of 7
Next Last
Putnam

Kansas City, MO

#1 Sep 14, 2010
Detective terminated after incident
by Mary Jo Denton
19 hrs ago | 3396 views | 9 ||
slideshow PUTNAM COUNTY -- A Putnam Sheriff's detective has been terminated from his job and is facing charges of public intoxication and assault following an incident that happened late Thursday night.

Detective Mike Hoover had been on administrative leave with pay from his job for several weeks in connection with a previous incident.

But on Thursday night, he was hospitalized after allegedly threatening suicide and trying to elude other officers searching for him, according to Sheriff David Andrews.

Hoover was reportedly distraught over personal issues and allegedly threatened to "do harm to himself," as Andrews put it.

On Thursday night, he left his residence in that state of mind, prompting a worried family member to summon other officers, sources said.

Deputy Jeremy Nash was among the officers who went to the scene, and he filed the following report:

"I was advised that Mr. Hoover had left the residence possibly wanting to do harm to himself and that several deputies were searching for him. Deputy Matt Hickey arrived on the scene with me and we stood by at the house for approximately two and a half hours.

"I observed a suit and tie laid out on the bed in one of the bedrooms of the residence and also a note that appeared to me to be a suicide note."

He said that Hoover family members talked to Hoover by telephone "begging him to come home and not harm himself."

Nash said Deputy Jamie Hunter had attempted to stop Hoover on Spring Creek Road "and he kept going."

"Later a trooper attempted to stop him on that same road and Mr. Hoover continued on. Deputy Josh Reams advised that he had spotted Mr. Hoover behind a barn near the residence and at that time I responded back to the residence.

"Deputy Reams and I got close to Mr. Hoover in the woods and at that time I announced for him to stop and he began to run from us."

The two deputies pursued Hoover on foot "until he was taken to the ground by other deputies in the back yard of the residence" and then "several deputies were able to restrain him with handcuffs and legcuffs," the report says.

The deputies then took Hoover to Cookeville Regional Medical Center, where he was admitted for evaluation.

Read more: Herald Citizen - Detective terminated after incident

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#2 Sep 14, 2010
It shouldn't have got to this point. He should have been fired a long time ago.
Mr Incredible

Princeton, WV

#3 Sep 14, 2010
The fact that there was an "incident" a few weeks ago before this one, and that it was not covered by the news, and probably the only reason this made the news was because there were too many witnesses, and there would have been too many questions. The "good 'ol boy system" is still alive and well within the Sheriff's Dept.
corruption

Cookeville, TN

#4 Sep 14, 2010
This town is so full of corruption. It's really sickening.

If one of us didn't stop when TWO different law enforcement agencies attempted traffic stops and we kept on going, we would be charged with FELONY EVADING ARREST!

If this was just a normal citizen, we would have been taken to the ER and released right back to the Putnam County Jail.

But, since he was a detective and right in there with the good 'ol boys, they didn't charge this moron with any felony and he should have been charged with felonies for what he did! We all know that he'll try and claim a temporary insanity defense.

When all is said and done, he'll get a few misdemeanor charges and the adjudication will be withheld so the creep can go get another job in law enforcement in a different county or city.
Concerned Citizen

Livingston, TN

#5 Sep 14, 2010
This thread needs to stop now. His family is having a hard time dealing with this right now. So have some respect and shut up.
Clueless

Cookeville, TN

#6 Sep 14, 2010
No one knows what a law enforcement officer goes thru on the day to day basis.. Then you add an investigation into the mix I am sure his stress levels are maxed right now. Just look at the previous post. All you people wanna do is cast stones and make judgements and not one with exception of the previous post think about the others involved in this...I am a firm believer in you can't say anything until you walk a mile in someone else shoes
just me

Princeton, WV

#7 Sep 14, 2010
I think we need to stop and think about what we are writing on this post. Mr. Hoover has two young children that are having to deal with all of this as well and as far as I am concerned that is the ONLY thing that matters! Please think before you speak!!!!
well

United States

#8 Sep 14, 2010
Clueless wrote:
No one knows what a law enforcement officer goes thru on the day to day basis.. Then you add an investigation into the mix I am sure his stress levels are maxed right now. Just look at the previous post. All you people wanna do is cast stones and make judgements and not one with exception of the previous post think about the others involved in this...I am a firm believer in you can't say anything until you walk a mile in someone else shoes
I agree with the last sentence, however, if he was so stressed because of his job he probably could've taken a leave of absence or gotten help. Something worse could've happened in this situation. People could've been seriously hurt.
five points

Cookeville, TN

#9 Sep 14, 2010
just me wrote:
I think we need to stop and think about what we are writing on this post. Mr. Hoover has two young children that are having to deal with all of this as well and as far as I am concerned that is the ONLY thing that matters! Please think before you speak!!!!
If they are that young...they are not on Topix reading our comments that are in reference to an article that was publicly printed.

He should have been thinking of his two young children instead of pulling the crap he pulled.

Who was the woman that fired his duty weapon? Anyone know? Hope the kids didn't see that happen.
five points

Cookeville, TN

#10 Sep 14, 2010
Concerned Citizen wrote:
This thread needs to stop now. His family is having a hard time dealing with this right now. So have some respect and shut up.
We can talk about whatever we want. This now ex-detective should have shown his own family some respect and the department he worked for a little respect.

I will not shut up. That's the problem with Cookeville, everyone wants to defend completely dangerous actions of an ex-cop and then tells everyone else to shut up when they voice their opinion. Typical!
just me

Princeton, WV

#11 Sep 14, 2010
five points wrote:
<quoted text>
If they are that young...they are not on Topix reading our comments that are in reference to an article that was publicly printed.
He should have been thinking of his two young children instead of pulling the crap he pulled.
Who was the woman that fired his duty weapon? Anyone know? Hope the kids didn't see that happen.
One is a teenager the other is younger so yes, they could very well have access to read such as this. Yes, it was in the newspaper & on the news which is fine. He does not deserve any special treatment at all I was only asking that folks be careful about what they might say here as to protect the children. He should have been protecting his children and he has not does that make it right for others to judge or say cruel things?
five points

Cookeville, TN

#12 Sep 14, 2010
just me wrote:
<quoted text>
One is a teenager the other is younger so yes, they could very well have access to read such as this. Yes, it was in the newspaper & on the news which is fine. He does not deserve any special treatment at all I was only asking that folks be careful about what they might say here as to protect the children. He should have been protecting his children and he has not does that make it right for others to judge or say cruel things?
What has been said in here that you feel is cruel and potentially damaging to his children?

People are going to judge. It is what it is.
DUH

Princeton, WV

#13 Sep 14, 2010
five points wrote:
<quoted text>
We can talk about whatever we want. This now ex-detective should have shown his own family some respect and the department he worked for a little respect.
I will not shut up. That's the problem with Cookeville, everyone wants to defend completely dangerous actions of an ex-cop and then tells everyone else to shut up when they voice their opinion. Typical!
If you don't like it here maybe you should move! It is our right to have our opinions sometimes we tend to forget about the ones directly effected by a situation. The Sheriff has handled the situation as he should have. No one is perfect, not even our law enforcement officers. Although they are held to a higher standard than a normal citizen. I am sure that this detective will pay dearly for the errors of his ways. God Bless us all!
five points

Cookeville, TN

#14 Sep 14, 2010
DUH wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't like it here maybe you should move! It is our right to have our opinions sometimes we tend to forget about the ones directly effected by a situation. The Sheriff has handled the situation as he should have. No one is perfect, not even our law enforcement officers. Although they are held to a higher standard than a normal citizen. I am sure that this detective will pay dearly for the errors of his ways. God Bless us all!
Why should I move? Who are you to tell me to move from here? The imperfection has been commonplace here lately. This is the third firing in 2010 in this particular department.

You are awfully defensive on this subject. You have some connection to the man or the S/O, because you are still living in a world of denial.
Country girl

Cookeville, TN

#15 Sep 14, 2010
Welcome to the free speech page! gossip if u will, cause in the south that is what we do . Truth be told we dont know what has happened to this ex-
detective in his personal life and sometimes we all take our personal problems to work along with all the stress that is already there. Sometimes in life we come to a point to where we only consider the feelings of our selves not that of our children or spouses. So do talk gossip but none of us no what we would do in someone elses position. DO WE? He has been punished by his boss but what further punishment will he recieve? He may just get a slap on the wrist like most people who break the law. Or it could be much worse,But our joke of a justice system will decide that.
questions created

Crossville, TN

#16 Sep 15, 2010
He should get what anyone else thats not in law enforcement would get. Felony evade, resisting arrest and charges for any other crime he committed. Sorry for his children but also sorry for the children of non-law enforcement people who do the same crimes but do the time.
delt with

Gainesboro, TN

#17 Sep 15, 2010
a##hole
Suzi Q

United States

#18 Sep 15, 2010
You people have no idea. If this were any other Joe in this town, the story might have made the paper, but it sure wouldn't have made Channel 5 News. How would you react to the "personal issues" with which he was faced that night? You should know, just from participating in these forums, that not everything you read can be factual (No offense toward to Mrs. Denton). So really, how many of you know where Mr. Hoover really is? The article clearly states that he is facing charges on the misdemeanor (not felony) crimes he committed that night, and makes no mention of his release. Who are you to stand behind a few media stories and run him and other law enforcement into the ground? If you take an objective step back and look at the "problems" that are coming from our local officers, maybe the leadership, of whom WE elect, should be more the center of your scrutiny? Are things handled as they should be in our county sheriff's department? It really isn't fair to pick apart the personal lives of our police officers, but on the other hand, they know when they take that oath - their private lives turn public. Their families and friends, however, do not necessarily choose this publicity, most of it negative. Everyone has a breaking point. You just may not have experienced yours yet.
someone who knows better

Cookeville, TN

#19 Sep 15, 2010
All I have to say ... is Look at the very top ... The Deputies did not have all these problems and all this stress and had to worry about being fired under Abston did they ? Enuf said ! call a spade a spade !
Crazy Cop

Livingston, TN

#20 Sep 15, 2010
It is plane and simple. If you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cookeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Institutional wholesale company (May '11) 1 hr Bogo 165
Strange guy who doesn't wear shoes 2 hr touche 25
"live anthrax" was shipped, apparently by accid... 7 hr ttays 3
Oldies on the radio in Cookeville (Nov '09) 7 hr Ramblin Rose 12
Michael TYrone Johnson 12 hr Arg 18
brittany knight (Mar '11) 12 hr Friend of worm 15
Junk & overgrown yards in Cookeville 12 hr homeowner 66
More from around the web

Cookeville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE