Does anyone know why you have to decl...

Does anyone know why you have to declare a political party?

Posted in the Cookeville Forum

Ollie Vansvuet

Cookeville, TN

#1 Feb 27, 2012
Can someone please tell me why you have to declare to vote Democrat or Republican in the primary elections?No one seems to know.
Voter

Cookeville, TN

#2 Feb 27, 2012
Ollie Vansvuet wrote:
Can someone please tell me why you have to declare to vote Democrat or Republican in the primary elections?No one seems to know.
That's an easy one -- you cannot vote in both democratic and republican primaries. A primary's purpose is for voters of that party to choose their nominee for the general election (August for local, November for national elections).

Many states do not allow "crossover" voting, but Tennessee does. This means that if you're a democrat, you can vote in the republican primary if you wish -- but not in the democrat primary also. If you could vote in both, you could support your man in the party you belong to, and vote for whom you think would be the weakest opponent to beat for the opposite party. That would be unfair.

All that being said, I do remember crossing over in 1984. There was no question that President Reagan would be renominated for a second term in the republican primaries, so I crossed over and voted for Jessie Jackson, the guy I figured would be the easiest to defeat.

It was all a moot point, as I think Reagan ended up winning 49 states. Mondale won only his home state of Minnesota and DC, I think. Reagan came within 3800 votes of winning all 50 states.

So, bottom line, you must decide in advance which party's primary you care the most about and choose when you vote. There is one ballot you will be given for democrats and a different one for republicans. That's the reason you must declare.

Here in Cookeville, there's a lively contest for the Assessor's office between incumbent Rhonda Chaffin and Jason Scott in the democratic primary. But if I wish to vote for Santorum in the republican presidential primary, I cannot cast a vote in the democratic primary.

But in August, you can vote for whatever candidate you wish in the local general election, regardless of party. Same thing in November for our congressional and presidential elections, etc.

Hope that helped you.
Timothy

United States

#3 Feb 27, 2012
Voter wrote:
<quoted text>
That's an easy one -- you cannot vote in both democratic and republican primaries. A primary's purpose is for voters of that party to choose their nominee for the general election (August for local, November for national elections).
Many states do not allow "crossover" voting, but Tennessee does. This means that if you're a democrat, you can vote in the republican primary if you wish -- but not in the democrat primary also. If you could vote in both, you could support your man in the party you belong to, and vote for whom you think would be the weakest opponent to beat for the opposite party. That would be unfair.
All that being said, I do remember crossing over in 1984. There was no question that President Reagan would be renominated for a second term in the republican primaries, so I crossed over and voted for Jessie Jackson, the guy I figured would be the easiest to defeat.
It was all a moot point, as I think Reagan ended up winning 49 states. Mondale won only his home state of Minnesota and DC, I think. Reagan came within 3800 votes of winning all 50 states.
So, bottom line, you must decide in advance which party's primary you care the most about and choose when you vote. There is one ballot you will be given for democrats and a different one for republicans. That's the reason you must declare.
Here in Cookeville, there's a lively contest for the Assessor's office between incumbent Rhonda Chaffin and Jason Scott in the democratic primary. But if I wish to vote for Santorum in the republican presidential primary, I cannot cast a vote in the democratic primary.
But in August, you can vote for whatever candidate you wish in the local general election, regardless of party. Same thing in November for our congressional and presidential elections, etc.
Hope that helped you.
Well said!
Ollie Vansvuet

Cookeville, TN

#4 Feb 27, 2012
So if I want to vote for Rhonda Chaffin or Jason Scott,I cannot vote in the Presidential primary.I see nothing fair about this.Which is more important to me?The Presidential election of course.That is why there is such a poor turn out in the primaries especially with the younger generations.They are being told "hey" "you have to choose a party to vote".Guess Rhonda Chaffin or Jason Scott just lost my vote.
froot loops

United States

#5 Feb 27, 2012
Voter wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope that helped you.
You're a bag of hot air. Get a damn life. still harping about jesse jackson and reagan? Really? Its 2012.
Voter

Cookeville, TN

#6 Feb 27, 2012
froot loops wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a bag of hot air. Get a damn life. still harping about jesse jackson and reagan? Really? Its 2012.
Dude, did your cat piss in your Fruit Loops this morning? What crawled up your pie hole and died?

I just used that as an example of crossover voting and how it may be legitimately used for one's desired purposes.

You weren't part of this conversation anyway. I didn't know they gave inmates access to computers at reform schools.....
Voter

Cookeville, TN

#7 Feb 27, 2012
Ollie Vansvuet wrote:
So if I want to vote for Rhonda Chaffin or Jason Scott,I cannot vote in the Presidential primary.I see nothing fair about this.Which is more important to me?The Presidential election of course.That is why there is such a poor turn out in the primaries especially with the younger generations.They are being told "hey" "you have to choose a party to vote".Guess Rhonda Chaffin or Jason Scott just lost my vote.
They chose to run as democrats, so you're right, you can either vote to pick one of them or in the republican presidential primary, but not both. There is another candidate who's not a democrat running for the assessor's office, can't think of his name or party (if any) right now. You can vote for him in August, or if you wish, whomever wins the primary next month.

Happy voting!
Assessor Race

Cookeville, TN

#8 Feb 29, 2012
Travis Roberts is running for Property Assessor on the Republican ticket. He will face the winner of the Chaffin and Scott race in August.

Since he doesn't have an opponent in the Republican primary, he doesn't have much advertisement out yet. But that's starting to change. I see he now has a billboard on Interstate Drive and I've been seeing a few of his signs popping up on corners
Voter

Cookeville, TN

#9 Mar 1, 2012
Assessor Race wrote:
Travis Roberts is running for Property Assessor on the Republican ticket. He will face the winner of the Chaffin and Scott race in August.
Since he doesn't have an opponent in the Republican primary, he doesn't have much advertisement out yet. But that's starting to change. I see he now has a billboard on Interstate Drive and I've been seeing a few of his signs popping up on corners
I found his website voteroberts.org to be very professionally made, and will seriously consider voting for him. Seems like a good guy, and well qualified.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cookeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lavar ball VS President Trump 18 min Nobama 4
Bowman and more scammers 20 min No thank u I will... 27
Butch chaffin must go 30 min Needs to Go 149
Tennessee tech coach satterfield (Mar '17) 1 hr Community concerned 58
Kayla Faye randolph 1 hr Corie 3
are there any intelligent people in cookeville? 2 hr MAGA 37
Class of 1977 Women 4 hr SYLNTGRNIZPPL 14

Cookeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance