cookeville football's lack of support

cookeville football's lack of support

Posted in the Cookeville Forum

First Prev
of 23
Next Last
small town texas

Kingsport, TN

#1 May 4, 2012
High school football is big across the country. Some towns (especially in Texas)shut down early on fridays for high school football. But here people don't even come to watch a playoff game. Why no support for the local team?
Saying

Cookeville, TN

#2 May 4, 2012
Because people have better things to do.
kewl karl

United States

#3 May 4, 2012
omg like everybody knows why like people don't go to like cookeville high football games. like this is a like a totally one horse town, dude. just look how like how awesome tennessee techs football tradition like has been forever man. like the football nuts like save their energy to like follow the ttu eagles, man.
CHS Football Player

Cookeville, TN

#4 May 5, 2012
kewl karl wrote:
omg like everybody knows why like people don't go to like cookeville high football games. like this is a like a totally one horse town, dude. just look how like how awesome tennessee techs football tradition like has been forever man. like the football nuts like save their energy to like follow the ttu eagles, man.
you say like one more time . Talk like a person. The CHS football was 7-5 won our 1st round playoff game and the stands were pretty full. Tech did not win it's 1st round playoff game. SO BOOM!
Really

Cookeville, TN

#5 May 5, 2012
CHS Football Player wrote:
<quoted text> you say like one more time . Talk like a person. The CHS football was 7-5 won our 1st round playoff game and the stands were pretty full. Tech did not win it's 1st round playoff game. SO BOOM!
And any of that will matter once your son graduates. Just another future college drop out.
Tired

Cookeville, TN

#6 May 5, 2012
small town texas wrote:
High school football is big across the country. Some towns (especially in Texas)shut down early on fridays for high school football. But here people don't even come to watch a playoff game. Why no support for the local team?
How many CHS chorus concerts did you go to? How many girls' softball games? How about the quiz bowl? Why no support for the local team?
what

Cookeville, TN

#7 May 6, 2012
Why does the football team and male basketball team get really nice, professionally designed posters while the girls basketball team posters always look like something designed by the yearbook staff? Where's the support for the local team?
mstea

United States

#8 May 6, 2012
small town texas wrote:
High school football is big across the country. Some towns (especially in Texas)shut down early on fridays for high school football. But here people don't even come to watch a playoff game. Why no support for the local team?
I'll go to them as soon as we make a big deal out of academics - you know the thing that our kids need when they're out of school and on their own.
Parent

Cookeville, TN

#9 May 6, 2012
How many academic contests has the OP been to, I wonder. My son entered the science fair. He was one of probably 10 out of a school of 2000 and nobody came by to look at the projects submitted. It's an absolute shame that the athletic departments get more attention from the public than things that actually matter. So before you want to cry about the football grandstands being less packed than usual, sit back and think of all the kids who actually enjoy learning and demonstrating their competencies who get no recognition whatsoever.
little ole me

Cookeville, TN

#10 May 6, 2012
Less than 6% of high school football players will go on to play for a college team. Less than 1% will be drafted by the NFL. However, the math and science nerds (you know, the ones who don't do sports because they're too busy trying to do something with their lives) are the ones designing your cars and finding cures for your type 2 diabetes.
mstea

United States

#11 May 6, 2012
Parent wrote:
How many academic contests has the OP been to, I wonder. My son entered the science fair. He was one of probably 10 out of a school of 2000 and nobody came by to look at the projects submitted. It's an absolute shame that the athletic departments get more attention from the public than things that actually matter. So before you want to cry about the football grandstands being less packed than usual, sit back and think of all the kids who actually enjoy learning and demonstrating their competencies who get no recognition whatsoever.
I have actually attended several science fairs and I cannot believe with what some of these kids come up with - they are really ingenious. I know it sounds really dull, but I have also attended math competitions and it would make you proud of the students who make this subject seem like it's easy.
Whatever

United States

#12 May 6, 2012
little ole me wrote:
Less than 6% of high school football players will go on to play for a college team. Less than 1% will be drafted by the NFL. However, the math and science nerds (you know, the ones who don't do sports because they're too busy trying to do something with their lives) are the ones designing your cars and finding cures for your type 2 diabetes.
Many high school and college athletes go on to be doctors, scientists, teachers and engineers. Athletic ability and intelligence are not mutually exclusive character traits. The dedication, work ethic and responsibility children learn from sports have been statistically proven to make them more likely to finish school and do well than those who do not play sports.
cb

Cookeville, TN

#13 May 6, 2012
Sorry, I must have been buy trying to raise money for the various clubs and vocational classes I'm a part of that get NO funding and NO support.
CHS Football Player

Cookeville, TN

#14 May 6, 2012
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
And any of that will matter once your son graduates. Just another future college drop out.
Son, I am the player and dropout your funny.
mstea

United States

#15 May 7, 2012
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Many high school and college athletes go on to be doctors, scientists, teachers and engineers. Athletic ability and intelligence are not mutually exclusive character traits. The dedication, work ethic and responsibility children learn from sports have been statistically proven to make them more likely to finish school and do well than those who do not play sports.
I have also read about this. True children need to learn athletic ability and teamwork. No doubt about that. I think some people get concerned when focus is on sports and not on academics. There have been many a football player who have sustained injuries and need other sikills to see them through. It would be nice if extracurricular activities were balanced.
Really Now

Cookeville, TN

#16 May 7, 2012
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Many high school and college athletes go on to be doctors, scientists, teachers and engineers. Athletic ability and intelligence are not mutually exclusive character traits. The dedication, work ethic and responsibility children learn from sports have been statistically proven to make them more likely to finish school and do well than those who do not play sports.
But that isn't because of football. Why is it that a lot of football players only do well in classes taught by coaches? I graduated with people who could barely write, buy you better believe they were on the football team. The players who go on to do great things do so because they were smart and well-disciplined in academics to begin with. Those are usually the people who had been in gifted programs all through elementary and middle school.
Really Now

Cookeville, TN

#17 May 7, 2012
CHS Football Player wrote:
<quoted text>Son, I am the player and dropout your funny.
**dropout[PERIOD] You're funny.

Son, I am disappoint.
CHS Football Player

Cookeville, TN

#18 May 7, 2012
Really Now wrote:
<quoted text>
**dropout[PERIOD] You're funny.
Son, I am disappoint.
Wow,your cool you have corrected a 16 year old.Thank you so much, don't know what I do without you.
just saying

Cookeville, TN

#19 May 7, 2012
CHS Football Player wrote:
<quoted text>Wow,your cool you have corrected a 16 year old.Thank you so much, don't know what I do without you.
At sixteen you should know the difference between your and you're. Just Saying.
Whatever

United States

#20 May 7, 2012
Really Now wrote:
<quoted text>
But that isn't because of football. Why is it that a lot of football players only do well in classes taught by coaches? I graduated with people who could barely write, buy you better believe they were on the football team. The players who go on to do great things do so because they were smart and well-disciplined in academics to begin with. Those are usually the people who had been in gifted programs all through elementary and middle school.
My sons are honor students and play sports. They have done both their entire school career, so it's hard to say which activity drove success in the others. Most of their friends on the football team also do well in school. I think you need to take a good look at the kids and not just the stereotypes society portrays. What you describe may be true at your school but it is not the norm at all schools.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 23
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cookeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Corruption at Tech 29 min Bob 74
Secrecy backfires on Mitch McConnell as Senate ... 1 hr Bronnie 6
From Real Doctors about Trump Care 1 hr Bronnie 1
Zach kurpeski drug dealer 2 hr Angrymother 1
Brooke Hale the meth dealer 2 hr nutzaplente 1
krystal auxier(casey) 7 hr Brutal 3
Parking at Tennessee Tech (Jun '11) 8 hr graduate 16

Cookeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cookeville Mortgages