nashville pain center at cookeville

Posted in the Cookeville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Just curious

Sparta, TN

#1 Aug 11, 2011
I have had very bad back pain which has steadily gotten worse the last 3 years(I have 2 ruptured discs and nerve damage). I see my family dr every month, but he has now referred me to the NASHVILLE PAIN CENTER AT COOKEVILLE. I have an appointment in early September and I was just wondering if anyone has been to them and how they felt about the treatment they received from the doctors? I'm relieved I'm finally going to have something done, but at the same time a little nervous only because I've never been to a pain clinic and just really don't know what to expect? Any info at all on this place would be great! Thanks ya'll:) I would like to say though I have spoken to them 3 different times and the receptionist is a sweetheart and was very helpful with anything and everything and they got me in within a week of my dr faxing the referral to them.
Just curious

Sparta, TN

#3 Aug 12, 2011
You or no one else is keeping me or anyone in my family "up". My husband and I both work and as far as "pills" no one mentioned anything about them other than you. I never asked if I could get pills or anything like that. I only asked if anyone had been there before and how they felt about the treatment they received like for instance spine fusion, spinal blocks and therapy! If you wasn't so quick to pass judgement then you might have thought of that. It's people like YOU that make it impossible for people to post actual questions on here and get real, honest answers. There are actually people in the world that has pain in their everyday lives and sometimes they need help. Not everyone is just looking to score pills. GET OVER IT
Patient of NPC Cookeville

Sparta, TN

#4 Aug 21, 2011
Yes. Rachel is a fantastic provider. She takes a multi-pronged approach to pain management which incorporates a variety of treatment modalities. As far as narcotics go, she is ABSOLUTELY NOT a pill mill prescriber. She does not however withhold medicines from individuals who truly need them. Her goal is to use the least amount of medication possible that allows you to function. The goal of pain management is not to have a pain level of 0, that just isn't gonna happen. The goal is to bring your pain down to a level that you can live with and control. I will say one thing, however, she is nice, but don't mistake that for weakness. She will discharge you if she feels that you are non-compliant or have broken your pain contract. If you are sincere about managing your pain, then NPC will be fantastic for you. Good luck, and God bless.
Sharpie

Cookeville, TN

#5 Aug 21, 2011
Patient of NPC Cookeville wrote:
Yes. Rachel is a fantastic provider. She takes a multi-pronged approach to pain management which incorporates a variety of treatment modalities. As far as narcotics go, she is ABSOLUTELY NOT a pill mill prescriber. She does not however withhold medicines from individuals who truly need them. Her goal is to use the least amount of medication possible that allows you to function. The goal of pain management is not to have a pain level of 0, that just isn't gonna happen. The goal is to bring your pain down to a level that you can live with and control. I will say one thing, however, she is nice, but don't mistake that for weakness. She will discharge you if she feels that you are non-compliant or have broken your pain contract. If you are sincere about managing your pain, then NPC will be fantastic for you. Good luck, and God bless.
Is Rachel a doctor, nurse, or PA? Is there a doctor there that supervises?
Bladesmith

Cookeville, TN

#6 Aug 23, 2011
I'm a patient there. Now I can't speak to the more mechanical methods of helping pain (Because they won't do me any good), but I can tell you the staff is friendly, professional and wonderful to work with.

Yes, I heartily recommend them.
Jimmy Jack

Cookeville, TN

#7 Aug 23, 2011
I can tell you now from experience......those mechanical methods dont do crap to help out my chronic pain. JUST GIVE ME MY PILLS!!!!!!!!!!
question

United States

#8 Aug 23, 2011
Bladesmith wrote:
I'm a patient there. Now I can't speak to the more mechanical methods of helping pain (Because they won't do me any good), but I can tell you the staff is friendly, professional and wonderful to work with.
Yes, I heartily recommend them.
So if mechanical methods don't work, than what does?

Sparta, TN

#9 Aug 24, 2011
Rachel is a Nurse PRactitioner, ACNP to be exact. She practices under her supervising physician Dr. Homolya, MD. Rachel has 5 years experience in pain management, and has mainly done work in the greater Nashville area. I just had my 2nd appointment with her yesterday, and she was as friendly as always and willing to listen to what I had to say. More importantly, I was able to report to her that my resting pain level had gone down a whole 2 points without meds, which is a phenomenal thing! This means that we might be able to work to take down my dose and effectively cut all meds eventually, allowing me to live pain free like I did oncce upon a time.

Sparta, TN

#10 Aug 24, 2011
I just realized that I didn't provide her last name. It is:

Rachel Forsythe RN, MSN, ACNP-BC

She is Vanderbilt educated and experienced in pain management. The first day I went into her, I told her that I had the number of at least 3 different "Pill Mills" that I could go to and get anything I want, and that I did not come to her for her to prescribe me so many narcotics that I become a zombie, but that my goal was pain management. Since I started at the Nashville Pain Center, I am working to take control of my health again. The medicines I am on allow me not only to carry on my daily activities, but also I have started an exercise and biking regimen that will curve my chances of heart disease, obesity, and certain types of diabetes. Exercise is a great supplement to pain medication. I have also worked on changing up my diet, but that is because I suffer from a disease which causes massive abdominal pain, so unlike someone with back pain, there are not a lot of options for me to choose from. They can do a hypogastric nerve block, but it is risky. I don't even think they do RF Ablation for abdominal pain, I could be wrong though. I highly recommend NPC Cookeville.
nicole

Cookeville, TN

#11 Aug 25, 2011
I just went to my 2 apointment there and i have never been more pleased with a pain clinic before. I moved from florida 3 years ago where all they do is give you pills every month and never found out what is causing your pain. When i heard about this place through my family doctor i gave it a chance. The first time they got right down to why i am in so much pain for being only 28. They gave me the right meds and is doing injections and a nerve block next week. Witch they said i could be out of pain for up to 1 year.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#12 Aug 25, 2011
Nurse practitioners don't have "supervising physicians" in the state of Tennessee. They work under their own license.
miche

Cookeville, TN

#13 Aug 26, 2011
Not everyone who take pain meds is a junkie.

Sparta, TN

#14 Aug 26, 2011
@ROFLCOPTER You are wrong. I am an RN, and I can prove that you are wrong.

Here is Rachel's Practitioner Profile on the state of TN Dept of Health website:

http://health.state.tn.us/licensure/Practitio...

---
See that big section that says:

SUPERVISING PHYSICIAN: KENNETH E BARTHOLOMEW MD/3443 DICKERSON PK #590/NASH TN
----------

Don't believe me? Go here to the TN Health Licensure Verification page:

http://health.state.tn.us/licensure/

Type: 13357 in the License box, hit enter.

Now, on her record, click "View Practitioner Profile"

---
Nurse Practitioners and PA's are considered mid-level providers, in that they work under a supervising physician who dictates whether or not they can act to their full scope of practice as set forth by the state's nurse practice act, or whether or not that scope is limited. This also includes prescribing (assuming the practitioner is an APN w/ certificate and certificate of fitness to prescribe.)

I know this because I, myself am a first year Nurse Practitioner student in the Vanderbilt MSN program to obtain my ACNP-BC certification from the ANCC.

Check your facts next time.
insurance

Cookeville, TN

#15 Aug 26, 2011
Do they take medicaid insurance?

Sparta, TN

#16 Aug 26, 2011
I am not sure. You will have to call them and ask.
Norton

Cookeville, TN

#17 Aug 27, 2011
ROFLCOPTER wrote:
Nurse practitioners don't have "supervising physicians" in the state of Tennessee. They work under their own license.
N.P.'s are required to have a supervising physician. Has anyone ever met the "supervising physician" at NPC? Does he or she ever see patient's there or do they just review charts in Nashville? Probably something to ask about.

Sparta, TN

#18 Aug 31, 2011
I have not got a chance to meet him yet, because I just started at the pain center, but Rachel told me he comes in every Monday afternoon to perform the procedures that are on the books (Nerve blocks, etc). I am sure he also checks in from time to time as well.

I am sure I will meet him at some point or another, though. It'll be nice to shake his hand.
wondering

United States

#19 Aug 31, 2011
Does the NP charge the same as the MD? If I am paying for care that is just as expensive as an MD, then I want the MD. I had a horrible experience with an NP and I don't want to repeat it. I found her less than competent and she was licensed.

Sparta, TN

#20 Sep 1, 2011
I see Rachel 100% of the time. She is more than capable as a provider. I know that if you go to a pain center like the one in Antioch, you will end up seeing an FNP/NP anyways.
Sick

Cookeville, TN

#21 Sep 30, 2011
I am getting referred to this pain clinic. I was terrified when I was told that. I didnt want anyone to see my car there. they would think that pain pill junkie.. Like so many responses on here. But I have an incurrable disease and it has caused my intestines to stay inflammed. Because of this disease there are so many meds I cant take, like asprin, nsoids, steriods.This disease has also disrupted the function of my nerve endings in my hands and feet. Now this disease has deterrated a mucsle in my lower back. This causes me alot of pain. So much pain that my dr now is having to send me to a pain clinic. I hate Hate HATE needles.. I tried getting out of having a spinal when I was getting ready to have a c-section (but everyone knows u HAVE to have that one). I have tried all kinds of exerise, that I could do, stretching. Mucsle relaxers.. The pain meds I was on seemed to work for a while, but they started not working as long. and I have a full time job (40+ hours), 2 kids, church, family, and the sports that the kids are in. I dont have time to be down. I am NOT a junkie, but I am afraid. What do I expect when I go there? I had over $20,000 worth of tests last year (my part mind you), I am not on Tenncare, I pay for my own insurance. And they came up with this, I will have this forever???? Forever is a Long Long time... What do the spinal blocks do??? WHat other kind of shots should I try to get prepared for?? Do they do any chiropractor like stuff? Please so smart answers. I am asking a serious question. So many people around you at work, school, store, meetings, church are sick, Just cause you dont look sick, doesnt mean you are not sick. I hide my pain the best I can from my kids and my spouse helps also, keeping them occupied when I need to rest.. I have to go to work everyday.. I can not depend on uncle sam, I am too afraid too... I was told 13 years ago that I was sick enough for disability, but I fought that tooth and nail. I have rarely missed work, besides being in the hospital, I love my job and my family and I will NOT give into this disease..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cookeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 9 min WTSenior 152,228
Coat drive aims to spread warmth in the community 1 hr DeDominicis 1
icandy 1 hr DeDominicis 6
New TDVA Field Office Opens To Better Serve Mid... 1 hr DeDominicis 1
Start an Iron Order MC chapter in Cookeville (Sep '12) 1 hr DeDominicis 62
Halftime sports bar (Dec '10) 1 hr DeDominicis 51
unsolved murder (Jun '09) 1 hr DeDominicis 81
Cookeville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

Cookeville Jobs

Cookeville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE