. But unfortunately the Name Puelos (named after part owner and chef Steve Puelo) confused people. Alot of people thought it was just another mexican joint. But it was so much more. But people not knowing what they served was the least of their problems. They brought in an older woman whos only experience managing was at Cracker Barrel. Not saying anything bad about the company, Just the two companies are completely different. Cracker Barrel sells itself. There is no need for any major marketing ploys cause that place has been around for ages and is not going anywhere. So she got into Puleos and thought it was going to sell itself too. But it didnt and she had no clue how to advertise and market and the place went downhill fast.
Anyways the building was not sold. The people who jointly own puleos have many businesses and the building is being held onto for a few months and a new concept will be open there. To give them credit all of the Knoxville stores do great and are all very tasty. But I have a feeling that this will once again be a failure. All because they have promised "Susan" the GM position. I guess we will see though. But that is what happened with Puleos. Now you have the rest of the story!
Hermit

United States

#8 Feb 17, 2011
Thanks guys! Great responses from all.sorry to hear it closed.
too bad

Manchester, TN

#9 Feb 18, 2011
i heard they will reopen. they already have people that will be going to get rehired,the rest will not be. and yeah susan does not know how to run a restaurant. its her fault probably, and the name of the restaurant sound kind of different.
ooo

Cookeville, TN

#10 Feb 18, 2011
Will be missed
pat magroin

United States

#11 Feb 19, 2011
It had good food but the portions were small and their mixed drinks were weak as heck.

I think the name confused people into thinking it was just another mexican place. I'm not sure it will reopen---if it does it won't last--been there done that kind of thing.
None of you know

Cookeville, TN

#12 Feb 19, 2011
Puleo's will not be reopening in this town. Im not sure which one of their other concept stores they intend to open here, but I know that it is almost certain that it wont be puleos again.

Their food was excellent when they first opened and the portions were huge. Not sure what happened there. But I know when they lost Kitchen manager Moe that things went downhill quality wise. That man ran a tight kitchen that was always on point.
Balzac

United States

#13 Feb 19, 2011
Yeah puelos won't be back. People won't go back to a place that has flopped and shut down.

Cookeville needs a Hooters. Why don't we have one already?
cruella

United States

#14 Feb 19, 2011
gosh I hope it comes back. I really like the place.
Sad

Norway, SC

#15 Feb 19, 2011
the white chicken chili nachos were amazing.
knoxman

Murfreesboro, TN

#16 Feb 19, 2011
Puleo's is not closing. They're taking a couple of months to renovate the interior of the restaurant: new carpet, new kitchen, etc. About 20 days ago they said they'll reopen in 60 days, which would be towards the beginning of April.

http://www.herald-citizen.com/view/full_story... ?
Well

Cookeville, TN

#17 Feb 21, 2011
You cant believe everything the news paper says. That is not remotely close to what all the employees who lost their jobs got told. I personally know one of the managers from there and he went to a different company because he was told they were not coming back. SO I guess I will believe it when I see it Seeing as how there hasn't been anyone parked at the store working on it thus far.
too bad

Cookeville, TN

#18 Feb 25, 2011
they will reopen, it will not be called puleo's anymore. they havent decided on what the anme will be. and yes moe was an awsome cook. he knew how to work and manage it but other idiots got in the way and messed it up. they had good food. but new manager
had water in their brains. and drove it to this.
chris y

Cookeville, TN

#19 Feb 26, 2011
They had a rodent problem.I know for a face acouple times when i would be walking to the bathroom i saw mice running across the floor.it was disgusting.Food was ok, but not worth havin to think about mice runnnig around.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cookeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
jae sherril (May '10) 2 hr A smart chic 42
see your child 3 hr Quarantine Cookev... 12
Moving to cookeville 4 hr Quarantine Cookev... 11
POF Losers 4 hr Jerry H 18
Why isn't Tracy Hudson at algood middle school 6 hr Leisha 4
Senior discount day at Kroger 7 hr Granny 8
Bowmans and More Etc 7 hr Ripped 3

Cookeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance